Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post

Roger and Rooper,

Yes, please keep us posted on the FC4 mod. Do you know if this is unique to the Firmware 1.6 version, and why would a signal routing change (cutting the diode trace) is required to fix a SW conflict with 1.6.

Also, does this mod need to be done for HD-A2 owners who have "upgraded" to Ver 1.6 firmware. Will this have any effect on getting full 1080i to the TV after the mod? (not a down rez to 480p, for example).

I am always concerned that Firmware upgrades can sometimes cripple a previously working capability; and with DRM and all the copy protection fud, I just want to make sure that full 1080i Component capability remains with these HD DVD players via a HDMI-to-Component converter like the FC4.

Ray

Can't answer all of that. But, I'll keep you posted on my results which I'll probably try out later tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 202 Old 06-15-2007, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Here's something interesting. When I changed the output on my HD-A2 from 1080i to 480p, the picture seemed to re-center itself, and not have the left shift it has at 1080i. Of course, change the resolution back, and I have problems again.
post #33 of 202 Old 06-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I will make the mod and report back on the results here.

Hi Roger,

Did the mod work??
post #34 of 202 Old 06-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzius View Post

Hi Roger,

Did the mod work??

I don't know yet. Sorry, but I just spent the last 3 hours doing a complete geometry and convergence cal on my TV. I had the digital convergence board go out last week and when I replaced it, I only roughed in the two modes I watch the most. Today I decided to set everything for those two modes (TheaterWide 1 [stretched SD] and FULL [HD and Anomorphic 480P]. I still have standard, TW2 and TW3 to do, but I seldom use those modes (I do use TW2 for non-anamorphic DVD's, so will have to do that one for sure).

I'll probably take a shot at the FC4 tomorrow. I'll post my findings in this thread either way. I did open it up and cut the diode as instructed, so it's ready to go in that regard.

post #35 of 202 Old 06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzius View Post

Hi Roger,

Did the mod work??

Ok, hooked it up tonight and.... it works! Cutting the diode was easy enough if not what the average user should be asked to do. Interestingly, I had also sent a note to the manufacturer in England and they replied wanting the serial number and indicated that they would do whatever was required including replacing the unit and/or altering the unit to work with the XA2. Not bad...

The only drawback I can see is playing non-anomorphic (not enhanced for 16x9 televisions) disks. You wind up with a boxed picture in the middle of your screen and on my set, 1080i locks the mode so I can't pick a stretch mode to expand the picture. So, for the few disks I have like that, I will go into setup first and set the max resolution to "up to 480p," so I can use TW2 on my Toshiba which is the best mode for those DVDs.

All in all, I'm happy to be up and running! Oh yeah, the picture is excellent!

post #36 of 202 Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

Ok, hooked it up tonight and.... it works! Cutting the diode was easy enough if not what the average user should be asked to do. Interestingly, I had also sent a note to the manufacturer in England and they replied wanting the serial number and indicated that they would do whatever was required including replacing the unit and/or altering the unit to work with the XA2. Not bad...

The only drawback I can see is playing non-anomorphic (not enhanced for 16x9 televisions) disks. You wind up with a boxed picture in the middle of your screen and on my set, 1080i locks the mode so I can't pick a stretch mode to expand the picture. So, for the few disks I have like that, I will go into setup first and set the max resolution to "up to 480p," so I can use TW2 on my Toshiba which is the best mode for those DVDs.

All in all, I'm happy to be up and running! Oh yeah, the picture is excellent!

Roger, great news for you! Would you be able to post the jpg that shows what to cut?
post #37 of 202 Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post

Roger, great news for you! Would you be able to post the jpg that shows what to cut?

If I can figure out how... Never tried before.

Edit: Hey, it worked
LL

post #38 of 202 Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Roger,

If I remember from the start of this thread, if one stays with Firmware 1.5, then this cut-the-diode "fix" is not required. Correct?

Glad to hear it is working for you, but I don't want the video compromise you seem to have wound up with. I don't have the "Analog problem" you referred to originally, as I will be running S/PDIF only

"""The only drawback I can see is playing non-anomorphic (not enhanced for 16x9 televisions) disks. You wind up with a boxed picture in the middle of your screen and on my set, 1080i locks the mode so I can't pick a stretch mode to expand the picture. So, for the few disks I have like that, I will go into setup first and set the max resolution to "up to 480p," so I can use TW2 on my Toshiba which is the best mode for those DVDs."""

Ray
post #39 of 202 Old 06-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post

Roger,

If I remember from the start of this thread, if one stays with Firmware 1.5, then this cut-the-diode "fix" is not required. Correct?

Glad to hear it is working for you, but I don't want the video compromise you seem to have wound up with. I don't have the "Analog problem" you referred to originally, as I will be running S/PDIF only

"""The only drawback I can see is playing non-anomorphic (not enhanced for 16x9 televisions) disks. You wind up with a boxed picture in the middle of your screen and on my set, 1080i locks the mode so I can't pick a stretch mode to expand the picture. So, for the few disks I have like that, I will go into setup first and set the max resolution to "up to 480p," so I can use TW2 on my Toshiba which is the best mode for those DVDs."""

Ray

Ok, answers:

1) Correct, the cut the diode fix would not be needed if you stay with 1.5.

2) The non-anomorphic issue (boxed picture) would be present with any firmware version, it's a function of how the disk is recorded and the TV locking into 1080i mode, so you will have the issue same as anyone. The solution is easy enough...

3) The analog fix has nothing to do with the video and if you decide to stay at 1.5, you may miss something needed to play certain disks down the road. I'd just do the fix or have someone comfortable with such things do it for you. Takes all of 10 minutes including opening and closing the case.

If you do decide to upgrade your firmware, try the unit before commiting to the diode cut, who knows, maybe you have a later rev than me and it will work

post #40 of 202 Old 06-20-2007, 07:11 AM

I would not be too optimistic about solving the upscaling via components problem. I suspect that Toshiba is deliberately obstructing this function because of "copyright protection" issues. Technically there is no reason why the players could not upscale via component to component it is only because of the firmware that you cannot; note that Oppo players manage to do this without problems (and are also region free). If this is the case then any hardware fix such as the FC4 will probably be suppressed by later so called firmware upgrades from Toshiba.
post #41 of 202 Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iansmccarthy View Post

I would not be too optimistic about solving the upscaling via components problem. I suspect that Toshiba is deliberately obstructing this function because of "copyright protection" issues. Technically there is no reason why the players could not upscale via component to component it is only because of the firmware that you cannot; note that Oppo players manage to do this without problems (and are also region free). If this is the case then any hardware fix such as the FC4 will probably be suppressed by later so called firmware upgrades from Toshiba.

See the other thread on this. The manufacturer has already updated the device once and has said they will continue to going forward.

post #42 of 202 Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

For those with the VisionFC4 unit, I'm happy to report that the firmware upgrade to 2.0 was a non-issue. Everything continues to work as expected.

post #43 of 202 Old 06-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooper View Post

I also got an e-mail from the seller to see if we can figure out my problem. I'll post any progress made.

Rooper, did your seller help you out on the picture centering issue?

post #44 of 202 Old 06-30-2007, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I made the jump and ordered the VisionFC4 from ebay for my component only television. I have the XA2 with firmware 2.0 so I assume i'll have to make the diode cut to make it work.

I can pass 1080i from HD DVDs through component. I'm buying this unit so I can also upscale my SD DVDs; is the PQ identical on HD DVDs through the unit vs. straight?
post #45 of 202 Old 07-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I made the jump and ordered the VisionFC4 from ebay for my component only television. I have the XA2 with firmware 2.0 so I assume i'll have to make the diode cut to make it work.

Try it first, the lastest ones are coming without that diode, so you might be just plug and play.

Quote:

I can pass 1080i from HD DVDs through component. I'm buying this unit so I can also upscale my SD DVDs; is the PQ identical on HD DVDs through the unit vs. straight?

As far as I can tell, there is no difference.

Let us know your experience when you get it going.

post #46 of 202 Old 07-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

Try it first, the lastest ones are coming without that diode, so you might be just plug and play.

As far as I can tell, there is no difference.

Let us know your experience when you get it going.

I got mine this past Monday, it had an orange dot sticker on the box and the top of the unit itself; not sure if that means it's one without the diode.

Plays just dandy connected to my firmware 2.0 upgraded XA2. I don't see a difference in PQ with or without the unit connected...both ways look might fine to my eyes.
post #47 of 202 Old 07-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Has anybody tried the FC4 with the new 2.1 firmware?
post #48 of 202 Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anybody tried the FC4 with the new 2.1 firmware?

I just updated my XA2, no issues to report.

post #49 of 202 Old 08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Has anybody tried the FC4 with the new 2.2 firmware?
post #50 of 202 Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anybody tried the FC4 with the new 2.2 firmware?

Yes, it works fine.

post #51 of 202 Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM

Hi there everyone!

I have this unit hooked up to a non-DVI equipped Philips 60pp9352 hdtv. When playing back either upscaled SD DVD or HD DVD from Toshiba HDA1 to the Philips via the component breakout supplied cable, I'm getting a strange color distortion running horizontally along the top of the picture...very thin red green & blue rainbow-like lines across the top of the screen.

So,next I tried hooking up another hdmi cable...same effect. The fc4 has selectable vga/Ypbrpbg output so I tried hooking up the vga DB15 output,since the tv features this type of HD input, set the colorspace,and it exhibits the same problem.

In both instances stated above the picture is pretty good...except for that darn color distortion. Any advice that anyone can give on how to relieve this matter?

Thanks!
Rene
post #52 of 202 Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepaul View Post

Hi there everyone!

I have this unit hooked up to a non-DVI equipped Philips 60pp9352 hdtv. When playing back either upscaled SD DVD or HD DVD from Toshiba HDA1 to the Philips via the component breakout supplied cable, I'm getting a strange color distortion running horizontally along the top of the picture...very thin red green & blue rainbow-like lines across the top of the screen.

So,next I tried hooking up another hdmi cable...same effect. The fc4 has selectable vga/Ypbrpbg output so I tried hooking up the vga DB15 output,since the tv features this type of HD input, set the colorspace,and it exhibits the same problem.

In both instances stated above the picture is pretty good...except for that darn color distortion. Any advice that anyone can give on how to relieve this matter?

Thanks!
Rene

First thing I would do is try to isolate if it's the FC4 or the source device. Can you connect the FC4 to another HDMI source device (like a satellite box)?

If you do that and still have the color distortion, then the FC4 is at fault, if not then your HDA1 is the problem.

If it's the FC4, I'd contact either the vendor I got it from or the manufacturer as the unit is probably defective. My vendor had the fix I needed (diode removal), but the manufacturer was ready to help me out as well.

post #53 of 202 Old 08-17-2007, 02:27 PM

Thanks Roger for the suggestion...

I removed the hdmi cable from the HDA1 (firmware 2.3 btw) and then connected it to my Dish HD Dvr622 hdmi output...RATS! same issue.

SO...I tried hooking up the hdmi cable to my PS3 (format neutral), made the necessary setup adjustment, and crossed my fingers...same issue.

I have sent an email to mfr for assistance...we'll see how it pans out.

Incidentally, when viewing a scope film like 300 or any letterbox presentation, the top black bar kind of masks it out! It's only noticeable on 16:9 material like The Searchers,etc.

post #54 of 202 Old 08-29-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renepaul View Post

Thanks Roger for the suggestion...

I removed the hdmi cable from the HDA1 (firmware 2.3 btw) and then connected it to my Dish HD Dvr622 hdmi output...RATS! same issue.

SO...I tried hooking up the hdmi cable to my PS3 (format neutral), made the necessary setup adjustment, and crossed my fingers...same issue.

I have sent an email to mfr for assistance...we'll see how it pans out.

Incidentally, when viewing a scope film like 300 or any letterbox presentation, the top black bar kind of masks it out! It's only noticeable on 16:9 material like The Searchers,etc.

Update: At recommendation of vendor,I shipped the unit back to them for bench test...no fault was found. It must be the rptv,some kind of signal input problem...or maybe it has had its day?

Thinking about the HDFury unit,but wondering if its worth it.

(My WAF towards gettin' a shiny new 1080p unit looks more promising each day!)
post #55 of 202 Old 09-01-2007, 04:32 PM

Anything new on this front? I'm looking to get into HD-DVD, but my RPTV is only component input. Although that would be fine just for the HD DVD viewing, I would like to upconvert SD DVDs if possible.
I had looked at the Toshiba players, but I think I would like to at least know I have the option of upconverting.

I also have a DD5.1 optical input recvr, so my options are slightly different with my older equipment (that still works great).

If a device like this would give me the option of a standalone player, then that would be great. Of course, I will then need to decide between a standalone and the 360, but at least I know what my options are.

Thanks.
post #56 of 202 Old 09-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwhite View Post

Anything new on this front? I'm looking to get into HD-DVD, but my RPTV is only component input. Although that would be fine just for the HD DVD viewing, I would like to upconvert SD DVDs if possible.
I had looked at the Toshiba players, but I think I would like to at least know I have the option of upconverting.

I also have a DD5.1 optical input recvr, so my options are slightly different with my older equipment (that still works great).

If a device like this would give me the option of a standalone player, then that would be great. Of course, I will then need to decide between a standalone and the 360, but at least I know what my options are.

Thanks.

You have essentially what the device is made for. Older equipment (Component only) at the display end and newer equipment (HDMI) at the source (HD-DVD Player) end. My Toshiba XA2 feeds the HDMI to Component converter which then goes to my Component switching recever (B&K AVR-307) which switches between the Satellite and DVD player to my component only Toshiba TV (TW65H80). It all works just fine and I can enjoy upconverted SD DVDs.

post #57 of 202 Old 09-05-2007, 03:27 PM

So this all looks very interesting to me and I'm thinging of taking the plunge myself. However, I do have another question that I'm hoping you guys can try out for me.

I currently have the Toshiba HD-A2 running component to an Onkyo SX600 and from there, component out to the TV. I'm thinking of getting the new Onkyo SX603 which has both component and HDMI switching.

So here's what I'd like to know if it works... I'd like to run HDMI from the toshiba to get 1080i and up-scaled SD DVDs. Then also change the HD DirecTV Tivo to HDMI and run that to the Toshiba. Then convert the output of the Toshiba HDMI to Component to the TV.

Any thoughts as to why this wouldn't work with the FC4?

Thanks.
post #58 of 202 Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDoc View Post

So this all looks very interesting to me and I'm thinging of taking the plunge myself. However, I do have another question that I'm hoping you guys can try out for me.

I currently have the Toshiba HD-A2 running component to an Onkyo SX600 and from there, component out to the TV. I'm thinking of getting the new Onkyo SX603 which has both component and HDMI switching.

So here's what I'd like to know if it works... I'd like to run HDMI from the toshiba to get 1080i and up-scaled SD DVDs. Then also change the HD DirecTV Tivo to HDMI and run that to the Toshiba. Then convert the output of the Toshiba HDMI to Component to the TV.

Any thoughts as to why this wouldn't work with the FC4?

Thanks.

The device does not know or care if the source comes through a switcher, it will work fine. You are going to do exactly what I plan on when I change to a newer receiver (Sat HDMI to Receiver, XA2 HDMI to Reciever, Receiver to FC4).

post #59 of 202 Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Hi Roger,

I just found this site and I am almost convinced this may work for me too. I have a Panasonic HD Plasma that is about three and a half years old...only has component video. My receiver is also as old (if this is old...), a Denon 3801. This Denon also only has Component Video inputs.

I too would love to get a HD DVD player...and sounds like Toshiba prices are just about right now. I have like 300 regular dvd's...so am not planning to simply trash these to just get better video.

I read on another site that converters like this wouldn't work....saying some bull that because DVD's might have encryption (against copying), that signals going through a convertor like this VicsionFC4 wouldn'tpass through or be converted. For non-encrypted DVD's (who knows which are and aren't)...they should...

Is this what you understand too? I simply want to get one of these units myself and use the HDMI to upconvert my dvd's to their best potential. If movies have this encryption issue.....does the VisionFC4 work?

The photo's I see of this VisionFC4 appear to have pin type connectors for input and output. Does the VisionFC4 have Component video (three cable feed) output directly or does one need and additional adapter that changes a pin type connection to cable feeds?

I used to think I knew my share of how things work and could figure them out...but since HD came along...confusing as hell.

Anyway...not ready to buy another plasma or receiver...love the quality of HD with the Panasonic and Denon 7.1 is great. Just need to see if I can upconvert my dvd's to HD or near HD quality...

Thanks,
Bob
St. Pete, Florida
post #60 of 202 Old 09-10-2007, 09:28 PM

Bob,

The VisonFC4 works just fine. It tells the HD-DVD the correct 'lies' so the HD-DVD player thinks it is talking to a TV with HDMI input and outputs the upconverted video stream with no signal degradation. I have had the VisionFC4 since last spring and it works fine.

Franzius
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page