post #91 of 123 Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkstr8t View Post

Sorry, this model only helps Blu-ray. By not supporting HD DVD interactivity, if this player is popular it forces HD DVD studios to reconsider whether to include such features knowing LG owners can't use them, and for titles available in both formats the consumer will buy Blu since it'll have interactivity. This player actually makes the perfect exit strategy for HD DVD owners who realize they've bought into a dying format. They can buy this player, fully enjoy Blu-ray titles (with full interactivity), and play their legacy HD DVD titles.

Yeah, because a player that was supposed to be a BD player initially and now can play HD-DVDs is a huge win for BD.

If anything, it just delays either one winning. Anything combo does (media or player). Keep spinning Talk.

Check out my iPhone apps!! -
Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 123 Old 01-21-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry, this model only helps Blu-ray. By not supporting HD DVD interactivity, if this player is popular it forces HD DVD studios to reconsider whether to include such features knowing LG owners can't use them, and for titles available in both formats the consumer will buy Blu since it'll have interactivity. This player actually makes the perfect exit strategy for HD DVD owners who realize they've bought into a dying format. They can buy this player, fully enjoy Blu-ray titles (with full interactivity), and play their legacy HD DVD titles.

Blu-ray Insider...I say prove it! How? Which way?

Joe V.
post #93 of 123 Old 01-21-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Blu-ray Insider...I say prove it! How? Which way?

While this player does allow both formats to be played, when a movie is in both formats which version do you think will be bought if one version has a crippled menu system?

IMO if that menu system is intact and the movie is (again) on both formats the HD-DVD version will generally be purchased. I base this upon the many reviews of same title releases. To my knowledge, no Blu-Ray version has ever topped an HD-DVD version in PQ. Sometimes they are equal but if one is on top, it is (as far as I have read) unequivically HD-DVD. If you want to prove me wrong, fine...I have both players.

But, back to the question at hand as to whether this is a win for Blu-Ray: based upon my opinion above, I believe very few will pick up an HD-DVD for this player unless it is an exclusive release. THAT is a win for Blu-Ray.

EDIT: It has arrived on BB's & CC's website according to another thread
post #94 of 123 Old 01-21-2007, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

DVB418 upscales very nicely for its price.

I have an LG upconvering player using component and it will match anything I have seen including my HD A1. I passes almost all the torure tests and the A1 doesn't. Someone needs to do their homework. BTW, it also plays PAL discs with a very simple firmware update

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #95 of 123 Old 01-21-2007, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denass View Post

I think its amazing how fast this has come to market.

Not really. LG showed separate BD and HD DVD players a year ago. They could have had the software done long ago, they may just have been waiting for a combo drive.
Quote:

I wonder what the bda actually thinks about this player behind closed doors.

Exactly what I posted three back:
This model only helps Blu-ray. By not supporting HD DVD interactivity, if this player is popular it forces HD DVD studios to reconsider whether to include such features knowing LG owners can't use them, and for titles available in both formats the consumer will buy Blu since it'll have interactivity. This player actually makes the perfect exit strategy for HD DVD owners who realize they've bought into a dying format. They can buy this player, fully enjoy Blu-ray titles (with full interactivity), and play their legacy HD DVD titles.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #96 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 01:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Talkstr8t

Interesting post.

I think it may just be some insight as to Sony's strategy to take the advantage.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #97 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
talk-- most people just watch the movies---for those this is perfect.This player is just another option thats all---and any smart person would know that this isnt going to win a format war for either side.It amazes me how much you try to spin stuff around here.What you say and what the bda say behind closed doors could be completely different.My feelings are every new bluray player that comes to the market will be cutting into the market of the other manufacturers.This cannot be making them happy when the standalones arent selling anywhere near hddvd.
The figures speak for themselves on that.

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken
post #98 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Talk, its interesting that you posted a response to a question about what the "bda actually thinks about this player behind closed doors" yet in your signature it says that you do not speak for them.

I think its safe that say that any Bluray player that has the ability to play HD-DVDs just prolongs the life of HD-DVD software/media (and vice versa).

Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #99 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

This player actually makes the perfect exit strategy for HD DVD owners who realize they've bought into a dying format. They can buy this player, fully enjoy Blu-ray titles (with full interactivity), and play their legacy HD DVD titles.[/i][/indent]

Good Grief -- The omnipotent forgone conclusion! Fanboyism at its finest!
post #100 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:

This model only helps Blu-ray. By not supporting HD DVD interactivity, if this player is popular it forces HD DVD studios to reconsider whether to include such features knowing LG owners can't use them, and for titles available in both formats the consumer will buy Blu since it'll have interactivity. This player actually makes the perfect exit strategy for HD DVD owners who realize they've bought into a dying format. They can buy this player, fully enjoy Blu-ray titles (with full interactivity), and play their legacy HD DVD titles.[/i][/indent]

At $1200, how is this player ever going to be popular?

For less than $760 out of pocket, I was able to buy a brand new Sammy Blu Ray and a brand new Tosh A2. Both work great and are fully functional.

Why would I spend $400+ more for a combo player that is not fully functional?

You really think HD DVD studios would rethink HDi because a few LG combo players can't handle it?
post #101 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhart View Post

For less than $760 out of pocket, I was able to buy a brand new Sammy Blu Ray and a brand new Tosh A2. Both work great and are fully functional.

Why would I spend $400+ more for a combo player that is not fully functional?

You really think HD DVD studios would rethink HDi because a few LG combo players can't handle it?

It could easily be VERY popular among BR fans, as long as the overall performance is competitive with the other BR players. HD-DVD fans probably won't be all that interested.
post #102 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

the consumer will buy Blu since it'll have interactivity.

The operative words here being "it'll". Pretty funny since HD-DVD has interactivity now and Blu does not since they can not get Java to work.
post #103 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

It could easily be VERY popular among BR fans, as long as the overall performance is competitive with the other BR players. HD-DVD fans probably won't be all that interested.

The guy your quoting was just saying how you can buy two Full Functioning standalones for $400 less. Are you saying BR fans are just more apt to overpay for hardware ? Why would anyone buy this combo player for hundreds more than two WORKING standalones ?
post #104 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211 View Post

The guy your quoting was just saying how you can buy two Full Functioning standalones for $400 less. Are you saying BR fans are just more apt to overpay for hardware ? Why would anyone buy this combo player for hundreds more than two WORKING standalones ?

Many people would prefer a single box solution. If having all the HD-DVD bells and whistles isn't important and $200 consolidates both into one -- that could be worth the additional $200. Besides, the Samsung price is $800 for most people who go out to buy locally. $800 plus $500 is $1300 -- catch a local sale and perhaps $1150 (10% discount), but still two boxes.
post #105 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhart View Post

Agreed, it's not priced to sell beyond the early-adopter market. Nonetheless, if you read the posts around here when the LG combo was first announced (and before it was known that it wouldn't fully support HD DVD) there was much chatter about this player would ensure HD DVD survived. What changed? Few expected it to be under $1000, and many predicted $1200 or more.

Blu-ray Insider
Speaking solely for myself, not the BDA
post #106 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Agreed, it's not priced to sell beyond the early-adopter market. Nonetheless, if you read the posts around here when the LG combo was first announced (and before it was known that it wouldn't fully support HD DVD) there was much chatter about this player would ensure HD DVD survived. What changed? Few expected it to be under $1000, and many predicted $1200 or more.

Whose to say the 2G player (which could be in development as we speak) won't support all HD DVD interactive features and thus get the coveted HD DVD logo on the player? I think that everybody should admit this was a surprise. Moreso for the BD group I would think. I wonder if Samsung isn't far behind?

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #107 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

Whose to say the 2G player (which could be in development as we speak) won't support all HD DVD interactive features and thus get the coveted HD DVD logo on the player? I think that everybody should admit this was a surprise. Moreso for the BD group I would think. I wonder if Samsung isn't far behind?

Also, are we sure that HDi support cant be added via firmware?

Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #108 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post

I don't think firmware would do it. LG pushed this machine for CES display. I think it really took everyone by surprise. I also wouldn't be surprised if they release a 2G player later this year with full interactivity for HD DVD. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung did the same thing. I saw a very nice little Samsung laptop that was playing HD DVD movies at CES.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #109 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post

I read that LG said it was not firmware upgradable to HDi. Sorry -- no link.
post #110 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown1211 View Post

To be fair, the two standalone players must be able to do 1080i, 1080p, 1080p/24fps, TrueHD, DD+, LPCM etc. over HDMI and decocoded on the analog outputs, ability to switch between the two analogs on the standalones (no Y connectors, that's cheating). If you're HDMI input starved (I am) you'll need an HDMI switcher.

One thing that the LG can't do is HDi so you'll have to place your own value on that.

So, where does that leave us for what is selling right now. Hmmm...

HD = Tosh Xa2 @ $800.00

Lets go for a low end BR, say the Philip BD9000 @$600.00 (actually I would chose something better like the Sony standalone but then the price point for comparison becomes rediculous.)

Already at $1400. Toss in the audio switch and HDMI switch for $300 (being really generous here) you're at $1700.00

LG seems like a bargain to me.

I know I'm stretching it somewhat buts lets do apples to apples.

Many of you own HDMI capabable receivers (that's not me, stuck with analogs for now).
Many of us don't care about 24fps because our sets can't do it (that's me).
Many don't care about lossless sound at all (not me).
Many don't care about 1080P since our sets only accept 1080i (that's me).

So, if you're at the lower and of the HT setup, then two of the cheaper standalones can be had for less than the LG but you will not be getting the same benefits as the LG can provide. I like this unit because it gives my yet another way to integerate both HD DVD and Blu Ray into my existing system. Good legacy support and for new setups, it is definitely worth looking into.
post #111 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920x1080 View Post

Aside from Universal titles, what would be some other examples of HD-DVD exclusives?

So it's just Universal titles, I take it?

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra
post #112 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Just for peoples information, the LG only decodes a max of 6 channels of the audio codecs...
post #113 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm, I really don't agree with your logic. For folks entering the HD recorded media market, they can go with HD DVD for $400-500 or Blu-ray for $800-1200 (not including the 360's, PS3). So most will chose the HD DVD players as we have learned. But those folks choosing Blu-ray will consider this combo unit. Price wise, it's an affordable option.

Should dual format players become the norm, studios will gravitate towards the cheaper format that does the job and maximizes profit.
post #114 of 123 Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1920x1080 View Post

So it's just Universal titles, I take it?

Universal and Weinstein Co. titles are the main ones. Studio Canal overseas is releasing some good titles too (Le Pacte De Loups in March). I believe there are a couple very small studios too, but I could be wrong.

Also, some WB titles are hd-dvd only right now (Batman Begins, Terminator 3, Troy, V and some others) due to IME....supposedly, they will be on BD at some point, but who knows. It surely wont be before this player is released. So, people could watch them, but just not utilize the HDi.

Vurgood Apps
My HD Disc Collection
post #115 of 123 Old 01-23-2007, 12:30 PM

For those of us just getting into the BD/HD-DVD players, do we really need HDi? I never really use the menus when I watch DVDs and don't anticipate using them for BD or HD-DVD. I am interested in a universal player to check out both formats, while leaning more towards the Blue ray. I also plan on upgrading my Home theater receiver at some point to one with HDMI 1.3, as well as upgrading my rear projection TV to the same.
post #116 of 123 Old 01-23-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoSteve View Post

For those of us just getting into the BD/HD-DVD players, do we really need HDi? I never really use the menus when I watch DVDs and don't anticipate using them for BD or HD-DVD. I am interested in a universal player to check out both formats, while leaning more towards the Blue ray. I also plan on upgrading my Home theater receiver at some point to one with HDMI 1.3, as well as upgrading my rear projection TV to the same.

HDi gives you a nicer menu structure for your setup etc., but if all you're going to do is pop in the HD-DVD and press play -- you're probably LG's target customer.
post #117 of 123 Old 01-24-2007, 12:15 PM

Hello,

My question to BH100 are:
1. Is this a region free blu ray and hd dvd player? Will I be able to play movies from Europe?
2. Does this player support Divx files?
3. Does anyone actually have it right now?
4. Any good HDMI cable recommended to this unit?

Thanks!!!
post #118 of 123 Old 01-24-2007, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcegabbana View Post

Hello,

My question to BH100 are:
1. Is this a region free blu ray and hd dvd player? Will I be able to play movies from Europe?
2. Does this player support Divx files?
3. Does anyone actually have it right now?
4. Any good HDMI cable recommended to this unit?

Thanks!!!

2. No support for Divx.
3. Yes!

Owners thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789598

Quick Review: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790872
post #119 of 123 Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

I see that it outputs 1080p. Anyone care to comment on how the 1080p output looks? Is there even anyone who owns a 1080p display and an LG unit yet?

I received the unit today from Circuit City. I have a 1080p/24 capable projector and a 1080p/60 capable RPTV. The 1080p/24 projector is an AX100 so it can handle the 1080p signal but will basically downconvert to 720p. My 1080p/60 RPTV is a Sony KDS-50A2000.

The player plays Standard DVDs at a max of upconvert to 1080i.
The player cannot output 1080p/60 so it does not do 1080p on my Sony.
The player can ouput 1080p/24 so it displays fine on my AX100.

I compared a copy of House of Flying Dagger Blu-Ray 1080p/24 with regular DVD at both 480p and 1080i.

There is a clear improvement in picture quality from 480p to 1080i to 1080p/24. However, it is not dramatic. The most notable things are the smoothness of the Chinese characters in the opening scene and various little details you notice. Colors are also more vibrant on the Blu-ray version.

I will compare a number of movies in the coming days. I plan on comparing V for Vendetta on HD-DVD vs DVD, Mission Impossible 3, etc. I'll let folks know of my impression.
post #120 of 123 Old 01-25-2007, 03:04 AM

Thanks for info about the Divx. So how is it with the regions? Is it a REGION FREE PLAYER?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page