Onkyo & Meridian joins HDDVD group - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to ***************.com's coverage of the HD-DVD's press conference Onkyo and Meridian will be releasing HDDVD players in 2007. Great news for HDDVD to finally have some other CE backing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Very nice to see that. It would be better is there were actual players to view. Anyway, my guess is that once you get a couple of CE's on board, then others are less timid to join. And I really like the idea of a high end manufacturer like Meridian joining the fold. It's a good marketing pitch, and HD DVD definitely needs marketing muscle anyway they can get it.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The fact that Meridian is backing HD-DVD really tells you something. I remember reading Meridian's logic for going with DVD-Audio instead of SACD. They really put their research into product development. Having had the the privilege of hearing the uber expensive Meridian 800 series player with some of the AIX DVD-Audio discs (granted on some of my favorite speakers - the Sonus Faber Stradivarius), I can certainly vouch that Meridian picked the better audio format. While SACD can sound REALLY good, I have never heard anything better than the Meridian playback of DVD-Audio. Oh, and that unit was one heck of a video player as well.

Shame that the price will most likely stratospheric as well, but maybe the Onkyo units will be pretty good.
post #4 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

here is a link covering Onkyo's player:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/08...layer-in-2007/
post #5 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Official press release now on the Onkyo website here

Looking forward to this one!
post #6 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

The fact that Meridian is backing HD-DVD really tells you something. I remember reading Meridian's logic for going with DVD-Audio instead of SACD. They really put their research into product development. Having had the the privilege of hearing the uber expensive Meridian 800 series player with some of the AIX DVD-Audio discs (granted on some of my favorite speakers - the Sonus Faber Stradivarius), I can certainly vouch that Meridian picked the better audio format. While SACD can sound REALLY good, I have never heard anything better than the Meridian playback of DVD-Audio. Oh, and that unit was one heck of a video player as well.

Shame that the price will most likely stratospheric as well, but maybe the Onkyo units will be pretty good.

I think Meridian backed DVD-A because they developed MLP for audio. Meridian didn't pick the format... they made it.

- Steve O.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The same type of logic applies for HD DVD. TrueHD is mandatory on HD DVD and not on Blu-ray and hence HD DVD is more inclined to support this Meridian technology. Therefore it was more likely Meridian would preferentially support HD DVD.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Scorch you are right that is what the "M" in "MLP" stands for.... Meridian.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #9 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Now that does sound right - Meridian "the look and sound of perfect".
post #10 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The only negative about Onkyo and Meridian is they are two manufacturers that do not have very good distribution compared to some of the other CE manufacturers, but I'm happy to see them come aboard none-the-less.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #11 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

I'm excited about both. The reports on the XA2 are tempting for me to upgrade my main player but i will wait to see what the Onkyo has to offer - The Meridian is probably going to be beyond my budget.
post #12 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

I wonder if two players that had nothing to do with the format of HD DVD can beat the player of the only major player who did. It's not like BDA where there was a group that worked to build the format. Toshiba really is HD DVD. If they can't make perfect players, I doubt Onkyo can.

Meridian will be out of my priceclass.
post #13 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisko197 View Post

I wonder if two players that had nothing to do with the format of HD DVD can beat the player of the only major player who did. It's not like BDA where there was a group that worked to build the format. Toshiba really is HD DVD. If they can't make perfect players, I doubt Onkyo can.

Well at least Toshiba's players are priced well. It seems the BDA group don't make perfect players either for twice the price.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WirelessGuru View Post

The only negative about Onkyo and Meridian is they are two manufacturers that do not have very good distribution compared to some of the other CE manufacturers, but I'm happy to see them come aboard none-the-less.

Why would you say that Onkyo does not have good distribution? Circuit City has been a long time retailer of Onkyo. Lots of J6P's get their AVR's and DVD players from CC. In fact, my first DVD player was an Onkyo 6-changer. I used it heavily for 6 years for both DVD and CD playback. It was built like a tank and was very user friendly. It even had a realtime bitrate meter.

I think the Onkyo news is the best news to come out of CES for HD-DVD so far. Introducing competition between manufacturers of HD-DVD players is also the best way to work out the bugs in the Toshiba players that some people have been experiencing.
post #15 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Does anyone think Denon now must get off the fence

cheers laurie
post #16 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie View Post

Does anyone think Denon now must get off the fence

cheers laurie

As a consumer, my faith in Onkyo puts me in a situation where I couldn't care less about Denon entering the market.

Denon's too busy selling a wide array of overpriced SD DVD players that go well with their optional $500 "Denon-Link" cable.

I am curious as to why the Onkyo player isn't specified to decode DTS-HD MA out-of-the-box.
post #17 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has Denon announced anything at CES at all, yet? I'm really hoping for an HDMI 1.3 switching receiver, preferably that can do DTS-HDMA.

Meridian is way beyond what I'm willing to pay, but Denon would be on the upper end. They're really the only one I would trust to a combo player, as well.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #18 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

As a consumer, my faith in Onkyo puts me in a situation where I couldn't care less about Denon entering the market.

Denon's too busy selling a wide array of overpriced SD DVD players that go well with their optional $500 "Denon-Link" cable.

I am curious as to why the Onkyo player isn't specified to decode DTS-HD MA out-of-the-box.

Yeah...never understood the fascination with Denon. Trying to sell an SD-DVD player at their price points is ludicrous.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-08-2007, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

It's really good to hear Onkyo and Meridian on board the HD-DVD camp. I'm really looking forward to the Meridian HD-DVD player and what type of performance enhancement features it brings to the table.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Denon reminds me of Bose.

Last Watched 3D: Oz the Great and Powerful

It should be called Violet-Ray

post #21 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Denon should not be in the same sentence as Bose. Bose is absolute junk while Denon makes some really nice quality stuff, at least in my opinion.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 01:04 AM

Guys
The point I'm making about Denon IF they decide to make a move their expertise with HQV should produce a super player be it HD or BR

cheers laurie
post #23 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

Has Denon announced anything at CES at all, yet? I'm really hoping for an HDMI 1.3 switching receiver, preferably that can do DTS-HDMA.

Meridian is way beyond what I'm willing to pay, but Denon would be on the upper end. They're really the only one I would trust to a combo player, as well.

Denon has announced a series of HDMI 1.3-capable AVRs - have not seen any specs yet.

I am a little surprised Meridian would get into HD this early - particularly with a single format player. Would have though they'd go dual format - seems to me the demand for a hi-end HDDVD player would be very limited given the uncertainty around the formats.

Certainty and conviction are a sure sign you don't know what you're talking about! The world is not black and white, rather shades of grey!
post #24 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I cannot wait for the Onkyo HD DVD player. Denon as well for that matter if it ever happens.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch123 View Post

I think Meridian backed DVD-A because they developed MLP for audio. Meridian didn't pick the format... they made it.

- Steve O.

Regardless, DVD-A on one of Meridian's players still is the best damn sound I've ever heard. I've heard some good SACD demos, but I've never heard anything that touches this. personally, I think it sounded better than anything I've ever heard on vinyl (gasp!). Darn near the same sweetness that analogue gives you without the layer of grunge and small background noices (hisses, ticks, pops) that you hear on all but perfect pieces of vinyl (and I don't think I've ever heard one of those).
post #26 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

Let me guess a Yamaha fan?

I owned several Denon pieces both DVD players and receivers, they were top notch, and unlike many more mass market oriented brands have a responsive technical team to fix things. Sure they make mistakes but usually they own up to that. They also use top quality parts, so yes they product won't be sold in Wal-Mart, that's not their target market segment.

The Hun
post #27 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post

Regardless, DVD-A on one of Meridian's players still is the best damn sound I've ever heard. I've heard some good SACD demos, but I've never heard anything that touches this. personally, I think it sounded better than anything I've ever heard on vinyl (gasp!). Darn near the same sweetness that analogue gives you without the layer of grunge and small background noices (hisses, ticks, pops) that you hear on all but perfect pieces of vinyl (and I don't think I've ever heard one of those).

Yeah for the money and the fact that they authored MLP it had better.

The Hun
post #28 of 28 Old 01-09-2007, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
That is great news I can't wait to see what the specs are on the players as well as the price and pics!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page