A Tosh HDDVD early adopter buys a PS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Teisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought one of the first Tosh A1's in our area and have gone through all the updates and watched tons of movies, both HD and SD. It is a great player and even though it skips on occasion and takes forever to load I still love it.

Last week I bought a PS3 20gig to become format free and here are my thoughts on it.

I have to say I am impressed. This little black box that looks like a prop from a 70's space movie walks the walk and talks the talk. I tried the one movie that came with it Taledaga Nights. The movie was inserted into the player (no tray, just a slot). It loaded fairly fast and was at the menu screen in a very short time. To someone that is used to the Tosh this player was fast, almost as fast as a normal dvd player.

Ok thats good, now the picture. Ok this movie sucks for trying to determine a picture but it looked ok after adjusting my tv to get the color and tone correct. Sound was good coming from the optical out.

It was very fast for using fast forward or pause or or going in and out of the menu. I could pause it and change to games in the PS3, than go back and it would start where I left off. This was an hd player that played almost like a normal dvd player. Again impressed.

I rented another movie to learn more about the picture it produced. I tried the Covenant and it looked very good. I tried the player at 1080i and 1080p and will say that 1080p looked better to me with a sharp but smoother picture over 1080i. This could be the way my tv resolves 1920x540 though.

One more thing that really impressed me was the disk coating. The coating on the HDDVD disk is soft and will scratch even with careful cleaning. I have cleaned some and when holding them up to a light at the right angle I could see thousands of mini surface scratches. The BR disk was still perfect after giving it a couple wipes with my t-shirt. That would have be harmful to a HDDVD disk.

So far so good, it plays great, picture is great, disk are more protected. Looks like the media to collect. But wait, one little problem. Although the picture was great, it was not fantastic. The two movies I viewed did not come close to the delicate detail of the HDDVD Phantom of the Opera. Your correct, I only saw two movies and not the best that BR can put out. So I am waiting to view more movies to find one that does come up to HDDVD POTO standards.

One thing for sure, it feels very good to have both formats and be able to view all HD movies.

No flames, I am not a fanboy of BR or HDDVD, just a guy that wants to watch all hd movies.
Teisco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Smthkd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ATL, Georgia
Posts: 361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Congrats! I hope you enjoy both formats! Suggestion: If you have dsl, hook up your PS3 and download some of the 1080p movie trailers. This will give you a quick look at other movies available! I really like the movie trailer "Blood Diamond"!

1080p and PS3 is a Match made in HD Heaven!
Smthkd is offline  
post #3 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
azmodien's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post


One more thing that really impressed me was the disk coating. The coating on the HDDVD disk is soft and will scratch even with careful cleaning. I have cleaned some and when holding them up to a light at the right angle I could see thousands of mini surface scratches. The BR disk was still perfect after giving it a couple wipes with my t-shirt. That would have be harmful to a HDDVD disk.

Finally. Someone who has noticed the crappy coating on the HD discs. It is the only type of surface I have ever scratched using a microfibre cloth.
azmodien is offline  
post #4 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
efjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Since this is a review of a BD player, i suggest this is moved to the BR player forum.
efjay is offline  
post #5 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HPforMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Since this is a review of a BD player, i suggest this is moved to the BR player forum.

Yep.
HPforMe is offline  
post #6 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Senior Member
 
ashokn225's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great write-up Tiesco. I find it so disturbing though that you have to end that with something of a disclaimer to avoid a flame war. Forums these days have gotten so aggressive, its impossible to state your own opinion. Anyways, good to hear you had a good experience with the PS3.
ashokn225 is offline  
post #7 of 34 Old 01-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
krinkle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
grats on the PS3!! Try Black Hawk Down, Ice Age 2, Kingdom of Heaven, and the Wild for PQ
krinkle is offline  
post #8 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
UxiSXRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yup. Don't forget Tears of the Sun or Monster House, either.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

UxiSXRD is offline  
post #9 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Teisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Since this is a review of a BD player, i suggest this is moved to the BR player forum.

This is not a review, it is an opinion. It is my opinion of the PS3 hd player from a happy owner of an HDDVD player.

My first post was not a troll or plant or any other attempt at incitement. I also stated that the PQ of the PS3 BR was not as good as HDDVD from what I have seen so far. That may change as I watch more BR movies.

My score so far as user of both formats:
Ease of use - BR (compared to A1, not sure about other units)
Disk protection - BR
Picture Quality - HDDVD (so far, only viewed a few BR titles)
Titles I want to see - Both formats (so far)
My pick of a winner - Us, the consumer (competition equals better products and lower prices. Notice how the low priced HDDVD player forced BR to now bring out lower or matching priced units).

The other meaning of my post was to show enthusiasm for this new media no matter what the vehicle, BR or HDDVD.

It is interesting to be in on the development and testing (yes we are the beta testers again) of this last physical media. In 10 or less years we will be downloading all media and the BR vs HDDVD war will be an anecdote as is Beta vs VHS.

Peace and good viewing gents.
Teisco is offline  
post #10 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HPforMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is all the more reason for AVS to have a format neutral section of this board. With the advent of dual format players there should be a dedicated section for dual format. And to the OP. Keep in mind that if you posted I 'have a PS3 and just bought an XA2' over on the blu ray section your reception would probably be a lot rockier than you received here. I think you need to be sensitive to the FUD playing which has occurred on both sides and that posting in the fashion you did is not necessarily going to a peaceful ride.
HPforMe is offline  
post #11 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pretty good post for those here that want to own players of both formats and currently only own an HD-DVD player.

I posted a few posts in threads about how happy I am with my lowly Samsung BD player.

I also agree on the PQ thing, you can find BD titles that may look equal, but overall still nearly every title on HD-DVD looks as good or better than OTA broacast NFL-HD, and so far I would rank every BD title I have owned a notch below OTA Broadcast NFL-HD...
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #12 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Savageone79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Carbondale IL
Posts: 2,454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think if you compare the A1 to the PS3 your right the PS3 would win in a lot of regards but if you got the xbox hd ad on the a2 i think you would find they are both more comparable to the ps3 as far as features and ease of use.
Savageone79 is offline  
post #13 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
UxiSXRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not on the audio side. The 360 performs very favorably to the A1/XA1 on load times, remote responsiveness and is identical on the video side IIRC (I can't recall at the moment if it passes WTW or BTB, for example), but the A1/XA1 run away on the audio side, particularly for the lossless codecs (Dolby TrueHD, etc). The analog outputs and HDMI output from the A1/XA1 would trump the optical outut from the 360 even if the 360 wasn't gimping all of it's audio output to 640k DD 5.1, as it's currently doing (though a firmware fix is apparently iminent for).

The A2, of course, only has the HDMI port for these, so it is far more comprable, but in that regards it's optical port is stll unhindered in comparison to the 360. The PS3 currently shares this advantage over the 360 on an AQ standpoint, as well, delivering 6.1 DTS at 1.5Mbps

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

UxiSXRD is offline  
post #14 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jwv651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

It is my opinion of the PS3 hd player from a happy owner of an HDDVD player

I also own the A2 and PS3..and they were great together...until my PS3 died with my descent BD disk still inside the player. Hope you have better luck...At least you can now you can say "What Format War"

I still prefer to buy most of my Disk for HD DVD...but the wife needs her Disney fix.

Joe V.
jwv651 is offline  
post #15 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member
 
HPforMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,813
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the new price point of 1080p/24 stand alone players on both sides (see Tosh and Samsung news plus LG dual format 1080p/24 player) I see no reason to purchase an overheating game machine from Sony and use it as a movie player.
HPforMe is offline  
post #16 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
1MaNArmY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ogden, UT
Posts: 660
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


With the new price point of 1080p/24 stand alone players on both sides (see Tosh and Samsung news plus LG dual format 1080p/24 player) I see no reason to purchase an overheating game machine from Sony and use it as a movie player.

well some of us might want to dabble in the game play of the PS3 once they have some games worthy of a purchase as I might say the same for Blue Ray movies.

I plan on having dual format via my TOS HD-A1 (349.99) and a PS3 (600) for under a 1000.
I won't buy a PS3 until I find one at costco just in case it ends up being a lemon. We all know there is no trouble finding a PS3 if you really want one as I have seen well over 20 within the last 2 weeks.

Samsung 60 F7500

Denon 3808CI

Sony BDP-S790 3D/Bluray

Harmony 900
 

1MaNArmY is offline  
post #17 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I did the same thing a week ago with an XA1 and now the PS3.

HD DVD looks better accross the board. Better transfers, cleaner more 3d picture. The only problem i have with the Ps3 is the black and white crush. I do hope sony fixes this with a firmware update. Given that both BD and the ps3 are looking to be in trouble, they ought to do what they can to make customers happy.

I saw trouble b/c with Dual format players, BD players will look overpriced in comparison to a dual format machine. The PS3 has issues with a poor slate of games, and releases coming slowly. If BD has trouble, it could hurt Sony as they can't sell the PS3 for much less and if they can't get them into enough homes, game sales will never be good enough for game studios to do alot with it.
curlyjive is offline  
post #18 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Supermans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

I did the same thing a week ago with an XA1 and now the PS3.

HD DVD looks better accross the board. Better transfers, cleaner more 3d picture. The only problem i have with the Ps3 is the black and white crush. I do hope sony fixes this with a firmware update. Given that both BD and the ps3 are looking to be in trouble, they ought to do what they can to make customers happy.

I saw trouble b/c with Dual format players, BD players will look overpriced in comparison to a dual format machine. The PS3 has issues with a poor slate of games, and releases coming slowly. If BD has trouble, it could hurt Sony as they can't sell the PS3 for much less and if they can't get them into enough homes, game sales will never be good enough for game studios to do alot with it.

The PS3 is selling as good as it was expected due to the limited supply. In fact, it is now almost considered to be out of the "shortage" since it is becoming easier to find a PS3 while demand hasn't decreased all that much either. The PS3 will sell mainly as a gaming machine and the big surprise of the year is how "excellent" the PS3 is for Blu-Ray playback. It is not "bad" or "mediocre" like the PS2's DVD implentation and we have years of DVD technology improvements and refinements to thank for that. HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray will go on for a few more years before we start to see a clear winner. I for one hope Blu-Ray wins and it replaces DVD's in quantity in the stores. I'm afraid that might take three to four years for that to happen, so for the moment I just hope they increase the number of Blu-Ray discs made. It is very hard to find the good titles at the major retailers like BEst Buy since they order so few copies. I want about 6 titles that are very hard to find and will pick them up as soon as I see them there. I'm quite sure there are numerous more people who are in the same boat as I am regarding not finding the titles they are looking for. THose figures of quantity of discs that are waiting to be purchased cannot be measured (since most people don't pre-order or buy online) and as soon as supply increases for BD movies, all of us waiting for specific movie titles and are looking for them in stores will be able to buy those films and add to the BD sales figures...SO far the PS3 has been very very good and hasn't messed up once while playing any movie. Furthermore it is compatible with all current BD discs while the Samsung still has issues with some newer releases..
Supermans is offline  
post #19 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
efjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Germantown, MD
Posts: 1,553
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

This is not a review, it is an opinion. It is my opinion of the PS3 hd player from a happy owner of an HDDVD player.

It is an opinion on a BR player in the HD DVD Players forum. I dont see how the two are related unless you are doing a direct A-B comparison of movies released on both formats. My opinion, it doesnt belong here.
efjay is offline  
post #20 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
curlyjive's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Abington, PA
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post

The PS3 is selling as good as it was expected due to the limited supply. In fact, it is now almost considered to be out of the "shortage" since it is becoming easier to find a PS3 while demand hasn't decreased all that much either. The PS3 will sell mainly as a gaming machine and the big surprise of the year is how "excellent" the PS3 is for Blu-Ray playback. It is not "bad" or "mediocre" like the PS2's DVD implentation and we have years of DVD technology improvements and refinements to thank for that. HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray will go on for a few more years before we start to see a clear winner. I for one hope Blu-Ray wins and it replaces DVD's in quantity in the stores. I'm afraid that might take three to four years for that to happen, so for the moment I just hope they increase the number of Blu-Ray discs made. It is very hard to find the good titles at the major retailers like BEst Buy since they order so few copies. I want about 6 titles that are very hard to find and will pick them up as soon as I see them there. I'm quite sure there are numerous more people who are in the same boat as I am regarding not finding the titles they are looking for. THose figures of quantity of discs that are waiting to be purchased cannot be measured (since most people don't pre-order or buy online) and as soon as supply increases for BD movies, all of us waiting for specific movie titles and are looking for them in stores will be able to buy those films and add to the BD sales figures...SO far the PS3 has been very very good and hasn't messed up once while playing any movie. Furthermore it is compatible with all current BD discs while the Samsung still has issues with some newer releases..



I'm still not sure that the PS3 is going to do well as a game console unless they get some exclusives that take advantage of the PS3 SOON! If I was buying just a game console, the xbox would be the easy choice.

Anyway, if you are having a hard time finding titles....try ordering from Amazon. You could probably get free shipping if you just ordered the 6 titles you are looking for.

I for one hope both formats survive long enough for the winner (if there is one) to TRULY be the best in terms of PQ and AQ. I still feel HD DVD is better in those regards. The PS3 also has some deficiencies...like no BTB or WTW....but it does support more BD features, is more upgradeable, and is WAY faster than standalone BD players.

Given that the new LG dual format player is a bit light on the HD DVD side, I am glad I have a dedicated player for each. But given the choice, I will buy HD DVD until BD catches up in quality.
curlyjive is offline  
post #21 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xboxboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hmm no photo? the other guy posted his picture with the bd titles and two PS3 console, he is even in blue shirt and blue jeans kidding

anyhow, enjoy your PS3 and your BD titles .. we wont crucify you for getting a PS3. So no worries
xboxboi is offline  
post #22 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JET99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in BJ's a new england regional warehouse club and they a 46" Sony LCD 1080p and they were running quite an extraordinary demo - showing scenes from what appeared to be Italy with these 3 models walking down the steps of some older building near the ocean

Now they didn't explain what the source was for this - but I would assume they had a Sony Blu Ray player hidden somewhere - as this demo was only being run on 2 Sony TV's

Maybe Blu-ray (at least at the demo level) has now finally reached HD-DVD benchmark standard

Of course I would love to see regular Blu Rays demonstrated to compare
JET99 is offline  
post #23 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 09:53 PM
Member
 
compscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this post was about a HD-DVD purchase in the BLURAY fourum what would it accomplish?
compscott is offline  
post #24 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
xboxboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
cool down boys !! think about the great news that we heard today alone.. dont get upset over a thread..
xboxboi is offline  
post #25 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Teisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I just wanted to tell the HDDVD guys what I thought of the PS3 after owning an A1 from the beggining.

It is supprising the number of closed minds and zombie like loyalty some guys from both camps have.

I will ask the mods to close this thread now to protect the delicate fanboys from anything that sounds or reads blue. Or should I say b___e.

Mods, close her up please.
Teisco is offline  
post #26 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Sean_O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Carlsbad, CA.
Posts: 1,539
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


Wow, I just wanted to tell the HDDVD guys what I thought of the PS3 after owning an A1 from the beggining.

It is supprising the number of closed minds and zombie like loyalty some guys from both camps have.

I will ask the mods to close this thread now to protect the delicate fanboys from anything that sounds or reads blue. Or should I say b___e.

Mods, close her up please.

One last bump, eh?

P.S.

It's "Blu"
Sean_O is offline  
post #27 of 34 Old 01-07-2007, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ChrisPC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET99 View Post

I was in BJ's a new england regional warehouse club and they a 46" Sony LCD 1080p and they were running quite an extraordinary demo - showing scenes from what appeared to be Italy with these 3 models walking down the steps of some older building near the ocean

Now they didn't explain what the source was for this - but I would assume they had a Sony Blu Ray player hidden somewhere - as this demo was only being run on 2 Sony TV's

It's not Blu-ray. The local CompUSA has the same demo running, and it looks way better than their Blu-ray demo. I looked for a player, and soon found a hard drive video server connected to the Sony TVs.

Teisco, I also gave in and got a 20GB PS3. I even took it back and got the 60GB version. I'm still a hardcore HD DVD fan, but it's nice to have both.
ChrisPC is offline  
post #28 of 34 Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Teisco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ChrisPC is the 60gb that much better? I know it has more hd and wireless but anything else that would be worth the extra bucks? I have that option for another 20 days or so and might do the same thing.

I am not trying to sell PS3's, thats not my job. I just think for the money it is a good way to be format free. Of course, as mentioned, there are some other great gear coming out that would also be worth a look. I think the PS3 is the best deal now as it plays better than any other BR player and it also plays games and hooks up the internet. You can even use a keyboard and mouse with it.

I am still trying to find out if it will accept any usb steering wheel.

For the fanboys of HDDVD I will say this again, I still think my A1 puts out a more detailed, 3d like picture than the PS3 but I have not tried the best movies as yet. I have them on my rental list from BB and Netfix and will give them a try when the get here. I want to run the same movie on both machines to see for myself if there is any difference.

This is a great time guys and if you chain yourself to a single format you are missing some of the fun.
Teisco is offline  
post #29 of 34 Old 01-08-2007, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got the 60GB and I figure it's only another $100 for extra 40GB, built-in wireless and memory card readers. I don't use the wireless or memory card, but have already downloaded ~30GB of demos and trailers, so I figured it was worth it in terms of saving me the hassle of buying another 2.5" drive and installing it.

My biggest gripe with the format is the lack of anyway to get uncompressed PCM surround out with through optical. I like to see Sony incorporate something like a DTS recoding similar to the Toshiba.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
xradman is offline  
post #30 of 34 Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Charles R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 9,797
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I picked up a PS3 last weekend and so far I'm very impressed. I first had several XA1s and HDV5000s. The image was beautiful but since every one of them skipped at one point or another I ended up returning them and finally swapped for an A2. The A2 was much better with never a skip during the few movies I viewed.

Of course before my 30-days were up with the A2 the XA2 shipped to great reviews and I thought about upgrading but at more than double the cost it felt like a commitment. Then I looked at the new titles announced (or lack of) and decided there wasn't anything I wanted to watch regardless of how great a player the XA2 is. Using Blockbuster I had already ran through every movie I had any interest in (very quickly).

Then comes the A20, which further confuses the topic but does nothing to add any content so I decided to punt. I swapped the A2 for a PS3. I only purchased two HD DVD movies so off the eBay they went and I purchased Corpse Bride for Blu-ray.

I got the remote for the PS3 but after playing with the controller I might just return it, as the controller is very easy to use and as a DVD player the PS3 is simply fast. With your disc inserted turn in on and it plays that easy. I have always loved the HD DVD image and I was a little scared at what the PS3 might look like but after spending 30 minutes or so comparing Corpse Bride I know I couldn't pick one or the other doing a A/B test. Is one better than the other perhaps but certainly not enough for me to be able to spot it on a 110 screen from memory.

Now I have a few movies of interest to catch up on with Blu-ray titles and heck even a few free games in 1080i/p like Gran Turismo HD Concept if I get bored. Much like the game I'll keep spinning until the content decides who wins.
Charles R is offline  
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off