post #181 of 202 Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by crg914 View Post

A lot of this stuff is a bit over my head but I have a simple question. I was looking at purchasing an HDMI -> Component converter so that my AppleTV can be output to Zone 2 on my receiver. Are there any potential problems I could run into or is this a simple task?

Gear:
Pioneer VSX23-TXH
AppleTV2
Yamaha AW390 Speakers (Porch)
Panasonic TH50PX60U

Proposed Converter:
http://www.HDTVSupply.com/hdmi-to-rgb.html

Thanks in advance!

I believe that unit at that site is overpriced, I have seen it elsewhere at other web sites for less money.

I own and highly recommend this unit:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Compone...6901962&sr=8-7

You can read the reviews from folks using for AppleTV applications. Note that the unit does NOT change resolutions, i.e., the 720p output from AppleTV will convert only to 720p component video or 720p VGA/RGB.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 202 Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

I believe that unit at that site is overpriced, I have seen it elsewhere at other web sites for less money.

You can read the reviews from folks using for AppleTV applications. Note that the unit does NOT change resolutions, i.e., the 720p output from AppleTV will convert only to 720p component video or 720p VGA/RGB.

While I appreciate the reply, the product you posted a link for does not have an analog audio (except a headphone jack which outputs nothing if the input is 5.1) which defeats the purpose of the converter. I am trying to convert the digital audio to analog audio so I can play it through Zone 2 on my receiver. Do you know a product that has Y-Pb-Pr and R-L audio?
post #183 of 202 Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

While I appreciate the reply, the product you posted a link for does not have an analog audio (except a headphone jack which outputs nothing if the input is 5.1) which defeats the purpose of the converter. I am trying to convert the digital audio to analog audio so I can play it through Zone 2 on my receiver. Do you know a product that has Y-Pb-Pr and R-L audio?

I use this product at times to convert digital audio (input via HDMI) to analog L+R audio using the output RCA L+R jacks on the unit. My AV receiver automatically switches the digital audio HDMI output from normal DD5.1 to PCM Stereo when the AV receiver is turned off. This allows me to send the stereo analog audio to my HD-ready TV set to have sound without using the AV receiver.

Maybe I am still not clear on your intended use.

Dave
post #184 of 202 Old 06-03-2011, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Do you know a product that has Y-Pb-Pr and R-L audio?

If you look at that Amazon link and then pick "buyers also looked at these items" or whatever the feature is called, there is another device (maybe even the same one in your first post) for under US$50 that seems to do what you need.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #185 of 202 Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:

I use this product at times to convert digital audio (input via HDMI) to analog L+R audio using the output RCA L+R jacks on the unit. My AV receiver automatically switches the digital audio HDMI output from normal DD5.1 to PCM Stereo when the AV receiver is turned off. This allows me to send the stereo analog audio to my HD-ready TV set to have sound without using the AV receiver.

I need a converter to go between the AppleTV and my receiver. Right now AppleTV in connected via HDMI to the receiver. This is great but I cannot play music in Zone 2 (patio) because the audio must be analog. So, I either need to convert the optical out of the AppleTV to analog and connect it to another input on the receiver for Zone 2 audio...or, I need to convert the HDMI to YPbPr+RL and will be able to use the same input for audio inside as well as Zone 2. I hope makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

If you look at that Amazon link and then pick "buyers also looked at these items" or whatever the feature is called, there is another device (maybe even the same one in your first post) for under US$50 that seems to do what you need.

Thanks, I actually already looked at that device and it has more negative reviews than positive. I'll keep searching. Thanks for all the help.
post #186 of 202 Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for posting the link to the HDMI to component converter above. Like crg914, I'm also looking to connect an AppleTV but I'm looking to connect it to a HDTV with analog video inputs only.

The ViewHD unit looks VERY good but the photo in the Amazon ad shows it having a single analog audio output. You posted above you use this product to convert digital audio (via HDMI) to stereo analog using the "output RCA L+R jacks" but I don't see these jacks on the unit. Do you have a stereo analog breakout cable you use or something? Could you provide more details here?

Thanks!

Peace...
post #187 of 202 Old 07-13-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdkat View Post

Thanks for posting the link to the HDMI to component converter above. Like crg914, I'm also looking to connect an AppleTV but I'm looking to connect it to a HDTV with analog video inputs only.

The ViewHD unit looks VERY good but the photo in the Amazon ad shows it having a single analog audio output. You posted above you use this product to convert digital audio (via HDMI) to stereo analog using the "output RCA L+R jacks" but I don't see these jacks on the unit. Do you have a stereo analog breakout cable you use or something? Could you provide more details here?

Thanks!

Peace...

My post was not accurate for the analog audio out. The unit has a mini (1/8 inch) stereo jack, but also came with a short adapter cable to break that out to Left and Right RCA jacks. Sorry for adding confusion.

Mine is still going strong. I leave it powered on always.

I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Dave
post #188 of 202 Old 07-13-2011, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My post was not accurate for the analog audio out. The unit has a mini (1/8 inch) stereo jack, but also came with a short adapter cable to break that out to Left and Right RCA jacks. Sorry for adding confusion.

Mine is still going strong. I leaved it powered on always.

I would be happy to answer any other questions.

Good enough for me! Thanks!

Peace...

Tom
post #189 of 202 Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 AM

I need to connect an Acer AR1600 to an RCA F38310.

The HTPC has regular VGA and also HDMI output.
The TV only has component input.

I would like to avoid getting left shift or picture degradation as much as possible.

What devices are currently available to take care of this problem?
post #190 of 202 Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have had decent luck with cheapo VGA to Component adapters, just make sure your sending 1080i which can be tough to get an HTPC to do.
post #191 of 202 Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

I have had decent luck with cheapo VGA to Component adapters, just make sure your sending 1080i which can be tough to get an HTPC to do.

I am running XBMC on an Acer R1600 with Windows 7.
I am trying to connect to an RCA F38310 which only has YPbPr component video input for HD.
To get around this I am using a ViewHD VHD-H2YVs HDMI to YPbPr Component converter.
I have Windows 7 and XBMC both set at 1920x1080
On windows 7 desktop the display is scrambled.
However, when my htpc loads XBMC it syncs up and gives me a picture.
Any ideas what's going on?
I have tried all sorts of different refresh rates in Windows 7 and nothing seems to work so far for windows desktop.
But like I said, XBMC is fine.
post #192 of 202 Old 10-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
I can't help you on your problem, but I can tell you I use a HDFURY2 and it works flawlessly if you don't get your issues solved.
post #193 of 202 Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Maybe XBMC is set to 1080i (which will work), but the desktop is set to 1080p (which will not work)?

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #194 of 202 Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM

I read the entire thread, and found a device that is $40 that claims to be able to do 720p HDMI to 720p Component with no HDCP issues. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Does anyone have experience with that unit? Colour rendition and image centering are important, my component device has no adjustment for either.

I just need it for video, not audio.

Any information you can provide would be great

Thanks!

-Jamie M.
post #195 of 202 Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Liked: 11
I use the mono price unit on an htpc with no issues. I haven't tried with an hdcp source. My only grip is that overscan is a bit excessive on my TV, but I don't know if thats monoprice's fault or my tv's. Sagetv allows me to scale to correct for that, so all its menus work perfectly well for my purposes.
post #196 of 202 Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk29321 View Post

I use the mono price unit on an htpc with no issues. I haven't tried with an hdcp source. My only grip is that overscan is a bit excessive on my TV, but I don't know if thats monoprice's fault or my tv's. Sagetv allows me to scale to correct for that, so all its menus work perfectly well for my purposes.

Thanks for the info For that price I really can't go wrong so I'll order it up and test it out. If it doesn't do what I need I'll just get an HDFury 2, 3 or 3D

Hopefully the overscan issue is your TV and not the adapter, I can't have any overscan at all

-Jamie M.
post #197 of 202 Old 02-10-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

Thanks for the info For that price I really can't go wrong so I'll order it up and test it out. If it doesn't do what I need I'll just get an HDFury 2, 3 or 3D

Hopefully the overscan issue is your TV and not the adapter, I can't have any overscan at all

-Jamie M.

I'd be curious to hear how that works out for you. I have an older CRT HD set that has no way to correct for overscan, and no HDMI inputs. If I can get an HDMI converter that works well, then I'm thinking about getting a PHD-8VX as it allows you to adjust for overscan, but only outputs HDMI.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #198 of 202 Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 PM

Will let you know once I get it and my Black Magic Intensity Pro Pci-E card to pull in the component video

-Jamie M.
post #199 of 202 Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by toysareforboys View Post

I read the entire thread, and found a device that is $40 that claims to be able to do 720p HDMI to 720p Component with no HDCP issues. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Does anyone have experience with that unit? Colour rendition and image centering are important, my component device has no adjustment for either.

I just need it for video, not audio.

Any information you can provide would be great

Thanks!

-Jamie M.

I use a unit I got off Amazon that looks the same and is cheaper and works ok.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-compo...1110236&sr=8-1
post #200 of 202 Old 03-07-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

I use a unit I got off Amazon that looks the same and is cheaper and works ok.
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-RCA-compo...1110236&sr=8-1

That looks identical to the monoprice unit. And from reviews of the unit on Amazon, it looks like it has the same centering issue as well.

Here's a review of the monoprice unit
http://www.missingremote.com/review/...udio-converter

I assume the left shift (non-standard SMPTE component timing) is causing the one TV he has to have a messed up top half of the picture.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #201 of 202 Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget_HT View Post

believe that unit at that site is overpriced, I have seen it elsewhere at other web sites for less money.

The link to this device is broken and sounds like something I would like to check out. Basically, I am trying to find the best option that will allow me to playback the audio coming from a Motorola DVR (DCX-3400) when watching content from that device on my Sharp HDTV. I would like to have an option to select between audio playback on the TV itself and on my 5.1 system. Is there an AVR that can accomplish this through a single HDMI connection routed from the Motorola DVR through the AVR to the HDTV? Best advice I've had so far is to have two connections, one HDMI from the DVR to the AVR w/ an HDMI making the connection from the AVR to the HDTV, and then a second using Component Video and a stereo audio cable going directly to the HDTV for times when we want to just use the audio on the HDTV. No digital audio in options on this TV so the standard stereo audio cable is the best option when making this connection from the DVR to the HDTV direct (given the one HDMI out on the DVR is going to the AVR).
post #202 of 202 Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsalt1 View Post

The link to this device is broken and sounds like something I would like to check out. Basically, I am trying to find the best option that will allow me to playback the audio coming from a Motorola DVR (DCX-3400) when watching content from that device on my Sharp HDTV. I would like to have an option to select between audio playback on the TV itself and on my 5.1 system. Is there an AVR that can accomplish this through a single HDMI connection routed from the Motorola DVR through the AVR to the HDTV? Best advice I've had so far is to have two connections, one HDMI from the DVR to the AVR w/ an HDMI making the connection from the AVR to the HDTV, and then a second using Component Video and a stereo audio cable going directly to the HDTV for times when we want to just use the audio on the HDTV. No digital audio in options on this TV so the standard stereo audio cable is the best option when making this connection from the DVR to the HDTV direct (given the one HDMI out on the DVR is going to the AVR).

Another option is to run the HDMI direct to the TV and use a digital audio cable to the AVR. As the DCX-3400 is not capable of the HD audio codecs, HDMI is not necessary for the audio...As you would have to switch inputs on the TV with the Component setup anyway, this may be just as convenient depending on your needs.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page