Feedback for May 15th's Xbox 360 HD DVD Audio Update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

As I'm sure some of you are aware, Amir in the Insider's Forum officially announced the HD DVD audio update to be out tomorrow (May 15). I've decided to start a thread where everyone can post their feedback on the update, and well as post questions and answers.

Let's hope the update lives up to the 6 month wait. Please post your feedback here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not aware of this update. Could you maybe clarify what this update will do?

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #3 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

^ I think part of are DTS, "night mode" (not really sure what this was, and a few for disc compatibility-- just a few from what I've read. This is for the 360 add on correct?

I don't have a signature...
post #4 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM

I believe it will also fix the Digital Video Essentials HDDVD bug that freezes the unit when you try to access the video tests. I have been stung by it.

Andy

Around the survivors, a perimeter create! - Yoda
post #5 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Here's what the HD DVD audio update will include on May 15th:

- Fix DD being stuck in "Night Mode" which is essentially Dynamic Range Compression leading to the sound sounding very flat

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DTS 1.5Mbps (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed)

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DD 640Kbps, (which it currently does, but will be fixed from the Night Mode bug), list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs that I may have missed.

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as WMAPro 1.5Mbps, (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed) for those receivers that support WMA.

- Option to enable/disable Night Mode (with the default set to off)

- Fix a number of disc incompatibilities (including DVD Essentials) as well as a number of Lip Sync issues.

This update is SEPARATE from the Spring Dashboard Update that came out on May 7, 2007.

This was supposed to come out a long time ago, as the problem was identified back in November when the HD DVD drive was launched. I hope this clears the air as to what we're all waiting for.
post #6 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
It is Christmas in May for many HD DVD owners....

Too bad this did not actually come out in Christmas 2006
post #7 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

All good except the wma pro is also 1.5mbs. And according to the xbox insider is the VC-1 of the audio codecs.
post #8 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for changing the thread title. I was confused for a bit.

XA2 + PS3 = Priceless
post #9 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 02:34 PM

A date! Nice.

... but what are we going to bitch about now!
post #10 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisTz View Post

A date! Nice.

24p
post #11 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

^^Lossless audio !

I don't have a signature...
post #12 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I richhhhhhhhh biiiiiiiiitch!!!!!
post #13 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What are the implications of the DTS 1.5 output when the original program was Dolby? This would be transcoding, right?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: Uxi

post #14 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

What are the implications of the DTS 1.5 output when the original program was Dolby? This would be transcoding, right?

Yes, transcoding.

However, the original program may be a DD+ 1.5 Mbps track and some believe that re-encoding that to 1.5 Mbps DTS or 1.5 Mbps WMA Pro might be superior to re-encoding to 640 Kbps Dolby Digital.

FWIW, some of the Toshibas only offer 1.5 DTS output and no DD 640 Kbps at all. One wonders why Toshiba chose this, especially since not all receivers support DTS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #15 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Right. I'm wondering if there is the possibility, if not likelyhood of this causing degradation of AQ, though. Obviously I'll try it out if/when it's ready...

What receivers accept WMA Pro anyway?

Blu-ray bliss

post #16 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARASITE View Post

All good except the wma pro is also 1.5mbs. And according to the xbox insider is the VC-1 of the audio codecs.

Thanks, I edited my post to reflect this. Lets all hope this update was worth the wait!!!!
post #17 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just an FYI.....I've heard a lot of people asking about how this update's going to come. From why I heard, you'll be prompted to update when you insert an HD DVD into the HD DVD drive (just like when most of us inserted King Kong into the drive for the first time).

This means it WON'T be an automatic update as soon as we log into Live (like the Spring Dash update). Hope this clears the air for those who fire up their 360 tomorrow and don't see the update and say "WTF?? Where's the update??!"
post #18 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

i know it hasnt been tested yet but will forcing the audio to DTS be the best since its 1.5mbit vs the 640 DD?

And I assume there will be an option in the system settings to do all of this?
post #19 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwisTz View Post

A date! Nice.

HDMI w/ 5.1 PCM?
post #20 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

This is great news...finally I can watch some of my DD+ only HD-DVDs without them sounding like crap.

The NIN disck was particularly bad because it had DD crippled by DRC and the TrueHD track was bugged and playing with high pitch static/chirps.

Hopefully the NIN disk is one of the bugs that are fixed (must be that is a well known and noted problem)

Paul Taatjes
post #21 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:42 PM

I have a quick question about this update...

I currently have a Sony Theater in a Box 550 Watt 5.1 surround system. My 360 is hooked up via Optical.

Will my recieve be able to recieve the 1.5Mbs signal with tomorrows update using DTS (which is does decode) or will I still be stuck with 640kbs?

Will I notice an obvious improvment in sound with this update and my little $250 surround system?
post #22 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but what option are most of you going to opt for your HD DVD audio? The DTS option sounds the best for me since my receiver supports it. Are there other considerations to explore?
post #23 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

According to amirm the wma pro option is the best. His words was it was the VC-1 of the audio codecs. Problem is not too many recievers support this codec, however I have a Pioneer elite VSX59TXI which does whoooo hoooooo. I think all pioneer elite recievers support it. DTS would be my next choice if I didnt have wma pro.
post #24 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lowe View Post

HDMI w/ 5.1 PCM?

Eh, just wait until the next SKU/revision of the Elite comes out. From Amir's statements this will almost certainly requiring engineering and hardware rather than a software fix.

Blu-ray bliss

post #25 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post

I have a quick question about this update...

I currently have a Sony Theater in a Box 550 Watt 5.1 surround system. My 360 is hooked up via Optical.

Will my recieve be able to recieve the 1.5Mbs signal with tomorrows update using DTS (which is does decode) or will I still be stuck with 640kbs?

Will I notice an obvious improvment in sound with this update and my little $250 surround system?

You will hear a big improvement, but the reason is because right now DD on the 360 with HD DVD is broken.

ie. Even DD will sound much, much better after the update. Whether or not DTS is even better still is another question. On your system, probably not.

|
|
|
post #26 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

I'm personally going to use DTS in almost every case. I've heard what this conversion sounds like on a Toshiba player, and I'm very impressed!
post #27 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w View Post

I'm personally going to use DTS in almost every case. I've heard what this conversion sounds like on a Toshiba player, and I'm very impressed!

You can't compare on the DTS-capable Toshiba players, because they don't have DD to compare against IIRC.

|
|
|
post #28 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

You will hear a big improvement, but the reason is because right now DD on the 360 with HD DVD is broken.

ie. Even DD will sound much, much better after the update. Whether or not DTS is even better still is another question.

Exactly! When I watched the Planet Earth HD DVDs I was totally amazed by the great sound. And Planet Earth does not even have a spectacular sound, it is just plain DD - but this plays without the xbox bug - and compared to the usual buggy DD+ of the HD DVDs it sounds awesome. So the improvment with "real" movie sound will be huge - GARGANTUAN!

@Preditor74: Good news: you will be able to hear the difference. Bad news: the full dynamics might destroy your Sony HTiB. You better be careful when you crank it up!

(prefering HD DVD which is build on quality while blu-ray is build on marketing)
CETERUM CENSEO BLU-RAYEM ESSE DELENDAM!
post #29 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w View Post

Here's what the HD DVD audio update will include on May 15th:

- Fix DD being stuck in "Night Mode" which is essentially Dynamic Range Compression leading to the sound sounding very flat

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DTS 1.5Mbps (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed)

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as DD 640Kbps, (which it currently does, but will be fixed from the Night Mode bug), list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs that I may have missed.

- Option to output ALL HD DVD audio as WMAPro 1.5Mbps, (list includes DD+, TrueHD, DTS, and any other audio option offered on HD DVD discs I may have missed) for those receivers that support WMA.

- Option to enable/disable Night Mode (with the default set to off)

- Fix a number of disc incompatibilities (including DVD Essentials) as well as a number of Lip Sync issues.

This update is SEPARATE from the Spring Dashboard Update that came out on May 7, 2007.

This was supposed to come out a long time ago, as the problem was identified back in November when the HD DVD drive was launched. I hope this clears the air as to what we're all waiting for.

FYI, Relentless Enemies is apparently still NOT fixed with this update.
post #30 of 215 Old 05-14-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn View Post

FYI, Relentless Enemies is apparently still NOT fixed with this update.

Hmm, I had been looking forward to this. Have you heard something specific? I assumed that the R.E. problem was due to "Basic" mode, blah, blah encoding and should be fixed per

"- Fix a number of disc incompatibilities (including DVD Essentials) as well as a number of Lip Sync issues. "

Guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.....

"Evil is as evil does, and laws disarming guaranteed victims make evil people very, very happy. Shame on us." Ted Nugent
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page