Fuh Yuan to make 2M HD-DVD players for Walmart; Wal-Mart denies rumor - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 11:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiotan View Post

Not if you know anything about how the two formats are manufactured. Here is an article I found after a quick search:

http://evergeek.thestar.com/features/2647.aspx

This is the relevent part:

Then I might be wrong.
Sigh, wish they have a English version of the annoucement

I read the link, found "藍光" and "TDK" in the article and jumped to conclusion
But I'll remain skeptical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by balthaser View Post

Then I might be wrong.
Sigh, wish they have a English version of the annoucement

I read the link, found "藍光" and "TDK" in the article and jumped to conclusion
But I'll remain skeptical

I think everyone shoud be a little skeptical until we hear something official from Walmart or the HD DVD group, but most of the evidence points to HD DVD.

PS - try reading the thread, we went over all this already
post #633 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Any bets on a time frame for an official announcement from someone else? Somehow I'm not expecting one for some time, but who knows. I wonder if Wal-Mart is annoyed at the premature specification, or if they're enjoying the free advertising.

Quote:

I think everyone shoud be a little skeptical until we hear something official from Walmart or the HD DVD group, but most of the evidence points to HD DVD.

PS - try reading the thread, we went over all this already

Hey, give the guy a break. It's 22 frickin' pages long after all.

---

Hmmm... It seems it's a browser issue. At AVS, I can paste Chinese characters in FireFox, but not in Safari.

藍光

鄧鴻吉也提到、藍光HD DVD機芯為高容量、高畫質、高解析的新視野,可以讓影像更為逼真、畫面更絢麗。其優勢是更容易與現行DVD光碟保持相容性,且 可繼續使用現有DVD光碟的生產設備,便於擴大光碟和物鏡的距離,不需要光碟卡匣等,大幅降低從現有DVD過渡至H D DVD所需的成本,使得碟片生產廠商由DVD轉換至HD DVD時所需的成本能夠降到最低。此外,HD DVD碟片記錄容量雖較小,但防刮、防污能力好,不需卡匣,因此生產製程較容易且成本較低。

Too bad too, cuz Safari has this nifty feature that allows you to switch back and forth between traditional and simplified:

邓鸿吉也提到、蓝光HD DVD机芯为高容量、高画质、高解析的新视野,可以让影像更为逼真、画面更绚丽。其优势是更容易与现行DVD光碟保持相容性,且 可继续使用现有DVD光碟的生产设备,便于扩大光碟和物镜的距离,不需要光碟卡匣等,大幅降低从现有DVD过渡至H D DVD所需的成本,使得碟片生产厂商由DVD转换至HD DVD时所需的成本能够降到最低。此外,HD DVD碟片记录容量虽较小,但防刮、防污能力好,不需卡匣,因此生产制程较容易且成本较低。

P.S. I'm impressed that they're using "HD DVD", and not "HD-DVD". The latter is not quite correct.

Deng Hungchi also mentioned that Blue HD-DVD for high-volume, high-quality images, high resolution vision, machine Images can be more realistic, more beautiful images. Its advantage is more easily with existing DVD discs maintain compatibility, and may continue to use existing DVD production equipment CDs and facilitate the expansion of the distance between lens and do not need, such as CD-ROM cartridges, substantially reduced from the current transition to HD DVD, the cost for the DVD, makes disc manufacturers switch from DVD to HD DVD when the costs can be reduced to a minimum. Moreover, the HD DVD recording capacity is smaller, but the eye, decontamination capability, and without cartridges, dish Therefore the production process easier and less costly.

It's also of note that the article specifically quotes Deng himself as saying this. This was brought up earlier by the original poster, but I think it bears repeating again. Deng is the General Manager of Fuh Yuan.
post #634 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

I personally don't buy any of this HD DVD vs. BD crap.

I think this is a coded message from the Chinese for Jack Bauer at CTU...

Coach Jim Tressel:
1 National Title
5 Big Ten Titles
7-1 vs. M*ch*g*n
83-19 (.814)
post #635 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

balthaser,

you should read the threads more carefully. TDK was recently sold to Imation, which happens to be a HD DVD supporter. So your TDK assumption may no longer be valid.
post #636 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 12:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam View Post

What is interesting:

1) Broadcom has clearly been working very hard to get an HD DVD low-cost solution out to manufacture, one that has also been reported to use Windows CE as it's operating system, in cooperation with Microsoft. Broadcom's hardware will also handle all the advanced features required by each format, including the decoding of dual video streams, since HD DVD's minimum player spec requires it for PiP and also decoding of the advanced audio codecs. So it looks like this may be the first "Windows CE"-based set of players on the market.

This is huge news, IMO, as I am extremely excited by the prospect of a gorgeous graphical-interface-based HD DVD player, with network ports that can possibly also play video and audio content over the network from your PC. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I think Microsoft's contribution to this new low-cost player should not be understated.

Contrast this with Sigma Design's decision, apparently, to work almost exclsuively with the Bluray camp and with limited HD DVD functionality supported in their implemtation, as apparently evidenced by their staunch bluray position on this forum.

Should this announcement be titled: "Great news for Sigma!"? Or does Sigma have a backup plan to get some mass market HD DVD players based on Sigma chips out on the market also?

Does anyone know whether the new Samsung UP500 universal player uses a Broadcom or Sigma chipset?

2) How does this announcment work with my hypothesis that HD DVD will OWN the low cost mass, market and provide great players at the High end, while the Bluray player market may be "decimated" by the Universal Players, which cost the same as Bluray players, and take the high-end, lower volume market.

It would seem to leave HD DVD in a position of sales dominance and encourage studios, if they had to pick only one format, with the obvious choice of HD DVD, no?

kjack from Sigma has HD/BD insider under his name.

betcha Sigma is working on a HD DVD solution also.

Plenty of room for both decoder solutions in the marketplace.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #637 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutelary View Post

China has walmarts. HVD uses the same lasers as hd-dvd (or was it EVD..either way, no difference in the content of this post). Walmart China will sell HDV (EVD?).

I doubt this has anything to do with hd-dvd or the US at all.

De Nile is a river in Egypt.

I now have two other well connected people confirming to me these are HD DVD meant for the US market, in time for this fall.

Industry insiders have known about this for several weeks now.

No doubt.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #638 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Read the two Chinese Character before HD DVD
it's 藍光, which means Blu-Ray in Chinese

HYDRA POWER UNITE!!

April 2007 joiner to stop the Blu-Bleeding.

post #639 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Well, cuz it's important to ensure other n00bs have complete info.

P.S. It's interesting to note that in this article, in several spots it's just "HD DVD" and not always "blue light HD DVD".

I don't speak chinese but it's so damn apparent that the article is talking about HDDVD.I mean the only words that are on english are trademarks like DVD,HDDVD,TDK.
post #640 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:

Since you're new here... Read the last paragraph.

I agree with you, it has HD DVD trademark all over it in English because they can't alter that, but try selling that to the closed minded.

HD DVD was mentioned 9 times.
post #641 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

What are you talking about? The blue-laser diodes have been available for under $30 since January.

TDK appears to be providing the laser head.

wnorris said: What are you talking about? The blue-laser diodes have been available for under $30 since January.

I found the source I had for the $200, in fact the correct quote is "20% to 30% of ... $600" which is $120 to $180

It is in mar07 issue of ieee spectrum (can't include link cos I am new to the forum)

But then I found a quote in FT that since January prices have fallen to $30, so probably the researcher quoted in IEEE was refering to last year's prices.

Industry observers said that Sharp's move, which smashes the blue LED duopoly of Sony and Nichia, would probably spark a price war in the technology. Prices have already dropped from Y8,000 ($68) a diode to about Y3,000 since January and could, say analysts, halve again by the end of 2007.

It is at the financial times. I can't include the link cos i am new but the article id is:
b0638092-8fc1-11db-9ba3-0000779e2340 dot
post #642 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 03:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Please find pics of this unit so I can see the guts.
I want to see how to looks on the inside compared to the Toshiba.
post #643 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post

If the whole world spoke English this wouldn't be a problem.

It'd help if you Americans could learn to speak English.

(joke)

Steve W
post #644 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon (Home Farm, Emmerdale, Yorks)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Any bets on a time frame for an official announcement from someone else? Somehow I'm not expecting one for some time, but who knows. I wonder if Wal-Mart is annoyed at the premature specification, or if they're enjoying the free advertising.

[color=Plum]Deng Hungchi also mentioned that Blue HD-DVD for high-volume, high-quality images, high resolution vision, machine Images can be more realistic, more beautiful images. Its advantage is more easily with existing DVD discs maintain compatibility, and may continue to use existing DVD production equipment CDs and facilitate the expansion of the distance between lens and do not need, such as CD-ROM cartridges, substantially reduced from the current transition to HD DVD, the cost for the DVD, makes disc manufacturers switch from DVD to HD DVD when the costs can be reduced to a minimum. Moreover, the HD DVD recording capacity is smaller, but the eye, decontamination capability, and without cartridges, dish Therefore the production process easier and less costly.

From what I've heard, Pootie Tang is working on the official release to come out soon.
post #645 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

History Repeats Itself:

Digital videodiscs and their players, which five years ago were not much more than toys of gadget-lust sufferers, have taken full wing as true pop-culture phenomenon; sales have surpassed for first time those of videocassettes, and indutry projects Americans will spend nearly $3 billion more on DVD's in 2002 than in 2001, increase of 50 percent; American retailers have shown first major signs of making permanent shift to DVD's from videocassettes, much as they did to CD's from vinyl albums decade; explosive growth attributed to entry of Chinese manufacturers into DVD player market in last two years, forcing Japanese to slash prices; DVD players are in only a third of American households, compared with saturation of more than 90 percent for videocassette players - New York Times, August 26, 2002

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstra...A10894DA404482

post #646 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:15 AM

TDK is a BDA member, not a HD DVD promotion member. I think 藍光 means "Blu-ray".

Player : Toshiba HD-A2
HD DVD : 23 titles (as of 9/23/07)
Blu-ray : None
post #647 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

I'm in!!

I love POS hardware.

Another low-post new member (i.e., troller).
post #648 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullerPanic View Post

TDK is a BDA member, not a HD DVD promotion member. I think 藍光 means "Blu-ray".

Please read the whole thread. This has already been covered multiple times.
post #649 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

O.K. I've made it through all 22 pages.

Wow, it's funny how some people just can't stand it when others are having a good time!

A couple of observations:

The $299 price speculation doesn't make sense in light of the dropping price history.
Walmart should easily be able to price these at $199 or less by year's end.

They could also offer an optional bundle- buy any $599 or higher HDTV and gets the HD-DVD player for $99.

With a demo up and running next to the TVs and a large offering of HD-DVD discs, the Christmas buyer will make these fly off the shelves.

Walmart may well sell out before Christmas.

If this is true, and it appears to be, how could anyone deny the profound effect this will have.
post #650 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wasn't it Sears (the biggest retailer then) and Sanyo(largest o.e.m. manufacturer at the time) that really tipped the scales in vhs's favour over beta? Is there a pattern here?
post #651 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to interupt you guys,,,,

BUT THIS NEWS IS WRONGLY TRANSLATED, again
THIS NEWS IS WRONGLY TRANSLATED

The news says Blu-Ray High Definition DVD players but not HD-DVD players

New member...low post numbers...guess who AGAIN?
post #652 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

OCT, 2005: In the high-stakes battle with Sony over whose format will power the next-generation of DVD players, Toshiba has adopted a potentially perilous strategy: encouraging low-cost Chinese competitors to crank out machines using its standard known as HD-DVD.

The tactic of courting Chinese makers has been largely taboo in Japan, where manufacturers like Sony and Panasonic have long tried to delay their technology from turning into cheap commodities. But Toshiba's decision could have significant ramifications in the race for the billions of dollars that will very likely flow from the next generation of DVD technology that promises sharper pictures, enhanced audio and more disc storage.

Sony and the Blu-ray group are licensing their technology more selectively. Analysts call this an effort to prevent low-cost manufacturers, including those from China, from quickly driving down the price of Blu-ray machines when they reach stores next year. Many manufacturers are also wary of licensing their technology to the Chinese because of their record of not paying licensing and royalty fees.

The contrasting strategies underscore the increasingly uncomfortable choices that Japanese electronics makers must make as China's manufacturing might grows, whether it be in DVDs, televisions, cameras or other products.

JAN. 7 | LAS VEGAS Chinese manufacturers, known for low-cost consumer products, will begin making and shipping HD DVD players for the U.S. market by the end of 2007, HD DVD promotional group execs announced at an event here Sunday evening. Chinese manufacturers Alco, Shinco and Lite-On will join Toshiba in making players, as will Japanese company Onkyo, execs announced. Microsoft may also make players, officials said, but didn't provide further details. Car system manufacturer Alpine is making a player for cars. The move is expected to add lower-priced players to the market, which could greatly expand household penetration for the format.

April 9, 2007 TOKYO, Japan (AP) Toshiba Corp. has filed a complaint with the U.S. International Trade Commission and sued 17 companies, alleging infringement of its DVD patents, the Japanese electronics maker said Monday. The commission is an independent federal agency that checks on unfair trade practices and copyright infringements.

Toshiba filed a complaint Friday to the commission against the 17 companies, mostly Hong Kong and Chinese manufacturers and importers.

Also Friday, Toshiba filed a lawsuit demanding monetary damages to the same companies in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Toshiba spokeswoman Yuko Sugahara declined to comment on the damage amount.

Toshiba licenses DVD patents, but the companies, including Daewoo Electronics America Inc. of the U.S., Dongguan GVG Digital Technology of China and Star Light Electronics Co. of Hong Kong, don't have such licensing agreements, Toshiba said. Imported DVD products are sold without proper permission, the company said.

"The infringement of Toshiba's patents by these companies has damaged Toshiba's DVD-related business, and also caused damage to the legitimate and licensed DVD product manufacturing and distribution and business as a whole," Tokyo-based Toshiba said in a statement.

APRIL 20 | Wal-Mart apparently has ordered 2 million HD DVD players from China to sell at a target price of $299, according to a report out of Taiwan.

The introduction of low-priced Chinese-manufactured DVD players in Wal-Mart and other outlets in the U.S. helped spur the growth of the DVD format in its early years. A translation of the story was uploaded on the AVS Forum.
____________________________________________________________ ____

These news reports have been around for years now. So how is this any surprise to the BD supporters who keep threadcrapping here? It's obviously the HD-DVD format, and you will most likely hear additional companies such as Alco, Shinco and Lite-On (mentioned at CES) announcing lower-priced players for other major retailers as well (Target, Sears, K-Mart?). This was publicly announced at CES in January, so why the denial? Did BD folks think this was all simply BS?
post #653 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black View Post

These news reports have been around for years now. So how is this any surprise to the BD supporters who keep threadcrapping here? It's obviously the HD-DVD format, and you will most likely hear additional companies such as Alco, Shinco and Lite-On (mentioned at CES) announcing lower-priced players for other major retailers as well (Target, Sears, K-Mart?). This was publicly announced at CES in January, so why the denial? Did BD folks think this was all simply BS?

It's not a surprise, they knew/feared it, it's just for some, in their rush to victory they simply convinced themselves this was all talk and would never materialize, or somehow Sony's "announcing" they won (that was a riot) would simply end the battle right there and then - like I mentioned a couple of months back, Blu Ray and its supporters could only control their own moves, so like it or not, steady/good software sales for several months still cannot dictate what your competitors plans are. HD DVD never planned on this being a sprint, sorry Sony, you can't claim it's over when you want (and it's still not btw), BUT FWIW, HD DVD's plan sure is coming together quite nicely IMO.

My Setup | Night

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: Brubaker, Star Trek Into Darkness, World War Z, Iron Man 3, Halloween 35th, This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah
post #654 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Black View Post

This was publicly announced at CES in January, so why the denial? Did BD folks think this was all simply BS?

Well, to be fair, if you're a BR fan, there were a lot of public announcements at CES that turned out to be BS.
post #655 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

.......BUT FWIW, HD DVD's plan sure is coming together quite nicely IMO.

Could be the HD DVD camp needs to get their equipment to work properly, and OH', BTW; how is it there are so many titles that won't play or glitch of late, for a growing number of folks, remember this was to be so easy and low cost to do etc, etc?

I remain very sad with these events and will continue to buy BD titles until these issues are resolved, YMMV.

It is "WOW" TV!
post #656 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenmh View Post

Well, to be fair, if you're a BR fan, there were a lot of public announcements at CES that turned out to be BS.

Well I am a fan of both formats...but this is certainly very good news for HD DVD. Anyway you spin this, HD DVD will be turning some major heads with BD exclusive
studios...Walmart's customer base is just to large to ignore...I predict if this is true Lionsgate will be the first to go neutral.

Joe V.
post #657 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I hope this means that discs in Canada will be much cheaper and more plentiful, come summer. ie. Is this deal going to only be a US one, or is it a deal for Wal-Mart in general? I suspect the latter.

I generally don't shop at Wal-Mart, but would be willing to do so for cheap movie discs.
post #658 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

We KNEW low cost Chinese players were coming from the announcements at CES. I don't know why some people are so surprised.

Yes we knew, but the reaction also has a lot to do with support from Walmart. That is one big fish to have on your side.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #659 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris062 View Post

I think that the Chinese speaking people are way off the mark, too. Since I am relatively fluent in English and arbitrarily decided that the Chinese characters being used in the articles are actually a secret code, my take on this is that China and Walmart have teamed up and are in the process of making a Blu Ray weapon with the name "HD DVD". I am surprised that noone else has figured this out yet.

Spread the word

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #660 of 2662 Old 04-21-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils View Post

It's not a surprise, they knew/feared it, it's just for some, in their rush to victory they simply convinced themselves this was all talk and would never materialize, or somehow Sony's "announcing" they won (that was a riot) would simply end the battle right there and then - like I mentioned a couple of months back, Blu Ray and its supporters could only control their own moves, so like it or not, steady/good software sales for several months still cannot dictate what your competitors plans are. HD DVD never planned on this being a sprint, sorry Sony, you can't claim it's over when you want (and it's still not btw), BUT FWIW, HD DVD's plan sure is coming together quite nicely IMO.

Sony was just like Bush with his 'Mission accomplished' statement, that made laugh so hard I pissed myself when he said that as well. Keep it up Sony, we all need a good laugh from time to time
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page