Swapping the Xbox for the A2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the xbox add-on but am really tempted by the Toshiba A2 deal and the free discs from BB. Thing is, it would mean getting rid of the OPPO player I have, which is fine if the Toshiba is a s good as the Oppo at upconverting. I could also get rid of the switcher box I need now and make my wife a lot happier.Also I would not need to lug the 360 back and forth when I want to watch a movie. It seems there is no consistent concensus re: the upconverting ability of this machine. Some say OPPO is far better, others say Toshiba by far. I would like to hear from those who have seen both. Is it worth me making the plunge?
I have the PS2 also and was thinking about taking it back and changing it for the Sammy 1200, but the Tosh would be less expensive and easier to switch out.
I have a Sony HS 10 pj.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 09:56 AM
GCS
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I have had them all (A1, XA1, A2, XA2, 360 Add on). I have not had the Oppo but I have had A LOT of the other upconverting players.

By far the XA2 is the best, SD DVDs look awesome IMHO.

A2 did/does a great job as well but not as good as the XA2.

By comparison I think that the A2 does as well as or better than most upconverting players. Better then the OPPO I don't know.

I think the A2 is better than the 360 add on but for now I am hanging with that in the office for the moment due to cost and less components on the rack. If the A2 drops another $100 out goes the 360 add-on for sure.

I say get the A2 from BB but don't open the discs you get for the moment. Try it out. If you are happy keep it, sell the Oppo, 360 addon etc etc etc. If not take the A2 back and you are out nothing other than some time and effort.

Best to see for yourself but I think you will be happy and the A2 should make your wife happier as well.

Greg

XBL Gamertag - blowfish7494

"Pull up your big boy pants and deal with it" - The Wife!

"Put on your man suit and fake it" - The Wife

post #3 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 AM

i made the jump from the 360 add on to the A2 and am very happy. i sold the 360 hd dvd drive on ebay and only took a $30 loss, and it had a few good months of use and it served its purpose to get me into the high def game. upconversion on the A2 is very nice, and its alot easier to control than the 360 add on.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 10:24 AM

Coops you sound just like me. I am really thinking about switching up to the A2 as well now that a 9 free HD DVD deal is happening.

My only concern is that it has no digital coaxil output (I would need to buy a converter or switcher since my reciever only has one) and the fact that people are saying its not as great an upconverter as the XA2.

I cannot afford the XA2 right now but I did have an A1 at one time (switched it for the add on due to better playback and less loadtimes) and thought it did a fantastic job at upconverting. Is the A2 is the same ballpark? Better or worse at upconversion?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Come to think of it, I will need an hdmi to dvi converter. Not sure if my pj will accept that or not.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 10:41 AM

The other thing swaying me is the rumors of Samsung releasing a dual formate player in July that is 100% functional with both formats.

It is also said that they will only price it at a 10% difference of their 2nd gen BD player.

If I could get a dual player for less than $1,000 I'd be happy.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

So I took the plunge. I got a monster hdmi to dvi connector and it worked, and fired up KK. I set the res. to 720 and went to the fight with the t-rex. Wow. I thought it was better than the Xbox. Perhaps dvi better than component? Then I fired up Shrek (sdvd of course) and again was blown away. I thought much better than the OPPO. Same goes for ROTK. So far, I am very pleased. Now to get the audio taken care of. Picked up Happy feet, Hollywoodland, The good Shepherd and Polar Express as my freebies. Read somewhere that Toshiba offer another five? See nothing in the box yet.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
coops,

If you are connecting your A2 via optical cable...the manual suggests these settings.

SPDIF----->bitstream
HDMI------>downmixed PCM

Oh....and make sure you have the Dynamic Range Control & Dialog Enhancement options turned "off".

post #9 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow1994 View Post

coops,

If you are connecting your A2 via optical cable...the manual suggests these settings.

SPDIF----->bitstream
HDMI------>downmixed PCM

Oh....and make sure you have the Dynamic Range Control & Dialog Enhancement options turned "off".

Cheers, will do.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-09-2007, 06:43 PM

sure would be nice if someone had some benchmarks or something compaqring these two models..
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page