AVS Forum banner

BT100 is LG’s Blu-Ray/HD DVD combo unit $1199

21K views 246 replies 141 participants last post by  Sitarow 
#1 ·
I was told it will be shipping by the end of this month. From LG direct not a third party source.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes /forum/post/0

That's good to hear the high price, because it will give HD-DVD more sales. And I highly doubt LG's player will offer better picture quality than Sony and Toshiba.

Definitely, and the possibility of TotalHD will make a dual-format player moot. On the other hand, at that price, there may definitely be no need to purchase any Blu-Ray player whatsoever, providing that it can demonstrate speed, top playback quality and features. In essence, any future Blu-Ray adopter can immediately be "format neutral" with a dual-format player. It will not, however, stop HD DVD players from selling, especially when you can get the A2 for about $399 and the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on for $199 or less.

#7 ·
I am not surprised.... my goal was, if I end up and buy two players (have the A2 now) then I want to do it for under $800 combined "out the door".... I realize a combo "now in 2007" won't be $400.. but 1,200 + tax+shipping thus out the door (around $1350)... is of no interest to me.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M /forum/post/0

They need to drop that price about three or four hundred

exxxxxacccctlllly!!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsfanoh /forum/post/0

exxxxxacccctlllly!!

I've read that the HD-A2 will drop down to $299 in the near future too.

...Angelo

#12 ·
Wow. To rich for my blood. If I didn't already have an HD-A1 (that works FLAWLESSLY, btw) I would seriously consider it. I like the idea of only using 1 input on my Denon, but I will be able to score a Samsung cheap enough, soon enough.

J6P won't even know this exists at that price.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brywalker /forum/post/0

J6P won't even know this exists at that price.

Well you can call me a J6P and yes any player over $1,000 is just plan nuts.

My goal is to keep this forum under control lol and not let everyone spend all there money on just a dvd player.

JK about that but really spending anything close to a dvd player near $1,000 is just silly talk.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 /forum/post/0

I've read that the HD-A2 will drop down to $299 in the near future too.

...Angelo

I heard this as well, but I think $399 will likely be the drop. But, you never know!

#18 ·
Id rather get 360 addon and PS3 for the same price

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtsfanoh /forum/post/0

I am not surprised.... my goal was, if I end up and buy two players (have the A2 now) then I want to do it for under $800 combined "out the door".... I realize a combo "now in 2007" won't be $400.. but 1,200 + tax+shipping thus out the door (around $1350)... is of no interest to me.

amen brother, not gonna be many sold at that price!

#20 ·
I suspect the A2 will indeed drop to around $299 come April '07 or so.

I think this will be due to a less expensive optical OEM drive unit becoming available around that time.

Having looked at the guts of the A2, I'm pretty sure Toshiba can swing a total cost of around $100 for the whole thing, less the optical drive of course.

Should Toshiba source an internal HD-DVD drive for ~100-150 clams, they won't be subsidizing @ $299!

Btw, has anyone heard of blue-diode shortages lately, despite 1+ milling such devices having been sold in the last couple months? Me neither...

$299 +$499 PS3 20GB = $798.

BT100 needs to be available for less than that to compete since you're not getting a game console throw in for free. $1199? No way!

#21 ·
RE: $1199 MSRP...

Considering that of the four currently available Blu-ray standalone players, two are HIGHER priced than the announced LG dual format player, then I would have to speculate that all this complaining from people about the $1199 price must be, you got it, bad news for Blu-ray.

If a majority of people think $1200 is too much for a player that plays ALL current HD disc content, then I would have to guess both Panasonic ($1300) and Pioneer ($1500) must be sucking hindtit trying to sell a (gold) brick that plays only half of the titles out there.

#25 ·
Heh as someone who's interested in both HD-DVD and BD it's kind of funny to look at the responses to this thread in the BD forum and this thread here. Over there the general sentiment is "oh cool that's about the same as the other BD players and for around the same price you can be format neutral." Here it's whoa 1200 bucks?? Who has 1200 bucks to drop on this thing?!?!

Sounds good for HD-DVD to me. People in the market for HD-DVD are unlikely to spend $800 extra to add BD, but people in the market for a standalone BD are more likely to be willing to spend about the same and add on HD-DVD though.

To me this seems like a no-brainer though. $1200 for a dual format player, or $1200 for a PS3, 360, and HD-DVD add-on? Gimme the PS3 and 360 any day of the week. And if you want to save $300 bucks...a PS3 and an A2 and you're still coming out way ahead.

#26 ·
It's not a mainstream product just like the XA2 isn't or Sony's blu ray, or Pioneer, or Panasonic's. It will be a niche market until the price of blu ray and hd dvd comes further down. But if you ask me would I want this or an XA2 or any of the blu ray players and if I'm in the market for a higher end player this is a no brainer. Of course it also depends on the other specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.