Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McKissick View Post

Hi Roger,

I just found this site and I am almost convinced this may work for me too. I have a Panasonic HD Plasma that is about three and a half years old...only has component video. My receiver is also as old (if this is old...), a Denon 3801. This Denon also only has Component Video inputs.

I too would love to get a HD DVD player...and sounds like Toshiba prices are just about right now. I have like 300 regular dvd's...so am not planning to simply trash these to just get better video.

I read on another site that converters like this wouldn't work....saying some bull that because DVD's might have encryption (against copying), that signals going through a convertor like this VicsionFC4 wouldn'tpass through or be converted. For non-encrypted DVD's (who knows which are and aren't)...they should...

Is this what you understand too? I simply want to get one of these units myself and use the HDMI to upconvert my dvd's to their best potential. If movies have this encryption issue.....does the VisionFC4 work?

Yes it does.

Quote:

The photo's I see of this VisionFC4 appear to have pin type connectors for input and output. Does the VisionFC4 have Component video (three cable feed) output directly or does one need and additional adapter that changes a pin type connection to cable feeds?

The unit is provided with a three cable breakout for component use which connects to the RGB output connector.

Quote:

I used to think I knew my share of how things work and could figure them out...but since HD came along...confusing as hell.

Anyway...not ready to buy another plasma or receiver...love the quality of HD with the Panasonic and Denon 7.1 is great. Just need to see if I can upconvert my dvd's to HD or near HD quality...

Thanks,
Bob
St. Pete, Florida

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 202 Old 09-15-2007, 07:25 PM

Does anyone know if the VisionFC4 works with the newer HDMI 1.3a receivers like the Onkyo TX-SR875? I also have a Mits 65" HDTV with only component inputs...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 202 Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Does anyone know if the VisionFC4 works with the newer HDMI 1.3a receivers like the Onkyo TX-SR875? I also have a Mits 65" HDTV with only component inputs...

Yes, I have the new Esoteric UX-3 pi and it is a 1.3 HDMI and picture is fantastic on my Loewe 38 inch tube, BUT mine is off set to the left a little too on 1080i. Centers up on 480P. Does anyone know what diode to snip??
post #64 of 202 Old 09-19-2007, 01:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I didnt want to start another thread but I am looking for component to hdmi device, basically just for my nintendo wii, everything is hooked up through my hdmi switch, I need a way to make the wii component into hdmi.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Component-Video-Y...QQcmdZViewItem
post #65 of 202 Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM

Well my diode came already cut and no luck! Still is off set to the left on 1080i and Centers up on 480P on my Loewe. Seller is going to check with the manufacturer. Same problem when tried on my Dish VIP 722 HD receiver and on another TV and player. Big bummer. I will post what the seller in UK finds out.
post #66 of 202 Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Are you changing resolutions on the loewe? I always thought they were fixed but the loewe can take 1080i and 480p on the same input, if its set for 1080i.

My aconda is set up for 1080i on the component input. I feed everything to that input from a simple component switcher. When I play a regular DVD on the A1, it automatically changes resolution to 480p, resulting in a small bright sliver of light at the top left corner of the screen. Other than that, the loewe just deals with the resolution change transparently. When I remove copy protection from DVD's, it plays everything back at 1080i, without the sliver.

This must have something to do with blanking / overscan and I could probably dial it in for 480p and 1080i on the same input if I knew how and had the service codes.

Let me know if you get this thing to work because removing copy protection just to get the best video quality really isn't worth the effort to me.
post #67 of 202 Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM

I have a Liteon 2001 SDDVD/CD/etc player for sale that upconverts over component up to 1080I (very rare) I do not want anywhere near as much as these cables and switches you've been discussing, it works with eveything I originally got it for a 1080I Toshiba CRT projection TV and an older Pioneer receiver which were both pre-HDMI component only. I was always happy with it and had no complaints. The Toshiba was replaced in Feruary, then the receiver died and was replaced with a Yamaha HTR-5990, all HDMI, so I got an Oppo970 which does everything including DVDA and HDCD and upconverts over HDMI. Now I've gotten a Toshiba HD-A2 HDDVD player which is the best of them all visually but only the Oppo can play the DVDA's and HDCD's. So I need to get rid of the Liteon. It is advertised here on the forum and all I want is a reasonable offer.

Here is the link to the add. http://marketplace.avsforum.com/show...duct=300&cat=4

Just reply to email HalfFastLT1@gmail.com and I'll get back to you but I'm going in for surgery on Monday 10/8/07 so there may be a delay. I am a very honest and trustworth person so you can rest assurred on that.
post #68 of 202 Old 11-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Hi

I read that Spatz-Tech's DVI MAGIC authorization key was revoked

and they are now useless! Could that happen to Vision FC4 and Box1080

http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs161...cs161.1014.pdf

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #69 of 202 Old 11-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjt View Post

I read that Spatz-Tech's DVI MAGIC authorization key was revoked

Where?

post #70 of 202 Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I'm glad I found this thread since I was wondering if there was a way to run HDMI to my older 53" Pioneer Elite rear projection HDTV that only has component. It's a no brainer to use this for a HD DVD player but was wondering if anyone is using this FC4 for a Dish Network HD receiver. I just got the ViP 222 which is the HD without a DVR inside it. Does the FC4 improve on a HD receiver box for SD channels??? I didn't know if the FC4 would improve upon the Dish 222 receiver or not since it is a very new designed receiver by Dish Network. If it does, I guess I'll need to buy 2 FC4 units, one for my HD DVD player and one for the HD dish receiver box.

Thanks,
Robert
post #71 of 202 Old 11-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrobert View Post

I'm glad I found this thread since I was wondering if there was a way to run HDMI to my older 53" Pioneer Elite rear projection HDTV that only has component. It's a no brainer to use this for a HD DVD player but was wondering if anyone is using this FC4 for a Dish Network HD receiver. I just got the ViP 222 which is the HD without a DVR inside it. Does the FC4 improve on a HD receiver box for SD channels??? I didn't know if the FC4 would improve upon the Dish 222 receiver or not since it is a very new designed receiver by Dish Network. If it does, I guess I'll need to buy 2 FC4 units, one for my HD DVD player and one for the HD dish receiver box.

Thanks,
Robert

I don't think the unit will make your HD Receiver SD output any better or any worse, it just converts HDMI output to component, nothing more.

In your situation, I would buy an HDMI switching receiver (there are several inexpensive ones out now) and switch all the HDMI through the reciever, then run the HDMI out from the reciever to the FC4. That's what I do with my Denon 3808CI. I have a D* HD receiver, an SVHS VCR, and an HD DVD player connected to it. The output of the Denon goes to the FC4 and then the component outs from the FC4 go to my Toshiba TW65H80. It all works seamlessly.

Roger

post #72 of 202 Old 11-20-2007, 04:00 PM

I just received the FC4 and am very happy with its upconverson of SD using my HDA2
post #73 of 202 Old 11-20-2007, 06:03 PM

So let me get this right.
If I go from my hd a2 HDMI>HK247 AVR HDMI in,out HDMI> FC4 and then out to my projector thru component how do I decode the hd audio formats?
Please advise.
post #74 of 202 Old 11-21-2007, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsrep View Post

So let me get this right.
If I go from my hd a2 HDMI>HK247 AVR HDMI in,out HDMI> FC4 and then out to my projector thru component how do I decode the hd audio formats?
Please advise.

Your AVR (if it is capable) will do the decoding via the HDMI you have plugged into it. Remember, HDMI carries BOTH audio and video.
post #75 of 202 Old 11-21-2007, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey12345 View Post

I just received the FC4 and am very happy with its upconverson of SD using my HDA2

Just to be clear, the FC4 CONVERTS from HDMI to Component, nothing more. There is no upconversion performed. If it's 480P in, then it's 480P out...

Roger

post #76 of 202 Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 AM

I ordered one today.
My set up is:
HK247 AVR- 3 HDMI inputs with one output which is too far away from projector HDMI input.
3 component inputs with one output to Epson 500 projector.
HR20 DVR>component,toslink audio
Oppo 970 hacked for upconversion>component,coaxial audio
HDA2>component,toslink audio
Plan is HDA2 HDMI>AVR HDMI in,AVR HDMI out>FC4>AVR component in>projector component in.
I'm assuming by doing this the HD audio codecs will pass thru and the video side as well.
This will also allow upconversion of my SD DVD's as well?
Thanks for the help and I'll report what's what once all is set up.
post #77 of 202 Old 12-09-2007, 07:36 PM

Has anybody tried the FC4 with the new 2.7 firmware?

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #78 of 202 Old 12-09-2007, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

It will work with ANY firmware update.

De-interlacing explained:

Rainbow effect? :

Lou
post #79 of 202 Old 12-10-2007, 06:48 AM
ctn

I would like to do the same thing. Just wondering if these boxes are illegal?
post #80 of 202 Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjt View Post

Has anybody tried the FC4 with the new 2.7 firmware?

JohnnyJT
South Philly

2.7 made no difference for me, everything still working fine.

Roger

post #81 of 202 Old 12-10-2007, 03:31 PM

I just received my VisionFC4 today and when I set my A2 for 1080i my 42" Plasma
display acknoledges 1080i siginal but I get a 2" horizonal weaving band at the top
(like the old VCRs use to do years ago) when I put it in 720p it's ok. It must be out of sync at 1080i
My 42" Plasma Monitor is a 2 year old 1080i unit with DVI.

It works with HDMI to DVI cable but I have no Color Control and factory setting is
Horrorable which can not be changed! That's why I am going Component, where I do
have Color Control and Picture can be adjusted and looks good

The output fron Dish Network box is set to 1080i and that works perfectly!

I guess I have to leave the A2 in 720p

What do you think?

btw VisionFC4 and box has orange dot

JohnnyJT
post #82 of 202 Old 12-11-2007, 05:03 PM
ctn

I found something called BoxHD. It looks just like the VisionFC4 but they are selling for $240. They claimed that it does not have the problem that FC4 and HDfury have the shifting line!!! Has anyone try this one yet?
post #83 of 202 Old 12-11-2007, 05:59 PM

Hi

If you check the website for Specifications...

http://www.curtpalme.com/boxHD.shtm

You will see...

HDCP compliant: When input is HDCP encrypted (protected) the component/RGB out will be turned off.

From what I read Box 1080 (the one that passed no HDCP) was pulled off market!

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #84 of 202 Old 12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
ctn

Thanks Johnny!

I saw that too but I thougth that they put it there for legal reason only.
post #85 of 202 Old 12-11-2007, 08:24 PM

I don't know! You would have to contact them.

The VisionFC4 works for me in 720p setting of Tosh A2

my Plasma Monitor is 1080i but there is a horizontal sync

problem at that setting. I have to check it out with another

1080i plasma if I can! I too have the left shift pic but I

can adjust the Plasma Monitor to fix it.

JohnnyJT
South Philly
post #86 of 202 Old 12-11-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctn View Post

I would like to do the same thing. Just wondering if these boxes are illegal?

NO!

De-interlacing explained:

Rainbow effect? :

Lou
post #87 of 202 Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 AM

Received my VisionFC4 (with an orange dot) a few days ago. I have one of the first generation RPTVs that handle both 720p and 1080i inputs via component connections only.

The Vision F4C shifts the picture about 2" to the left on both 720p and 1080i. 1080i picture with HDMI (FC4) is noticably softer/grainier than the straight component output. 720p picture with HDMI is fine except that it has the 3-4" distortion band in the top corners. These results were consistent with 2 HD sources: Cable TV HD-DVR and a Toshiba HD-A3 DVD player. Both 1080i and 720p display great with both sources when using straight component connections.

It would seem to me that the one that I received is not working correctly. Do they all shift the image to the left? I wrote to the vendor. Hopefully mine is defective and they can exchange it for one that works.
post #88 of 202 Old 01-03-2008, 07:44 AM

Just received the following note back from the vendor:

"Hello Curtis,
the few times that issues such as yours have risen with these converters is when using them on displays over 50". In which case, if there are not any internal display adjustments that can solve the issue, there is no fix. In which case we would be glad to offer a refund due to non compatibility. However you'd like to proceed.
Best regards
Art"

I find this a bit difficult to believe, but I don't see that I have any other option than to return it. Are there any other suppliers or products available besides the FC4 from ProAudio4You on ebay?
post #89 of 202 Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Read through this thread and it looks like the Vision may be the best bet compared to the HDFury. Does anyone have this working with a Pioneer Elite 720HD Rear projection TV?

Andy
post #90 of 202 Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 PM

Liked: 11
Due to access limitaions, I'm currently not able to provide HDMI connections between my video sources (Cox HD cable, Pioneer DV-05 DVD & Sony BluRay BD300) and my Sony VPL VW60 projector. I was waiting on the Philips wireless HDMI unit that was announced in January 2006 for release in May or fall of 2007 (depending on which report you read) that still is not available. I read reports on the Vision FC4 HDMI to component adapter and thought that I would FINALLY get to experience 1080P-24! I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR705 reciever to switch between the 3 (component) video sources, keeping in mind that the BD 300 is coming from the HDMI output and thru the FC4 to component. Yesterday, after receiving the excellent HDMI and VGA to component cables from Blue Jean cables I hooked everything up, when I selected 1080P on the BD300, I got a "resolution not supported" message. :-(

Any suggestions on what I can do now? Is the problem coming from the Onkyo receiver or the VW60? Since, as I understand it, I'm using the VW60 for upconversion, am I wasting my time using BluRay...would I be just as well off watching standard DVDs from the Pioneer DV-05?

Please help!

Regards,

Jack
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page