Xbox 360 HD-DVD add-on update thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apple's QuickTime HD H.264 1080p trailers play back beautifully on the 360 now.

For some reason I had to re-download the AAC playback update to make it work, but that took all of 10 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post

Awhile ago in another thread, benwaggoner posted a link to a 1080p encode that he did of "Elephant's Dream" with peak bitrates of 25 Mbps.

Link?

----

Confirmed:

Standard - 7.5 IRE
Intermediate - 3.75 IRE
Expanded - 0 IRE

The Intermediate setting is present because some TVs go wonky with their colour with Expanded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HEY! HEY!

Looks like the fixed the pink/ green screen flicker with the HDMI cable.

I heard they were rushing that out with this release. I just watched an HD DVD, and no pink flicker when I went back to the dashboard.

NOW! I love and hate the new achievement flash. I was always flipping to check my achievements when I got one, and now it flashes the detail on the top of the screen. Caused me to mess up my song during Guitar Hero 2. I bet it will wreak havoc in some other games. They need to give you an option to toggle achievement notification on or off.
post #93 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcnair View Post

you cant stream the newly supported codecs off a PC, they have to be physically connected to the 360 (Hard Drive, etc)... useless.

The update certainly makes the console look snazier, but compared to past updates doesnt do alot... I dont have a live messenger account, maybe I need to set one up.

You need the Zune software to stream H264. It's free:

http://www.zune.net/en-us/meetzune/software.htm

ÂMusic is the arithmetic of sounds as optics is the geometry of light. --Claude Debussy
post #94 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Link?

Context: link is to a post giving a torrent of benwaggoner's high-bitrate encode of "Elephant's Dream." Since it's a torrent, availability may vary, but at the moment, it's still active.

Torrent post (in the "VC1 and POSTERIZATION thread in HD Software media discussion): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10455557

(If you don't know, don't ask me; I don't know about this torrent stuff - try a web search. )

(Edit: I don't know if it's 1080p or 1080i, I don't have the tools at hand to check. But it looks excellent.)
post #95 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Ok so I had this idea that i could rip a HD DVD from the 360 add on to my pc's HD and play it on my 360, as my video card and processor on my pc are a hair inadequate for playback of HD DVD on it without stutter. Is this possible?
post #96 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstate View Post

Ok so I had this idea that i could rip a HD DVD from the 360 add on to my pc's HD and play it on my 360, as my video card and processor on my pc are a hair inadequate for playback of HD DVD on it without stutter. Is this possible?

in the current state of the xbox I would say no this is no possible, however connecting the addon to your pc and then ripping is another storey but, why would you want to do that

My HT setup updated april 27/09
Click Here
post #97 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apple's QuickTime HD H.264 1080p trailers play back beautifully on the 360 now.

I tried a couple of small H.264 files (360p and 480p), and they had some audio lag. Strange, cuz the Batman Begins 1080p trailer I tried seemed to have minimal lag.
post #98 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierYZ View Post

connecting the addon to your pc and then ripping is another storey but, why would you want to do that

Are you serious?

Why would anyone not want to rip movies to their HD?
post #99 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Are you serious?

you want to rip HDDVD to your harddrive and play back on your Xbox, I don't think thats possible

as far as ripping plan old SD movies, then thats another storey

Click Here
post #100 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you want to rip HDDVD to your PC harddrive and play back on your Xbox, I don't think thats possible

as far as ripping plan old SD movies, then thats another storey

You sure you're understanding what I'm asking? I see that people are streaming hd material from their pc's, I'm wondering why i can't stream a ripped hd dvd from my pc to my xbox.
post #101 of 484 Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Bean View Post

Context: link is to a post giving a torrent of benwaggoner's high-bitrate encode of "Elephant's Dream." Since it's a torrent, availability may vary, but at the moment, it's still active.

Torrent post (in the "VC1 and POSTERIZATION thread in HD Software media discussion): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10455557

Oops, seems that the torrent link is no longer active; benwaggoner seems to be adding new encodings, and a new torrent link may be forthcoming from him. We shall see.

Sorry.
post #102 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 AM

Quote:

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archi...yback-faq.aspx

5. What are the different ways to play video content on Xbox 360?

You can play video from a USB 2.0 FAT32 removable drive, optical media, and by streaming from the Zune software or Windows Media Player 11.

[/i]

Hi Bugs,

If you are using an iPod (4G 40GB in my case) as a hard drive do you know if it is possible to play from it as you would a memory stick? If so where should your WMVs be placed?
I have tried in the root of the drive but they are not seen?

Thanks

Graham
post #103 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried a couple of small H.264 files (360p and 480p), and they had some audio lag. Strange, cuz the Batman Begins 1080p trailer I tried seemed to have minimal lag.

Note that only 2-channel stereo AAC is supported. Clips with 5.1 AAC won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamlaws View Post

If you are using an iPod (4G 40GB in my case) as a hard drive do you know if it is possible to play from it as you would a memory stick? If so where should your WMVs be placed?
I have tried in the root of the drive but they are not seen?

I haven't tried that yet.
post #104 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You sure you're understanding what I'm asking? I see that people are streaming hd material from their pc's, I'm wondering why i can't stream a ripped hd dvd from my pc to my xbox.

I guess it just depends on what kind of access you are able to get through the Media Center menu. If you have basically full acess...then it would seem possible to have playback of video content...due to the higher bit rate of HD content I don't know how that would hold up coming from a USB 2.0 but it appears to be enough for the HD-DVD add-on so I guess that is possible. I would bet you would have to have Windows Medica Center or better in order to begin this process.
post #105 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

It depends on how much work you want to do, outside the HD DVD player, the 360 can't handle EVO files or DD+ audio. To do what you want, you'd have to convert the rip to WMV file with WMA Pro audio. If you do that, it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

I guess it just depends on what kind of access you are able to get through the Media Center menu. If you have basically full acess...then it would seem possible to have playback of video content...due to the higher bit rate of HD content I don't know how that would hold up coming from a USB 2.0 but it appears to be enough for the HD-DVD add-on so I guess that is possible.

Are you kidding? HD DVD is max of ~30Mbps (I can't remember the exact number), USB 2.0 is capable of 480Mbps.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #106 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 AM

it hasn't been asked in a little while now with this new thread so I'll go ahead...when is the HD-DVD update hitting?

::waits for the standard..."probably NEXT week" answer::

hd dvd and BD supporter.
post #107 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Character_Zero View Post

I have the Sony 50A10 and after calibrating with DVE and watching the Mad World video about 100 times I have wound up at Extended (VGA). I did the Black Level calibration and got it so the outer black bar was the same as the background. I guess the shadow detail is good but I really don't have the best eye for that. The colors did look much richer though.

I have this TV as well, and I can't get a full-screen picture via VGA. Is there a trick to doing this or are you just living with the smaller picture?

TIA.
post #108 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
you guys, this thread is for the add-on update and its slowly turning into a spring update playback thread. there is a dedicated thread in the xbox area. thanks.
post #109 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

But using Expanded probably means 0-255 levels of gradation, as opposed to 16-235 (36 less levels), so banding will potentially be less of an issue. YMMV.

Videos are encoded at video levels so banding would be an issue at 0-255, not 16-235. And video levels doesn't really give you fewer color gradations, since there is blacker than black and whiter than white data in those 36 levels.
post #110 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Are you serious?

Time and space, for me.

As we continue to wait for the update...
post #111 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 09:31 AM

Liked: 11
To keep on topic :

I did pop a couple of HD DVDs in the drive after the update and tweak. They had much better color and the black levels were better. So now the video is fixed, sound is hopefully coming soon.
post #112 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNight View Post

it hasn't been asked in a little while now with this new thread so I'll go ahead...when is the HD-DVD update hitting?

::waits for the standard..."probably NEXT week" answer::

I think the last we heard on this from Amir was that we should have it before the Matrix trilogy release on May 22nd. I propose that we all try to hold out tongues (I think we are all frustrated by now about this) until that date so that this thread does not get shut-down. If there is no update after May 22nd, then all bets are off, and I am sure we are going to have some very upset folks (myself included).
post #113 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

It depends on how much work you want to do, outside the HD DVD player, the 360 can't handle EVO files or DD+ audio. To do what you want, you'd have to convert the rip to WMV file with WMA Pro audio. If you do that, it should work.

Are you kidding? HD DVD is max of ~30Mbps (I can't remember the exact number), USB 2.0 is capable of 480Mbps.

Hmmmm, well I'd like to try this but my 360 totally bricked last night and I'll have to join the ranks of dissatisfied M$ customers who have to send it back to get fixed, yay.
post #114 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I think the last we heard on this from Amir was that we should have it before the Matrix trilogy release on May 22nd. I propose that we all try to hold out tongues (I think we are all frustrated by now about this) until that date so that this thread does not get shut-down. If there is no update after May 22nd, then all bets are off, and I am sure we are going to have some very upset folks (myself included).

i completely agree, i will wait until that day and then i may start looking into other HD content options.
post #115 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 10:13 AM

having not ripped a HDDVD, in order to be possible to play it back on the xbox from the computer, aren't you going to get into the whole encryption/decryption process. I know both sides have been cracked, but to my understanding currently its more trouble then its worth?

also having to turn the entire movie into a WMV file was also what I Was trying to get at before. something tells me Windows XP(assuming your running it) would crash during the process of streaming a 20-30 gig WMV file

Click Here
post #116 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

having not ripped a HDDVD, in order to be possible to play it back on the xbox from the computer, aren't you going to get into the whole encryption/decryption process. I know both sides have been cracked, but to my understanding currently its more trouble then its worth?

All you need is AnyDVD HD.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #117 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisherbert View Post

Videos are encoded at video levels so banding would be an issue at 0-255, not 16-235. And video levels doesn't really give you fewer color gradations, since there is blacker than black and whiter than white data in those 36 levels.

You are right, of course, about btb and wtw. The amount of information there is usually minimal and it's debatable about how crucial it is (better to have it than not, of course).

For games, I'm not sure it matters, but Expanded does expand 16-235 out to PC levels, or at least moves the black level from around "16" down to about 0 if it's only IRE. I was experimenting with some test pattern images, Avia, etc. last night, and my wife came in saying, "Ohh, you're fiddling with the TV settings again..." "But honey, there was an update!"
post #118 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

I did the update last night, it didn't lock up on the second try (thanks MS!), and played the same movie (Unleashed with Jet Li) I had watched the night previous to see if I could tell any significant difference over VGA. I haven't had a chance to get real carried away last night but I gotta say atleast for the video issues...they seem to be solved. I'll note that I haven't played a HD-DVD movie on it yet to see if there was any improvement in that area...to me King Kong looked worse over VGA than it did over Component but I may look again tonight to see if there is any striking change there too.

Now for the Thread Derailment:

Is there any kind of pre-order specials going around for the Matrix Trilogy? I might have to get down with that action. Don't know that I want to buy the same movies I already have on regular DVD but I got a feeling this is worth it.
post #119 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 11:00 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter844 View Post

Now for the Thread Derailment:

Is there any kind of pre-order specials going around for the Matrix Trilogy? I might have to get down with that action. Don't know that I want to buy the same movies I already have on regular DVD but I got a feeling this is worth it.

Amazon has a decent deal.
post #120 of 484 Old 05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

You are right, of course, about btb and wtw. The amount of information there is usually minimal and it's debatable about how crucial it is (better to have it than not, of course).

For games, I'm not sure it matters, but Expanded does expand 16-235 out to PC levels, or at least moves the black level from around "16" down to about 0 if it's only IRE. I was experimenting with some test pattern images, Avia, etc. last night, and my wife came in saying, "Ohh, you're fiddling with the TV settings again..." "But honey, there was an update!"

There's probably not much crucial information on the BTB and WTW area of the signal. Generally WTW has more useful data, and I know some people like to keep their white a little under 235, and say that things like clouds and stuff have more highlight detail that way.

Like videos, the games are presumably redered at video levels.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page