Getting tired of error code: 408bc504 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 296 Old 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancestorm View Post

I had the same issue. With an A2 at v2.5, the movie played flawlessly. The A3 had the error. I updated to 1.3. I then got past the error, but the movie turned to a crawl of pixelated mix and finally just stopped. No error thrown, but nothing more to the screen. Don't know what is going on...

Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

This error code is a disc error. Look it up in the back of your user manual.

FWIW I have had an XA2 since May 2006, own 100+ HD-DVD's many of which are combos. No errors.

When you get this error it's usually the disc.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 2-23-2015**

Something from damninteresting.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 296 Old 11-25-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Answer:

I got this with disc 2 of the new Star Wars set. I'm sick and tired of washing discs, so I'm sending this back to Amazon. At that price, one shouldn't have to clean a brand new disc.

p.s. The plastic case arrived chipped, too!
post #183 of 296 Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 AM

How do you properly WASH a disc without damaging it???

post #184 of 296 Old 11-28-2007, 10:44 PM

I can confirm that this appears to be a disc error and the way to fix it is to simply replace the bad disc.

I sent in my "bad" copy of "Hot Fuzz" combo HD DVD disc to Microsoft for analysis per this thread at Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=262897

My old disc always froze about 58 minutes into the movie with the 408bc504 error code.

The replacement disc that they gave me plays perfectly.

So I recommend that if you get this error forget about washing the disc and just send it back for a replacement.

There are some bad batches of HD DVD discs out there.

I've heard of some people having to go through 2 or 3 replacements until they finally got a disc that plays perfectly.

I have not watched the whole movie yet, but my replacement copy of "Hot Fuzz" played with no problems on the section that was giving me trouble before, as well as random scenes that I watched on the disc.
post #185 of 296 Old 12-01-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just experienced another 408bc504 error on my A2. This is like the fifth or sixth time even after updating. It ticks me off when it happens during the middle of a movie since it ruins the experience. Came to this thread hoping to find a solution to this or at least a model that does not have this problem. By the way, this error was also found on two A2 players at different stores (Office Depot and Circuit City).

The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.

-Werner Heisenberg
post #186 of 296 Old 12-01-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

I just experienced another 408bc504 error on my A2. This is like the fifth or sixth time even after updating. It ticks me off when it happens during the middle of a movie since it ruins the experience. Came to this thread hoping to find a solution to this or at least a model that does not have this problem. By the way, this error was also found on two A2 players at different stores (Office Depot and Circuit City).

I believe the consensus of the people who have and have not had the issue is they believe it's the disc, not the player.

If this is true, then there is some serious issue with the amount of bad disc's that have cropped up(been reported) or there is a tolerance from player to player that allows not so perfect disc's to be played without error.
I've been fortunate enough to have zero errors or issues with my A20 with new or rented disc's.

I do find it disturbing that so many disc's are coming out of the disc presses out of tolerance or perhaps defective if this error is indeed a disc issue.

I wonder if all these "bad" disc's are coming from a specific pressing plant or if it's a global issue.
We all know that HD DVD disc production utilizes old existing SD DVD pressing plants and retrofits them for HD DVD.
Perhaps the old parts/hardware left from the SD DVD pressing is not up to spec (or drifts) and at times is out of tolerance and causes this disc production error.

post #187 of 296 Old 12-01-2007, 07:46 PM

I got it for the very first time tonight. Watching Terminator 3 on my A2 updated to 1.7 firmware. Crashed at around 1 hour 31 minutes. Disc had some scratches on it being a netflix disc. I cleaned it and it crashed again, but I was able to skip ahead and then backup to just after it happened and finish the movie.
post #188 of 296 Old 12-01-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I believe the consensus of the people who have and have not had the issue is they believe it's the disc, not the player.

If this is true, then there is some serious issue with the amount of bad disc's that have cropped up(been reported) or there is a tolerance from player to player that allows not so perfect disc's to be played without error.
I've been fortunate enough to have zero errors or issues with my A20 with new or rented disc's.

I do find it disturbing that so many disc's are coming out of the disc presses out of tolerance or perhaps defective if this error is indeed a disc issue.

I wonder if all these "bad" disc's are coming from a specific pressing plant or if it's a global issue.
We all know that HD DVD disc production utilizes old existing SD DVD pressing plants and retrofits them for HD DVD.
Perhaps the old parts/hardware left from the SD DVD pressing is not up to spec (or drifts) and at times is out of tolerance and causes this disc production error.

If indeed the discs were to blame then the errors would be repeatable 100% of the time. In my case they are not and they occur at random viewing with different movies both old and new releases. Because of this it is difficult to know if the software updates are actually doing anything at all.

The first gulp from the glass of natural sciences will turn you into an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you.

-Werner Heisenberg
post #189 of 296 Old 12-01-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCoug View Post

I
I sent in my "bad" copy of "Hot Fuzz" combo HD DVD disc to Microsoft for analysis per this thread at Home Theater Forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=262897

My old disc always froze about 58 minutes into the movie with the 408bc504 error code.

That is really strange. I was watching Hot Fuzz the other nigth, rented from netflix, and the screen went blank and audio cut out at the 58 minute mark. The movie kicked back in after a sec and played the whole way through fine. I wonder if there is a layer change or something at that 58 minute mark.

For everyone that thinks this is only the discs, i firmly believe it is an issue with the 3 rd gen players not handling scratches and blemmishes as well as the older players. I posted this on another thread, but i digress, I have had about thirty to forty percent of the discs i got off netflix come up with errors.

Over thanksgiving i had my whole family over to show off my a 35 and new home theater setup. Two of the 3 discs i rented didn't play, ant bully and polar express. Finally shrek 3 did play and saved the night, needless to say i was embarrassed and upset. Anyway the discs were a little beat up but looked playable. Curious, i went over to my friends house the next day and his 360 add on played the discs fine.

Tonight i got galapagos and Mendelssohn: A Midsummer Night's Dream(my girlfriend likes opera). I put in the opera disc first which was unsuprisingly brand new and flawless, the first time it played fine. Then after stopping the disc and restarting, i had to change the resolution from 1080/24 since it wasn't filmed at 24 p, i got the 408bc error code. Simply restarting my A 35 took care of the problem. I didn't wash the disc or anything. THe same thing happened the first time i tried galapagos error code, then after a power cycle it played fine.

Something is not right if all these 3 rd gen players are getting so many error codes. Yes, many times it is probably a bad disc especially with the older players, but there seems to be an inordinate amount of 3rd gen owners who are getting these codes. Just look at the a 35 and 3rd gen threads. FW 1.3 seemed to help with alot of playback issue i was having. For a while i though i had solved all my error code problems. Unfortunatly i was wrong. Thanksgiving and tonight have sent me back to error code hell. I really hope Toshiba can take care of these playback issues, i want to love my a 35 so bad and it just won't let me. Right when i think all the bugs and kinks are gone they come back to bite me in the ass. It is just too bad.

If owning the a 35 has been this frustrating for me, an early adopter who understands techonology can be finicky and knows how to troubleshoot. I just can't imagine the average consumer putting up with it. It is really too bad b/c when the a 35 works like it is supposed too it is an amazing machine. Believe me i hope i am wrong and just have a lemon or maybe i an underestimating the American consumer. However, after talking with other a 35 owners on this and other forums i just don't think so. Not to mention, i really don't have faith in the American consumer updating firmware and troubleshotting through issues with there new 500 dollar HDM player that they expect to work perfectly out of the box. Sadley i feel most would have given up if they had encountered the issues i have have had with the A35. Anyway, end rant, and lets just hope toshiba can fix these annoying nagging issues.
post #190 of 296 Old 12-01-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apodaca View Post

If indeed the discs were to blame then the errors would be repeatable 100% of the time. In my case they are not and they occur at random viewing with different movies both old and new releases. Because of this it is difficult to know if the software updates are actually doing anything at all.

Exactly, take a look at my situation, why would a power cycle take care of the error code issue sometimes if it was always bad discs. Also why would the disc polar express not play in my top of the 3rd gen line A 35 and work fien in my buddy's add on. In my case it definitly isn't the discs all of the time. The bugs in the player are also to blame.
post #191 of 296 Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 AM
B72

with the new Star Trek HDs I have had error codes on 2 different discs

discs 5 and 6 -

what's strange is they have played , then when I take them out and put them in the next day I get the error code and then they will play later on

very confusing - I have made sure they were clean and unplugged, cleared storage and initialized the player a couple times
( the initializing seems to work - for awhile )

I even got a new boxed set and have the same issues with discs 5 and 6

I have an XA2
post #192 of 296 Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I got the error for the first time on a brand new disc (others were rentals) -- "HDNet: Art Mann Presents Crazyness in Austin" on the 23:19 minute mark. I ejected the disc, cleaned it, put it back in and it played beautifully. The people who packed my disk at the factory should've worn gloves on their greasy fingers or something.

I don't blame Toshiba. However, I do think they need to replace that cryptic error code 408bc504 with something more human friendly like "Your disc is dirty. Put down the sandwich and wash the mayonnaise off your hands before handling HD-DVD's."
post #193 of 296 Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 AM

It has been my experience that the error code has been as result of the players hyper-sensitivity to scratches and other blemishes on the disc - as my errors have all appeared repeatable at the same points, and on Netflix disc, never on a new disc, as far as I recall.

Strangely, I had the same issue with my older Toshiba progressive player as its life came to an end - the exact reason I bought the HD-A2 as its replacement.
post #194 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B72 View Post

discs 5 and 6 -

what's strange is they have played , then when I take them out and put them in the next day I get the error code and then they will play later on

very confusing - I have made sure they were clean and unplugged, cleared storage and initialized the player a couple times

I have an XA2

Are you saying you exchanged the Star Trek boxset and you have the same issue on disc 5 and 6 ?

When you got the boxset, where any of the discs loose(out of their holders) ?

post #195 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Just sent back _Ocean's 13_ to Netflix. Combo.

FLAWLESS PLAYBACK.

Looks like folks have finally figured out how to do combos? I definitely hope so!

(XA2/2.7)
post #196 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
B72

Quote:

Are you saying you exchanged the Star Trek boxset and you have the same issue on disc 5 and 6 ?

When you got the boxset, where any of the discs loose(out of their holders) ?

Yes, I exchanged and have the same problems with discs 5 and 6 ( 6 much more often )

( plays - then the next time the error code etc. - not sure why - quite upsetting as Arena is on disc 6 and is my favorite episode )

if it persists, I'm going to send it off

and

although, none of the discs were loose , both came damaged in some way and scratches on the first disc , of course
post #197 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosman22 View Post

Exactly, take a look at my situation, why would a power cycle take care of the error code issue sometimes if it was always bad discs. Also why would the disc polar express not play in my top of the 3rd gen line A 35 and work fien in my buddy's add on. In my case it definitly isn't the discs all of the time. The bugs in the player are also to blame.

I hear you. When I was using my Add On I never once had an issue. When I got my A3 I had the error on 3 movies that played flawlessly on my Add On.
post #198 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got Shrek the 3rd right when it came out from Blockbuster Online. It wouldn't play and I got this error on my A2. I put it in another A2 that I own and worked fine. I sent it back to BB and told them it didn't work and they immediately sent me another one and the same thing happened. Same error in one player and played fine in the other.

I have no idea why my one player doesn't like this movie. I've played numerous other movies on it without a hitch but 2 copies of Shrek are a no go. Luckily my other A2 has been 100% flawless since spring.
post #199 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM

I get the same error while watching the 300 movie that came with the A3 I just purchased. Did it before and after I updated the firmware. Played that same movie on my A20 and it played perfectly fine. Returned the A3 for another thinking that it might be the player and the 300 movie on that one also freezes about midway through it then I get the error. What gives?

Love my A20!!
post #200 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I exchanged and have the same problems with discs 5 and 6 ( 6 much more often )

( plays - then the next time the error code etc. - not sure why - quite upsetting as Arena is on disc 6 and is my favorite episode )

if it persists, I'm going to send it off

and

although, none of the discs were loose , both came damaged in some way and scratches on the first disc , of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

I got Shrek the 3rd right when it came out from Blockbuster Online. It wouldn't play and I got this error on my A2. I put it in another A2 that I own and worked fine. I sent it back to BB and told them it didn't work and they immediately sent me another one and the same thing happened. Same error in one player and played fine in the other.

I have no idea why my one player doesn't like this movie. I've played numerous other movies on it without a hitch but 2 copies of Shrek are a no go. Luckily my other A2 has been 100% flawless since spring.

This issue then may be a fault of the players laser being slightly out of tolerance. I know some of had success by washing/cleaning their disc's but obviously for you, even a new replacement disc did not resolve the issue.

IIRC, they decided to use plastic lenses on the new players instead of glass, which may be causing the laser not to focus properly at times or perhaps the laser accuracy has drifted or was built/shipped at the specification limits for the player design, which causes intermittent playback issues.

post #201 of 296 Old 12-04-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

discs 5 and 6 -

I have an XA2

I have Disk 2 from the Star Trek HD-DVD rented from Netlix.

I was able to play one Episode just fine...then on Episode 7 (Naked Time)...the player would just freez during the opening scene of the episode..no error code...nothing just froze..but I could access the menu.

Took disc out...looked at it and it had a few finger prints but no scratches...took it to the sink and gave it a bath.. Played fine afterwards. Still not convinced it was the disc.

This is really starting to annoy me...discs with virtually no scratches and finger prints causing lockups like this.

I could put a badly scratched DVD in my regular DVD player and most of the time it plays just fine.
post #202 of 296 Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post

I have Disk 2 from the Star Trek HD-DVD rented from Netlix.

I was able to play one Episode just fine...then on Episode 7 (Naked Time)...the player would just freez during the opening scene of the episode..no error code...nothing just froze..but I could access the menu.

Took disc out...looked at it and it had a few finger prints but no scratches...took it to the sink and gave it a bath.. Played fine afterwards. Still not convinced it was the disc.

This is really starting to annoy me...discs with virtually no scratches and finger prints causing lockups like this.

I could put a badly scratched DVD in my regular DVD player and most of the time it plays just fine.

Do you have the XA2 as well or a different model player ?

post #203 of 296 Old 12-05-2007, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

Do you have the XA2 as well or a different model player ?

A30
post #204 of 296 Old 12-08-2007, 07:11 AM

I first jumped unto HDDVD when the 360 add-on first came out. That thing was a champ. It played everything I could throw at it, no matter how scratched up or dirty the disks were; combo or not. Shortly thereafter, I sold the add-on and bought a Toshiba HD-A20. That has worked pretty reliably as well. I've played dozens of movies, but I only had issues with the "Children of Men" combo. I believe the issues with that combo were well publicized.

Anyway after thanksgiving, I convinced a friend to get into HDDVD. He purchased a brand new A3 at Circuit City with Bourne and 300 included. Last night, I was over at his place checking out his new setup with "Bourne Identity", and BOOM...Error Code 408bc504. He wasn't in the room at the time, so I quickly restarted the player and skipped forward to the same scene. Again, I got the same error.

To avoid embarrassment, I quickly pulled out the disk and inspected it for scratches. It appeared fine. I had my copy of "Smoking Aces" HDDVD with me, so I threw that in and skipped to my favorite scene. Within 2 minutes, I got the same error. Keep in mind; I've never received this error on my HD-A20, and I've seen that scene in "Smoking Aces" a million times. I threw Bourne back in and skipped beyond the original error. The disk didnt even play at all. Note; my friend didn't see any of this. He was away the whole time.

He still has version 1.0 or so on his A3, and I tried updating with no luck. I think he's gonna be pretty pissed once he finds that this new snazzy HDDVD can't play hardly anything at all. Me? I'm kind of embarrassed, cuz I've been preaching HD to him and all my other coleagues for months. Let's just hope Toshiba can fix this issue via firmware. This is pretty bad, considering I've such a strong supporter of HDDVD...and the A3 is supposed to be the "New Generation" of HDDVD.
post #205 of 296 Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 AM

I am a recent A3 owner and have had "The" error show up for the first time, at scene 20 of The Matrix. I preemptively contacted Toshiba support almost 2 weeks ago (the day after I bought the player) for a FW disk (my HT is too far away for me to use the Ethernet). I still haven't received the disk. Has anyone successfully received the FW Update disk from Toshiba? Of all the threads I have read many have mentioned that they ordered the disk, but I haven't seen anyone mention any success with receipt and implementation of the FW Update disk. Thanks!

FYI... Cleaning the disk did not work...

Every great Home Theater begins with but a single tolerant spouse...
post #206 of 296 Old 12-11-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgstock View Post

I am a recent A3 owner and have had "The" error show up for the first time, at scene 20 of The Matrix. I preemptively contacted Toshiba support almost 2 weeks ago (the day after I bought the player) for a FW disk (my HT is too far away for me to use the Ethernet). I still haven't received the disk. Has anyone successfully received the FW Update disk from Toshiba? Of all the threads I have read many have mentioned that they ordered the disk, but I haven't seen anyone mention any success with receipt and implementation of the FW Update disk. Thanks!

FYI... Cleaning the disk did not work...

HD-DVD Frimware Burning Thread
post #207 of 296 Old 12-11-2007, 03:01 PM

Thank you! Thank you!! I had tried several times to download the firmware but the player kept on telling me it couldn't read the disk. Your thread reference (which I had not found,... my bad) mentioned that I should be using a CD-R... NOT DVDs. That solved the problem and I have been able to successfully burn and upload to the player. Hopefully the update will allow me to watch the rest of Matrix... I will follow up...

post #208 of 296 Old 12-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Well, I won't be watching The Matrix. Post Firmware Update 1.3 on my A3...When it gets to the end of scene 20 instead of getting the error message it now just freezes, stutters and pixalizes. It eventually freezes solid and won't even allow a scene change to one that I know works. Is there anything left I can do other than scream at Toshiba and/or get a disk replacement? I'm rapidly losing faith in Toshiba...

post #209 of 296 Old 12-11-2007, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpgstock View Post

Well, I won't be watching The Matrix. Post Firmware Update 1.3 on my A3...When it gets to the end of scene 20 instead of getting the error message it now just freezes, stutters and pixalizes. It eventually freezes solid and won't even allow a scene change to one that I know works. Is there anything left I can do other than scream at Toshiba and/or get a disk replacement? I'm rapidly losing faith in Toshiba...

WOW that sucks. I actually had a A3, that I got for $98 from Fry's brand new. I got this message a hand full of times with in one week. Returned it to the store for a full refund! Sticking with my RCA HDV5000. Slow but pretty reliable thus far.
post #210 of 296 Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 PM

First post, same error.

The error occurred during the last two minutes of "The Bourne Ultimatum," which is a brand new disc just released today. First time I've had this error.

I switched the disc over the the SD side and it played fine. I flipped it back over to the HD side and it played fine.

Should I exchange the disc or assume that it is a hardware issue and wait to see what Toshiba is going to do about it? What's everyone else doing with "error discs?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page