HDMI Cables: Ferrite Core? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this, but I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here. I am looking to get a couple of HDMI cables from Monoprice.

I was about to buy the 24 AWG cables a couple days ago, but now I notice they have 28 AWG cables with ferrite cores. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 28 AWG is a thinner than 24 AWG correct?

At the same time, I thought I heard somewhere that ferrite cores offer improvement over cables that don't have them. Is that true? Which cable should I get. They are both gold plated with net jackets. Just different thicknesses and one has a ferrite core, and one doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioGambino View Post

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this, but I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people here. I am looking to get a couple of HDMI cables from Monoprice.

I was about to buy the 24 AWG cables a couple days ago, but now I notice they have 28 AWG cables with ferrite cores. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 28 AWG is a thinner than 24 AWG correct?

At the same time, I thought I heard somewhere that ferrite cores offer improvement over cables that don't have them. Is that true? Which cable should I get. They are both gold plated with net jackets. Just different thicknesses and one has a ferrite core, and one doesn't.

either one will do you fine unless you are doing in wall installations or really long runs. If you are doing 25 feet or less the 28awg will do just fine, hell it will do awesome. I have both and have A/B'd them at 10 feet length, zip nada, zero difference. either the signal gets there or it doesn't.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

either one will do you fine unless you are doing in wall installations or really long runs. If you are doing 25 feet or less the 28awg will do just fine, hell it will do awesome. I have both and have A/B'd them at 10 feet length, zip nada, zero difference. either the signal gets there or it doesn't.

So I will be fine with the 28 AWG with ferrite core? How come they are half the price of the 24 AWG cable with no ferrite core? Thanx.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:

So I will be fine with the 28 AWG with ferrite core? How come they are half the price of the 24 AWG cable with no ferrite core? Thanx.

As wormraper said, if you're just getting a typical length cable (e.g. 6-ft ) than those Monoprice 28 AWG work great.

You were correct on both counts...

- 28 AWG is smaller / thinner than the 24 AWG. Increasing gauge numbers give decreasing wire diameters.

- Ferrite beads are good, they are a way to reduce high-frequency noise in a cable. It's not the only way to reduce noise though. The 24 AWG cables, for example, *might* have better internal shielding that works as well or better than the ferrites.

I can't say for sure why the 28 AWG is half the price. My guesses...

- They're probably cheaper to manufacture (small gauge / less material).

- They *might* not be quite as good as the 24 AWG for signal transmission. (But again for normal length runs, it doesn't matter.)

- They probably make more of them & there's probably a bigger market for them - economy of scale.

- The 24 AWG are probably priced with a premium just because they can be. "High-end-o-philes" who need (or just want) them probably don't mind paying the premium.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

As wormraper said, both will be fine for a standard/short length so get the 28 AWG with ferrite. You can get the 24 AWG if spending the extra money makes you feel better...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, thank you guys, that was really helpful. I just noticed that the 28 AWG with ferrite core doesn't have the net shielding on it like the 24 AWG does. I'm not sure that even matters, but I'm assuming the higher thickness of the cable and that net jacket is what is making the price higher for the 24 AWG. Also the 24 AWG says that it's CL2 certified and the 28 AWG isn't. Not sure what that means either. Any info on that? Thanx again.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I had the Monoprice AWG 28 DVI cables, 30 feet long to my front projector. They worked fine when being driven by the Oppo 971. When I switched to the HD-A2, I was getting sparkles in dark scenes. Component worked great, but can't up-convert, so had to get the HDMI working. I switched to AWG 24 cables, and shortened the run to 27 feet. Now the sparkles are gone. The ferrite cores are common-mode chokes. HDMI is a differential signaling system, and noise between equipment is usually common-mode, so the C-M chokes filter the interference without slowing down the digital risetime. Actually, I think the Monoprice 24 gauge cables are pretty cheap, and recommend them, unless you are just using a 6 foot cable. Then it doesn't matter.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

CL2 certification means it's approved for in-wall installation. Kinda pointless on a 6' cable, but very important on ones longer than 20'. The reason the short ones are CL2 despite being unnecessary is they use the same physical cabling for all the lengths, and that cable is CL2-rated.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmollin View Post

I had the Monoprice AWG 28 DVI cables, 30 feet long to my front projector. They worked fine when being driven by the Oppo 971. When I switched to the HD-A2, I was getting sparkles in dark scenes. Component worked great, but can't up-convert, so had to get the HDMI working. I switched to AWG 24 cables, and shortened the run to 27 feet. Now the sparkles are gone. The ferrite cores are common-mode chokes. HDMI is a differential signaling system, and noise between equipment is usually common-mode, so the C-M chokes filter the interference without slowing down the digital risetime. Actually, I think the Monoprice 24 gauge cables are pretty cheap, and recommend them, unless you are just using a 6 foot cable. Then it doesn't matter.

Thank you very much for the info. I am doing 6 foot cables, should I still get the 24 AWG's? Thanx.
post #10 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have used the monoprice and firefold 28 AWG's >>> They only offer 6' length in 28 AWG.

I had better success with the meritline 26 AWG 6' HDMI for $6.99 shipped. Almost the same cost as monoprice/ meritline. They do $13.99 shipped for a pair. Just my $.02, many people have never had an issue with the 28 AWG though
post #11 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Thank you very much for the info. I am doing 6 foot cables, should I still get the 24 AWG's? Thanx.

Made a mistake in life? Nothin' a little Valtrex can't take care of...
post #12 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 AM

I just ordered a 15' AWG 28 HDMI cable from monoprice and I'm wondering if I made the right decision. It will be driven by an HD-D2 once I find one at a B&M Costco. I can't go shorter, since this is running across a wall to my front projector.

Any thoughts? Should I cancel my order and get a thicker cable in order to avoid the disappointment I'll feel if I get sparkles?
post #13 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 07:36 AM

since your running the HDMI cable on the wall and quite long, I would think it will be hard to make a change if there's a problem, I would suggest getting a thicker gauge (24AWG) of HDMI and CL2 certified. At least you have a peace of mind and would not feel something else.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 AM

Sorry, I should have said that it wasn't actually going behind the wall. It would be easy to make a change if I wasn't happy with the first cable. I guess I'll just let the first one ship and see if I like the picture quality I get from it.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm using a 15 foot BlueJean Cable's HDMI; quote "signal conductors in our HDMI cables are 24 AWG silver-plated copper".

I've been using this cable for over a year without any problems. It doesn't have Ferrite Cores since it is shielded.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #16 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.VOID View Post

I have used the monoprice and firefold 28 AWG's >>> They only offer 6' length in 28 AWG.

I had better success with the meritline 26 AWG 6' HDMI for $6.99 shipped. Almost the same cost as monoprice/ meritline. They do $13.99 shipped for a pair. Just my $.02, many people have never had an issue with the 28 AWG though

Cool man, thanx. Do you have a link for the $13.99 shipped cables? Thanx.
post #17 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

HA! THey lowered the price to $11.99 shipped.

http://meritline.com/193-142-0022.html
post #18 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.VOID View Post

HA! THey lowered the price to $11.99 shipped.

http://meritline.com/193-142-0022.html

Nice, thank you for the link! I found something odd though. It says they are gold plated connections, but they look silver in the picture. Is the picture wrong? Thanx again.
post #19 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Nice, thank you for the link! I found something odd though. It says they are gold plated connections, but they look silver in the picture. Is the picture wrong? Thanx again.

"Gold plated" ... more like "light gold color"

I have them and they are a very light colored gold. I seriously doubt they are real gold plated. FWIW: I believe that gold plating was more of an issue for analog connections composite style connectors.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you sir, I appreciate the help!
post #21 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

For a short run like 6-10 feet it wouldpribably be better to use the lighter 28AWG so you don't have trouble bending around corners, and the extra weight of the cable isn't putting strain on your HDMI connection.

Listen to the Real HT Info Podcast at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, including video reviews at my YouTube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I originally said it didn't matter what gauge cable you used for a 6 foot length. That's not completely true. The 24 gauge cables are heavier and stiffer than the 28 gauge, and the HDMI connector cannot be secured to the equipment. It is susceptible to falling out under the weight of the heavier cables. One change I made was to use a 1/2 meter 24 gauge cable from the HD-A2 to the wall box so the cable weight would be less than a 6 foot length. If you are using a 6 foot cable between your player and display, then I recommend the 28 gauge cable because it is lighter than the 24 gauge cable.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 View Post

I'm using a 15 foot BlueJean Cable's HDMI; quote "signal conductors in our HDMI cables are 24 AWG silver-plated copper".

I've been using this cable for over a year without any problems. It doesn't have Ferrite Cores since it is shielded.

...Angelo

All the HDMI cables are shielded. The ferrite cores are there to filter common-mode noise between player and display that might otherwise overwhelm the differential signal. They are not always found on shorter cables.
post #24 of 24 Old 05-31-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmollin View Post

All the HDMI cables are shielded. The ferrite cores are there to filter common-mode noise between player and display that might otherwise overwhelm the differential signal. They are not always found on shorter cables.

I guess if the 2 connecting devices are on 2 different circuits like the AVRack and Projector +20 feet away.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page