Fuh Yuan to make 2M HD-DVD players for Walmart; Wal-Mart denies rumor - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Wowsers.

Yep. 200x10000 machines = 2 million. (In Chinese, numbers are usually in tens of thousands, not thousands.)

As mentioned (and as some of us expected) the target list price is US$299.

Translation from the $299 url from Dictionary.com:

Lucky Yan attains the Wal-Mart big list

The lucky Yan electron yesterday (15) the sunset became located at the middle scientific and technical park's research and development transport business headquarters begins using, General Manager Deng Hongji announced that lucky Yan has received retail trade thumb Wal-Mart (Wal-Mart) to purchase 2,000,000 blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine order form, the aggregate amount amounts to 300,000,000 US dollars, before the end of next year, delivers the total.

Deng Hongji indicated that lucky Yan already and the mainland China Great Wall group cooperation blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine, will pick lucky Yan to meet the list, the Chinese Great Wall generation of labor production pattern. The Chinese Great Wall had decided that the investment luck Yan 5,000 ten thousand Yuan buy stock, the lucky Yan capital increases to 450,000,000 Yuan by 400,000,000 Yuan, and subscribes in July the public release, next year on second season stock cabinet.

Moreover, lucky Yan also with B& The Q special strength room serves under somebody's banner the subsidiary company U2 ID the cooperation, together will establish a new company, the production sale the e-Home family electric appliance control system which researches and develops by lucky Yan, swings the lamp which controls to control the system, predetermined in June in lucky Yan branch new factory production. Lucky Yan the earning 200,000,000 Yuan, did obeisance the Wal-Mart on a large scale under list purchase blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine approximately last year bestowing, next year the earning hope to increase.

Yesterday lucky Yan researched and developed transport business headquarters launching ceremony, by supervised Chair Qian Fu, branch administrative bureau Assistant Commissioner Chen Ming bright et al. to manage, produces official educational world near 200 people to arrive the congratulation. This transport business center invests 7,000 ten thousand Yuan, mainly tries the quantity as the lucky Yan's research and development transport business headquarters and the product to produce the base, this is also branch campus 29th finishes transport business manufacturer.

Lucky Yan establishes this year the full 16 years, initially was Eastern Han Dynasty funds the establishment before luck China Hotel group president the Liao, at present owns stocks approximately composes 2%. Lucky Yan researches and develops the production satellite automobile burglary protection system to build up, the nearly several annual product lines extend one after another to the fingerprint biotechnology, the zero family, the family security and so on products, most receives the market attention by the blue light HD-DVD cassette mechanism.

This section of lucky Yan and Japanese TDK the cooperation research and development's blue light HD-DVD cassette mechanism, flaunted that may let the phantom be more lifelike, the picture is more gorgeous. Deng Hongji said that at present this type's cassette mechanism, Phillips each selling price takes 599 US dollars, the new strength and Toshiba also take 499 US dollars, lucky Yan, so long as 299 US dollars, are the market competition tally company are.

Deng Hongji stressed that blue light HD-DVD and the present market DVD disc compatibility is very high, and does not need the disc card chest, reduces the manufacturer largely from the existing DVD transition the cost which needs to HD-DVD, the future market potential will be full.

And the caption under the picture of the guy holding the drive:

Lucky Yan General Manager Deng Hongji demonstrated that the blue light HD-DVD cassette mechanism, under retail trade thumb Wal-Mart purchases 2,000,000 blue light HD-DVD broadcast machine only, the aggregate amount reaches as high as 300,000,000 US dollars.
Reporter Song Jian lives/the photography

"We did not have business relations with that company, Fuh Yuan."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What ever happened to the Venture SHD7000 HD DVD player.???

Joe V.
post #93 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
So, with a $50 HD DVD-ROM drive, what's the total Wal-Mart wholesale cost for the player (including absolutely everything)? $100 like that other poster suggested? $150?

Either way, the $199 does seem like an achievable target. The comments by some about possible players at $99 retail just seem like wishful thinking though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

What ever happened to the Venture SHD7000 HD DVD player.???

Rumour had it coming out 2007 H2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

If you won't buy their movies as they are too expensive, how is Walmart planning on selling them to average Joe?

Good question, but I suspect they'll have to lower the pricing back down to where they were a few months ago (or lower). Mind you, they probably raised the Blu-ray and HD DVD prices because they could get away with it for now. You can be damn well sure that I wasn't the only person at Wal-Mart buying them. And come Xmas, the prices will drop.
post #94 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteroMAdMAn View Post

Sorry, someone should have told you Lexus is where its at, #1

You can't afford(or just don't allow yourself the budget) Bently, Lexus, just as the regular Wal-Mart shopper can't afford(doesn't allow themselves the budget) a $600 PS3 or $1k BD player.

Not saying you can't, JUST saying, for example. Cause I've seen your system some years ago. You could drive a REAL nice car if you wanted to

It's not that you just settled for less. You bought the best you could get for your budget and what you felt is important to you. The average Wal-Mart buyer isn't expecting or planning to buy a Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, etc. So I don't think they will care about whatever name it is they see.

From my personal experience, most don't care about name brand there. I've seen people fight over $24.99 no name brand DVD players many times. Don't know how many people I've seen buying APEX DVD players back when the likes of samsung, panasonic, and toshiba DVD players were going for $79 and APEX was like $39.99. As long as it can play DVD's and was cheaper, they went for it. I see the same thing happening with HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.
post #95 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I just don't see low player prices + the need for a plasma as a small investment for most folks...Particularly with a small catalog of films..... It's too early to clamour around 'low' player prices.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #96 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I know plenty of people that praised their Apex. Cause it played everything they downloaded and burned to DVD. Ugh, the pq was terrible but they loved it.

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #97 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:

If you won't buy their movies as they are too expensive, how is Walmart planning on selling them to average Joe?

I see prices dropping on the software as well, come Xmas. They will want to get these players moving and having cheaper software will help them do that.
post #98 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just don't see low player prices + the need for a plasma as a small investment for most folks...Particularly with a small catalog of films..... It's too early to clamour around 'low' player prices.

A very large minority of the J6P group already have HD TVs. When they buy a new optical disc player, it doesn't really hurt that much to spend $100 more to get one that plays HD DVDs as well as the traditional DVDs and CDs. It's the perfect Xmas gift for the family.
post #99 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

The link provided here does NOT say the player will be $299, FYI. This is a misinterpretation.

What it does say is that with the Phillips HD player (a BD player BTW) with a list price of $599, and Toshiba HD-DVD with a list price of $499, they estimate the price where they would have the market advantage to be $299.

So as MSRP's drop, the market advantage price point drops. The can also sell below the advantage point.

Also, I think people are also misinterpreting what is being said when the translator returns "machine core". This is not a bare drive. This is a complete player. Calling it a "machine core" is a flaw in the online translators. Toshiba's $499 device is also a "machine core". We all know that was the old price for the A2 (or the currenct MSRP for the A20).

Based on that, I think it means Wal-Mart is paying $50 for a complete, assembled player.

I would expect them to street here closer to $199 than $299.
post #100 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Denial city ....
post #101 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

The link provided here does NOT say the player will be $299, FYI. This is a misinterpretation.

What it does say is that with the Phillips HD player (a BD player BTW) with a list price of $599, and Toshiba HD-DVD with a list price of $499, they estimate the price where they would have the market advantage to be $299.

So as MSRP's drop, the market advantage price point drops. The can also sell below the advantage point.

Also, I think people are also misinterpreting what is being said when the translator returns "machine core". This is not a bare drive. This is a complete player. Calling it a "machine core" is a flaw in the online translators. Toshiba's $499 device is also a machine core.

Based on that, I think it means Wal-Mart is paying $50 for a complete, assembled player.

I would expect them to street here closer to $199 than $299.

$50 for a complete player? WHAT?!?
post #102 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

There are plenty of upper-middle/middle class people that do shop there. Just regular people who want to be thrifty. Yet, some how manage to not feel dirty after shopping there and continue to return(Personally, I hate it, I'll sooner pay more for Target!). That do buy their electronics from Wal-mart. It's not just the lowest common denominator.

Remember all the $5 wal-mart bin DVD special threads here. Allot of guys from here go their to buy stuff. It's about value.

Some people just care about price. Don't care who made what, what it does, if its bottom dollar, its for them. My Father for instance

It is better to ask for forgiveness, than it is to ask for permissision - the WAF factor
post #103 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

$50 for a complete player? WHAT?!?

The article that says a $299 advantage point calls the Toshiba player and Phillips player "machine cores" under a PC translation. The original article said Wal-Mart was buying 2 million HD-DVD "cores" for $100 million. That's $50 per "core" which is a mistranslation for a full blown player.

$50 for the whole shebang folks!
post #104 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Two years ago, I would agree with you.
But when in a few months when we get to November.... December... HDTVs will be an even hotter item on people's shopping lists than they were last year when the PS3 was launched. And it will not matter if they are 720p, 1080i or 1080p.

A lot of people will go thinking of all things HD.

And with those cheap players at Wallmart, the temptation will be too strong.

First, I do not believe those zillion players will be just for Walmart.
Second, there will be probably other players like Shinco available in other places.
Third, I do not believe Toshiba will not represent a great offer with their players too.

Lots of people will be having HDTV for the first time and many of them will not resist buying a HD DVD player just to see what it really looks like on their TVs.

Now... are you going to tell me that a $199 PS3 wouldn't make it a hotter item then it ever has been?

Of course it would.

And not having an HDTV did not stop them from buying one.
post #105 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I really think you underestimate how many people already have HD-ready displays already. Including me, every single uncle and aunt in my family have a HD capable TV. I have 18 uncles and aunts from both sides. Not all are rich by any means since immigrating here 30 yrs ago, but they all wanted a HDTV when they saw their brothers or sisters. Everyone of them has one now and some have 2-3 HDTV's in their house. Having come over and seeing my HD-DVD's, 4 now have jumped on HD-DVD bandwagon and took advantage of the CC and BB offers. Amazing how everyone wants to keep up with next. No doubt, my other uncles and aunts are going to want one as well when they become even more affordable.
post #106 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

This name remiinds me of buying tires for your car that advertise for $99 for a set of four tires. A fantastic deal too good to be true!!!! You read the ad, you go to the tire store and then you hear the name of the insanely cheap tires and, you know, you just ignore them as their name is unknown and their prices are too low to take seriously.....so you buy the Michelins for more(as you want some sort of known quantity.....)

You've actually been making some quasi-intelligent posts lately, but this one shows you're backsliding...

You can poohpooh Chinese manufacturers all you want, but your elitist mindset appears to have a selective memory. If you recall, it wasn't until "dirt cheap" Daewoo, Apex, and Cyberhome DVD players inundated Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Circuit City that the format REALLY took off and was wholeheartedly embraced by the lower-middle class. People could afford players as impulse buys.

While the level of the effect will not be as great with HD formats given the prerequisite possession of an HDTV, to arbitrarily dismiss Chinese players is disingenuous at best.

"But I want to do community service; I want to teach the handicapped how to yodel." - Hudson Hawk
post #107 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyharmonies View Post

People could afford players as impulse buys.

Exactly...

When the offer is too good... impulse takes over.

That's impulse.
post #108 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Most importantly here, has Wal-mart picked sides in this war or do they have something in store for blu-ray as well? If Wal-mart has picked a side, well....

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #109 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

I am very happy about this news because it means I can get my favorite movies in HD, specifically in HD-DVD, real soon.

Now the important thing is how to carry out the plan. Proper production planning and operation management would be the key. Given they are working with Wal-Mart, I have some confidence in this whole thing because Wal-Mart is very serious about fulfillment and replenishment. A bigger pie is waiting for them next year from Wal-Mart so it is hard to imagine Fuh Yuan would fail the opportunity.
post #110 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim View Post

Most importantly here, has Wal-mart picked sides in this war or do they have something in store for blu-ray as well? If Wal-mart has picked a side, well....

I think they did, if the whole thing is carried out (very likely). I guess we just need to sit back and watch.
post #111 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well, they wouldn't build the plant if they didn't plan to manufacture these drives/players.

post #112 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wei2008 View Post

I am very happy about this news because it means I can get my favorite movies in HD, specifically in HD-DVD, real soon.

Now the important thing is how to carry out the plan. Proper production planning and operation management would be the key. Given they are working with Wal-Mart, I have some confidence in this whole thing because Wal-Mart is very serious about fulfillment and replenishment. A bigger pie is waiting for them next year from Wal-Mart so it is hard to imagine Fuh Yuan would fail the opportunity.

Great Wall is a Chinese government owned company. Great Wall is a multi-billion dollar company.

Fuh Yuan is a that has been in business since 2003, and started with a capital of $300 million. It was funded by Tawain's Science-based Industrial Park, which is a multi-billion dollar enterprise. And would you be shocked to know that the Industrial Park is funded by ... the local and Chinese governments.

I don't think there will be a problem in executing or delivering ... or someone might really get executed.
post #113 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 PM

sony must of known this was coming that's why all of those sony had won news reports had came out hoping it would deter walmart or someone else of doing something like this
post #114 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

Great Wall is a Chinese government owned company. Great Wall is a multi-billion dollar company.

Fuh Yuan is a that has been in business since 2003, and started with a capital of $300 million. It was funded by Tawain's Science-based Industrial Park, which is a multi-billion dollar enterprise. And would you be shocked to know that the Industrial Park is funded by ... the local and Chinese governments.

I don't think there will be a problem in executing or delivering ... or someone might really get executed.

Execution is the key (exhibit A: Sony's last year's ongoing prediction about the initial release of PS3).
post #115 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:51 PM

I think it's funny to see the AVS forum all giddy about cheap, Chinese AV equipment. You have to admit that it's kind of funny...
post #116 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Advanced Member

Lets see here folks...

Wal-Mart Invests in a company to make

2,000,000 players...

Knowing their marketing people they will want at least the following items attached in each sale, see this is where real money is made. Here is a list of the stuff they can attach.

1-3 Movies (if wal mart want at least 3 they'll drop prices in the $19.95 range)
HDMI or Component Video Cable
Media rack to hold your new collection
Extended Warranty

This player is also a volatile attachment itself for HDTVs sold, i mean c'mon you could put the above ina shopping cart with 32-37in HDTV and marked $1500 and people will not hesitate to grab the cart and head to the checkout lines.

How do I know this? 8+ years of retail, I saw it with DVD too and PCs and Xbox's etc where there were like 10-15 shopping carts filled with items and load of attachments and people bought it all.. regardless

~Bobby
post #117 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 11:02 PM

i wonder how long it will be till you see a lot of used bluray players and movies for sale on ebay
post #118 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Wal-Mart also means Sams Club...I can picture it now Get a HDTV bundled with a HD DVD player for under $600.

Joe V.
post #119 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

How quick we forget that a no-name Chinese brand launched the $99 dollar DVD player market in the 90s, and changed the world.

I dont remember the brand name, but they are definitely in the history books of Electronics...
post #120 of 2662 Old 04-19-2007, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I also see a $300 million number in the articles. Perhaps the $100 million is for the first batch, but the total 2 million players would cost $300 million?

If so, that'd make the player $150, although that would still mean $199 would be a realistic selling price.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page