Toshiba: 1st gen FW 2.2 available- see first post for FW ISO - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstpaul View Post

OK so i got a membership to 1080x1920 and am downloading v2.0 to computer. do i need to put it on a disc to download into the player? and if so a burnable CD or DVD?

Use a CD. Once you have the file on your desktop, it may need to be unzipped (if I recall correctly). If you have Nero, just click on the file and it will open up Nero to image the file on your CD. Use a speed of 4 or 8 times... certainly no more than x 16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstpaul View Post

OK so i got a membership to 1080x1920 and am downloading v2.0 to computer. do i need to put it on a disc to download into the player? and if so a burnable CD or DVD?

Yes, you need to burn it to a CD. You'll need a CD/DVD burning software, like Nero (nero.com), get one with a free trial, since you obviously don't burn alot of discs. Then you put the disk in the player and close it. You'll need to have the player connect to a TV so you can see the display menu. The player will load the firmware, showing progress on the LED - 10%, 20% etc.

When complete, they player will shut down.
post #93 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
not unzipped. Choose "Burn Image (ISO)" on Nero, point it to that file, then burn it.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #94 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Yes, I poop discs. Want some?

post #95 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I downloaded 2.2 last night even though I said I wasn't going to. The boot up time seems a lot faster from 2.1. I timed it at 41 sec until drawer open. I haven't tested any discs yet.
post #96 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 05:03 PM

I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2 today. It took about 45 minutes. After the update was complete, it could not establish an HDMI connection with my projector (Sony Ruby)through my Monoprice HDMI switch. It used to work fine before. I switched to the component output so I could see the setup menu and initialized the machine. After resetting the parameters, it still would not establish an HDMI link. I did the usual things, pressing the V.OUTPUT button until "HDMI" is displayed, and set the resolution to the correct value. I kept getting an error message on the botton left corner of the display that said "! Frequency out of range". What's up with that? I'm tired of being a beta tester.

I just put my 2.0 update disk back in to go back...

Allen

Allen
post #97 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 05:18 PM

I've always waited for the disc to update but I have a copy of Smokin Aces that I can't play. Iwent on to download the update but it says the update available is 2.0....and endswith 2.0S. I hit update anyway , get the blue box that says "updating doe not turn of..." and the it shouts down. Normal looking shut down with the Goodbye in the LED & everything.

I have an HDA1 running vr2.0 and am trying to update from South Florida if that's relevant. Have they pulled 2.2 as well or am I not connecting.I make it through the licenseing/disclaimer pages. It just shuts off when it says it's updateing.I've never tried this via ethernet so I'm not sure when (or how to confirm) the player is actually connecting.

Any suggestions?
post #98 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 05:29 PM

Thanks Guys I really appreciate all your Help!

What do we have for entertainment? Cops kickin gypsies on the pavementÂ
post #99 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Updated from 2.1 to 2.2. Took about 55 minutes. After the update, I cleared Persistant Mem, Initialized, and hard booted. I had been using component ... so I had to disconnect that connection and, when I did, the unit came up in HDMI 720p. So far so good.

BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE! Now it won't output at any rez other than 720p. If I press Resolution when in Setup, it refreshes the screen but my IN76 says it's still 720p ... no matter what the rez symbol on the player says. If I press the Resolution button when in a movie, I get the message saying that the movie will start over at the new rez. But it won't. It's frozen.

So I can now use an HDMI > DVI link ... but only at 720p. Which I'm not going to do. I'll just leave it on Component.

It still works and produces a first rate image. But frankly, I'm not impressed with any of this. My Panasonic BD player is flawless. It's one FW update was a breeze and caused no problems. It only fixed some minor ones and added audio features.

I own more HD DVD's than BD ... but, as I said, this whole FW update post 2.0 has been quite Not-Ready-For-Primetime.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
post #100 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Just downloaded FW 2.2 via internet. I've upgraded via internet from 1.4 to 2.0 to 2.1 and now 2.2 with no problems whatsoever. Congrats to Toshiba for supporting a a first gen player.

Anectodal impressions: (i.e. take with a grain of salt)

1) Load times are better. The player is much more repsonsive.

2) PQ may be improved. Need to do some more testing on this.

Why I say this is based on opening credits only. Have not had the new firmware for very long. Typically, during the opening movie theater logo for Universal when it transitions to HD DVD I would see minor green Jpeg artifacts over HDMI on ALL titles. It's now all BLACK as it should be. If true, WOW, because I would hope that it carries through the rest of the movie.

I have only played with 10 minutes of video so DO NOT consider this a confirmation of improved qualities of any sort. I am very interested in what others have observed after spending more time with the update!!!!

BTW: HD A1 bought in Sept of 06. Samsung HLR 5078 with ISF calibration.
post #101 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHicks View Post

I upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2 today. It took about 45 minutes. After the update was complete, it could not establish an HDMI connection with my projector (Sony Ruby)through my Monoprice HDMI switch. It used to work fine before. I switched to the component output so I could see the setup menu and initialized the machine. After resetting the parameters, it still would not establish an HDMI link. I did the usual things, pressing the V.OUTPUT button until "HDMI" is displayed, and set the resolution to the correct value. I kept getting an error message on the botton left corner of the display that said "! Frequency out of range". What's up with that? I'm tired of being a beta tester.

I just put my 2.0 update disk back in to go back...

Allen

No problem at all using a Monoprice 5x1 HDMI switcher on this end to a plasma.
post #102 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 09:09 PM

Update took about 45 minutes, I had dhcp set to on but it couldn't find the server, luckily I had written down all #'s the last time set to off, manually entered all and updated that way. After the player shut off, I unplugged the power cord for 10min. I have never initialized or cleared persistent memory on any of the updates. I am using the component ouput so I can't answer the hdmi-dvi question but as to faster load times...

Didn't write down 2.0 settings, but following kami's results

mine:

Boot up time with no disc in drive
Timed from when I pushed the power button to when it displayed "No Disc" on my projector

2.2: - 27 seconds

Disc Load time - King Kong
This is after the player has booted up and is displaying a "no disc" screen. Timed from when the tray fully inserted until I saw the first frame of the universal logo

2.2: - 37 seconds
post #103 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Hmm, I'm having a problem updating from 2.1 to 2.2 over the internet. It gets to about 20 percent updated then gives me a 222 error and stops. I had to try a couple of times to get the earlier firmware upgrades to work but I never had to to it this many times. I may have to download a disc image, if they are available. Then again, I don't use DVI so I might be OK staying at 2.1. On the other hand a few seconds of load time quickness can't hurt either.
post #104 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 11:36 PM

after the 2.2 upgrade.....is the inability to output 1080i but rather 720p common?

my projector is 1280x768 and dvi; and the image looks much better when outputting 1080i from the A1

sunny
post #105 of 744 Old 04-28-2007, 11:39 PM
Advanced Member

I just upgraded to 2.2 also. Load times to splash screen are about 15 seconds faster than before and from player off to first frame of movie is now about 25-30 seconds faster than with 2.1. So there's a nice improvement with startup times for sure.

I did notice that the additional HDMI handshaking steps that were introduced in the 2.1 firmware are now AWOL, so that's undoubtedly helping the boot times.
post #106 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Upgraded to 2.2 from 2.0. I may have screwed it up by pressing the setupup button twice looking for the init screen after the download, but anyway, the player stuck on setup and now the HDMI seems to be fried. All I get is a green screen and no connection. I hooked up component and it does work. Am getting a 2.0 disc from Toshiba to go back and try the download again.

So here I am playing The Eagles FW1 Tour on component and it is absolutely perfect! I have always had stutters and skips before with this disc, but not over component. It was just as solid as playing any SD disc. But what a treat to roll thru an HD disc and not have one single blip the whole time.

I know a lot of you are running HDMI thru your receivers and it is a good way to go(in theory), but anyone out there like me -with no HDMI receiver and tired of sitting on pins and needles during the whole movie waiting for the next glitch, try running the video thru component and see if it isn't problem free. So you may lose about 2-3 % picture quality. Big Deal. If it plays all the time every time, isn't that what this is all about? I now believe that all the glitches associated with these first and second gen. HD players are HDMI related. As an early adopter, I would try most anything to get a fault free experience.

Lastly, to lighten things up with a bit of humor, I would really like to know if any Toshiba engineers ever read this forum. They come out with a new bit of software as a firmware upgrade(and who knows what it does) , change a few bits of code, and suddenly the whole machine is transformed into "perfect". Better sound, PQ, reliability, startup times, playablity, color depth, and tracking. My, my, the wonders of digital. Now don't kill me on this, but I know one thing--after installing 2.2, my genitals are absolutely bigger and completely bullit-proof. And all from changing just a couple of ones and zeros.
post #107 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ That last part makes sense only if one starts out with all zeros.
post #108 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I just upgraded from 2.0 to 2.2 via the internet without any problems on my HDMI->DVI connection. Start up time is faster but disk load time is unchanged. I measure start up time from pushing the "open" button on an off machine to the tray being fully opened. For the 2.0 firmware, start up time was consistently 49 secs and now it is down to 40 secs. Time from when I push the "close" button to when the dvd starts playing is unchanged at 27 secs.

I must say this is the best supported AV product I have ever owned. Toshiba has earned my loyalty. Go Toshiba!
post #109 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 AM

I recently updated to 2.2 as well (DVI user). At first I could not get HDMI and 1080i output...only 720p. However by cycling over to component output, then to 1080i, then back to HDMI, I was able to get it to work fine. Also all of the DVI issues seem to be worked out, at least with my setup.
post #110 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 08:18 AM

^^^^ I noticed the same thing as a HDMI>DVI user. I'd stop play and change resolution to 1080i and resume playback, the A1 would jump back to 720p. I thought that the new firmware was "autosensing" the native resolution of my projector. Only by cycling the output was I able to get HDMI out at 1080i. Weird.

Woot! My HDMI>DVI works, and, its never worked better. I have an Optoma HD7100 PJ. The A1 and HD7100 have always had known sync issues that usually take 1/2 a dozen attempts to play a movie. With 2.2, I only got one "HDMI ERROR 1" in 5 startups.

FINALLY, my A1 is almost functioning as it should have on initial purchase! About time. :P

Now, lets just get the colorspace issues fixed and all will be well.
post #111 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think you should initialize after upgrading the firmware, to give the unit a clean start witht eh 2.2

I also had a few hiccups at 1st, but now all is fine & the DVI issue is fixed. But it still has the Crused blacks etc
post #112 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Component still looks great. Tried DVI and nothing noticeable, so for now I will stick with what works, all the time

Jayray
Read the FAQs
post #113 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave224 View Post

Upgraded to 2.2 from 2.0. I may have screwed it up by pressing the setupup button twice looking for the init screen after the download, but anyway, the player stuck on setup and now the HDMI seems to be fried. All I get is a green screen and no connection. I hooked up component and it does work. Am getting a 2.0 disc from Toshiba to go back and try the download again.

Not to sound obvious, but did you try cycling through the video output options using 'VOut' button to see if this corrects the problem?
post #114 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
At this point with FW 2.2 and using only the HDMi output, does it pay to update from 2.1 to 2.2 or just leave things alone? My XA1 has been mostly problem free from the beginning and I was just curious what others would recomend.

Thanks,
Brandon
post #115 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Finally got it to update yesterday. The player is faster to start . fixed the HDMI to HDMI issue(with hdmi switcher) i had after 2.1 update.thank you toshiba.
post #116 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Updated tp 2.2 last night and everything seems fine on my XA1.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #117 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Not to sound obvious, but did you try cycling through the video output options using 'VOut' button to see if this corrects the problem?

Boy, do I feel stupid. You just fixed my player. Thanks a bunch.
Dave
post #118 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad_cincy View Post

This appears to have fixed the HDMI->DVI issues for my setup. A1 to a Lumagen HDP.

Mark me as a happy camper.

What colour space are you using (I assum 422) and do you have to go through a specific switch on ritual to get it top work?

Thanks,

Rob.
post #119 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Updated to 2.2. Don't see any improvement in loadup or startup times.

Still get stutters with Dolby TrueHD selection, such as on Superman Returns.

The interesting thing is that I left DVE in the player when I ran the update. It had completed update and shut off before I realized that, so I thought I probably bricked my player, but it is fine. Perhaps disk in drive during update is no longer an issue.
post #120 of 744 Old 04-29-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't even gotten the 2.1 disc yet, and now there's a 2.2?
J
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page