What audio format do you use on your A2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm still confused at to what to use ...... Digital output SPIDIF =Bitstream or PCM ,
Digital outp HDMI Auto PCM, or downmix pcm????????????????//........
Help me out guys someone explain this to the dummy....
By the way im running HDMI to my Onkyo 604 and HDMI to my MITS. WD-Y65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't know much about your receiver. With my RX-V1700 I use auto for HDMI.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have the Onkyo 803 and I have HDMI set to "auto" (which means multichannel PCM will go to recv'r when TrueHD/DD+ is playing, and bitstream will go to recv'r when DD/DTS is playing).

I think I have the SPDIF set to "bitstream", but it really shouldn't matter since we're using HDMI to carry the audio to the recv'r. I know if you use the optical, the manual recommends playing with the HDMI setting as well since the HDMI setting can affect the optical out. But that is moot for what you're doing.

This is an honest comment and not meant as a criticism, but I've noticed many people posting questions about which settings to use and how to hook up the audio and which soundtracks on the HD-DVD to choose from. I honestly don't see what the confusion is. The manual makes perfect sense to me and I always choose TrueHD if it's available.

Just my $0.02.

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #4 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

When I use Auto all I get in the receiver is multichannel ......no dts, dolby or anything ....no sound out my rear speakers.......I have to set it to pcm down mix to get any of the dts Dolby etc. formats.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post

When I use Auto all I get in the receiver is multichannel ......no dts, dolby or anything ....no sound out my rear speakers.......I have to set it to pcm down mix to get any of the dts Dolby etc. formats.

Do you have a 5.1 or 7.1 set-up?

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #6 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

post #7 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

I don't know much about your receiver. With my RX-V1700 I use auto for HDMI.

Ditto. Same receiver but with XA2.
post #8 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

You're not providing enough information. What kind of disc are you playing? What soundtrack on that disc are you selecting?

With HD-DVDs, all you WILL get is multichannel, since TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus are decoded by the player and sent, as 5.1 only, to the recv'r as multichannel PCM. I don't have 7.1 speakers, but there're other people on the forum who mention how to make the extra 2 "rear" speakers play sound...I think you have to do something on the recv'r for that.

When you're playing an old style Standard Def DVD (with Dolby Digital or DTS), you *should* get Dolby Digital or DTS on the recv'r, assuming that you've set HDMI to Auto on the A2. That's how it works for me.

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #9 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Onkyo only handles 5.1 through HDMI. It says in the manual, and I have the same one as well. We have to wait for this years model to get 7.1 through HDMI (not confirmed yet).

I have an optical cable hooked up in addition to the HDMI, so when I play a S-DVD with DD+ or DTS-ES, I get the 6th channel.

You won't be able to get 6.1 or 7.1 DolbyTrue with this match. The DVD doesn't have analog out, and the reciever only does 5.1 HDMI in. So, enjoy the 5.1 TrueHD until you get a new rec or new HD-DVD.

I'm in the same boat.

post #10 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You won't be able to get 6.1 or 7.1 DolbyTrue with this match. The DVD doesn't have analog out, and the reciever only does 5.1 HDMI in. So, enjoy the 5.1 TrueHD until you get a new rec or new HD-DVD.

I'm in the same boat.

Well I just purchased the 604 a week ago so it will be a while before I get a new receiver.

OK ......well If I want 7.1 which I do I'll just have to set it to Dolby PL IIx or DTS nero 6 and get 6.1..... (It's not like it sounds bad or something.....LOL)
True HD is only 5.1...............now I know ........OK Thanks guys that clears some things up for me......
I'll just leave it on PCM down mix and get my 7.1 I guess.........I mostly watch action movies so I really like the rear back surrounds.......I will try the 5.1 with the auto setting though and see if I can tell much of a difference ...But I got a feeling I'll end up going back to the PCM down mix and go with my Dolby Digital PLIIx movie setting Iv been using..........
Thanks a bunch
post #11 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I just purchased the 604 a week ago so it will be a while before I get a new receiver.

OK ......well If I want 7.1 which I do I'll just have to set it to Dolby PL IIx or DTS nero 6 and get 6.1..... (It's not like it sounds bad or something.....LOL)
True HD is only 5.1...............now I know ........OK Thanks guys that clears some things up for me......
I'll just leave it on PCM down mix and get my 7.1 I guess.........I mostly watch action movies so I really like the rear back surrounds.......I will try the 5.1 with the auto setting though and see if I can tell much of a difference ...But I got a feeling I'll end up going back to the PCM down mix and go with my Dolby Digital PLIIx movie setting Iv been using..........
Thanks a bunch

To me, personally, I would take 5.1 True HD over 6.1 or 7.1 of the regular DD or DTS. To me, its much crisper sound. Batman Begins and V for Vendetta are two that I have in TrueHD and they sound fantastic.

DTS and DD still sound good, don't get me wrong, but I'll take lossless sound given the opportunity.

post #12 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It really doesn't matter for me, because I only play HD DVDs on my HD-A2 and every HD DVD soundtrack is sent as PCM anyway. But still, I set HDMI to "PCM" on the A2 and set my HD DVD player's receiver input to only accept PCM signals. I own the Denon AVR-4306 and because it handles PCM signals so well with its AL24 processing, I have my players decode legacy codecs when possible.
post #13 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks a bunch

It's crazy to give up the LFE channel, full discrete channel separation, and audio as intended just because your receiver won't matrix audio to the rear surrounds for 5.1 multichannel PCM signals.

If you don't know, that is precisely what you are doing by selecting the "down-mix" option. It mixes the full 5.1 soundtrack into two channels. It should only be used if you have the audio sent to your display, or maybe if your receiver doesn't handle PCM at more than two channels (many would rather use SPDIF and have the tracks re-encoded into DTS in this case).
post #14 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Are any TrueHD tracks 7.1? Im still using 5.1.

Ridiculous codec tier sig gone. Still AVC/24bit lossless fanboy.

Studio quality tier
Most Major studios>Small Studios>dogs>cats>Warner(the guys that do new movies)
post #15 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Wait, wait, wait. The spec sheet for the A2 and XA2 says Dolby TrueHD(5.1ch). You guys are talking about matrixed THD?

Studio quality tier
post #16 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrage View Post

Wait, wait, wait. The spec sheet for the A2 and XA2 says Dolby TrueHD(5.1ch). You guys are talking about matrixed THD?

The Toshibas do indeed decode TrueHD at 5.1, and they are indeed capable of outputting it as 5.1 PCM.

What the OP's doing is down-mixing the 5.1 TrueHD tracks into two channels, where he then matrixes the two channels through his receiver by applying PLIIx. He is much better served by sticking with full 5.1 and just forgetting the fact that his receiver cannot matrix two rear channels out of 5.1 PCM signals.
post #17 of 22 Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

The Toshibas do indeed decode TrueHD at 5.1, and they are indeed capable of outputting it as 5.1 PCM.

What the OP's doing is down-mixing the 5.1 TrueHD tracks into two channels, where he then matrixes the two channels through his receiver by applying PLIIx. He is much better served by sticking with full 5.1 and just forgetting the fact that his receiver cannot matrix two rear channels out of 5.1 PCM signals.

I was wondering why this post sounded so odd to me. Thanks.

Studio quality tier
post #18 of 22 Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 AM

what setting should i use if i simply play it thru the tv's two speakers?

thanx

mike
post #19 of 22 Old 04-16-2007, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjet View Post

what setting should i use if i simply play it thru the tv's two speakers?

thanx

mike

I hooked up red/white RCAs to and from, and just turned down the rec, turned up the TV. Worked fine.

post #20 of 22 Old 04-16-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

I hooked up red/white RCAs to and from, and just turned down the rec, turned up the TV. Worked fine.

thanx, but what audio setting do u have on the a2-hd for 2channel listening?....AUTO,PCM, BITSTREAM,ETC?
post #21 of 22 Old 04-16-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjet View Post

thanx, but what audio setting do u have on the a2-hd for 2channel listening?....AUTO,PCM, BITSTREAM,ETC?

Well my TV doesn't have HDMI, I had to run an HDMI>DVI cable, hence why I hooked up the RCA's

My audio settings are HDMI>Auto, SPDIF>Bitstream.

I don't use the TV sound when watching DVDs though. I usually don't even use the reciever when watching TV unless its a major sporting event.

post #22 of 22 Old 04-16-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Well my TV doesn't have HDMI, I had to run an HDMI>DVI cable, hence why I hooked up the RCA's

My audio settings are HDMI>Auto, SPDIF>Bitstream.

I don't use the TV sound when watching DVDs though. I usually don't even use the reciever when watching TV unless its a major sporting event.

ok thanx!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page