post #181 of 484 Old 05-12-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

You do realise the earliest you can hope for a fix will be the Autumn dashboard update now?! :P

You're probably right, but let's hope you're not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 02:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No patch yet?

*head desk*
post #183 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In the hopes of this update, I've been fighting to get the 360 wireless to see my Airport Base Station, but no dice. I'm getting full signal after entering the WEP passkey, but my gateway device never sees the 360... my PS3 connects fine...

I was planning on ghetto rigging a 50 ft ethernet cable out from my office like I did when i was using my XBL Gold trial... but now I'm thinking I'll hold off on this update. I'm disatisfied as it is... if my existing playback got fubar'ed, I'd frankenstein this add-on regardless of whether I found a cheap XA1 or not...

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #184 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 AM

It will be out this week.

MS has to be sure The matrix is patched up before release.

It is a HUGE selling title for the drive.
post #185 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

In the hopes of this update, I've been fighting to get the 360 wireless to see my Airport Base Station, but no dice. I'm getting full signal after entering the WEP passkey, but my gateway device never sees the 360... my PS3 connects fine...

I was planning on ghetto rigging a 50 ft ethernet cable out from my office like I did when i was using my XBL Gold trial... but now I'm thinking I'll hold off on this update. I'm disatisfied as it is... if my existing playback got fubar'ed, I'd frankenstein this add-on regardless of whether I found a cheap XA1 or not...

If you have the 802.11n Airport, it is a known issue with it and the 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post

T minus 3 days and counting... (I hope)
post #186 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 08:09 AM

Looks like the dynamic compression bugfix it is coming in the next week:

Quote:

Hellfire360 wrote:

sniper rmr wrote:
I feel better after that "we fixed it"... so to keep it simple,1. how much time do we have to wait to enjoy our HDDVD movies in sync?...2. is it going to be a download update? or do we have to take the player to a service center for hardware repairs?...3. This problem isn't going to happen to future releases, let's say two years from now?...4. how are we going to know when the solution is available? Thaks for the work you're doing to fix this problem (I'm a tv editor and this problem it really makes me mad)

1. less than a week
2. yes your player should update itself if you're signed into live and attempt to play an hddvd. if you don't have a live connection, you should be able to download and burn the update to a cdrom.
3. as far as we can tell, we've fixed the problem to the point our a/v sync is better than the current toshiba firmware. so if there are subsequent issues, they'll most likely be content authoring problems.
4. i'll post on these forums, but majornelson.com as well as xbox.com will probably call it out as well.

thanks for your patience!

Format neutral! (prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #187 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Good news. It looks like it's time to finally watch some of my movies...
post #188 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

You're very welcome.
No, I'm no pro. I just learned this on my own through reading AVS, calibrating my own TV (and my parents'), etc.

If you're using VGA, you probably won't notice a difference by moving to HDMI.

If you don't have the HD-DVD add-on, it's a good value since you already have a 360. A stand-alone HD-DVD player gives you more flexibility, but whether it is worth buying or not is up to you.

I already have the xbox 360 hd-dvd - my vga on my y65 still says pc and not pc 1080p.

Does anyone know what the firmware should be?

THX
post #189 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

the y65 and 732 if you look in the manual are not supposed to support 1080x1920 at 60hz, which is why some are having problems with it. only the 831s are supposed to support it completely.
post #190 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
well i will tell you what most of the hd titles i have seen I have had to turn up my reciever volume a little bit more, but when I threw in th Last Samuri, I had to crank the volume higher hen I have ever done, I am hopinh this fix really comes through.
post #191 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

Set the Xbox 360 VGA to 1920x1080 and Expanded.

For DirectTV, set it to 1080i. You can switch to 720p for ABC, ESPN, FOX and any channel that broadcasts in 720p rather than 1080i, if you notice the difference and don't mind switching resolutions.

For DVDs, what do you mean? Your DVD player? The XBox 360 as a DVD player?

cyberbri,
I wish my situation were as simple as what you describe above. I unfortunately own a Sony XBR2 70" which spit the 1920 x 180 setting back in my face yesterday. I just returned the Microsoft VGA cable and will go back to component until I can figure out another way to enjoy native 1080P with my HD DVD add on drive. Of course, that day may never come with my current hardware because the XBR2 doesn't display 1920 x 1080 correctly for some reason. I ended up with a six inch border or so (at a reduced resolution) which is unacceptable.

Can anyone suggest how to get the Xbox 360 HD DVD add on drive to properly display 1080P movies with a first generation Xbox 360 and a Sony 70" XBR2? The VGA cable did not work. Any thoughts on if the next update will help?
Thanks
post #192 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Last week's update fixed (certain) resolution issues, but apparently, just like yourself, people with Sony TVs are still having trouble with VGA.

If your Sony is showing it, but with a border, it's possible that that's how it handles PC/VGA - shrinking the image so there's no overscan. That's just a guess, as I have no idea how your TV or other Sonys handle VGA.

Have you thought about getting an Elite for the HDMI? I think you can get $250 trade-in for your current 360.
post #193 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 11:56 AM

cyberbri,
I suppose the Elite is a possible solution though perhaps a sub-optimal one in my mind. For slightly less money, I could buy a second generation stand-alone and sell the add-on drive and return the VGA cable. Unless an owner of an XBR 2 70" can weigh in on a solution which works with my current set of hardware, I will wait to see if the pending update fixes things. If not, I will have an interesting decision to make.
Thanks for your response.
post #194 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 03:36 PM

Not sure if this will help on your Sony or not with the VGA cable, but this is what I did with mine when I set up the connection.

I had problems with the picture when I set RGB-DTV on my Toshiba DLP, so I switched to RGB-PC and set my xbox to 1024*768. This is the max it would allow according to my Toshiba manual, as my set is only 720p. I then had a black border on the right of the screen and the top.

I then went in and adjusted the horizontal position, and vertial position, and then resized or "expanded" the vertical and horizontal to fill out the screen. These are menu options on the remote for this particular input on my set.

I have to say I am very happy with the vga connection over the component now and sd dvd playback is better than my panny s77, which i'm going to bring up in one of the other forums.

This worked for me, not sure how your Sony set works.
post #195 of 484 Old 05-13-2007, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

T minus 3 days and counting... (I hope)

T minus 2 days now and counting... (I hope)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazog View Post

Will it be? I think it's an important release, but it's possible it's not going to be as important as some of the new releases.

Either way, I'm holding off on my Matrix purchase for now. If all the significant HD DVD movie problems are corrected with the update, then I'm happier to buy new discs... like the Matrix Trilogy.
post #196 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Advanced Member

can you believe it? been waiting all this time and it'll probably arrive this week. and lo and behold, i get the three rings of death. my box was manufactured in august 2006 and already dead. welp, no xbox nor hd dvd for approx 2-3 weeks for me. you all must keep me posted about how well this fix works out for ya'll. good luck.
post #197 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britcanuck View Post

Not sure if this will help on your Sony or not with the VGA cable, but this is what I did with mine when I set up the connection.

I had problems with the picture when I set RGB-DTV on my Toshiba DLP, so I switched to RGB-PC and set my xbox to 1024*768. This is the max it would allow according to my Toshiba manual, as my set is only 720p. I then had a black border on the right of the screen and the top.

I then went in and adjusted the horizontal position, and vertial position, and then resized or "expanded" the vertical and horizontal to fill out the screen. These are menu options on the remote for this particular input on my set.

I have to say I am very happy with the vga connection over the component now and sd dvd playback is better than my panny s77, which i'm going to bring up in one of the other forums.

This worked for me, not sure how your Sony set works.

Keep the ideas coming guys. It is much appreciated.
post #198 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Sorry if this has been mentioned already on the thread, but didn't want to shift through 7 pages of the thread.

Basically, does the Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD work now on the 360 with Spring Update? I didn't want to buy the disc until it's been confirmed it works with 360 so please let me know, thanks!
post #199 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn View Post

Sorry if this has been mentioned already on the thread, but didn't want to shift through 7 pages of the thread.

Basically, does the Digital Video Essentials HD-DVD work now on the 360 with Spring Update? I didn't want to buy the disc until it's been confirmed it works with 360 so please let me know, thanks!

No. You need the HD DVD update, which we are all waiting for with baited breath this week.
post #200 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
FYI for those using VGA Cables....

post #201 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Microsoft confirms the HD DVD Update is ready for release.

Hey all, I work for Microsoft and for Amir. He and I are on the Home Theater Cruise so it's been tough for us to get to the forums. I read a ton, but I don't post often here since Amir does a fine job. I thought I would chime in on this disc since I was intimately involved in the creation and am an avid AVS reader and a enthusiast at heart.

As was noted in previous threads, we will have another update (besides the spring update) that is specific for HD DVD player for the 360 and will address the lock-ups and playback issues with DVE. This update was signed off internally (our process for releasing code) this week and should be arriving very soon.

The unfortunate issue here is that the disc was released well before our software updates were ready. This was a business decision by JKP. We have a good relationship with Joe Kane (he has been instrumental in VC-1 development) and we are committed to fixing the issues as soon as possible.

Once you get the second update (after you get the spring update) please post issues to the forum and we will work to help you here if you still have problems.

---

Sign off for a specific software release occurs after testing (for that specfic release). So that means it's ready to go out. One thing to note is it takes days sometimes for the software to get prepped for public consumption after signing so it's not always as quick as we like.

We also continue the development and testing on a daily basis as part of our development process so testing does continue even after the sign-off process is finished.

---

Chris Carper
Sr. Program Manager
Microsoft Corporation
ccarper@microsoft.com
HD DVD Insider
post #202 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 08:33 AM

Im still saying Wed.

For whatever reason, MS loves to release stuff on Wed. (XBLA games, dash updates, major downloadable content/demos/Halo 3 beta).

I guess it makes since, that way the hardcore can get it before the weekend rush so the servers arent slammed all at once. I imagine XBL servers are hit much harder on the weekend then during the week.

Im really excited for this.. get my audio working properly and get to fix this wonky contrast/black level thing going on with HD content verus SD content on my 360. I think the 360 DVD player isnt hitting absolute black for some reason.. because TV, games and HDDVD's all apear to have crushed blacks. Since Im calibrating with something that apears to be too bright its overduing black level on content that is "correct".
post #203 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

No. You need the HD DVD update, which we are all waiting for with baited breath this week.

Thanks for letting me know. I've been out of town, and was just going to pop by the video store after dowloading the Spring Update. Glad I waited as I hate having discs in my hand that don't play ("Chronos" on BD for example). Don't mind waiting a couple of days to make the purchase after I get the HD-DVD update.

Someone mentioned that it looks like it will be released this Wednesday. Isn't that the same day as the Halo 3 beta release? If so, I doubt I'm going to be touching DVE anytime soon! Or maybe I might just take a quick spin to make sure my FP is calibrated for Halo 3! I say the MS servers are gonna be working overtime this Wed!!!
post #204 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know. I've been out of town, and was just going to pop by the video store after dowloading the Spring Update. Glad I waited as I hate having discs in my hand that don't play ("Chronos" on BD for example). Don't mind waiting a couple of days to make the purchase after I get the HD-DVD update.

Someone mentioned that it looks like it will be released this Wednesday. Isn't that the same day as the Halo 3 beta release? If so, I doubt I'm going to be touching DVE anytime soon! Or maybe I might just take a quick spin to make sure my FP is calibrated for Halo 3! I say the MS servers are gonna be working overtime this Wed!!!

We've been told it will be available this week.

Im guessing it'll be Wed.
post #205 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With as long as they have made us wait, if the darn thing is ready, then they should release it NOW.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #206 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
last night i went and changed my video setting to EXPANDED (using vga @ 720p to my projector). i was shocked how much better it looked afterwards. i didn't think i was seeing a "washed out pic" like others had experienced over VGA but i guess i was (i had tried overcompensating with some relatively extreme contrast/brightness settings, now everything set on neutral on my projector on the VGA input looks FANTASTIC, no crazy white and black level adjustments needed anymore!!!).

i highly recommend anyone using a VGA connection to go switch to EXPANDED. The dynamic range of contrast is vastly improved on my setup after doing so.....easily looks as good as HDMI out of my ps3 now.....and a lot of hd-dvd's i used to think looked mediocre really look great now.

oleus
post #207 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:

off topic, but in case you haven't heard, check your PM's on bungie's website They sent out a download code to 10,000 "friends and family" that allows them to play the beta early.

Having played it for a couple of days now, my biggest complaint is that it only lasts 3 weeks. ;-)

Back on topic--when the update comes out, will it automatically prompt you to install (like the dashboard update) or do you have to put in an HD-DVD disc to get the prompt (like game updates)?
post #208 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw a BLACK/ELITE drive is up for sale too?
post #209 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

dont know if anyone noticed this or not, but the recent vga fix also fixed the 480p resolution as well. What I mean is the xbox was treating a the 480p signal as pc 0-255 just like the washed out vga. Even if you dont have vga, if you set the black level to expanded you will notice better picture on 480p dvds as well as upconverted xbox games even through component.
post #210 of 484 Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM

parasite, Im not sure that is correct.. the problem with the washed out VGA is that it wasnt treating it like a PC signal, it was treating it like a video signal and most TV's assume a PC signal is coming through VGA.

Ive noted some issues with standard def content on the 360 being too bright/washed out, but your suggestion would make the problem worse, not better.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page