Fuh Yuan to make 2M HD-DVD players for Walmart; Wal-Mart denies rumor - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Who said Fuh Yuan will be the supplier? That's not even the issue.

My point is that many here are screaming victory for HD-DVD due to Walmart's press announcement. Walmart may choose to stay away from BluRay for the reasons you mention. I just think its more likely that they'll offer both and sell both until they see what is selling and what isn't.

I think my issue with this is that claiming victory by Walmart placing an order with Fuh Yuan is like BluRay claiming that the war is over and they won. Its all just BS.

Wal-Mart has already offered both to test the waters. That trial phase is over for Wal-Mart. BD and HD-DVD discs were placed in a limited number of stores for trial purposes. Wal-mart sold a Philips BD and RCA (Toshiba) HD-DVD player at a limited number of stores.

That was the trial, and it is over. Apparently they chose HD-DVD. If HD-DVD doesn't perform for them once it is placed in all stores, they may try Blu-ray. If it is working for them, why confuse their customers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I think the name 'Fuh Yuan' says it all.....Who would take them seriously with a name like that? Now, if their name was Pioneer or Panasonic and they were bringing 2 million players to market, then I'd take notice.

This name remiinds me of buying tires for your car that advertise for $99 for a set of four tires. A fantastic deal too good to be true!!!! You read the ad, you go to the tire store and then you hear the name of the insanely cheap tires and, you know, you just ignore them as their name is unknown and their prices are too low to take seriously.....so you buy the Michelins for more(as you want some sort of known quantity.....)

Just to let you know Taiyo Yuden is a funny name but they make the best CDR and DVR media, for tires, Sumutomo is a funny name, but they are one of the cheapes best made tires out there, and if youve never tried those tires, next time you need to buy four, mossy over to sears and try some HTRII's. I now like these tires better than Michelin piolot sports. Nothing is in a name but preconceived ideas.
post #183 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

True, but many many not sell until 2008.

Well, that's assuming the machine isn't a total piece of junk. While many later gen Chinese DVD players are quite reasonable, the first Chinese DVD players sucked.

It's "blue light" HD DVD, as in blue-laser, which HD DVD uses.

I don't think it matters if it is a piece of junk. Here is what I've seen from my experience:

Them: "I want a portable DVD player. Oh look, Wal-Mart has a Colby portable DVD player for $79."

Me: "Don't get it, it's probably junk. Buy the Panasonic for $129. It's the cheapest quality brand."

Them: "I can't afford that much. I'm getting the Colby."

Flash forward three months...

Them: "My Colby DVD player broke. Can you look at it for me and see if you can fix it."

Me: "It can't be fixed, Colby offers no repair parts and the drive and controller appear to be shot on this one. You should have got that Panasonic."

Them: " Oh well. I guess I'll have to buy another one."

Flash forward one week...

Them: "I bought another portable DVD. I was going to get the Panasonic for $99, but they had this Colby for $59, so I got it instead."

Me: "Oh brother..."

Similar situations have happened to me more times than I can count. Quality doesn't matter, only price. Back in the VHS days, I had an uncle who went through three of the Wal-Mart Orion players in a year. They were $25 a pop, and when one broke out of warranty, he would just go buy another Oriion, because it was the cheapest. I recommended a $39.99 RCA or $49.99 Sony model when he bought the first Orion.
post #184 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I'm sure anything is possible, but the BDA's strategy all along was NOT to fight a price war with HD-DVD! Sure, Sony's announcement of a $599 player for later this year was a bit earlier than most thought, but sub-$300 Chinese BD players?

That might be the game plan but in the US market that means you're out, a gone pecan.

Quote:

Similar situations have happened to me more times than I can count. Quality doesn't matter, only price. Back in the VHS days, I had an unlce who went through three of the Wal-Mart Orion players in a year. They were $25 a pop, and when one broke out of warranty, he would just go buy another of the same brand. I recommended a $39.99 RCA or $49.99 Sony model when he bought the first Orion.

And that sums up the average US consumer. Buy it cheap, toss it away & buy it cheap again.

It's just my opinion & it's worth exactly what you paid for it.
post #185 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDayFall75 View Post

Yeah, that's the best source, posted by a BR fan, who can barely type in English. Show me something from a REAL media outlet.

BR fan? Me? Cool...

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #186 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurus View Post

Now is it really HD DVD or Bluray what they will produce?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...r+Walmart.html

I don't see it being Blu-Ray since they cost more from jump street. I thought we already got the real translation?
post #187 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, that's the best source, posted by a BR fan, who can barely type in English. Show me something from a REAL media outlet.

Yeah, from the article:

Quote:

--- Sorry for the previous News but we were lost in the transaltion , We had to read Blu-Ray HD DVD... an in Chinese it is 藍光 = blue ray ---

"藍光" ("blue optics/light") refers to the blue laser diodes used in both HD DVD and Blu-ray, Daimaou.
post #188 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caurus View Post

Now is it really HD DVD or Bluray what they will produce?

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news...r+Walmart.html

A Chinese speaking person from Singapore has already commented that it says blue laser HD-DVD. The difference must be specified, as in China, there is also red laser HD.

Further, the article also states that the HD-DVD discs used by this player can be manufactured using existing DVD manufacturing equipment.

Blu-ray needs new equipment and cannot be manufactured on existing equipment, so the article would make no sense if it was Blu-ray.

Who ever runs the news on that site is having trouble comprehending what the article says.
post #189 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

post #190 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damed View Post

WIRED Article:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/0..._dvd_play.html

They aren't supposed to ship until 2008?
post #191 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I have a friend who works at Wal-Mart, he's a buyer, he told me about this a month or so ago. Atleast about Wal-Mart going with HD-DVD. I posted it somewhere on a BR thread, I wish I knew how to find the thread, to rub it in. They all said I was FOS and Wal-Mart would never go with a loser and whatnot. Looks like they're eating their words.

Here is your thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post10083179

Dennis
post #192 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorris View Post

A Chinese speaking person from Singapore has already commented that it says blue laser HD-DVD. The difference must be specified, as in China, there is also red laser HD.

Further, the article also states that the HD-DVD discs used by this player can be manufactured using existing DVD manufacturing equipment.

Blu-ray needs new equipment and cannot be manufactured on existing equipment, so the article would make no sense if it was Blu-ray.

Who ever runs the news on that site is having trouble comprehending what the article says.

Well, then this is awesome news!

BTW: Thanks-lah!

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #193 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

I never thought I would love Wal-Mart. Especially after they didn't sell me the Smokin' Aces for $20 like the other poster got.

I read Amirm making inferences to something like this about to come out.

Tons of releases coming to HD DVD in the next coming months with Jack-poo on BR ...
Wal-mart has now picked a winner ...

ALWAYS BET AGAINST SONY !

I'm thinking Ace Ventura now >>>

LLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSER!
post #194 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ View Post

am I the only one that bristles at the term "j6p"

Pretty much.
post #195 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Considering we are almost 5 months into 07 already, that's not terribly surprising. 2008 is only 7 months away.
post #196 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering we are almost 5 months into 07 already, that's not terribly surprising. 2008 is only 7 months away.

It's surprising because:

1) I don't recall seeing 2008 mentioned, except in that Wired article. However, I could simply just have missed it.

2) I would have guessed a $199 price target is a target for Xmas 2007, not some time in 2008.

Can anyone else confirm the 2008 date?
post #197 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Nobody with a shred of intelligence is going to order 2million cheap BR players from a chinese manufacturer when thr BR specs are not even finished/finalized.

If that happens by the end of this year it will take at least half a year more to sort out the bugs and issues popping up before a reference design will be ready for mass market production. BR+, Java in the various player designs. Java code on BR Discs is bound to give many issues.

HD DVD always had a better shot at being the first to get a reference design ready for mass market production.
post #198 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman View Post

FWIW, it's working with folks like Fuh Yuan that made Wal Mart achieve revenues that rival the GDP of all but a handful of countries, and working exclusively with Panny, Pio, Sony etc. that is driving folks like Tweeter to bankruptcy....Wal-mart is where Americans shop. For good or for bad.:...

Only J6packs shop there!

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #199 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, it seems the Chinese tend to use phases "藍光HD DVD" and "藍光Blu-ray" when reporting on them.
post #200 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

According to Engadget, the 2 million order is to be filled by the end of 2008. They may start shipping them this year (seems likely to me)
post #201 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

If you won't buy their movies as they are too expensive, how is Walmart planning on selling them to average Joe?

Today is not tomorrow. Costs come down.
post #202 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

When was the HD DVD reference design ready? IIRC they made some comment about it in January 2007.
post #203 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'd like to see confirmation on that, as I really can't believe Walmart is going to miss Black Friday and Christmas sales... Besides, by the end of the year, the A2s will already be at $299 street, so they're going to have to go lower than that.

This combined with every Costco having HD DVD D2s by the boat load in their stores doesn't really spell the end of HD DVD, does it ?

LIVE every wednesday 12pm-2pm PST on http://www.discovertrance.com
post #204 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Reality check time.

What makes you guys think that Walmart won't do the exact same thing for BluRay?

You think they give a happy hoot who wins the disc war? Of course not. They're going to sell both scaled to what people are buying. If in time, one goes away, they won't carry it.

Come on be serious, Walmart is not BB or CC they are not just stocking all CE branded HD gear, they are actually getting into the mix from a manufacturing stand point. Do you think a company is gonna shoot themselves in the foot by developing something else out that causes their consumer not to buy one over the other. They already sell the PS3 which is really the only BR player that will show up on sales maps. You don't help build a specific brand without backing it. Ridiculous!
post #205 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WIRED Article:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/0..._dvd_play.html

This BLOG (not an article) is wrong. Too many people are relying on a single machine translation to report on this.

Go back to the original OP. He posted two links.

My best interpretation of this link is www.ettoday.com/2007/04/16/320-2082635.htm :

Wal-mart ordered 2 million players for delivery this year. The deal is worth $100 million USD. This means $50 per player folks, not $150.

The article further goes on to state, that after the 2 million unit Wal-Mart order is produced, more units will be produced for other US customers in 2008. The Walmart deal, plus these additional orders, could total up to $10.1 billion Taiwan dollars. $10.1 billion Taiwan dollars equals $304 million USD. The $300 million dollar figure is not just for the Wal-Mart order in 2007, but for all US orders through 2008, including Wal-Mart. The $300 million is a projection though, but it basically means they anticipating selling 6 million HD-DVD standalones to the US by the end of 2008.

Now I wish these other blog/news outlets would do their research before reporting. And if any native Chinese readers can do a human translation of the article, I would like to hear if you come away with the same info.
post #206 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

On a similar note, the Toshiba A2 is already selling for $299 in the US at a few big box retailers. Toashiba plans that by the holiday season, the A2 will be available everywhere for $299 or less (without the free movie offers I've been told). Wal-Mart also already sells a Toshiba player for around $340.

So there is no way Wal-Mart is ordering 2 million Chinese players to sell in competition with Toshiba for the same $299 price. The Wal-Mart player will be considerably cheaper than the $299 A2. My guess is this player will hit Wal-Mart stores priced somewhere between $149-$199. Or basically around a $100 less than what the Toshiba sells for.

Also, to ship 2 million by the end of this year, you will probably start seeing these players on shelves this summer. The factory is open now and they've had their big official party. Wal-Mart's 2 million units are the first order to be filled. The factory isn't just going to sit there doing nothing for several months. They will start cranking out those players immediately. As soon as they have enough to fill some shipping contains, they will be on a boat to the US. The boat will take about 45 days to get through customs, across the pond, and delivered to Wal-Marts warehouses. The will probably manufacture for 30 days before they have enough to ship. Then maybe another few weeks going through Wal-Marts distribution network.

So my best estimate is that you should see these players on Wal-Mart shelves within 3 months, which is arround July/August. If you look back at historical DVD player sales data. There is usually a big upswing in hardware sales starting in June, so Wal-Mart has timed their arrival to meet with this buying frenzy.

So again, I think you will see a $199 Chinese HD-DVD player on Wal-Mart store shelves by July/August. I also think to correspond with this, you will see every Wal-Mart store getting a HD-DVD movie section around June/July (about a month before the players hit).
post #207 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Sweet. $199 HD DVD players possibly by the summer.

Maybe I won't have to buy one though, because by then Microsoft might actually have an update out for their Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on drive.

wnorris, do you work in the industry at all? And can I assume you are a Chinese speaker?
post #208 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Niche? Not for long!

My Setup | Night | Bedroom

Latest Blu-Rays Bought: This is The End, The Conjuring, The World's End, You're Next, Thor 2, Gravity, Noah, Cpt. America Winter Soldier, Godzilla, Big Bang Season 7, Texas Chainsaw 40th, Edge of Tomorrow, Kingpin, Snowpiercer
post #209 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 09:03 AM

OK, could another Chinese speaking person PLEASE verify, that we are actually talking about a blue laser HD-DVD player, and not a BLU-RAY player.???

Or even worse, a ordinary upscaling DVD player.

THX
post #210 of 2662 Old 04-20-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:

On a similar note, the Toshiba A2 is already selling for $299 in the US at a few big box retailers. Toashiba plans that by the holiday season, the A2 will be available everywhere for $299 or less (without the free movie offers I've been told). Wal-Mart also already sells a Toshiba player for around $340.

So there is no way Wal-Mart is ordering 2 million Chinese players to sell in competition with Toshiba for the same $299 price. The Wal-Mart player will be considerably cheaper than the $299 A2. My guess is this player will hit Wal-Mart stores priced somewhere between $149-$199. Or basically around a $100 less than what the Toshiba sells for.

Also, to ship 2 million by the end of this year, you will probably start seeing these players on shelves this summer. The factory is open now and they've had their big official party. Wal-Mart's 2 million units are the first order to be filled. The factory isn't just going to sit there doing nothing for several months. They will start cranking out those players immediately. As soon as they have enough to fill some shipping contains, they will be on a boat to the US. The boat will take about 45 days to get through customs, across the pond, and delivered to Wal-Marts warehouses. The will probably manufacture for 30 days before they have enough to ship. Then maybe another few weeks going through Wal-Marts distribution network.

So my best estimate is that you should see these players on Wal-Mart shelves within 3 months, which is arround July/August. If you look back at historical DVD player sales data. There is usually a big upswing in hardware sales starting in June, so Wal-Mart has timed their arrival to meet with this buying frenzy.

So again, I think you will see a $199 Chinese HD-DVD player on Wal-Mart store shelves by July/August. I also think to correspond with this, you will see every Wal-Mart store getting a HD-DVD movie section around June/July (about a month before the players hit).

I pretty much agree with it being ready in about 4 months. Plenty of time before the Christmas season. HD-DVD has been good about offering their support for start-ups. Look at what Joone of Digital Playground said concerning their support with Porn. I honestly don't see it taking that long to produce these HD-DVD players since it's very similar to traditional DVD players. This is all based on if they have the plant already up and ready. If they are breaking ground on a plant however, that's a diff story. But it looks like things are ready to go from what I can gather. One good thing the Chinese manufactors can do is to copy and mimic. If they have a rough blueprint, they can copy and manufacture anything and for a whole lot cheaper. They don't innovate, just imitate really well.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page