HD-XA1 & HD-A1 v2.1 Firmware Updates is now available. Comments? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went back to 2.0 via disk and then reupdate.
All ok to 100% the i see the massage 2.10 in and then 1.0 system error and the player freez.
Any help?
Bye
Luigi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrforce View Post

Count me in the bunch with no more video... My update went without a hitch, then I tried Superman Returns.............. I'm so pissed that I want to throw this machine out the window. It's just a fricking firmware update, why is this so complicated?? I guess I will try the unplugging trick and see if that does the trick...

Mike

On certain players, the video-output is reset to component, so make sure it's toggled back to HDMI with the desired resolution.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

Old 04-03-2007, 03:21 PM

There is no set time for how long the download should take...hell, it took me 2hrs to complete the update using DSL...it depends on how busy the server is.

"May fortune favor the foolish" Captain James T Kirk
Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM

I'm still unplugged right now. I'm saying a few quick prayers that this work. My TV: Mits WD-62525 DLP. Well wish me luck guys, I'm going plug her in....
Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I just talked with Toshiba tech support and they have my report on the HDMI/DVI issue. We went through few exercise to troubleshoot w/out a success.
For those waiting for the disc, it would probably take about 4 weeks to get them according to the tech person since he couldn't even make a request on the computer right now for 2.1. Instead, he made a request for 2.0 for now which should automatically roll me into the future updates.

The HDMI/DVI does work on boot up, but once you place a disc or trying to get access to the setup menu, it loses video output since it fails to create new HDCP handshake from this point. Pressing "voutput" button doesn't help, I've tried this switching back and forth from component to HDMI. I've also tried dumping the storage and reinitializing , and unplugging everything for about 10 minutes..... still no go.

Oh well... I'm just glad the component works for now. For those using HDMI/DVI, I'd wait for more feedbacks... I'm still not sure whether the issue only applies to few or all HDMI/DVI connections.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktober View Post

There is no set time for how long the download should take...hell, it took me 2hrs to complete the update using DSL...it depends on how busy the server is.

I realize that. But downloads with lots of wait time tend to be corrupted (so the data flow is more like burst-stop-burst-stop etc; if the data flow is just slow but continuous, then it should be okay).

regardless, I'm not talking from theory, I'm just talking whatever I've experienced in the past with FW 1.4 and 2.0 on those 20-odd players I've updated.

my home theatre

Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I just talked with Toshiba tech support and they have my report on the HDMI/DVI issue. We went through few exercise to troubleshoot w/out a success.
For those waiting for the disc, it would probably take about 4 weeks to get them according to the tech person since he couldn't even make a request on the computer right now for 2.1. Instead, he made a request for 2.0 for now which should automatically roll me into the future updates.

The HDMI/DVI does work on boot up, but once you place a disc or trying to get access to the setup menu, it loses video output since it fails to create new HDCP handshake from this point. Pressing "voutput" button doesn't help, I've tried this switching back and forth from component to HDMI. I've also tried dumping the storage and reinitializing , and unplugging everything for about 10 minutes..... still no go.

Oh well... I'm just glad the component works for now. For those using HDMI/DVI, I'd wait for more feedbacks... I'm still not sure whether the issue only applies to few or all HDMI/DVI connections.

are you running through receiver, or straight hdmi-dvi to display? can you give me details on your setup please. i knew it was too good to be true. and the finger pointing begins.

"the one who has the most fun wins."

I'm talking from experience too...all my updates have taken well over an hr and I've had no issues to date with corrupted data. To say that it shouldn't take more than a certain length of time to update is ridiculous IMHO.

"May fortune favor the foolish" Captain James T Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Hi Bruce,

To answer your first question. I used to do firmware upgrade for a certain electronic's company's DVD players and CD recorders. Sometimes even when a proper FW number is shown, it can be corrupt and there's lots of hiccups etc. When I reflash them again, the problem went away. As usual, after any firmware upgrade, I always hard reset the unit. If the option is not available, I unplug the unit and leave it off for at least two minutes before re-powering it.

I've done about 4,000 (four thousand), if not more, firmware upgrades for this company and only a handful of times my method didn't work. However, unless the FW chip itself is broken, reflashing the firmware always worked in the past.

To answer the 2nd question, I've helped upgrading a couple of dozen A1 in the past for my friend's store. Everytime the upgrade is between 40 to 50 minutes. Every single one that's past that time (say, 1 hour, past 1 hour) always had issues and I ended up needing to either reflash the firmware or send the item back to Toshiba if I brick the unit. (this is when Toshiba Canada didn't have any CD to be sent out).

Hope it helps.

Sounds reasonable - I'll try the unplug and wait. Thanks.

If I need to refresh the firmware, how do you suggest I do that? Reflash 2.0 again?

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

Old 04-03-2007, 03:30 PM

For those having HDMI problems... Are you going HDMI to DVI? Or is the entire chain HDMI?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone have a link to a downloadable version of 2.0? I would prefer an ISO over an NRG.

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Englebright View Post

For those having HDMI problems... Are you going HDMI to DVI? Or is the entire chain HDMI?

HDMI > DVI for me
Old 04-03-2007, 03:35 PM

Be careful: i downgrade to 2.0 via cd, then reupdate after seeing no video on hdmi an now i've got system error.
Bye
Luigi
Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktober View Post

To say that it shouldn't take more than a certain length of time to update is ridiculous IMHO.

Even on the service memo from head office of various firmware updates (not HD-A1) have been stated something along the line as "firmware update should take 2 to 4 minutes, if it takes longer than that, reflash firmware".

But if you say so. That's fine by me.

my home theatre

Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I have just finished doing the update. It took about 45 min. using a high speed connection.

I just put in the James Taylor HD disk and I got two freeze ups during Bruce Springsteens
version of "Millworker." I decided to replay the song with no problem the second time. I did get several more freeze ups before the end of the disk. It is obvious that no amount of firmware updates will ever get this player to work without these issues. The only thing to do is to get Toshiba to replace the loader. I really think that many of the issues we are having are with the NEC loader. Toshiba could also develope some sort of trade-up program without admitting that they can't solve the problems.

I will make one more test by replugging the unit and redoing all the settings.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM

HDMI connected to Epson Home Cinema 400.

Watched parts of King Kong, Batman Begins and Lucky Number Slevin w/ out any problems.

Tried a DVD-Audio but no luck.

Boot up seems faster.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

I have just finished doing the update. It took about 45 min. using a high speed connection.

I just put in the James Taylor HD disk and I got two freeze ups during Bruce Springsteens
version of "Millworker." I decided to replay the song with no problem the second time. I did get several more freeze ups before the end of the disk. It is obvious that no amount of firmware updates will ever get this player to work without these issues. The only thing to do is to get Toshiba to replace the loader. I really think that many of the issues we are having are with the NEC loader. Toshiba could also develope some sort of trade-up program without admitting that they can't solve the problems.

Did you have freeze ups on these discs BEFORE the update as well?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac View Post

are you running through receiver, or straight hdmi-dvi to display? can you give me details on your setup please. i knew it was too good to be true. and the finger pointing begins.

XA1 is my bedroom setup so it's going directly to the display using monprice HDMI/DVI net-jacketed cable. I'm even using the tv speakers....

So.... we can reflash with 2.0 disc?... please show me the link to legit official 2.0 version please.... I don't mind NRG files.....
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I use HDMI--->DVI so I'm afraid to update to 2.1. Oh well, I haven't had many problems anyway.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I did not try the James Taylor disk on the A1 since I also own an A2 with no problems.

The interesting thing is that it did not freeze on the second try of the specific song.

I did have an HDMI issue when I flashed the firmware and it turned the unit on and off and reseated the cables. That issue has been resolved. I will try other disks and report back.

I also don't notice much difference in startup or loading times. I do agree that one should upluge the unit and wait a few minutes before testing it after doing the firmware upgrade.

I also feel that the firmware upgrade is different from the usual upgrade on other players since it involves both software and firmware for the NEC loader. I also own an Oppo
player and firware upgrades take about two minutes.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra View Post

I have a BenQ 8700 (not the plus version) and with version 2.0 I always had synch issues that would correct themselves by going to setup and back a couple of times.

After updating to 2.1 I no longer have any synch issues, it plays the movie first time but... I no longer can get a picture

The display has "DVI-D Not Supportive" for 1080i and 480. In 720P I just get a screen of multi-colored garbage.

I get the HD-DVD splash screen fine but nothing beyond that. The movie plays and sound is fine but I now never get a picture through DVI. Component still works fine.

I have reconnected everything, recycled my projector and the player many times with no help. I reinitialized the player and unplugged it for a while and still a no-go. The update screen shows the new version.

The root problem I believe is that this projector cycles between DVD-I and DVD-D when you select the DVI interface, there is no way to force it to stay on one setting.

Anyone else with an 8700 do this upgrade yet? I already know calling Toshiba will be a waste of time...

Also, since the 2.0 disc has the Drive upgrade on it do you think I should be able to go back to 2.0?

I'm going to upgrade tonight and post my results. I have an 8700+ with firmware 1.07. I have had sync issues starting with the version prior to 2.0. I'm using a HDMI switcher and program it to switch inputs and then hit play. It normally takes a few tries before the movie starts.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:55 PM

HDMI ---> DVI and no, power-off and wait didn't change anything. I also had NO problems before this upgrade - my fault for jumping in prematurely (I know better).

Either a 2.0 revert (anybody know where I can get a 2.0 ISO?), or I've got to dig out a set of component cables now, until 2.2 is out.

Oh and I forgot - then I have to figure out my multi-channel sound issue.

MY ADVICE: IF YOU AREN'T SEEING ISSUES WITH YOUR CURRENT REV, STICK WITH IT.

I'm not crazy!  My mother had me tested...

Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 PM

My XA1 is connected via HDMI to my Panny SA-XR57, and then HDMI/DVI to my toshiba 30HF83 display. Anyone with similar connection environment (HDMI to receiver; HDMI/DVI to display) successfully update to 2.1 without DVI display problems?

thx!
Old 04-03-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just completed the update, took about 40min. I wish I didn't send back Children Of Men for a replacement, if anyone had problems with that disc give it a try.

Panasonic 60GT30
Denon X4100
Oppo BDP-103
Definitive Technology BP-8060ST CS-8060HD SR-8040BP ProMonitor 800 (front heights)
SVS 2x PC12-NSD
Dolby Atmos 5.2.2
Old 04-03-2007, 04:01 PM

WOW....

Who cares to discuss the download times.... ????

Seems the topic is what is this update doing to our players!!!!!!!!!

Guess I will wait this one out for a period of time... 2.0 has been good for me so far, but I have yet to play "HAPPY FEET" or "CHILDREN OF MEN".....

Outside of a small hiccup in my copy of "THE MUMMY", I have been error free...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

My player is currently updating. Will update with status on Stalingrad and the 28:50 Happy Feet freeze soon.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitta View Post

Tried a DVD-Audio but no luck.

ah well, maybe fw 3.0
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM

I got my video back after using the unplug power cord method. I think I must have a defective Superman Returns disk. I thought I had made it through the skipping parts and then it froze my entire player..... I guess I have to accept my small victories!! I have video at least again. I'm to scared to try my other disk at this point. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Mike
Old 04-03-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

happy to report I just finished updating without issue. I just popped in the good shephard.. so far so good.

ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It's been so long since an update, but does anyone remember the hard reset steps that was posted here sometime last year when 1.2 was released? Isn't it something like once the update is done, power off, unplug the unit, then power on unit, then do "initialize" and then power off again?