Getting tired of error code: 408bc504 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 296 Old 06-01-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't know if this helps anybody else, but the ONLY time that I have experienced this error is immediately after updating to firmware 1.6 on my XA2. Multiple freezes. After I unplugged the unit and restarted, never noticed the problem again. I even did the initialize thing immediately after the firmware update. No problems since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 296 Old 06-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Yesterday, I played Matrix Revolutions (Complete Series) and I got this dreaded 408bc504 error for the first time.
Here is the interesting thing FRZ, it happened at exactly the same point & time you mentioned above "the scene where Trinity has all the steel poles stuck in her just before she dies". This has to make me think, that it is not a player issue but a disk issue.
However, when the code came up, I waited about a minute, did not press any buttons on the remote (ie. My Integra's programmable remote- I do not use the A2's remote) and proceeded to just press stop and than the eject button.
The disk ejected, I waited 10 seconds or so, than pressed the eject again to close the tray. The movie started from the beginning, I went to the chapter where the error ocurred, pressed play and it played, I waited as it came to that same scene and IT PLAYED THROUGH IT WITHOUT A PROBLEM, in fact the rest of the movie went problem free.
After the movie reached the end, I pressed the menu button to access the same chapter to see if I would get the error code again, and again NO PROBLEMS PLAYING THROUGH that scene.

ANY thoughts FRZ or anyone else...

Thanks

Paul

further confirmation that this particular disc at this particular spot has an issue. My XA2 gave me an error for the fist time in the month or two I've had it at this same scene on this same disc. I popped the disc out, cleaned he surface with a cloth and it ran through fine.
post #63 of 296 Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Got it again yesterday while playing the Good Shepard at the 1hr 20min mark. Before I played the hddvd, I did the soap/water trick. When I received the code I did the same trick again and it played fine all the way through.
post #64 of 296 Old 06-02-2007, 07:13 AM
FRZ

I rented The Fountain. Woke up this morning and made some coffee. Fired up the trusty HD-A2 and inserted The Fountain. It didn't play at all. I received a code. Although this code was 408bc204. Ejected the movie. Waited about 20 seconds. Re-inserted the movie and it's playing fine. Thank god it isn't a heat issue since the player was off all night and the ambient temp in here is currently 60 F. (Good call hidefpaul )

The movie played fine all the way through after re-insertion. Didn't do anything else.

These codes mean something. The encryption on the disc and how it interacts with the player/firmware. It's almost as if the player needs to read it one time to "learn" the encryption. In both instances (Matrix & Fountain) the disc plays fine after re-insertion

I'm still using firmware 1.5. I'll only upgrade to 1.6 if absolutely necessary.
post #65 of 296 Old 06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post

I rented The Fountain. Woke up this morning and made some coffee. Fired up the trusty HD-A2 and inserted The Fountain. It didn't play at all. I received a code. Although this code was 408bc204. Ejected the movie. Waited about 20 seconds. Re-inserted the movie and it's playing fine. Thank god it isn't a heat issue since the player was off all night and the ambient temp in here is currently 60 F. (Good call hidefpaul )

The movie played fine all the way through after re-insertion. Didn't do anything else.

These codes mean something. The encryption on the disc and how it interacts with the player/firmware. It's almost as if the player needs to read it one time to "learn" the encryption. In both instances (Matrix & Fountain) the disc plays fine after re-insertion

Come to think of it FRZ, I dont recall if I had the 408BC204 or the 408BC504.... will let you know if it happens again!

Paul
post #66 of 296 Old 06-04-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
received a strange error while watching a rented copy of letters from Iowa jima. it played fine then about an hour into the movie it started to jitter and froze- then I got the dreaded error message. but when I ejected the disc the frozen image was still on the screen! It wouldn't go away-so I had to power off the Tv and unplugged the player. I then washed the disc and tried to re-play but this time it would not even recognize the disc-wierd since i had already watched an hour of the movie. had to flip it and watch the SD side (uggh). Nice way to ruin a perfectly good movie night.
theman
post #67 of 296 Old 06-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmil7991 View Post

I think it's the disc because the other two discs play fine. I think it is a manufacturing problem with combo discs being more sensitive. I wonder if the combos that are having problems is 30gb on one side and 4 gb on the other. The few combos I have that don't give me problems say they are 15 gb on one side and 4 gb on the other. Also, I think you are right about the HDCP junk. I would be much happier if HDCP went away like region code did.

Copy protection is encryption and is data dependent. Coupled with that is bitrate, which also varies from movie to movie, and even from one part of a movie to another given data decompression variations (compression rates vary depending on the current image). In short, some discs stress the HDMI link more than others. Try component before you blame the disc. If this fixes it, no amount of disc swapping is going to help.
post #68 of 296 Old 06-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post

received a strange error while watching a rented copy of letters from Iowa jima. it played fine then about an hour into the movie it started to jitter and froze- then I got the dreaded error message. but when I ejected the disc the frozen image was still on the screen! It wouldn't go away-so I had to power off the Tv and unplugged the player. I then washed the disc and tried to re-play but this time it would not even recognize the disc-wierd since i had already watched an hour of the movie. had to flip it and watch the SD side (uggh). Nice way to ruin a perfectly good movie night.
theman

And your other HD DVDs still work?
post #69 of 296 Old 06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Hit that for the first and only time yesterday. I cleaned the disc and it didn't repeat.
post #70 of 296 Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 AM

watching king kong hd dvd from netflix .....player is 4 days old
almost at the end i got the 408bc504 error- just updated to 1.7t ( i think this is the latest) hopefull this is the last time this happens--

so ridiculous- its supposed to be the look and sound of perfect - not the bs of beta

AC
post #71 of 296 Old 06-16-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Got my first 408BC504 tonight. Disc was Music & Lyrics combo disc. Freezes at the 28:48 mark then stutters a frame or two then locks and goes to the "cannot play disc. error code 408BC504" Took out the disc and cleaned it but could not see anything on it. Didn't help. Unplugged and rebooted the player twice and it still freezes at the same spot. Gave up and watched the SD-DVD side. Played fine.

HD-XA2 bought in Jan. Firmware 1.6

Jim
post #72 of 296 Old 06-22-2007, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I didn't realize that this thread was here and started a small one about my first same error code.

The movie was 12 Monkeys and it happened during the opening Universal logo. Had to unplug player. Tried three times and rewashed disc but it won't play.

Immediately put another hd disc in and it played through with no problem. Reinserted 12 Monkeys and it locked up again before the movie began with the same error code.

Version 1.5 It's the only disc so far that won't play and gives the error code. I did not try it with my XA1.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #73 of 296 Old 06-22-2007, 11:58 PM

Got this error on my brand new disk in my A2/1.6. This was also reported by other users in the Swan Lake thread. Combine this with the long load time, I would not recommend HD DVD to any friends or families. I guess all lessons about proper testing and design is not important when its new technology. I blame myself for giving in so early and taking the plunge into HD. My/our money just reinforces manufacturers notion that this is acceptable.

MCE 2005 R2/Ubuntu Fiesty Mplayer AMD 3500+ 7800GT (silenced) ATI HDTV Wonder DVICO Fusion 5 Gold Sceptre X37/NEC 20WMGX2
post #74 of 296 Old 06-23-2007, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post

I had the same issue with a rented version of The Fountain as well. I do not remember the exact error code however and I was running v1.6. When I powered off and on the problem went away.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #75 of 296 Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 PM

Just got the A2 today. Everything went perfect (connection to HDMI, firmware upgrade to 2.5). Sat down to watch 300 and at the 55:42 mark, wham...got the error message. Reset the thing twice. Unplugged it twice. Cleaned the damn disk 3 times.....

Im thinking about giving HD DVD another year....
post #76 of 296 Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiBill View Post

Just got the A2 today. Everything went perfect (connection to HDMI, firmware upgrade to 2.5). Sat down to watch 300 and at the 55:42 mark, wham...got the error message. Reset the thing twice. Unplugged it twice. Cleaned the damn disk 3 times.....

Im thinking about giving HD DVD another year....

In setup om the player under maintenance re-initialize the player turn it off and back on and see if that helps. I believe Toshiba recommends doing this in the manual anytime you do an update. BTW my XA2 has never had a single glitch outputting 1080p and I have over 200 titles (but maybe the A2 is different).
post #77 of 296 Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 PM

Anybody have problems with A Clockwork Orange? Mine gives me the 408bc504 message as Alex is reading the Bible in prison. I have tried cleaning the disc and that didn't work. I don't know my firmware version but I never bothered to upgrade because I never had many problems.

For some reason I can't burn a disc and I can't connect to the internet with my machine (I'm connecting the cat5 cable directly from the modem to the player), so I'm going to send off the mail thingie to get my upgrade. I hope this fixes it.

BTW, it's an HD-A2 and I got it in July.
post #78 of 296 Old 11-03-2007, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiramAbiff View Post

Anybody have problems with A Clockwork Orange? Mine gives me the 408bc504 message as Alex is reading the Bible in prison. I have tried cleaning the disc and that didn't work. I don't know my firmware version but I never bothered to upgrade because I never had many problems.

For some reason I can't burn a disc and I can't connect to the internet with my machine (I'm connecting the cat5 cable directly from the modem to the player), so I'm going to send off the mail thingie to get my upgrade. I hope this fixes it.

BTW, it's an HD-A2 and I got it in July.

Try this to connect the player. In the player setup.
1: enable DNS
2: enable DHCP
3: Press the "confirm" on-screen. Then the "OK" button on-screen.
4: exit setup and turn the player off.

Now when you power the player back on I bet it will find the server and update the player.
post #79 of 296 Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

Now when you power the player back on I bet it will find the server and update the player.

I enabled DHCP, than I enabled DNS, like the instructions say. Then I go to hit "confirm," and "confirm" is greyed out.
post #80 of 296 Old 11-03-2007, 08:07 AM

Cleaning the machines persistent memory will solve many problems.
SETUP
General
Maintenance
Persistent Storage
"Would you like to start persistent storage?" YES
Select the "A" button on the remote to confirm.
You will see a list of providers.
Use the "D" button on the remote to delete them. Keep in mind this will also delete any bookmarks you have made during the movies you have played.
Exit using the "B" button.
Exit setup and retry you movie.

HD DVD: 101 Blu-ray: 39 DVD: 393
Samsung BD-UP5000 - TrueHD & DTS-HD MSTR : HD-D2 : PS3
post #81 of 296 Old 11-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

I got this error message with the included 300 disc with my A3 & the movie is unplayable after a minute into the movie. This is totally unacceptable & Toshiba better fix it fast!

I do have the latest firmware.

Blu Ray: 200
HD DVD: 35
post #82 of 296 Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

I got it last night with a Blockbuster rental of Knocked Up, but when I got the disc in the mail, it was filthy covered in dust and grit. I of coursed cleaned it off with soap and water but the disc have many imperfections on the surface, I really wasn't surprised it lasted almost an hour. I attributed it to the disc not the player, A30 btw.

PSN: VinnAY-DBC
post #83 of 296 Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM

I just picked up the brand new HD-A3 and it froze on my first disc from Netflix (Planet Earth). It won't even start the disc. So, I'm now downloading a firmware upgrade off Toshiba's website (4 days after it the player was released) and guess what? The download froze on me. Right at the 74% mark.
post #84 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 07:04 AM

I have a brand new A3 that I’ve ran into problems with. Last night while watching Transformers I got error code 408bc504 about chapter 11 of the movie. I opened and closed the drive and tried it again same error same place, power cycled the machine and again same error same place, took the disc out and gently wiped it clean and still every time it gets the same error code at the same exact spot. I put the same disc in my A2 and it plays flawlessly. I put in Batman begins which I’ve watched without error on my A2 and 360 HD-DVD Add On but I get the same error code 408bc504 before I even get to the menu on the A3. I have the latest firmware v1.1 for the A3. At first I thought it was a disc issue as it happened at the same spot every time, but when it played just fine on the A2 I have to go back to the player. Is there anything that I’m missing? I’m on the verge of returning the A3 because this is just unacceptable to have multiple discs, (knocked up also had issues) that play just fine on the A2, yet I cannot finish them on the A3. What would be better idea, swap out the disc or the player? Thanks
post #85 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I got this error during the best part of I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. Also most of the time DVE wouldn't work at all... brand new A2.
post #86 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

If he has a modem and not a router, and the connection is set for fixed IP, or some PPPoE thing, this will not work. With more than one ethernet device, one should always have a firewall-router.
post #87 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

I'm curious to see what in fact is happening when 408bc504 is displayed.. Not a very informative error message

(Luckily I haven't had one in awhile, ever since I swapped my _300_.. Even combos have been holding up pretty well!)
post #88 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_Krause View Post

What I noticed today when trying to play Charlie and the Chocolate factory in the same spot where I was having problems, is that I started to get breakup of audio/video. I skipped a head a bit and then the audio/video where out of synch.

Robert, can ou ask the engineer at Toshiba that you have contact about this? I have the A2 with the 1.3 firmware.

Stephen

An A2 with 1.3 firmware vs 2.5 is night and day difference in playability. These players need firmware upgrades done as soon as possible to insure customer satisfaction. Anything earlier than 1.6 is problematic and each release after that things just got better and better.

From what I saw A2 v1.3 will likely have many issues with disk reads. Sure some people are sittig around with 1.1 or 1.2 on an A1 and claim pefect playback. I wonder how much media they actually watch.. if you have a version earlier than the latest run don't walk to download the iso and burn and upgrade disk. Now you need a very good and current burner program. Many older burner apps and some fairly recent ones just don't get recognize the Toshiba iso files as legitimate isos.

Just another blank signature.
post #89 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM

I was surprised to find that somebody had revived this old thread because I had the exact same error code come up when I played the "Hot Fuzz" HD DVD combo disc. I posted about this problem in the HD DVD software forum.

The screen would freeze and I would get the 408bc504 error every time at about 58 minutes into the movie. I could skip that chapter and watch the rest of the movie, but it would stick every time at the same place regardless of how many times I restarted the DVD player.

I have an XA2 player with 2.5 firmware, so it's not an issue of using old firmware.

I have sent the "Hot Fuzz" HD DVD combo to a Microsoft group that is doing a study of "bad" combo discs, maybe they can find the problem.

That was the only HD DVD disc I have so far. I will be buying more with the DD 20% off sale, so I will see if it happens again with other movies.
post #90 of 296 Old 11-09-2007, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I get this same code on my A Clockwork Orange at 55:52 into it. Could this be a layer change problem? I have a XA2 and it's on 2.5 firmware. I've got the XA2 directly plugged into the Sony SXRD XBR1 TV with 1080i input. I've gone through two copies of A Clockwork Orange from Amazon and one copy brom Best Buy. All three have this same problem at 55:52. Also, I tried unplugging the player, clear persistent memory and still have the same problem.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page