Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, I NEED some advice.

I currently have the following setup DVD - wise, all going out to a Mits HD1000U projector on an 80 screen:

Pioneer 588A - love it. My old standby from pre-HD days. I have it hooked up for DVD-A and SACD but have never used it for that (go figure)
Oppo 970 - Great player. I now use it for upconverting my SD DVD's via HDMI. Results are OK I suppose but I have nothing to compare
Xbox 360 - IMHO is terrible to use as a DVD player - WAY too loud for me. I now have the HD DVD add on and it looks great. Audio sucks. Still is kind of loud IMHO compared to what I am used to in the silent Oppo.

I would really really really like to ditch the Pio and Oppo and get a single solution. Maybe even return the 360 HD DVD add-on as I really don't like the noise. Should I go for the A2 or maybe wait for the universal player to come out? If I wait - it will be a while if it is expensive. The A2 is right at my acceptance level cost wise.

I have not read much comparing the SD upconversion of the A2 versus the Oppo 970. Better? Worse? I HAVE read that the layer change is LONG on the A2 for upconverted DVD's. Is this indeed true? If so that really sucks.

Also, I have read that CUE is a problem on the A2. Another possible deal killer. Is this very noticeable?

I like the idea of seeing a universal player come out - but fear it will be another one of these $999 deals on a first gen player from a company I am not familiar with quality-wise (LG) for DVD players.

Is it still too soon to pull the trigger? Live with the 360 add-on for now until a better option presents itself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Here goes:

Quote:

Also, I have read that CUE is a problem on the A2. Another possible deal killer. Is this very noticeable?

Not noticeable.

Quote:

I have not read much comparing the SD upconversion of the A2 versus the Oppo 970. Better? Worse?

A2 is better.

Quote:

I HAVE read that the layer change is LONG on the A2 for upconverted DVD's.

Thsi is the first i've heard of it. It may not be perfectly seemless, but it appears good enough that most reviewers don't comment on it.

Quote:

Is it still too soon to pull the trigger? Live with the 360 add-on for now until a better option presents itself?

I would buy the A2 and sell/return the oppo, pioneer, and addon drive if i was in your situation. However if you need region free SD DVD playback, it's probably best to keep the oppo.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #3 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmmmm well that clarifies a bit for sure. I like the idea of the Oppo being region free, but I have never had the use for that either... not sure what I would buy that would be a different region (??)
post #4 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrx View Post

Hmmmm well that clarifies a bit for sure. I like the idea of the Oppo being region free, but I have never had the use for that either... not sure what I would buy that would be a different region (??)

I like being able to get some releases early or before they hit the theaters. The Descent was one such title release in R2 before it hit the theaters in the states. You can buy "Children of Men" on 1/15, it's released in wide circulation on 1/5. There are titles that may never see the light of day in the US on sd dvd. I would visit the international forum at dvdtalk.com for a lot of info.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

If you're like me and have stopped buying DVDs in favour of HDDVD then a region free DVD player will be of no use to you.

Do note the A2 is region free for HDDVD which is a bonus if you are looking to future uses.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #6 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

This may be a nonissue for the OP, but it was a HUGE deal to me, hence my keeping my Oppo DVD player in addition to owning a Toshiba HD-A1 and a PS3:

I assume you have no PAL or non-region-1 DVDs?

If you do, you'll want to keep the Oppo as part of your system. To my knowledge there is no HD-DVD player *or* Blu-Rayer player on the market right now that will upconvert PAL and non-region-1 NTSC SD-DVDs.

One of the areas I focus on in my collecting is music DVDs, and there are boatloads of obscure/niche European and Japanese releases that will likely never find their way to HD disc (or at least not for many years).

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #7 of 7 Old 01-04-2007, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hmm... well, maybe I should keep the Oppo and unload the Pioneer. I am maxed with my number of inputs, so any new arrival would have to replace one i already have.

I suppose keeping the Oppo would allow for me to at least "broaden my horizons" in terms of content and I might actually order up some DVD's from the nether-regions of the world

The Pio of course is setup for DVD-A and SACD right now - but I have never ever used it and don't think I will. At least I think I would sooner buy a different region DVD or PAL DVD before a DVD-a or SACD..... oh parting with old favorite hardware is such sorrow and hard to do....
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page