Getting tired of error code: 408bc504 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 296 Old 02-25-2008, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well that was good timing with your post joemama127. Yesterday I got this error code for the first time on my XA2 on one of the Star Trek TOS discs. The XA2 has FW 2.8, didn't lock up the player and occured about halfway through 2 seperated episodes, and I was able to get it to repaeat at the same points in each episode. So I found this thread, saw you post, cleaned the disc and both episodes played through fine.

Edit - I forgot to mention this was a brand new disc from the set, no dirt, no dust... pure as the driven snow.

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 296 Old 02-25-2008, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 260
I've only gotten the error in two circumstances...when loading The Departed and American Gangster. My player never locks, it just gives me the error. However, I've gotten the error on two of my XA2s, so i believe it's a disc problem. Usually ejecting and reloading the discs a few times gets them to eventually work, but it's a real PITA. I guess I should swap the discs out to see if new ones work any better, but since I can usually get them to work after a few tries, I'm not sure an exchange is worth the trouble.

FWIW, my players all have firmware 2.8.
post #273 of 296 Old 02-27-2008, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I think my Onkyo gave this message when I tried putting in Spartacus today. I've played the disc in my A2 before with no problems, and the disc is minty and purchased new. I reinserted the disc and it worked fine after that. Hmmm. I'll have to keep evaluating this one. I really love the performance of the player, though. Blows the A2 out of the water, especially on 480i/p special features!
post #274 of 296 Old 03-01-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
(Sigh)...and they wonder why they lost ??!!??

After reading the first 50 pages of the Xa2 owners thread , 10 pages of this thread , owning a skipping xa1 (and now a glitchy xe2) I am so glad Toshiba lost
post #275 of 296 Old 03-01-2008, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

. Blows the A2 out of the water, especially on 480i/p special features!

KABOOOMMM

Just enjoy HD in whatever form you can (Sat, Cable, D-VHS, OTA, HD DVD, or BD).
post #276 of 296 Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM

i just purchased the Xa2 and I was expecting it to have the latest firmware installed but it came with 2.2. I played the infamous 300 and sure enough our beloved error code popped up damn near the end of the movie. Just when I thought I was home free!

I called Toshiba to have the 2.7 firmware disc sent to me as I keep hearing horror stories about 2.8. He said 2.7 was unavailable and had no knowledge of 2.8 causing problems. So whats the skinny with 2.8?? Will it solve these error message freeze up problmes with discs like 300?
post #277 of 296 Old 03-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtlver View Post

i just purchased the Xa2 and I was expecting it to have the latest firmware installed but it came with 2.2. I played the infamous 300 and sure enough our beloved error code popped up damn near the end of the movie. Just when I thought I was home free!

I called Toshiba to have the 2.7 firmware disc sent to me as I keep hearing horror stories about 2.8. He said 2.7 was unavailable and had no knowledge of 2.8 causing problems. So whats the skinny with 2.8?? Will it solve these error message freeze up problmes with discs like 300?

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...-XA2-2700N.zip
post #278 of 296 Old 03-03-2008, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtlver View Post

2.8 has issues with 24FPS operation (with MGEP encoded movies). Other than that, it's been fine for me. (I don't use 24fps so it's a moot point)

Thanks,
Hansang
post #279 of 296 Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 PM

Had my first experience with this error code last night while watching Ocean's 13 on my A2. Never had any issues before. Updated to 2.8 fw this afternoon and re-initialized and tried the movie again.....same results. Locks up at the same time (when the helicopter is landing on the building towards the end of the movie). This is a brand new disc. No scratches, smudges or anything. Has anyone else had a problem with this movie? I did a search and came up with nothing. Any more suggestions? I will clear the memory tomorrow to see if it works, but I've noticed this doesn't do the trick for most.
post #280 of 296 Old 03-06-2008, 09:59 AM

I had the code problem only on combo disc. If I flip over the disc and played standard disc for a few seconds , then stopped it, put hd back in and it would play. I would not buy any combo disc. Then when the ver update 2.0 came out I updated the player and gave it any combo disc ( 9 total from my friend) they all played. This fixed my problem with the HD-D3 player. The player came with ver. 1.3
post #281 of 296 Old 03-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Actually, I first had this problem once on 300 (rental) about a month ago on my A2.
I had seen several rentals and purchased discs over the last 8 months and don't remember having a problem.
I just acquired the A30 and we were watching Batman Begins (clean purchased disc) and it froze during the batmobile chase scene. I stopped, jumped back to the scene and it froze again. Did it again, except I jumped past the scene and rewound a bit and the rest played fine.

Then the wife and I were watching Babel (rental) and after the first hour it froze on three different spots which was very irksome as the movie was very engorssing and having to stop and start kind of ruins it.

Anyway, I updated the firmware tried BB (just jumped to the chase scene) and it played through fine. Babel though still had the problem.

I hope this does not happen too many times again. I was just getting ready to order a dozen discs from Amazon and it would not be good if this become a frequent issue.

-- Sanjay

-- Sanjay
post #282 of 296 Old 03-09-2008, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hit my first incident a couple weeks ago with In the Valley of Elah. (Brand new copy. Combo disc.) Froze on my XA2 (FW 2.5), but played fine on my 360 and the A30 I got a few days ago.

Bought a bunch of the HWV blowout discs last week and Shrek 3, Eastern Promises, Next, Payback, Beowulf and Terminator 3 played fine. However, The Brave One stuttered and froze w/o an error code in two spots. (Another combo disc.)

Well, tonight I'm trying to watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (a used copy bought from a person; not a rental copy), the error came back. Flashed the XA2's PW up to 2.7 and loaded the disc again. As it cleared the spot it froze at, I thought I was fixed, but BAM! it froze and gave the error a few seconds later. Oddly, same as with Elah, it was about 61 minutes in on this combo disc when it froze? Coincidence?

For the money this XA2 cost - the FLAGSHIP, donchaknow - all these nonsense is pretty depressing. When my girlfriend is trying to watch something, she doesn't want to have to get all Nerd Herd on it when plain old DVDs didn't present this rigmarole.
post #283 of 296 Old 03-09-2008, 04:11 AM

Experienced this for the first time yesterday.
X-A2 with 2.7 firmware playing 300.
Got to 44 minutes then refused to play.
Toshiba customer services were pretty unhelpful just suggesting I upgrade the firmware.
Is there any point in getting a replacement or should I just get a refund and get the film on BD?

Thanks
Lance
post #284 of 296 Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Boy is this going to put the hose on the "fire sales" (I bought over 25 HV movies, and as many 10.49 BB and AMZ as I can find).

Got an "open (but BB inspected and resealed ) box" A30 last week, just hooked it up and popped in "Hot Fuzz"-brand new, never played. Got the code right off, was able to shut it down with holding down the power button.

Put in "Charlie and Choc Factory"-my first HD, seemed to play OK (and looked STUNNING playing 1080p/24 into my 40XBR2).

I have 2 A20's and NEVER had that code come up (did not even know what it was until seeing this thread today). Of course, I have not played many of the used discs yet, the few I did played fine in the A20's.

Was hesitant to do firmware on the A30 due to the 1080p/24 issue so will see if there are any more "problem" discs that choke it
post #285 of 296 Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I got an A3 about 2 months ago, I got this error code about 5 times within the first week. It was returned promptly.

My new A35 is running great! I've thrown all kids of movies with different features at it, and I just keeps on tickin. No lockups, no hicups, no sync issues no nothing!

I'm running my video out of the components with 1080i set. Using the 5.1 analog outs for the HD audio.

I did have to upgrade from FW 1.3 to 2.0 cause one of my concert HD-DVDs menu wouldn't let me select play or anything, after 2.0 it was all good.

Guess I got lucky?
post #286 of 296 Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM

I got this code for only the second time, watching a Netflix "Batman Begins" yesterday. Restarted and went to the next chapter. No other problems. You just never know. This is using an A-3, firmware 2.0, and cleaning the disk before playing. YMMV.

RFT!!!
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." -- John Adams

Dave Kelsen
post #287 of 296 Old 03-09-2008, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I got this code w/ Transformers last night on both my A2 and XA2. How do you guys "wash" the disc? Does that boiling water trick still work?

Onkyo 605 - Pioneer Pro-730HD - HD-XA2
XBL: Degenerazn
PSN: Degenerazn
Wii: 8392 0559 3275 9767
post #288 of 296 Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 AM

I wash with warm water and liquid dish soap. drying can be a bit tricky since polycarb scratches so easy. I've used a soft flannel-like material with good results, but I prefer to use compressed air.

Seems silly to wash a brand new disc but it worked when I had the problem.

Brian
post #289 of 296 Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I took my HD-A2 in for service at Best Buy. I had error code 408bc504 on a few discs all at random times and not repeatable, and a few lockups and skipping on rare occassion. Initially they specified a one month turnaround time (Feared they would not find anything wrong with unit since it is all random) but instead I got a call from them that I was approved for an exchange!

I must say their customer service and manager were all very professional and helpful. So if anyone out there thinks Best Buy service plans are a waste - think again.
post #290 of 296 Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Ah, the joys of the 408bc504 message . Toshiba A3 with Disc 1 of Planet Earth. Brand new, never opened disc before. It does have a couple minor scratches, so I don't know if it's the disc. At one point it went blocky and stuttered, then later on I got the 408bc504 message. I had no idea this was such a widespread issue until I looked it up after being irritated by it tonight. I have had other problems before, but I can't recall this particular error code. Hopefully this isn't a sign that more of my HD DVDs are going to have issues. At any rate, unfortunately, it looks as though that PS3 can't come soon enough. I'm addicted to high definition movies but I can't live with constant freezes. Maybe there's a reason Blu-ray is the winning format. It's pretty sad that Toshiba couldn't get their hardware right after three revisions - not to mention all the updates.
post #291 of 296 Old 04-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Had the errors, so I called Toshiba
Sent in my HDA2 they said they couldn't fix it, so the sent me a refurb
It was DOA
I returned it
They sent me another
It was DOA
I complained loudly and demanded that they test the unit to see if it worked before sending it
They sent me another
It was DOA
I called a supervisor and told him my story.
He sent me an HDA3, brand new with two free HD DVDs inside (two Bourne movies)
I watched Planet Earth (I got the errors on disk 1 with my old HDA2)
No errors at all!
Conclusion...call Toshiba and complain (yes, I know it's still an obsolete player)
post #292 of 296 Old 09-11-2008, 02:02 PM

I just encountered this erroe code recently with Music and Lyrics combo disc (brand new) on my A35. Should I be updating my firmware to 3.0?

Sunny Surrey, B.C. Canada
post #293 of 296 Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 AM

I'm not tired of this error code - I think I got it for the first time this week with the Polish Mr. & Mrs. Smith. I cleaned the brand new disc with a microfiber cloth after the error code because it had some dirt on it and after that it played just fine again.
post #294 of 296 Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Was this ever solved? I have had an Onkyo HD805 (XA2 clone) for over a year and have never seen this at all. The playback has been flawless.

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #295 of 296 Old 04-12-2009, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 29
408bc504 error code according to the XA2 Service manual is:
4 0 * * C 5 0 4 Contents Error
Cannot play the disc.
Error code : 0x00000000 Error Code
post #296 of 296 Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 PM

picked up an el cheapo XA2 balked repeatedly 408bc504 error code on Troy at 33:24 oddly enough if you fast forwarded past it when it started to freeze ii would resume playing. there is another freeze somewhere later too well at least one more...plays Serenity and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory just fine (later a WB disc just like Troy.) In my A2 the Troy disc played just fine. XA2 appears to be on firmware 4.0 - I have seen speculation as to poor mastering or pressing practices on WB discs perhaps but to me there is some issue within the XA2 which allows it to have this weird crankiness. glad to have not paid much for either player nor will I ever overpay for any discs I really feel sorry for early adopters who paid full freight to see the format abandoned before it was thorougly wrung out...
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page