HD-XA1 & HD-A1 v2.1 Firmware Updates is now available. Comments? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

I have tested with DVI input and have no problem. Has everyone tried re-setting-up their resolution and output settings? Mine went back to factory default.

Yup, tried everything. No go on my setup. Back to analog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is everyone letting toshiba know of HDMI/DVI issue with v2.1?... more we report, faster it will be addressed.
post #183 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I have tested with DVI input and have no problem. Has everyone tried re-setting-up their resolution and output settings? Mine went back to factory default.

I really don't want to drag this off topic, but I'm trying to avoid a mindless additional thread.

As I wrote above, there are a couple key features that we DVI-ers are interested in.

First of all, if you're successful, please indicate more specifically what your signal chain is. For example, I've got A1>Monoprice Switcher>Sony RPTV, and have yet to update (losing all DVI signal would, well, suck).

Secondly, can anybody provide a fool-proof way of absolutely testing for colourspace issue? I'm guessing that a/b'ing with component is one way, but I'm hoping for something like AVIA/DVE that'll show the obvious. As it's not quite as evident as black or white crush, it's a bit more subtle to test for, no?

One step forward, fifty back...

post #184 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I have had very few problems with both my A1 and A2. I think that they are very good players but the A1 did have some issues which are known to all. I give Toshiba credit for trying to fix the issues but in retrospect I don't think that they are they can fix them all.

The NEC drive,I believe, is the main issue with the A1. I am sorry that Toshiba did not come up with a replacement drive for this unit. Regarding disk freezing and skipping which is a issue for some. I believe that the drive is the issue again, I once owned a Momitsu upconverting player and had similar issues. I replaced the drive with a Lite-On and that solved the problem with that unit. I just wish Toshiba would make it possible for us to use the Toshiba drive from the A2 or the new Benq HD drive. I would also like Toshiba to come up with a trade up program for the A1. We were the real Beta testers and should be rewarded for our efforts and problems.

I don't believe the colorspace DVI-HDMI issue can be fixed with firmware. I think it is an issue in the chip.
post #185 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Sax
Advanced Member

What should I set my internet speed too, I use dsl now and when I hook it up to the cable modum, it's not connecting. The internet light on the modum dose not light up. So do I need to select the right dsl speed to make it connect to the internet? I'm trying to download the new 2.1 to my XA-1, on the XA-1 I need to select a dsl speed.
post #186 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 328
I have SMS the Toshiba rep I know the link to this thread.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #187 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I had more glitches with my A1 using DVI. I remember with 1.0 and the player locking up completely, boy did that tick me off. When firmware 1.4 came out, all was pretty darned good with DVI with the occasional hicup every now and again but thankfully I had no complete lockups after 1.4. Then the damned HD DVD's started coming out that needed firmware 2.0 to work but with that came the dreaded color conversion problems with HDMI>DVI! When I finally switched to HDMI, glitches were far and few between with my A1 during playback. I got my player ON launch day in the States.

It's really too bad that there are "good" and "bad" players, but it's obvious DVI has a lot to do with the problems too. They should still be sent back to Toshiba for warranty work though. Backwards compatible my but.

B

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
post #188 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Do the problems caused by HDMI to DVI conversion only or is it because the DVI inputs on the problem units caused by lack of HDCP? (only the final year of DVI displays they are HDCP compliant, the first several gens of DVI displays are not HDCP compliant).

my home theatre

post #189 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Liked: 16
So does the update address the black crush issue?
post #190 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

sigh....

i knew it was too good to be true. i want to try it so badly, but don't want to risk losing hdmi altogether. i wish some of you who have it working with dvi would give more details on your setup.

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #191 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

can everybody who has problem with their DVI post whether your DVI is HDCP compliant?

can everybody who does NOT have any problem with DVI post whether your DVI is HDCP compliant?

Thank you.

my home theatre

post #192 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I have an XA1, but have been trying out an XA2 for last 2 weeks. I just paid for it and now wonder if I'm a fool for continuing to support this company. Clearly they are struggling to make these players work consistently for owners.

Based on these posts, I'm not upgrading the XA1 to 2.1 until functionality with DVI is fixed. I'll be putting it up for sale shortly and would hate to pimp a potential new owner. Other than the black level issue, I've not had any handshake problems using with my display's DVI.

I hope everyone now with broken DVI gets satisfaction from Toshiba. We deserve better than this!

ss9001

Steve
post #193 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Do the problems caused by HDMI to DVI conversion only or is it because the DVI inputs on the problem units caused by lack of HDCP? (only the final year of DVI displays they are HDCP compliant, the first several gens of DVI displays are not HDCP compliant).

Hi,

I was referring to the improper color conversion when using an HDMI->DVI connection with the A1/XA1 which is a known issue with firmware 2.0.

HDCP is another nightmare all on its own.

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
post #194 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 PM

This SUCKS. I just picked up a scanner darkly. promptly updated my firmware, and now have a brick.

terrible.

I'm using HDMI>DVI.

post #195 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradad View Post

Hi,

I was referring to the improper color conversion when using an HDMI->DVI connection with the A1/XA1 which is a known issue with firmware 2.0.

HDCP is another nightmare all on its own.

I know, but I'm referring to handshake problem that some people are now getting with the 2.1

my home theatre

post #196 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
ok, I gave up and created a thread - for those with DVI I suggest we post there and free this up for those that are successfully updating their machines with HDMI setups.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10205952

post #197 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I also had incorrect black levels with my setup. But that's preferable to broken connectivity

As to asking about HDCP, while it should be re-confirmed, I believe most are saying it worked before, now is broken after the FW upgrade, so HDCP should not be an issue.

It genuinely sounds like Toshiba's upgrade has broken some functionality.

ss9001

Steve
post #198 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM

Liked: 11
I upgraded from 1.0 to 2.1. Output HDMI 1080i>Lumagen HDP>DVI. King Kong now plays if I reboot HD-DVD player. But if I try to go into Setup I get noise. Press setup again to exit and noise reappears instead of movie. This really sucks and how something like this firmware could be released to the public is negligent.
I will call Customer Support to express my displeasure. I hope the CD I ordered will remedy the problem. I also have a HDMI card (for a CRT pj) on order which I hope fixes these DVI issues.
My biggest concern at this point is not being able to get into the setup menus. Will the firmware on the CD be accessed and loaded automatically or does it have to be initiated from the setup menu?
post #199 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

This update is a mixed bag for me. Superman Returns no longer freezes where it use to but I managed to freeze the player trying to play the Bridge scene on MI:3

Jorge

Audio Enthusiast, HD Videophile.
post #200 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

is there any way to know whether a machine has a NEC loader or otherwise?

All A1/XA1 players have an NEC loader.
post #201 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:26 PM

I'm never buying another Toshiba player again. What a mess.
post #202 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezug View Post

I'm never buying another Toshiba player again. What a mess.

Welcome to the forums?
post #203 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Did the 2.1 FW update tonight and it worked fine(XA1). Playback via HDMI thru monoprice switch to my JVC Lcos worked, just a bit different sequence before the handshake occurred from the previos 2.0 FW. Otherwise, I tested the MI III bridge scence which has given me issues before worked flawlessly twice. But on the other hand, my player has worked relatively well from day one. Sorry to hear from those of you with more issues. Hopefully Toshiba can step up and fix your problems.

Good luck,

Brandon
post #204 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:42 PM

I just updated to 2.1. The installation was painless (other than taking 40 minutes), however I am still left with an HD-XA1 that I cannot get an HDMI signal out to my Samsung HLS-6188 61" DLP TV. With the 2.0 firmware I would usually get a 'Weak or no signal' message using the same cable and HDMI port that works fine with my PS3, Dish Network PVR, and AppleTV. Now I get a bright green screen that stays on throughout the HD-XA1 boot process, but as soon as the Welcome message disappears from the display on the player the TV displays the 'Weak or no signal' message. Power cycling, swapping cables, pressing pause/play several times doesn't have any effect.

Something obviously changed with the 2.1 update, but I am still left with a player that won't output through the HDMI port which is VERY frustrating. Has anybody else successfully connected to a Samsung HLS-6188 via HDMI? Does this sound more like a hardware problem with the HD-AX1 than a typical HDMI issue that could be resolved with the firmware update?

I now wish I had returned the player for service under the 90 day labor warranty rather than holding out hope that the firmware updates would do the trick. Ugh.
post #205 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post

Will an RCA 5000 (A1 clone) automatically download the 2.0/2.1 firmware when connected to the internet? If not, how can I get the player to go to the right site to download the correct files?

The RCA connects to a Thompson/RCA update website and so that won't work until (if and when) Thompson/RCA loads 2.1 firmware. From past performance, that shouldn't be expected for at least two weeks.

The other solution would be to download, burn and install an earlier version Toshiba FW release. That will have the effect of changing the "call home" address.
post #206 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis View Post

I upgraded from 1.0 to 2.1. Output HDMI 1080i>Lumagen HDP>DVI. King Kong now plays if I reboot HD-DVD player. But if I try to go into Setup I get noise. Press setup again to exit and noise reappears instead of movie. This really sucks and how something like this firmware could be released to the public is negligent.
I will call Customer Support to express my displeasure. I hope the CD I ordered will remedy the problem. I also have a HDMI card (for a CRT pj) on order which I hope fixes these DVI issues.
My biggest concern at this point is not being able to get into the setup menus. Will the firmware on the CD be accessed and loaded automatically or does it have to be initiated from the setup menu?

Let me ask a couple of questions. How long did you wait when switching to and from Setup and saw noise? What did you do to restore picture, if anything?

The **XA2** I'm trying out came with FW 1.0. With my DVI display, it down-rezzed to 480p, so I upgraded FW to 1.3 which gave me 1080i/p. But the time for complete HDCP handshake increased from several seconds to over a full minute after the upgrade. During that wait time, I saw noise. Going to & from Setup was a second or 2, with no noise, but the initial handshake time with my DVI setup now takes >1 min. I let Robert at V.E. know in case some of his customers with the same display I have think the XA2 doesn't work.

Maybe the same thing is occurring with the A1/XA1's with DVI. If you see noise and not a black screen, wait a minute or 2 and see if it works. If it does, great!

Just a thought that might help confirm whether these are really broken or not.
Good luck.

ss9001

Steve
post #207 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4ME2 View Post

I just updated to 2.1. The installation was painless (other than taking 40 minutes), however I am still left with an HD-XA1 that I cannot get an HDMI signal out to my Samsung HLS-6188 61" DLP TV. With the 2.0 firmware I would usually get a 'Weak or no signal' message using the same cable and HDMI port that works fine with my PS3, Dish Network PVR, and AppleTV. Now I get a bright green screen that stays on throughout the HD-XA1 boot process, but as soon as the Welcome message disappears from the display on the player the TV displays the 'Weak or no signal' message. Power cycling, swapping cables, pressing pause/play several times doesn't have any effect.

Something obviously changed with the 2.1 update, but I am still left with a player that won't output through the HDMI port which is VERY frustrating. Has anybody else successfully connected to a Samsung HLS-6188 via HDMI? Does this sound more like a hardware problem with the HD-AX1 than a typical HDMI issue that could be resolved with the firmware update?

I now wish I had returned the player for service under the 90 day labor warranty rather than holding out hope that the firmware updates would do the trick. Ugh.

I have the same set and I don't have this problem. I do have a faint green line on the right side the is visable only during dark scenes....always has been this way even with 2.0. I just have to use a different trick to get rid of it now. See my ost earlier for more on that. But my 6188 does get a picture with 2.1
post #208 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax View Post

What should I set my internet speed too, I use dsl now and when I hook it up to the cable modum, it's not connecting. The internet light on the modum dose not light up. So do I need to select the right dsl speed to make it connect to the internet? I'm trying to download the new 2.1 to my XA-1, on the XA-1 I need to select a dsl speed.

The speed setting isn't your problem, but change it to one of the faster speeds. With your modem connected to your player, unplug the modem, wait 15 seconds, and plug it back in. Then wait for all the lights to come on.
post #209 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Updated to 2.1 without a hitch. It took about 35 minutes using comcast cable internet. My power up time was 50 seconds from power on to hddvd splash screen. Still slow but maybe a slight improvement.
post #210 of 723 Old 04-03-2007, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is your HDMI->DVI-D equipment chain?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page