VERSION 2.0 FIRMWARE FOR THE A2, XA2, A20, A2W, and D2 (Fixes Chroma Bug!) With link - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

Isn't what you're talking about "judder." I have a 1080p projector and have always thought that judder was the cause of this issue.

Judder won't be fixed until we have 1080p24, which is not included in this update.

I am starting to think it is a combination of both judder and dropped frames because on some titles, Planet Earth for example, pans look really bad, while other titles not near as much so. Also I thought my HD-A1 didn't look near as bad as my XA2 on some titles, how is that to be explained other that the XA2 is indeed dropping frames?

Blu-ray and HD DVD supporter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradad View Post

I am starting to think it is a combination of both judder and dropped frames because on some titles, Planet Earth for example, pans look really bad, while other titles not near as much so. Also I thought my HD-A1 didn't look near as bad as my XA2 on some titles, how is that to be explained other that the XA2 is indeed dropping frames?

Is it a reproducible or random issue? I'm guessing it's a 24 Hz issue. Is it possible that some people's displays cause a "hiccup" during hdmi handshakes? Does this issue occur if you switch to component?
Don't be so quick to call your player a piece of crap and curse Toshiba. There are several variables that could be the culprit.

AV Enthusiast
post #183 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Well 2.0 does nothing to fix the issue with the Matrix discs.

Weird thing is I tried loading the damn Matrix Reloaded disc like 10 times on my A20, no go. I put it in my A1, it plays fine, I eject it, put it back in the A20, and it loads. This is the second time that's happened. It has to be some kind of layer-bonding issue.

My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #184 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Someone mentioned that this update helps the skipping issue with CDs, but does it help the player recognize and PLAY CDs? Probably half of the CDs (store bought) that I've inserted in the player either never start playing (display shows 00:00:00) or it says "no disc". I have the HD-A2.

I realize this player isn't primarily a CD player, but in my setup that's one of the major duties it should perform and it has failed miserably at that task. Drives me nuts.

I'd check for myself, but I am waiting for the ISO.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #185 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I just installed v2.0. Now my XA2 won't play this Freedom disc whcih has the HD DVD and DVD layer on the same side. It would play it before but wouldn't download the downloadable content. (I used my 360 add on to test it)Now it won't play the disc at all.
Although I see my A2 is playing the disc. I don't know why my XA2 won't play it

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #186 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM

On my XA2 load time is now about 8 seconds faster, it all seems to be at the end of the boot up where it speeds up as it didn't look like it was going to be any faster and all of a sudden the tray opened and it was ready. Also on all the discs I have tested it has fixed my audio sync issues. I haven't tested any Audio CDs yet to see if it fixed it, but I have gotten in the habit of using another player for audio. I'm happy it fixed those issues. This is two releases in a row that fixed issues for me. Now, I'm just waiting for DTS-MA.

Format Neutral BD-UP5000, JVC XV-BP1, HD-A35, HD-D3, Xbox 360 Add-on

HD DVD: 87
Blu-Ray: 96
post #187 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I just installed v2.0. Now my XA2 won't play this Freedom disc whcih has the HD DVD and DVD layer on the same side. It would play it before but wouldn't download the downloadable content. (I used my 360 add on to test it)Now it won't play the disc at all.

Now my XA2 will play it. Right after the update I tried the disc three times and it wouldn't play it. Now it play it just fine and downloads the the content as well.

post #188 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Somewhere in the player setup there is an option called "format" with HD DVD and DVD as the options. Try changing to one or the other and see if that helps.
post #189 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:31 PM

Hi everyone, I had problems with downloading the 1.6 update directly to my XA-2 and today when I went to download 2.0 I had the same "can not find out server" error message. For the 1.6 update I downloaded the .iso and burned a CD. Since the .iso doesn't appear to be posted for the 2.0 firmware I decided to troubleshoot a little more today and finally got it to work, although I'm still puzzled by what actually fixed the problem.

I noticed that when I had DHCP turned on the IP Address and Subnet Mask would set correctly but the Gateway would be set to 0.0.0.0, which is an invalid address for a Gateway. So question #1 I have for those of you having this problem is does your Gateway get set correctly or do you get 0.0.0.0 like I do? Question #2 is what make and model of router do you have? I have a Netgear WPN824 v2. If we can narrow this problem down to a particular router manufacturer then we can complain to either the router manufacturer or Toshiba or both. I'm inclined to believe it is a Toshiba problem since none of my other 5 devices have any problems picking up the correct Gateway setting when using DHCP.

So I decided to set the DHCP and DNS settings manually. I had tried to do this when I attempted to update to 1.6 directly to the XA2 and it didn't work. I set all of the Ethernet settings, turned off the XA-2, and tried to download the update. Once again I got the "can not find out server" error message. So I went through a whole process of troubleshooting the router and player and found that the player does not reprot a network name to the router. Now this is not strictly necessary for proper TCP/IP connectivity but one would think that a device would report a name since most do. In fact, since the XA-2 didn't give the router a name it was using the cached name of the last device that was given that particular IP Address which was one of my laptops. So I saved the routers configuration and then reset it to the factory settings, and then reloaded the configuration. Now the router correctly showed a "-" in the device name field for the XA-2 rather than the laptop name. So I tried DHCP again with the same results as before. Then I tried setting DHCP to off again and manually configured the Ethernet settings but still received the same error message.

At this point I was getting frustrated. I was able to ping the XA-2's IP Address so I knew it was talking on the network. In desperation I went into the Netgear router setup again and on a weird inspiration turned on RIP and set the RIP version to RIP-1. I really didn't expect anything to be different but I went back to the XA-2 and turned DHCP and DNS, turned of the player, unplugged the player, plugged the player back in, turned it on, and looked at the DHCP and DNS settings. Once again the Gateway was set to 0.0.0.0. Since I had come this far I decided to turn DHCP and DNS off and set them manually...and VOILA!!! Like magic the update downloaded and installed this time!!! No "can not find out server" message.

The confusing thing to me is that RIP should not have made a difference. And it turned out that it hadn't. After the download was complete I turned RIP off on my Netgear router and went through the update process on the XA-2 again. Of course it told me that I had the most up-to-date firmware, which is what I expected, and it did not give me the "can not find out server" message. So I don't know why the update suddenly started working when I turned RIP on but hopefully this gives some of you some hope. And I am really interested in finding out what make and model the routers are that others are having problems with.

One tip for those of you that are turning DHCP and DNS off and setting the Ethernet settings manually. I read in a couple of places in this thread where some of you are directly copying all of the settings from the settings on your PC. That is the correct thing to do for the Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS addresses but the absolutely incorrect thing to do for the IP Address. Each device on a network must have a different IP Address. So if you are using the same one for your XA-2 that your PC has then it will not work.

To figure out which IP Address you should use I recommend turning on DHCP on your player and recording the IP Address that it is given. Then when you turn DHCP off set the IP Address to that same one. If that doesn't work then use one that is high in the range that your router assigns. For example if your PC's IP Address is 192.168.0.5 set your player's address to 192.168.0.230. Just be sure to use a number below 255 as the last number in the four number address. Remember, keep the first three numbers the same as the one on your PC, but set the fourth number to something high, say, above 200 and below 255. The reason I suggest this is that most broadband routers will issue DHCP addresses in the lower ranges first and work up to the higher ranges. Unless you have 200+ devices on your home network (not likely) then odds are very good that no device already has an address in the range I suggested.

- The Axis
post #190 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D View Post

Somewhere in the player setup there is an option called "format" with HD DVD and DVD as the options. Try changing to one or the other and see if that helps.

I don't see that anymore after the 2.0 update.

post #191 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't see that anymore after the 2.0 update.

It's under the "General" tab and is the last option on the list.
post #192 of 682 Old 06-26-2007, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

Actually, I disagree. Not passing BTB is a problem. I'm pretty disappointed that Toshiba hasn't addressed it yet. It is an important part of me being able to properly calibrate the brightness on the display. Granted, you don't generally want to end up seeeing BTB, but it should be transpmitted by the source, and the display should be set to so that it is "lost in black". This is even more important with sets that exhibit slight "floating" black.

Rick

You see it as a problem, I see it as an inconvenience . I definitely wouldn't consider it a defect, it's a perfectly legitimate choice for a manufacturer.
post #193 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxis View Post

Hi everyone, I had problems with downloading the 1.6 update directly to my XA-2 and today when I went to download 2.0 I had the same "can not find out server" error message. For the 1.6 update I downloaded the .iso and burned a CD. Since the .iso doesn't appear to be posted for the 2.0 firmware I decided to troubleshoot a little more today and finally got it to work, although I'm still puzzled by what actually fixed the problem.

I noticed that when I had DHCP turned on the IP Address and Subnet Mask would set correctly but the Gateway would be set to 0.0.0.0, which is an invalid address for a Gateway. So question #1 I have for those of you having this problem is does your Gateway get set correctly or do you get 0.0.0.0 like I do? Question #2 is what make and model of router do you have? I have a Netgear WPN824 v2. If we can narrow this problem down to a particular router manufacturer then we can complain to either the router manufacturer or Toshiba or both. I'm inclined to believe it is a Toshiba problem since none of my other 5 devices have any problems picking up the correct Gateway setting when using DHCP.

So I decided to set the DHCP and DNS settings manually. I had tried to do this when I attempted to update to 1.6 directly to the XA2 and it didn't work. I set all of the Ethernet settings, turned off the XA-2, and tried to download the update. Once again I got the "can not find out server" error message. So I went through a whole process of troubleshooting the router and player and found that the player does not reprot a network name to the router. Now this is not strictly necessary for proper TCP/IP connectivity but one would think that a device would report a name since most do. In fact, since the XA-2 didn't give the router a name it was using the cached name of the last device that was given that particular IP Address which was one of my laptops. So I saved the routers configuration and then reset it to the factory settings, and then reloaded the configuration. Now the router correctly showed a "-" in the device name field for the XA-2 rather than the laptop name. So I tried DHCP again with the same results as before. Then I tried setting DHCP to off again and manually configured the Ethernet settings but still received the same error message.

At this point I was getting frustrated. I was able to ping the XA-2's IP Address so I knew it was talking on the network. In desperation I went into the Netgear router setup again and on a weird inspiration turned on RIP and set the RIP version to RIP-1. I really didn't expect anything to be different but I went back to the XA-2 and turned DHCP and DNS, turned of the player, unplugged the player, plugged the player back in, turned it on, and looked at the DHCP and DNS settings. Once again the Gateway was set to 0.0.0.0. Since I had come this far I decided to turn DHCP and DNS off and set them manually...and VOILA!!! Like magic the update downloaded and installed this time!!! No "can not find out server" message.

The confusing thing to me is that RIP should not have made a difference. And it turned out that it hadn't. After the download was complete I turned RIP off on my Netgear router and went through the update process on the XA-2 again. Of course it told me that I had the most up-to-date firmware, which is what I expected, and it did not give me the "can not find out server" message. So I don't know why the update suddenly started working when I turned RIP on but hopefully this gives some of you some hope. And I am really interested in finding out what make and model the routers are that others are having problems with.

One tip for those of you that are turning DHCP and DNS off and setting the Ethernet settings manually. I read in a couple of places in this thread where some of you are directly copying all of the settings from the settings on your PC. That is the correct thing to do for the Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS addresses but the absolutely incorrect thing to do for the IP Address. Each device on a network must have a different IP Address. So if you are using the same one for your XA-2 that your PC has then it will not work.

To figure out which IP Address you should use I recommend turning on DHCP on your player and recording the IP Address that it is given. Then when you turn DHCP off set the IP Address to that same one. If that doesn't work then use one that is high in the range that your router assigns. For example if your PC's IP Address is 192.168.0.5 set your player's address to 192.168.0.230. Just be sure to use a number below 255 as the last number in the four number address. Remember, keep the first three numbers the same as the one on your PC, but set the fourth number to something high, say, above 200 and below 255. The reason I suggest this is that most broadband routers will issue DHCP addresses in the lower ranges first and work up to the higher ranges. Unless you have 200+ devices on your home network (not likely) then odds are very good that no device already has an address in the range I suggested.

- The Axis

Thanks for your detailed comments - My router is a D-Link 504. I don't just get 0.0.0.0 for Gateway, I get it for everything if DHCP is turned on. I've tried the hard reset that people have mentioned, and also the initialisation option, both didn't work.

So I thought I'd try setting RIP to on. It gave me the option of V1, V2 or Both, so I've been trying it on Both. I've also tried setting the DNS to the number you recommended. Still not working I'm afraid Surely, it shouldn't be this hard to set up. Why hasn't Toshiba got some sort of connection test in the menus so we could see what's going on? Anyways. Back to the drawing board.
post #194 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 02:33 AM
Advanced Member

I had to ring my ISP to find out there DNS server address. You won't be able to find it on your PC. After that it worked fine
post #195 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradad View Post

Watched the Rainforest episode with fw2 in XE1(XA2) and got the impression that the judder is far less now.

Much of the content in PE is probably shot at 50Hz frame rates.
The conversion to a 24 or 60p format might induce judder because frames get dropped in the conversion process. If that's the case there is nothing a player can do about that.

I suspect the judder we observe is always the result of dropped frames or cadence errors during deinterlacing. I can't understand why extreme cases of judder during slow pans with a correct 3:2 cadance should be that noticeable. At 60p aaabbcccddeeeff should look just as smooth as 24p.

Looks like something got fixed in this firmware that resulted in a much smoother image.
post #196 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

Someone mentioned that this update helps the skipping issue with CDs, but does it help the player recognize and PLAY CDs? Probably half of the CDs (store bought) that I've inserted in the player either never start playing (display shows 00:00:00) or it says "no disc". I have the HD-A2.

I realize this player isn't primarily a CD player, but in my setup that's one of the major duties it should perform and it has failed miserably at that task. Drives me nuts.

Didn't you return the player under warranty? Looks like a defect in the optical drive assembly.
post #197 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCooper View Post

I had to ring my ISP to find out there DNS server address. You won't be able to find it on your PC. After that it worked fine

My DSL router tells me my DNS server address.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #198 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCooper View Post

On a windows box, in a command terminal:

Code:
ipconfig /all

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #199 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 06:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

My DSL router tells me my DNS server address.

same here, but I use my router address for my DNS server address.

post #200 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The load time from closing the tray to seeing the FBI warning logo on screen is much shorter, only 17 seconds i clocked, and from that to the image of the studio logo was less than 30 second. With the exception that sometimes I get the colorful snowy distortion for about 3 to 5 second when I switch to the DVI input that the A2 is connected everything with the 2.0 firmware update works wonderful. The picture of the HD DVD movies are awesome!
post #201 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484 View Post

I had the same problem.
I have the iso 1.6. The CD,s weren't recognized, or didn't play.

I went into setup, then maintenance, and initialized. CD's are playing find now.
post #202 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schandorsky View Post

I had the same problem.
I have the iso 1.6. The CD,s weren't recognized, or didn't play.

I went into setup, then maintenance, and initialized. CD's are playing find now.

Did you initialize with 1.6, or with the new 2.0 to fix the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

Didn't you return the player under warranty? Looks like a defect in the optical drive assembly.

I didn't, since many of the responses I got at that time were related to the skipping problem. The skipping problem doesn't occur at all through the analog outs, which would indicate to me the optical drive isn't at fault (though I could be wrong).

I will update to 2.0 ASAP, and if initializing under the new FW doesn't fix it, I will exchange the unit.

Trent

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #203 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 07:49 AM

I have 1.6 on my HD A2 now, I am waiting for 2.0 iso. I initialized the 1.6, also I am using the analog outputs.
post #204 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

Well 2.0 does nothing to fix the issue with the Matrix discs.

Weird thing is I tried loading the damn Matrix Reloaded disc like 10 times on my A20, no go. I put it in my A1, it plays fine, I eject it, put it back in the A20, and it loads. This is the second time that's happened. It has to be some kind of layer-bonding issue.

I had a problem playing "Matrix Revolutions" on my A2 player (maybe the player didn't like this movie ), so I went to the SETUP menu, and pressed GENERAL, then went to the Twin Format Disc menu and hit DVD (instead of HD-DVD), and it finally played the disc with no problem...always check that first if your player won't play a certain disc.

Please note, the Twin Format Disc menu doesn't appear if you have a disc already loaded.

Supporter of 3-D, so let's all play in harmony!
post #205 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 08:37 AM

After downloading the upgrade for 30 minutes (while the number was at 36), it stopped, and gave me the dreaded "can't find etc., etc.." So I downloaded it again, and it finally finished...checked the "Maintenance" menu for the Update number, and it read 2.0/T22M. Put on "Breach" and it looked much more sharper than before.

In conclusion, if you have problems downloading the new upgrade, keep trying. Twice, I kept getting "can't find..." before it downloaded the upgrade.

Supporter of 3-D, so let's all play in harmony!
post #206 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 09:46 AM

Just finished the update and all I can say is WOOOOOOW!!!! I did record all my settings for audio and video and "initialzed". It only takes a second. Watched MI3, my wife thought I bought something new.
post #207 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 09:48 AM

Lucky you, P. Anthony, I just got the update after the 11th try. It drove me nuts, 10 times it aborted at part 36 or 37. Took me a full afternoon, but finally I got it!
post #208 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINIGUY View Post

Just finished the update and all I can say is WOOOOOOW!!!! I did record all my settings for audio and video and "initialzed". It only takes a second. Watched MI3, my wife thought I bought something new.

Finally got mine updated too. had to hook the XA2 up to my computer monitor and directly to the router. Which is Netgear GW614 I believe. something like that. When I turned DHCP on and saw the IP address as ...4, I was hopeful. And it updated flawlessly the first time. So, if they do not mess anything up next time, I know what to do. Initialized and then ran through HD-DVE once to set and picture looks very nice on Sony GW2 RPLCD. FBI screen loads in about 19 seconds.
post #209 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Come-on Toshiba Canada -- bring on the ISO!
post #210 of 682 Old 06-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

You see it as a problem, I see it as an inconvenience . I definitely wouldn't consider it a defect, it's a perfectly legitimate choice for a manufacturer.

Based on your response, I think I"ll email Toshiba (again) and ask if they plan to fix the improper color space issue with HDMI --> DVI. I've also been looking at the Sony S300. It offers both the selectable color space, as well as brightness and contrast controls on the player.

If Toshiba isn't going to address this issue, the S300 is a viable alternative, though it lacks the upscaling quality of the XA2, it sounds like it matches the A2 upscaling.

Thanks
Rick
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page