Xa2 in Canada...When and Where? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called Toshiba Canada....they had no info. I have been calling high end HT stores....and they don't know when or even IF they will be carrying them. I want to buy one but can't find any Canadian authorized source. Anyone have any advice or info on the Canadian market or availability......

Toronto GTA info would be great!!!!

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
When I was in Best Buy (in Ottawa) before Christmas, the Guru there told me they would be getting the XA2 early in the new year. They do have the A2 on their web site ($600) and they are even supposed to be in stock in some of their stores. The XA2 still doesn't show up on their site, but I suspect it will within a couple of weeks.

Mike
post #3 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine ball View Post

I called Toshiba Canada....they had no info. I have been calling high end HT stores....and they don't know when or even IF they will be carrying them. I want to buy one but can't find any Canadian authorized source. Anyone have any advice or info on the Canadian market or availability......

Toronto GTA info would be great!!!!

Peter

In Winnipeg BB, Future Shop, etc. I have yet to see a Sony blu ray player, or Panasonic (of course I haven't seen a PS3 in stock yet as well). So I was surprised just before Xmas when FS was demoing the A2. That was a few weeks after the U.S. release date. I'd say end of January. I think the price will be $1299.00.
post #4 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They were selling the HD-A2 at Bestbuy befopre Xmas in Canada for $449CDN!! they had some near Montreal near my wifes family. That was a good price I think

Now I see they are $599 on the website
post #5 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

They were selling the HD-A2 at Bestbuy befopre Xmas in Canada for $449CDN!! they had some near Montreal near my wifes family. That was a good price I think

Yeah but we're trying to figure the XA2 date and price. I'm comparing the price to the Samsung blu player which was retailing in the U.S. for $999 and being sold at the local BB and FS here at $1299.00 (well, sometimes $1199.00). The discontinued Samsung model is now $999 in BB which is commensurate with the msrp in the US of $799. XA2 is retailing in the U.S. at $999 so I would expect a $200-300 or so difference here in Canada.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP View Post

Actually I don't care about price..........I simply want to buy one from a reputable dealer and both BB and FS have repeatedly stated that they will NOT carry the XA2 ever! Other high end HT stores have said almost the same thing. So all I am looking for is anyone who is aware of a firm committment to sell one, preferably in the GTA

Peter
post #7 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I don't care about price..........I simply want to buy one from a reputable dealer and both BB and FS have repeatedly stated that they will NOT carry the XA2 ever! Other high end HT stores have said almost the same thing. So all I am looking for is anyone who is aware of a firm committment to sell one, preferably in the GTA

Peter

Don't know why such a statement would/could be made. Maybe their experience with the poor sales of the pricey first gen Samsung player left an unpleasant taste in their mouth and a large surplus. They might feel at that price point comparably they wouldn't see much of a desire for it and now they've staked out the pricing point as the PS3/Xbox 360 HD DVD addon/A2. Phoning a local BB I simply didn't have a commitment but not outright rejection.

Of course as I stated here in Winnipeg, I've never seen the Sony or Panasonic players so again it appears the Samsung player has left a poor residue in their collective mouths on the price point issue.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 02:37 PM

I have one on order. My dealer has been told by Toshiba Canada that they will arrive in Canada this coming week and I should have mine the week of the 15th. For reference, I am in the Ottawa area.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I had a thread about this a couple weeks ago... Musonic in Toronto is getting a few, and places like Teletime should be able to get them.

If I'm to get one, I'd love to a) sell my A1 to a worthy person, and b) go in with a few people to try and get a good deal. If anyone's interested, PM me...

post #10 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Crutchfield in canada over the net @ 1199 and visions will also carry it @ 1199.

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Pro...tCode=052HDXA2
post #11 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There's one on eBay right now and the seller will ship to Canada.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmaz View Post

Crutchfield in canada over the net @ 1199 and visions will also carry it @ 1199.

http://www.crutchfieldcanada.com/Pro...tCode=052HDXA2

Shows out of stock.
post #13 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPforMe View Post

Shows out of stock.

Thanks for helping me make my point! I am looking for certainty not speculation. To repeat, I am looking for a reputable authorized dealer who actually confirms that they have stock or at worst a commmitted date of availability. So ebay doesn't cut it! "out of stock" labels in advance of any shipments doesn't cut it. I am looking for definate information about availability in Canada and preferable in the Toronto GTA. The Toshiba Canada HQ 'phone person' had no information whatsoever. I realize that I was talking to a junior clerk (not to malign junior clerks) but this post originally was intended to get a better assessment as to where I can go to actually buy the HD-XA2......in this lifetime!

Peter
post #14 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 06:25 AM

I went to FS they said that they will not carry XA2, however crazy crazy and advance in winnipeg will have the xA2 aroud jan 15 and the rice will be 999.00 at advance electronics.

Blue-Ray Disc 276
post #15 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: guarding my retirement igloo...with a McMillan TAC-50 long range sniper rifle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedit View Post

I have one on order. My dealer has been told by Toshiba Canada that they will arrive in Canada this coming week and I should have mine the week of the 15th. For reference, I am in the Ottawa area.

What store in Ottawa?

You do not stop playing because you get old...
You get old because you stop playing.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by octogon View Post

I went to FS they said that they will not carry XA2, however crazy crazy and advance in winnipeg will have the xA2 aroud jan 15 and the rice will be 999.00 at advance electronics.

Is there Advanced Electronic in the Toronto area?
post #17 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yess. Price parity with the U.S. finally even though our dollar has taken a fall lately.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was at Future Shop yesterday and they said that they would be carrying the XA2, and that it would be about $1200. The sales guy said look for it in about a month.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #19 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't want to hijack the thread but I see Best Buy U.S. is already advertising the LG dual player. As far as the Canadian Best Buy site. It is probably the most pathetic excuse for a site I've seen. The only player they are showing is the Sammy player 1st gen for $1299. BB Canada get off your rears or more and more people will be taking their business elsewhere.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Don't want to hijack the thread but I see Best Buy U.S. is already advertising the LG dual player. As far as the Canadian Best Buy site. It is probably the most pathetic excuse for a site I've seen. The only player they are showing is the Sammy player 1st gen for $1299. BB Canada get off your rears or more and more people will be taking their business elsewhere.

Yes sir we agree about BB and the poor excuse for a web site! The info about the LG player is very very exciting. You wouldn't happen to know how well the specs compare with the Xa2 aside from the dual compatibility. The Xa2 appears to be getting excellent early reviews out of the gate. If the LG player compares favourably I would probably see an end to this silly format war.

This doesn't hijack the thread HPforMe it enriches it from my standpoint. Thanks for the info.......

Peter
post #21 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes sir we agree about BB and the poor excuse for a web site! The info about the LG player is very very exciting. You wouldn't happen to know how well the specs compare with the Xa2 aside from the dual compatibility. The Xa2 appears to be getting excellent early reviews out of the gate. If the LG player compares favourably I would probably see an end to this silly format war.

This doesn't hijack the thread HPforMe it enriches it from my standpoint. Thanks for the info.......

Peter

Peter

Check the several threads on this side for specs and Engadget as well. Here's one thread on the LG which is pretty long:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=780915

It sounds like the XA2 is a supremely good scaler and upconverting player as has just been posted on a thread.

The huge plus on the LG side is the 1080p/24 and analogs out and of course ONE player reading both formats. Unifies your equipment. It does not have HDMI 1.3. It does appear to support all the codecs except DTS-HD (will do core only). Looks very promising. But just reading the scaling and upconverting tests on the XA2 wets my apetite for that one.

Engadget pics:http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/07...-player-1-199/
post #22 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Peter

Check the several threads on this side for specs and Engadget as well. Here's one thread on the LG which is pretty long:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=780915

It sounds like the XA2 is a supremely good scaler and upconverting player as has just been posted on a thread.

The huge plus on the LG side is the 1080p/24 and analogs out and of course ONE player reading both formats. Unifies your equipment. It does not have HDMI 1.3. It does appear to support all the codecs except DTS-HD (will do core only). Looks very promising. But just reading the scaling and upconverting tests on the XA2 wets my apetite for that one.

HPforMe,
Thanks very much for all the info. I'm off to explore the link! I will probably do both as I currently use the oppo 470 for SD DVD's that feeds an Anthem D2 that takes the 480i over hdmi and does phenomenal things to the result on the stream to the Ruby. The Xa2(I have the Xa1) is to give me 1080p for the HD through the whole chain. The LG 1080P 24 is for both formats icing on the cake but without knowing anything I suspect a lengthy wait for the product.

By the way just on the off chance that your moniker has any reference to your interests you wouldn't by any chance have an HP z558 in your rack would you??

Peter
post #23 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Peter

No I have the HP MD6580N DLP set,lol. You have the Ruby? That's nice. You definitely are looking for a 1080p/24 output. I understand it does 48, 72,96 Hz display from a 1080p/24 source. Is this a setting on the Ruby and where can you see the Hz it's displaying?

My HP takes and displays 1080p/24 but a couple of members have noted clipping issues either using the Sony blu player or now the XA2. Curious.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Peter

No I have the HP MD6580N DLP set,lol. You have the Ruby? That's nice. You definitely are looking for a 1080p/24 output. I understand it does 48, 72,96 Hz display from a 1080p/24 source. Is this a setting on the Ruby and where can you see the Hz it's displaying?

My HP takes and displays 1080p/24 but a couple of members have noted clipping issues either using the Sony blu player or now the XA2. Curious.

Yes and its 1080p 60 on HDMI. 24 is only over dvi for the moment but a number of complex steps/upgrades and combinations are expected to change that...... The anthem statement D2 Tweaking thread lead by Levesque has a deep core of expertise that is one of the most educational sites on the web from my point of view. Drhankz is very close to the issue and I suspect will resolve it before even sony comprehends what the issues are! Pariseau is one of the best educators on these subjects I've ever read......no bias just the facts! Worth the time for an excellent education.

Peter

ps. as far as clipping goes I believe that the D2 properly placed removes much of the likelyhood of those issues as you put any strain in the device most likely configured to handle it.
post #25 of 31 Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM

I am too loking forward to get this xa2 to pair it to my Mits HC 5000 1080P projector , i had a VP Crystalio 2, and was not impressed with it, all are talking about the xa2 of having an fantastic Q picture, and with update will be able to output 1080p24, that will be gold.

Blue-Ray Disc 276
post #26 of 31 Old 01-08-2007, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I live in Edmonton - Alberta and Iam looking for the XA2 player.... I have the A1 but I would like to upgrade! Is there any suggestions?

PS. Id also shop online as that is no problem for me either.... I apreciate the help!

I support High Definition Content regardless of color!
ISF Calibration is my friend, and should be yours too
Enjoying TrueHD, DTS:MA and LPCM
OAR - What else is there!?
post #27 of 31 Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

My dealer in Quebec just told me he should receive some Toshiba XA2 today and tomorrow, and will ship mine tomorrow.

He's usually really reliable... but we never know... Canada is often forgotten by those manufacturers...
post #28 of 31 Old 01-08-2007, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It's no wonder when a lot of people I work with (not exactly poor) and people in my area (Southern Quebec) still don't mind watching VHS' and are only getting rid of them due lack of new titles. Most people I know (especially francophones) don't give a darn about HD mostly due to lack of content. I remember reading DVD ownership was the lowest out of the provinces a while back. I usually have to order out of province(or country) for the good stuff

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #29 of 31 Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick. View Post

It's no wonder when a lot of people I work with (not exactly poor) and people in my area (Southern Quebec) still don't mind watching VHS' and are only getting rid of them due lack of new titles. Most people I know (especially francophones) don't give a darn about HD mostly due to lack of content. I remember reading DVD ownership was the lowest out of the provinces a while back. I usually have to order out of province(or country) for the good stuff

But Patrick, with no regional coding the entire world of product from France is now available.....I suspect a well organized import business for 'La Belle Province' would open up a huge francophone library to a poorly served population. It wouldn't be cheap but as you say .....for those who can afford it.

Levesque,
If I may ask does your dealer have an affiliate in Ontario?????

Peter
post #30 of 31 Old 01-11-2007, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

When I was in Best Buy (in Ottawa) before Christmas, the Guru there told me they would be getting the XA2 early in the new year. They do have the A2 on their web site ($600) and they are even supposed to be in stock in some of their stores. The XA2 still doesn't show up on their site, but I suspect it will within a couple of weeks.

Mike

On Tuesday I was in Best Buy again and checked with the Guru. He says they will be getting the XA2, but he doesn't know when or how much. Basically, it sounds like boxes will arrive at the store and that's the first notice they'll get.

Mike
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page