Toshiba Promotion - $100 off all HD DVD players - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
mikek747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

All I know is that Value Electronics is selling the A2 right now for $299. We also have seen the A2 at Amazon from time to time for $280 and less. I have to think that both Amazon (or its partners) and VE are still making money on these, so while I agree that $199 players are a stretch with this promotion, I would like to think that we will still see some online retailers selling the A2 in the $250 range.

I guess we will find out very soon.

At some point in time we may see that, but not until Toshiba announces an actual price reduction on the unit. The rebate program, as announced, does not support that price.

Mike K.
mikek747 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,424
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Honestly I think we'll see something in that range for this sale. Robert did say that he was working on a deal and already is selling the A2 for Forum members at $299.
wormraper is online now  
post #183 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 10,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Glad to hear it.

While I'm not privy to the details of deals like this, I often see similar instant rebates applied identically to various retailers, despite the fact that the prior selling price is much lower than MSRP at some retailers but not others. It's not as if the manufacturers are creating this rebate system to be punitive. They are doing this to move product after all.

Thus, I am still hopeful we will see players at $249 - $279 from a couple of retailers.

And still for the rest of the public, $299 at Best Buy will still be a very attractive price, esp. with the 5 free HD DVDs.

All of this said, it doesn't actually concern me directly, since I'm quite satisfied with my 360 HD DVD drive after it was updated this week.



OK, thanks. So, we now know that the dealer price is below $277, but above $250.

and it is faster to load/transpor too
zoro is offline  
post #184 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crussader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,085
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

Honestly I think we'll see something in that range for this sale. Robert did say that he was working on a deal and already is selling the A2 for Forum members at $299.

My guess is the player for $299 with two free movies.

David
crussader is offline  
post #185 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UxiSXRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is why I precisely why I have remained with my add-on (and the hopes that the sound update would satisfy me - sadly it can't mute the 360 fans making all that racket, though).

If Robert applies this on his current A2 deal ($199 + 5 Free), I won't be able to resist. I'll still wistfully look at the XA1, too... In the 250 range I would give serious serious consideration.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

UxiSXRD is offline  
post #186 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by UxiSXRD View Post

This is why I precisely why I have remained with my add-on (and the hopes that the sound update would satisfy me - sadly it can't mute the 360 fans making all that racket, though).

If Robert applies this on his current A2 deal ($199 + 5 Free), I won't be able to resist. I'll still wistfully look at the XA1, too... In the 250 range I would give serious serious consideration.

XA1 doesn't really offer anything over the A1.

If prices drop as low as being speculated I will almost certainly sell my A1 for around $200 and get an XA2 for the faster load times and upconversion.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #187 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

All I know is that Value Electronics is selling the A2 right now for $299. We also have seen the A2 at Amazon from time to time for $280 and less. I have to think that both Amazon (or its partners) and VE are still making money on these, so while I agree that $199 players are a stretch with this promotion, I would like to think that we will still see some online retailers selling the A2 in the $250 range.

I guess we will find out very soon.


keep one thing in mind. Unlike the automotive industry, where all dealers by law must pay the same amount to the manufacturer for product, the CE industry can give discounts to large customers. So, although dealer price from Toshiba may be (let's say) $250, that doesn't mean every retailer pays $250. If Sam's Club orders xxx pieces of product, their price may reduce to $225, if they order yyy pieces, it goes down further to $$209. So, the fact that dealer cost may be over $250 is irrelevant if you are dealing with a retailer that moves a ton of product.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #188 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

XA1 doesn't really offer anything over the A1.

If prices drop as low as being speculated I will almost certainly sell my A1 for around $200 and get an XA2 for the faster load times and upconversion.

If prices drop as speculated, you may have a hard time getting $200 for an A1.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #189 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jwv651's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 5,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

At some point in time we may see that, but not until Toshiba announces an actual price reduction on the unit. The rebate program, as announced, does not support that price.

Mike K.

Hi Mike...who do you work for. Is it ABT in Glenview?

Joe V.
jwv651 is offline  
post #190 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikek747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwv651 View Post

Hi Mike...who do you work for. Is it ABT in Glenview?

No, I work for a regional distributor, not a retailer.

Mike
mikek747 is offline  
post #191 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,053
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

If prices drop as speculated, you may have a hard time getting $200 for an A1.

The eBay crowd tends to lag the rest of the online retail world by a good 60 days. I expect the A1 will still fetch $200 or close to it until the 3rd quarter of this year.
jmpage2 is offline  
post #192 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikek747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

keep one thing in mind. Unlike the automotive industry, where all dealers by law must pay the same amount to the manufacturer for product, the CE industry can give discounts to large customers. So, although dealer price from Toshiba may be (let's say) $250, that doesn't mean every retailer pays $250. If Sam's Club orders xxx pieces of product, their price may reduce to $225, if they order yyy pieces, it goes down further to $$209. So, the fact that dealer cost may be over $250 is irrelevant if you are dealing with a retailer that moves a ton of product.

Boy, you've got this all figured out don't you. I guess after 24 years in this industry, I don't have a clue to what this is all about. Thanks for straightening me out.



Mike
mikek747 is offline  
post #193 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
Silverfox1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Texas
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

keep one thing in mind. Unlike the automotive industry, where all dealers by law must pay the same amount to the manufacturer for product, the CE industry can give discounts to large customers. So, although dealer price from Toshiba may be (let's say) $250, that doesn't mean every retailer pays $250. If Sam's Club orders xxx pieces of product, their price may reduce to $225, if they order yyy pieces, it goes down further to $$209. So, the fact that dealer cost may be over $250 is irrelevant if you are dealing with a retailer that moves a ton of product.

I can actually tell you to the contrary on your above statement in regards to ALL dealers in the automotive industry pay the same to the manufacturers. My daughter is married to a GM dealership owner. High Volume car & truck dealers definitely get a discount from GM and several years back a Minority Owner dealer was given the same discount incentive by GM regardless of whether the minority owner was a high volume dealer or not !

Regards,
Silverfox1 is offline  
post #194 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BuGsArEtAsTy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: AVS Forum
Posts: 7,128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

Nope still way off, but I am not going to continue chasing this with you.

Well, if $277 is still too low for dealer pricing, then it's clear the dealer pricing your distributor offers is different than what other retailers are getting.

The A2s have been on sale for around $277 quite a few times now. Unless you are claiming they are losing money on each sold, or are charging exorbitant amounts for shipping, then it's obvious they're paying less than $277 for each unit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

Boy, you've got this all figured out don't you. I guess after 24 years in this industry, I don't have a clue to what this is all about. Thanks for straightening me out.

Take it easy my friend. You're taking this too seriously.
BuGsArEtAsTy is offline  
post #195 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
There seems to be some confusion as to what this promotion will really mean to the online retailers like Amazon and VE. I think we just need to wait a few days to see what the prices will be before we all jump to conclusions.

Hopefully Robert from VE will have an update for us soon as to what his price will be. He is usually one of the most competitive HD DVD retailers out there.
ack_bk is offline  
post #196 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tqlla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So If I am reading correctly,

1) toshiba and the Reseller Split the cost of the $100 rebate
2) Dealers currently selling at $300 or below, are at cost or very close to it.
3) If they are selling at cost($280) and they have to pay half of this $100 off promo, then they can only cut the price by $50.
4) So the minimum price this could be would be $230

5) but according to Mike747, dealers must sell at MAP($399) to be eligible for this promo?

Well, thats pretty lame. It will help B&M sales... but online dealers have already been selling at $300. So no real discount for the end user, who buys online.

Ah well. I was considering dual format, at $220 with 5 free movies.
tqlla is offline  
post #197 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla View Post

So If I am reading correctly,

1) toshiba and the Reseller Split the cost of the $100 rebate
2) Dealers currently selling at $300 or below, are at cost or very close to it.
3) If they are selling at cost($280) and they have to pay half of this $100 off promo, then they can only cut the price by $50.
4) So the minimum price this could be would be $230

5) but according to Mike747, dealers must sell at MAP($399) to be eligible for this promo?

Well, thats pretty lame. It will help B&M sales... but online dealers have already been selling at $300. So no real discount for the end user, who buys online.

Ah well. I was considering dual format, at $220 with 5 free movies.

Agreed. At $220-240 with 5 free movies it is a done deal for me. At $280-299 I will simply wait for prices to fall (and they will). With only one exclusive studio Toshiba has to beat Blu-Ray at player prices. Not to mention many folks seem to think that cheaper Chinese players are coming some time this year. That alone will force prices to fall across the board.
ack_bk is offline  
post #198 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikek747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post

Well, if $277 is still too low for dealer pricing, then it's clear the dealer pricing your distributor offers is different than what other retailers are getting.

The A2s have been on sale for around $277 quite a few times now. Unless you are claiming they are losing money on each sold, or are charging exorbitant amounts for shipping, then it's obvious they're paying less than $277 for each unit.



Take it easy my friend. You're taking this too seriously.

I watch these forums pretty carefuly, and don't recall seeing $277.00 as a selling price. The only way that could happen would be with support with someone like Visa subsidizing the price to get new card business. I have seen it around $300.00 which should be the bottom.

Mike
mikek747 is offline  
post #199 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
UxiSXRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,670
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

XA1 doesn't really offer anything over the A1.

It looks nicer, even if it's a massive beast, and would go with all my siilver HT gear.

And then there's the Frankenstein potential... The A1 is uglier, though admittedly performs the same as the XA1. The A2 would easily beat both in that regard, though, as I have an HDMI AVR to take advantage of the sound in either case.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

UxiSXRD is offline  
post #200 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

I watch these forums pretty carefuly, and don't recall seeing $277.00 as a selling price. The only way that could happen would be with support with someone like Visa subsidizing the price to get new card business. I have seen it around $300.00 which should be the bottom.

Mike

Here you go:
http://www.electronics-expo.com/make.../HD-A2/42.html

This is an Amazon partner selling the A2 for $277. I think they charge $19 for shipping
ack_bk is offline  
post #201 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wormraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Posts: 4,424
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Check Amazon. They've had it in the 280's for a while now. Dips down that low then can go as high as $320, Depends on the day...

Seriously, if Amazon or VE can't get it to $250 It's not even worth it. I could go to the B and M stores and get the matrix with 2 instant free HD DVD's and come out near the same price if it's only $299

It would be a pretty pathetic promotion if all these stipulations are crammed down for online vendors who are already selling at $100 below MSRP..
wormraper is online now  
post #202 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

Boy, you've got this all figured out don't you. I guess after 24 years in this industry, I don't have a clue to what this is all about. Thanks for straightening me out.



Mike

No disrespect meant- I am sure you know what you are talking about. However, I also spent a number of years with a B-I-G retailer and published cost, MAP, and MSRP meant nothing to them. If the numbers of product were there, they effectively negotiated their own price- directly with the manufacturer.

Robert may have to go through a distributor, but someone like Amazon may not. Just pointing this out.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #203 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post

The eBay crowd tends to lag the rest of the online retail world by a good 60 days. I expect the A1 will still fetch $200 or close to it until the 3rd quarter of this year.


Point taken.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #204 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

No disrespect meant- I am sure you know what you are talking about. However, I also spent a number of years with a B-I-G retailer and published cost, MAP, and MSRP meant nothing to them. If the numbers of product were there, they effectively negotiated their own price- directly with the manufacturer.

Robert may have to go through a distributor, but someone like Amazon may not. Just pointing this out.

Mike, here's a valid question for you. If your cost figures are correct (and I have no reason to doubt they are), how can a decidedly lower volume seller like Electronics Expo sell a unit BEFORE the "sale" at $277?

by the way, they do have $19 shipping, but that doesn't seem high.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #205 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
larrimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

Check Amazon. They've had it in the 280's for a while now. Dips down that low then can go as high as $320, Depends on the day...

Seriously, if Amazon or VE can't get it to $250 It's not even worth it. I could go to the B and M stores and get the matrix with 2 instant free HD DVD's and come out near the same price if it's only $299

It would be a pretty pathetic promotion if all these stipulations are crammed down for online vendors who are already selling at $100 below MSRP..

I'll go out on a prediction limb here and say that I believe we will all be pleasantly surprised by Sunday. Even if it isn't much cheaper, I'll bet there are some "deals" to be had!

For Example, would you pay $279 if you got 4 movies of your choice free? I would.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
larrimore is offline  
post #206 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MichaelHDDVD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Even at he current price of $277 that is only ~$100 more than many upconverters, except @ $277 there is a HD DVD player as well
MichaelHDDVD is offline  
post #207 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
acegamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 743
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, the good thing is that we will all know how prices will shake out in a couple of days. I personally will be surprised if the A2 can't be found for $250 though.
acegamer is offline  
post #208 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
mikek747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 803
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I stand corrected on the A2 pricing. The $277.88 price is below our purchase price as a distributor. I can't imagine what they must be paying for it, though I am in the process of finding out.

I love Toshiba, but I don't think it's right for them to hang us out to dry on pricing. Our wholesale pricing is higher than their retail pricing.

Interestingly, though, I clicked on the HD-XA2 and it showed a price of $799.00. OK, I give up. I can't figure this out, either.

Mike
mikek747 is offline  
post #209 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek747 View Post

I stand corrected on the A2 pricing. The $277.88 price is below our purchase price as a distributor. I can't imagine what they must be paying for it, though I am in the process of finding out.

I love Toshiba, but I don't think it's right for them to hang us out to dry on pricing. Our wholesale pricing is higher than their retail pricing.

Interestingly, though, I clicked on the HD-XA2 and it showed a price of $799.00. OK, I give up. I can't figure this out, either.

Mike

Mike, no worries. I think we all appreciate your insight and experience.
ack_bk is offline  
post #210 of 1009 Old 05-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Member
 
krabby5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin View Post

I bet the HD players won't be available at wonderful prices during the $100 off promotion. Amazon will probably sell XA2's above $600, at least.

why do you say that? The $100 rebate is given to the dealer lfrom Toshiba. They're not losing any money
krabby5 is offline  
Reply HD DVD Players

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off