One Year ago today, Happy Birthday HDDVD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
players were bought and posted about here on AVS. Ron P led the way and started the massive thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=667248

Yes, we have had our ups and downs, yet this is a toast to finally having great HD content on those shiny little discs, in our own homes, for the last year.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Yes, we have had our ups and downs, yet this is a toast to finally having great HD content on those shiny little discs, in our own homes, for the last year.

It was one hell of a home theater year, looking forward to having even more of my favorite movies on those little shiny discs.
post #3 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ahh memories. I still remember that day I was working my part-time and browsing the forums all of sudden the thread was created and hot dam I never saw a Thread explode or blow up like that thread. Things have changed though last year everyone was so excited and now all anyone does it B & moan. Guys this is a hobby lets just try to enjoy it.

Rob
post #4 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Yup...saw the post and ran down to my BB to pick my A1 up. I believe that was the first day I met EchoBaseGeek.

Still love my A1.
post #5 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 97
It has been one crazy year with both UPS and DOWNS!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #6 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Now can we officialy not refer to this as a new technology, ourselves as early adopters and recieve properly functioning hardware?
post #7 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

I think you speak for the minority. I have NEVER had an issue with my A1, and my A2 is humming along happily as well.

If you complain this loudly to Toshiba it'll get fixed. Unless you bought it a year ago today you are still under warranty.
post #8 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Good times, good times. I was bound and determined to go BD, but when I saw this thread I became as giddy as a 3 year old and had to have one!!!!!!! It was that picture of Lord of Double D that put me over the edge.
post #9 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I commemorated the anniversary with the purchase of an A2! Maybe the 2nd anniversary will see discs from Disney or Fox!
post #10 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post

I think you speak for the minority. I have NEVER had an issue with my A1, and my A2 is humming along happily as well.

If you complain this loudly to Toshiba it'll get fixed. Unless you bought it a year ago today you are still under warranty.

Same here. First time I popped the disk in (July last year) and saw that FBI warning - how clean and clear it was I knew I was in for a treat. And now I'll never look back. Thanks to Toshiba for making us hi def lovers happy as heck.
post #11 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 PM
boo
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post

I think you speak for the minority. I have NEVER had an issue with my A1

Still have my A1 since that faithful Saturday morning a year ago and never a problem with it either.
post #12 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, this site exploded with the news. The very next day, I picked up an A1 at Best Buy, and with my 12 year old son in tow, held the A1 in its box above my head, and hollered YEAAAAAA! going out the door!

post #13 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Compared to some of you guys I was a bit of a late comer as I waiting until June to buy my A1 through the Continental rewards program, but it was the reported first hand experiences of you really early adopters that got me excited enough about HD-DVD to buy the player, and it turned out to the the best CE purchase I've ever made in my relatively short purchasing life. So I'll toast to all you guinea pigs and say thanks!
post #14 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Good times, good times. I was bound and determined to go BD, but when I saw this thread I became as giddy as a 3 year old and had to have one!!!!!!! It was that picture of Lord of Double D that put me over the edge.

Is this the photo you were referring to?

That was an awesome day. I saw Ron P and another person saying they had picked their HD-DVD players at a BB up the coast here in CA. I figured that if forum members were seeing players up the coast then players were in CA and maybe my store would have one. I made a quick call to the Simi Valley Magnolia and they said they had them in stock. I rushed over there as quickly as I could to get one.

The crazy thing was that the salesperson asked if I wanted any movies with the player. My first thought was that he was going to bring over some SD DVDs because the first HD-DVD movies weren't supposed to street until April 18th - 4 days later. Well, what do you know, he pulls out The Last Samurai and Phantom of the Opera on HD-DVD. At that point my only thought was - let's get this guy paid and get this stuff out of here. I was worried that someone would figure out that he wasn't supposed to sell the movies to me before the street date.

Though there is no way to prove it, my wife and I like to think that we may have been the first consumers in America to watch an HD-DVD. The reason we think this is that most everyone on the forum who was able to get a player on that first day was not able to purchase movies. I guess we got lucky!

Well anyway, happy 1st anniversary HD-DVD - it's been one hell of a ride.

Finally, just to be clear that home theater is not a hobby - it's an addiction, here is what this forum (and HD-DVD) has done to me this year:

Here's my HT on April 14th, 2006:

Here's my HT as of April 14th, 2007:

I think I'll watch Phantom and The Last Samurai tonight in celebration of one year with HD-DVD.

Cheers,
DD
post #15 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Great thread guys!! That's an awesome before & after Lord. Too cool!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #16 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, we are living in some great times. Toast one today, for all parties involved (don't forget Amir & Kevin) in bringing us this great medium.

post #17 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 327
I recall driving up to Value Electronics to pick up my A1

no HD DVD discs were available, but I got the player!

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #18 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob316 View Post

Ahh memories. I still remember that day I was working my part-time and browsing the forums all of sudden the thread was created and hot dam I never saw a Thread explode or blow up like that thread. Things have changed though last year everyone was so excited and now all anyone does it B & moan. Guys this is a hobby lets just try to enjoy it.

Rob

+1 and me i tried to contact my cousin who is living in US and get one for me!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MR HD DVD
post #19 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Good Times Indeed Good Times

Rob
post #20 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofDoubleD View Post

That was an awesome day. I saw Ron P and another person saying they had picked their HD-DVD players at a BB up the coast here in CA. I figured that if forum members were seeing players up the coast then players were in CA and maybe my store would have one. I made a quick call to the Simi Valley Magnolia and they said they had them in stock. I rushed over there as quickly as I could to get one.

The crazy thing was that the salesperson asked if I wanted any movies with the player. My first thought was that he was going to bring over some SD DVDs because the first HD-DVD movies weren't supposed to street until April 18th - 4 days later. Well, what do you know, he pulls out The Last Samurai and Phantom of the Opera on HD-DVD. At that point my only thought was - let's get this guy paid and get this stuff out of here. I was worried that someone would figure out that he wasn't supposed to sell the movies to me before the street date.

Though there is no way to prove it, my wife and I like to think that we may have been the first consumers in America to watch an HD-DVD. The reason we think this is that most everyone on the forum who was able to get a player on that first day was not able to purchase movies. I guess we got lucky!

Well anyway, happy 1st anniversary HD-DVD - it's been one hell of a ride.

Finally, just to be clear that home theater is not a hobby - it's an addiction, here is what this forum (and HD-DVD) has done to me this year:

Here's my HT on April 14th, 2006:

Here's my HT as of April 14th, 2007:

I think I'll watch Phantom and The Last Samurai tonight in celebration of one year with HD-DVD.

Cheers,
DD

Great looking HT Lord.

Rob
post #21 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 01:58 PM

one of first owner

post #22 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hah, found my pic. Who knew that such a seemingly innocuous electronics purchase; would wind up providing so many hours of amusement both in front of the projection screen and computer monitor.

post #23 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 03:09 PM

Onkyo 10 was the other person besides Ron P who lit a fire under me to see if I could pick one up on the 14th. How come I didn't buy three?! I could've made quite a bit of cash in those early days. Onkyo 10 how'd you make out on those three players?
post #24 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Who would have thought at launch that 1 year later, we'd be at 2nd generation players, a 1080p high end model, and the highest end model in the $500s! Happy birthday HD-DVD!!
post #25 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Sometimes I wish I never discovered the HD-A1 last June. Living in SD DVD land would have been a lot easier on my wallet.
post #26 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofDoubleD View Post

Yep, what a sweet day that must have been. I scrambled like crazy to get one that week , but the BB in Boise had 1 unit!!!!(Remember those days?) So I went to every place in town, but didn't get one until May 2nd at a local Sears. It has been a blast ever since!!!!!!!
post #27 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by venk View Post

Sometimes I wish I never discovered the HD-A1 last June. Living in SD DVD land would have been a lot easier on my wallet.

Haha! Agreed! I spend so much $$$ on these great HD DVD movies!
post #28 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Great thread and great occasion. Making me come out of my shell and post outside of the insider thread and say a few things .

For me there were two noteworthy events. The first one was a couple of weeks (?) before the product launched. I got a nice gift from my team in the form of the XA-1 (Japanese model) and four check disks. I lugged the stuff home, made a quick connection into my home theater, and got ready to find compression artifacts and other problems to go and complain about to me team.

With remote control in my hand (so that I could seek quickly to problem areas,) I put in The Last Samurai. My jaw fell off as the movie started to play. Instead of problems, I saw an incredible image that just froze me in my spot. I could not take my eye off the screen. I must have stood in front of my rack for 20 minutes before getting tired and went to sit in my normal chair. I put down the remote and watched the rest of the movie, totally uninterested in debugging problems. When The Last Samurai finished, I put in the next movie, and then the one after that. Soon I looked at the clock and it was 1:30am!

I went to bed, incredibly proud of the work that went into producing this experience. The work the studios had done even on their initial titles to produce such great quality. The VC-1 and HDi teams for pulling through with custom tools and hand holding to create these early titles. Toshiba for building what must be the most complex piece of CE equipment to date. All of it held together and worked amazingly well, even for this jaded, compression freak who is always on the lookout for that minor imperfection. Before going to bed, I fire off an email complementing the team for their hard work, and the emotional experience they had created for me that night.

Not having the ability to discuss my experience in public, I created a thread, talking about seeing things with HD DVD one has never seen. Like Tom Cruise spit showing in the shaft of light as he spoke. Or dust particles in the same light. Folks didn't take kindly to those comments . Then I realized that they had not experienced what I had just gone though. So the painful clock started to tick until the product got out. And wondering if my experience was unique, or would be shared by others.

The second major event of course, was the runaway HD DVD thread. Yes, I remember Ron P. But I also remember every new person getting a unit and using superlatives on how great the picture (and sound) was. I started to bookmark those and soon I had so many of those links, they were getting out of control. So I made a doc just to keep track of it all. I circulated them internally, putting a smile on the developers who had stayed up night day for 6 months, working with Toshiba to get the HDi working in their product. And the codec team. It sure made their day.

All in all, when one works hard on a project, it is easy to lose sight of how great the end result can be. You focus on the task at hand, and the difficulty of finishing it. Such was our experience with the launch of HD DVD.

At a personal level, I fell in love with audio when I was teenager in 1970s. I used to pester my dad for money to let me buy high-end audio gear. He always thought I was wasting money that way but let me have enough money to get me hooked. I never thought 30 years later, I would become part of the history of audio and video in this major way. And that I would be doing it by working for Microsoft. Who would think that your hobby travels so far? And that you go from watching a sport on TV, to being one of the players?

Throughout this era, you all paid a critical role. Your compliments gave us the energy to keep going. Your feedback changed the specs and features of products and deliverables. And your probing questions made us think. And those of you rooting for BD, made us work even harder .

What a joyful year it has been.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #29 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

What a joyful year it has been.

I'll drink to that! Cheers and thanks for the memories to you and the whole team Amir.
post #30 of 86 Old 04-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 327

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page