HDMI to Component Converter Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 202 Old 06-07-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm not the most technical person in the world, so I'm looking for some help on this issue. I have an Toshiba HD-A2 player, but my HDTV is older and has no DVI or HDMI inputs. Obviously I can hook-up the component outs to take advantage of the HD-DVD picture. What I'm also interested in doing is benefiting from the upscaling of SD DVDs that the player does. As I understand it, upscaling only passes over HDMI.

So the question is, what does this device do?

NOTE: I intended to post a link, but can't do to forum rules. The item is labeled as a HDMI to VGA (RGBHV) or Component Converter sold by av-sales(dot)co.uk

It obviously converts HDMI to component. But is it possible to maintain an upscaled signal using this device? It's unclear if it's HDCP compliant or such. Anyone ever use one of these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 Old 06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

That device looks identical to the "VisionFC4" that you can find on e-bay.

I have considered one myself, but at $180 it's just more money than I'm willing to pay for the functionality. However a few other AVS members have used them and noted good performance in achieving exactly what you're trying to do.

Another item to look for is the HDFury at www.hdfury.com, one of the AVS forum members was the contracted engineer for that product. There is only currently a DVI to RGB/YCrBr version, so I'm not positive it would work without black-crush problems, however an HDMI product is supposed to be in the works.
post #3 of 202 Old 06-07-2007, 10:30 AM

Since Sony Playstation 3 upgrade, I suddenly felt it is necessary to be able to display through HDMI, but my TV is component only.
I ordered the VisionFC4 through ebay, and I got it yesterday.
I only use the video portion, and the signal comes through 1080i ( that is best resolution for my TV), NO PROBLEM what so ever.
I am not be happier.
post #4 of 202 Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strpyw View Post

Since Sony Playstation 3 upgrade, I suddenly felt it is necessary to be able to display through HDMI, but my TV is component only.
I ordered the VisionFC4 through ebay, and I got it yesterday.
I only use the video portion, and the signal comes through 1080i ( that is best resolution for my TV), NO PROBLEM what so ever.
I am not be happier.

What player do you have and what firmware is on it?

I have the VisionFC4 also and will have a XA2 tomorrow. I plan to use it to feed my Toshiba TW65H80 component inputs 1080i. The VisionFC4 works perfectly with my Satellite Receiver (D* H20) at all resolutions.

I will report back to this thread when I have my setup working.

post #5 of 202 Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Well, the FC4 worked when I set up the new XA2 player without any obvious issue.

However, the next thing I did was update the firmware in the XA2 from 1.5 to 1.6 (I need the analog fix). After that, no more VisionFC4 handshaking. You can see the player negotiating as before, but it never locks in and I get no picture from it. My first XA2 had 1.3 and the Vision worked and as stated above, 1.5 worked. 1.6 gives me nada...

Anyone have their VisionFC4 working with an XA2 and firmware 1.6 I'd sure like to hear about it.

post #6 of 202 Old 06-12-2007, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
There currently is a DVI to Component Video converter that is better than the other gadget mentioned and it is only $120.00.Item number: 330129267178 at the bay.
I ordered mine today.
post #7 of 202 Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

There currently is a DVI to Component Video converter that is better than the other gadget mentioned and it is only $120.00.
I ordered mine today.

Link?

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #8 of 202 Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Read my post once again...
post #9 of 202 Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

Well, the FC4 worked when I set up the new XA2 player without any obvious issue.

However, the next thing I did was update the firmware in the XA2 from 1.5 to 1.6 (I need the analog fix). After that, no more VisionFC4 handshaking. You can see the player negotiating as before, but it never locks in and I get no picture from it. My first XA2 had 1.3 and the Vision worked and as stated above, 1.5 worked. 1.6 gives me nada...

Anyone have their VisionFC4 working with an XA2 and firmware 1.6 I'd sure like to hear about it.

Let us know if you get it to work...Could your resolution settings have been messed with after the update? Did you initialize the XA2 afterwards?
post #10 of 202 Old 06-13-2007, 05:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louthewiz View Post

There currently is a DVI to Component Video converter that is better than the other gadget mentioned and it is only $120.00.Item number: 330129267178 at the bay.
I ordered mine today.

That is another model of the same device I have, just has a DVI input instead of an HDMI input. Made by the same company. Hope it works for you though. What do you plan to do, use a HDMI to DVI cable to the box, then to the TV?

post #11 of 202 Old 06-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post

Let us know if you get it to work...Could your resolution settings have been messed with after the update? Did you initialize the XA2 afterwards?

I have not tried again after the 1.6 update and failure. Yes, I initialized the player after the firmware upgrade and my resolution settings are at "up to 1080i."

This is exactly the same symptom I had with the first XA2 I had, so I believe it's the new HDMI compatibility changes in the 1.6 firmware. However, I'd love to be proved wrong by another FC4 owner

post #12 of 202 Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Rooper,

Make sure you get the Vision FC4 model which is HDMI-to-Component. Some of the Ebay postings are misleading by having "HDMI" in the title, but it is the wrong product. The FC4 will cost you about $180 from the company in Florida.

Roger, I have a HD-A2 that will be shipped to me approx June 26, and will likely have Firmware Ver. 1.6, and will be hooking it up to my Pioneer elite PRO-710 via the FC4 converter, so your dilemma is important to me also. Hopefully, someone else can answer your question before I get mine hooked up.

Ray
post #13 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post

Roger, I have a HD-A2 that will be shipped to me approx June 26, and will likely have Firmware Ver. 1.6, and will be hooking it up to my Pioneer elite PRO-710 via the FC4 converter, so your dilemma is important to me also. Hopefully, someone else can answer your question before I get mine hooked up.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks for that. I'd sure like to see this thing work. Please post back to this thread when you have everything in hand and let us know what happens. I don't know if their are differences in the 1.6 firmware (as far as HDMI/HDCP handshaking is concerned) between the various players though.

Hopefully, someone else with an FC4 and firmware 1.6 will post their experience here.

Also, I contacted the seller about this to see if firmware updates might be had for the FC4 device itself (I believe I read about changes made to the device along the way for compatability while I was researching the thing). I'll post any news on that front as well.

In the meantime, the 480P performance of the unit is excellent and of course HD disks will play at 1080i for me so I'm not dead in the water

post #14 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Roger,
I have the FC4 unit on my XA1 with FW 2.2 and it works flawlessly. Maybe your units are no longer in synch and you need to unplug the FC4 and replug it to re-establish synch. Just a thought.

Franzius.
post #15 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzius View Post

Roger,
I have the FC4 unit on my XA1 with FW 2.2 and it works flawlessly. Maybe your units are no longer in synch and you need to unplug the FC4 and replug it to re-establish synch. Just a thought.

Franzius.

So the FC4 will maintain an HDMI handshake, allowing the A2 to upconvert SD DVDs over component?

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #16 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM

Yes.

The FC4 does not have a shutdown button, it's always on. I turn my XA1 on and off as needed and I never have HDMI handshake issues. I am assuming it's the same with other players with HDMI output.
post #17 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 08:48 AM

the FC4 is a very small unit. It measures about 3.8 (L)by 3.5(W) inch by 1.2 (H) inches and weights about 4 to 6 ounces. The power consumption must be very small.

Franzius
post #18 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Roger,

Franzius.

I unplugged the FC4 several times and even unplugged the XA2 trying for a reset on both so sync could start over again. I'm still waiting for a FC4 owner with an XA2 with firmware 1.6 to find this thread and report their experience.

Remember, I had two XA2 units do the same thing. The first worked with the FC4 with firmware 1.3 and failed after the 1.6 update. The 2nd and current unit worked with firmware 1.5, but fails with 1.6. I need the 1.6 update for the analog audio fix or I would have left it at 1.5...

I have also sent an email to the manufacturer of the device as I'm sure I've read that there have been updates to it to deal with certain compatability issues. Time will tell if I can use the device or not.

post #19 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 AM

Roger.

Ok, I get it now. The unit does not seem software upgradeable; for good will sake and to show good customer support, they should offer you an upgraded replacement unit.

On a different topic, I play soccer in a similar league as you just for the fun of it.
post #20 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Roger.

Ok, I get it now. The unit does not seem software upgradeable; for good will sake and to show good customer support, they should offer you an upgraded replacement unit.

On a different topic, I play soccer in a similar league as you just for the fun of it.

That would be nice. The seller has a good reputation, so if a later unit will work, they might be willing to swap out for me.

Soccer? Not following you there...

post #21 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 PM

Re; Soccer, I was alluding to me being in the same age group that u belong to relative to the water skiing activity. Hang in there!

Franzius.
post #22 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
You can try the HDFury and a transcoder (like this one: http://www.crescendo-systems.com/transcoder.html)

I own the HDFury and am waiting for my VGA breakout cable to see how it works...I have high hopes.
post #23 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Re; Soccer, I was alluding to me being in the same age group that u belong to relative to the water skiing activity. Hang in there!

Franzius.

Ahhh, got it. Physically demanding sports are the way to go! Keeps me fit and I like the social side also. I bet soccer is much the same...

Never give up

post #24 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I got the unit and hooked it up with HDMI to my home theater. And it works great, EXCEPT the picture on the output cuts off the far left and top of the picture. Like an 1" or 2" on each side of my 57" TV. I checked it against the component feed, adn the component feed is fine. I even tried a different HDMI cable, and I've conlcuded it's either the unit itself or the VGA to component cable coming out the back Any ideas on how to fix this or where the problem exactly is?
post #25 of 202 Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooper View Post

Okay, so I got the unit and hooked it up with HDMI to my home theater. And it works great, EXCEPT the picture on the output cuts off the far left and top of the picture. Like an 1" or 2" on each side of my 57" TV. I checked it against the component feed, adn the component feed is fine. I even tried a different HDMI cable, and I've conlcuded it's either the unit itself or the VGA to component cable coming out the back Any ideas on how to fix this or where the problem exactly is?

When mine was working (briefly), the picture was centered the same as from the component feed. I have also hooked the unit up to my DirecTV H20 receiver and the picture centering and size are fine there too. I have a Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV with component inputs for HD content.

What player model and firmware version are you running?
Do you have another working HDMI device like a Sat receiver (or another TV) you can try it with?

post #26 of 202 Old 06-15-2007, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Clark View Post

When mine was working (briefly), the picture was centered the same as from the component feed. I have also hooked the unit up to my DirecTV H20 receiver and the picture centering and size are fine there too. I have a Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV with component inputs for HD content.

What player model and firmware version are you running?
Do you have another working HDMI device like a Sat receiver (or another TV) you can try it with?

It's the HD-A2 with latest firmware (1.6 something). I also tried using it with my SA HD8300 box and the same thing happens. I even bypassed my receiver all together and the same thing happens. It's defintely somewhere in the unit/cables. I have a Toshiba 57HX81 RPTV with component inputs
post #27 of 202 Old 06-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooper View Post

It's the HD-A2 with latest firmware (1.6 something). I also tried using it with my SA HD8300 box and the same thing happens. I even bypassed my receiver all together and the same thing happens. It's defintely somewhere in the unit/cables. I have a Toshiba 57HX81 RPTV with component inputs

Well, assuming you have the switch on the FC4 set correctly, your unit is doing something I haven't seen in any postings on the device yet. Your only recourse may be to contact the seller and try another unit.

post #28 of 202 Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Update.

I received an email from the seller today with instructions on modifiing my VisionFC4 to cope with the XA2 and firmware 1.6. It requires opening the unit and cutting a diode (no problem for me, I worked as an electronics technician in an earlier life). He even sent a jpg of the curcuit board with the proper diode highlighted.

I will make the mod and report back on the results here.

post #29 of 202 Old 06-15-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

I also got an e-mail from the seller to see if we can figure out my problem. I'll post any progress made.
post #30 of 202 Old 06-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Roger and Rooper,

Yes, please keep us posted on the FC4 mod. Do you know if this is unique to the Firmware 1.6 version, and why would a signal routing change (cutting the diode trace) is required to fix a SW conflict with 1.6.

Also, does this mod need to be done for HD-A2 owners who have "upgraded" to Ver 1.6 firmware. Will this have any effect on getting full 1080i to the TV after the mod? (not a down rez to 480p, for example).

I am always concerned that Firmware upgrades can sometimes cripple a previously working capability; and with DRM and all the copy protection fud, I just want to make sure that full 1080i Component capability remains with these HD DVD players via a HDMI-to-Component converter like the FC4.

Ray
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page