post #451 of 455 Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesflames View Post

The main problem is I don't have a sub. I'm waiting to get a good ID sub. So I set the XA2's speaker settings to large, no distance and use sub.

Change it to "NO SUB" and you will get the LFE channel distributed to the other channels. You should measure the distance from you listening position to the various speakers and enter that into the channel DISTANCE settings -- helps the surround sound imaging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 455 Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

Change it to "NO SUB" and you will get the LFE channel distributed to the other channels. You should measure the distance from you listening position to the various speakers and enter that into the channel DISTANCE settings -- helps the surround sound imaging.

Thanks for the reply. I will re-adjust my settings tomorrow evening and see if I notice an improvement.
post #453 of 455 Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Ok, everywhere I read the suggestion is to set speakers to small in the player so that it can do bass management. I've got an XA2 connected by analog to an old RCA RT2580 receiver. When set to small speakers, all speakers were set to 75 dB including the subwoofer, which was the highest I could get it to go anyway.

My receiver only allows me to raise the subwoofer to +10dB. I lowered all other speakers to -5dB within the player and no difference in the subwoofer output. It was still 75dB. Now, if I set the speakers to large with speakers at 0dB at the player and +10dB for the subwoofer at the receiver my subwoofer automatically goes up to 80dB+ while the other speakers stay at 75dB.

My question is: what do I want and what is correct?

This topic says that when I set speakers to small I need 15dB of boost to the subwoofer but my receiver doesn't let me. Do I keep everything at 75dB using bass management?

Thanks.
post #454 of 455 Old 10-11-2008, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 289
algeeba, do you have full-range speakers? Most people do not.

What crossover setting did you use? That can have an effect.

Did you change the SPDIF setting to "PCM"?

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #455 of 455 Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 AM

Josh Z, thanks for your response. But, disregard my previous post. I DO have to set my speakers to small. Even if the subwoofer was louder with the speakers set to large I was not getting lower tones to my subwoofer. I downloaded the AVS Test Tones to "correctly" calibrate my system and they have suggestions on movies that have great bass. I used Aliens to see if my system was working correctly.

Previously I was using "The Incredibles" test tones. If anyone else is using them then don't. My settings were way off compared to the AVS Test Tones that are available for download here at AVS.

When playing "Express Elevator To Hell" from Aliens I was not getting a certain low rumbling from the dropship. I put the speakers to small and now I understood exactly why the bass management was so important. I heard lower bass that my speakers could not duplicate whether I adjusted the crossover from lowest to highest.

One thing I noticed, though, is that I got bass management working "correctly" whether I had the SPDIF setting to either bitstream or PCM. That one was weird as I understand the suggestion is to have it to PCM. My XA2 is at version 4.0 and my RCA HDV5000 also works the same with its own version 4.0. Comments? Am I missing something?

Well, now for my final questions. Regarding speaker levels, do I want all speakers + S.W. at the same level, the S.W. 10dB louder or the S.W. 5dB louder than the speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page