HD DVD's burned on SD DVD on Xbox 360 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a few months now I have been burning HD DVD's onto SD DVD's. Of course only holds about 25 minutes of HD DVD footage on a SD DVD. These play great on my Toshiba A1. Excellent close to HD DVD quality. Today I bought the XBox 360 with HD DVD add on. None of "fake" HD DVD's I made on SD DVD will play back on the XBox 360 HD DVD add on but King Kong HD DVD played fine. Has anyone else tried this yet? All my HD footage comes from Canon XHA1 cameras that we use in studio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Since the Fall Dashboard update the 360 can play Windows Media files in their native resolution. You probably burned a file from your Canon camera onto a DVD-R. This is not technically the same as an HD DVD.

Probably, the functionality the 360 provides to play hi-def WMV files only applies to the internal DVD, not the HD DVD add-on.

To my knowledge their is no way to author a proper HD DVD today, but correct me if I'm wrong.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post

Since the Fall Dashboard update the 360 can play Windows Media files in their native resolution. You probably burned a file from your Canon camera onto a DVD-R. This is not technically the same as an HD DVD.

Probably, the functionality the 360 provides to play hi-def WMV files only applies to the internal DVD, not the HD DVD add-on.

To my knowledge their is no way to author a proper HD DVD today, but correct me if I'm wrong.

If by proper you mean having HDi functionality, then you're right. But there is a whole thread devoted to the authoring of HD-DVD9's. All the G1 players can play them, and it sounds like the G2 players will be able to with the upcoming firmware update.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

There is HD Ulead Movie factory software that will aurthor them to a proper HD-DVD standard.
When i had my A1 it would play .ts files burned on a dvd, dont know if the 360 can do that.

Rumor has it HD-DVD encryption was cracked back in Dec.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 04:05 AM

The HD-DVD-Specs allow HD-DVD Content on Standard-DVDs if the size is low, so no HD-DVD is needed. Thx X360 don't support such discs which is a bug. If it has the HD-DVD-Logo it must support these kind of discs.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

There's no such bug.

The Xbox 360 add-on DOES play HD DVDs on standard DVD-+R blanks IF they are properly authored. I have about a dozen single- and dual-layer discs of HDTV shows recorded OTA. All work fine on my 360.

There's a sticky thread in the HD DVD software forum containing a guide with specific instructions. Follow them exactly and you'll have no problems.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 AM

Well okay, then it doesn't player SD-DVDs with HD-Content authored with DVD Studio Pro 4 (Mac).
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page