Anyone having issues with WEINSTEIN HD-DVD's after uploading to Fimware 2.0 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 45 Old 06-30-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone having issues with WEINSTEIN HD-DVD's after uploading to Fimware 2.0 ?

I have a Toshiba XE1 (European model - the same as the XA2) and since uploading to Firmware 2.0 both "THE MATADOR" and "DERAILED" play for about 30 mins and then start to pixelate and the picture seems to completely break-up. Scanning back or going back a Chapter seems to get it working again only for the same damn thing to happen again in 30 mins time. I have a couple of other WEINSTEIN titles (Lucky Number Slevin etc etc) but haven't tried them yet. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks, M.J.

M.J.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 06-30-2007, 06:55 PM

I wish they'd release something I could check with.
post #3 of 45 Old 06-30-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJeeves View Post

Anyone having issues with WEINSTEIN HD-DVD's after uploading to Fimware 2.0 ?

I have a Toshiba XE1 (European model - the same as the XA2) and since uploading to Firmware 2.0 both "THE MATADOR" and "DERAILED" play for about 30 mins and then start to pixelate and the picture seems to completely break-up. Scanning back or going back a Chapter seems to get it working again only for the same damn thing to happen again in 30 mins time. I have a couple of other WEINSTEIN titles (Lucky Number Slevin etc etc) but haven't tried them yet. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks, M.J.

I was just watching Derailed last night and wondering what was going on. I thought it was because it was a Netflix rental and maybe the disc was bad. I can't comment on 2.0 firmware or Weinstein titles because this is the only Weinstein I've watched and I had already upgraded to 2.0.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
post #4 of 45 Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Yes I have the same issue. Me and my friends just watched Wolf Creek and the screen just went pixelated after half an hour each and every time for some weird reason.

Glad to see that I'm not the only one.
post #5 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Should we let TOSHIBA know about this ? If so, how ?

M.J.
post #6 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 05:57 AM

This happened only after the upgrade to 2.0?
What issues is the 2.0 upgrade supposed to address?
I'm asking because my X A2 arrives tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should hold off on the upgrade for now.
post #7 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealAudiophobe View Post

This happened only after the upgrade to 2.0?
What issues is the 2.0 upgrade supposed to address?
I'm asking because my X A2 arrives tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should hold off on the upgrade for now.

I can't say for sure, but for me, the fact that 2.0 fixes CUE outweighs this issue. I've only had it happen on one disc, and it is easily worked around by going to the menu and starting the chapter over. Annoying, but not as much as CUE.

post #8 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 10:59 AM

I have an XA1 with 2.2, and "The Matador" takes about 4-5 minutes to "boot". I am not sure what the hell is going on, but it happens every time. The player will sit and become non-responsive. Then a few minutes later, the menu comes up and everything is fine.

I have no other Weinstein discs to check if this is related to their players or not.

Robert
post #9 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoX View Post

I have an XA1 with 2.2, and "The Matador" takes about 4-5 minutes to "boot". I am not sure what the hell is going on, but it happens every time. The player will sit and become non-responsive. Then a few minutes later, the menu comes up and everything is fine.

I have no other Weinstein discs to check if this is related to their players or not.

Nice to see that Tosh is performing business as usual and using us as unpaid beta testers.

HD DVD: 67
Blu-ray: 140
post #10 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
This happen to me on Wolfcreek on Fridat nite, and Pulse lastt nite.
post #11 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is a known problem with this disk and the first gen players and has nothing to do with the firmware, this was a issue even before firmware 2.2 was released.
post #12 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

I have an A2 and I tested Lucky Number SLevin last night for about one minute for each chapter and it played fine.
post #13 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nics1246 View Post

I have an A2 and I tested Lucky Number SLevin last night for about one minute for each chapter and it played fine.

Yes, I watched "LUCKY NUMBER SLEVIN" tonight. It played fine.
So, not all Weinstein HD-DVD's are affected, just some.

I will call TOSHIBA UK tomorrow to report the issue and maybe they can fix it.
Anyone else have problems with Weinstein discs after the 2.0 firmware update ?

M.J.
post #14 of 45 Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traelin View Post

Nice to see that Tosh is performing business as usual and using us as unpaid beta testers.

Considering it isn't happening on any other discs, I'm thinking it is an authoring issue and not Toshiba's. As far as being a beta tester, get used to it. Everything is beta these days.

My Panny S97 needed regular firmware updates, and the macroblocking was never resolved, my JVC DILA needed the light engine replaced twice, not to mention I go through a lamp once a year. How many updates have there been for the Xbox 360, plus game updates? The included scaler on the new Onkyo 605 is clearly not ready for release, so much so they hid the menu for it. I've had the builder of my new house back 3 times to correct mistakes, and my car has had its EMU replaced twice.

Everything is beta.

post #15 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 02:07 AM

Same problem for me with Clerks II after the firmware 2.0 update. Every 30 minutes or so pixelation starts - which resolves if I stop or skip back to the start of the chapter. Kind of a pain. I hope this gets resolved soon.
post #16 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

For those with problems - are you running at 1080 or 720 from the player itself?

Cheers,
Paul Cordingley
post #17 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cordingley View Post

For those with problems - are you running at 1080 or 720 from the player itself?

I'm running at 720p from a European model (Toshiba XE1) with the latest firmware (2.0). Thanks.

M.J.
post #18 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesaint View Post

Considering it isn't happening on any other discs, I'm thinking it is an authoring issue and not Toshiba's. As far as being a beta tester, get used to it. Everything is beta these days.

My Panny S97 needed regular firmware updates, and the macroblocking was never resolved, my JVC DILA needed the light engine replaced twice, not to mention I go through a lamp once a year. How many updates have there been for the Xbox 360, plus game updates? The included scaler on the new Onkyo 605 is clearly not ready for release, so much so they hid the menu for it. I've had the builder of my new house back 3 times to correct mistakes, and my car has had its EMU replaced twice.

Everything is beta.

It's not an authoring issue if it worked fine prior to the FW update. As for everything being beta, I think that's a bit of hyperbole, but it still doesn't excuse the awful process of passing the buck onto the consumer. It's a good thing Tosh doesn't build cars...I wouldn't like to be the one beta-testing my brakes.

post #19 of 45 Old 07-02-2007, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am getting my A2 back tonight as it is being replaced by Toshiba. I don't know what firmware version it will come with. I assume it won't be the latest. I will try a Weinstein title out before doing the update then again after. May be a few days before I post back about this.

I have Clerks 2 and The Matador from Amazon which I have not even opened yet. I will probably try C2.

So from what I gather from this thread, I need to let it play for at least a half hour to most likely see the problem. Correct?
post #20 of 45 Old 07-06-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I got a replacement A2 from Toshiba on Monday. It arrived with firmware 1.3. I watched the first hour of Clerks 2 and it played perfectly. On Wednesday, I updated to 2.0 and watched the rest of Clerks 2. About a half hour into it, it got a weird pixelated effect. I tried pausing/unpausing and didn't fix it. I then hit rewind for a few seconds and everything was fine for the rest of the movie.

So I definitely think it is a 2.0 issue.

I will call Toshiba to let them know. Everyone please do the same.

Toshiba Customer Service:
1-800-631-3811
post #21 of 45 Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchuckp View Post

I got a replacement A2 from Toshiba on Monday. It arrived with firmware 1.3. I watched the first hour of Clerks 2 and it played perfectly. On Wednesday, I updated to 2.0 and watched the rest of Clerks 2. About a half hour into it, it got a weird pixelated effect. I tried pausing/unpausing and didn't fix it. I then hit rewind for a few seconds and everything was fine for the rest of the movie.

So I definitely think it is a 2.0 issue.

I will call Toshiba to let them know. Everyone please do the same.

1-800-631-3811

I agree!

Please people lets let Toshiba know about this so they can do something about it next firmware update.

1-800-631-3811

M.J.
post #22 of 45 Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I had the same problem with Clerks 2 on Sunday, I tried cleaning the disk and then air dusting the drive to only have the same problem in twenty minutes, finally I just scanned back a little and back up but was really f'n annoying. I was wondering if it had something to do with the AVC encode.
post #23 of 45 Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Wow, that is slow.

The Matador (which, by the way, is a GREAT movie) is my slowest loading HD DVD, but not 4-5 minutes...

My other Weinsteins (Clerks II, Lucky Number Slevin, and Feast) all play just fine and do not load unusually slowly.
post #24 of 45 Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashFan View Post

Wow, that is slow.

The Matador (which, by the way, is a GREAT movie) is my slowest loading HD DVD, but not 4-5 minutes...

It's because it's a ---1 player. Matador just takes this long on first-gen players; it's the same on my HD-D1. It works fine once it's loaded... and though 4 minutes sucks, it's still better than that video of Pirates loading on a first-gen Blu-Ray player.
post #25 of 45 Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
My copy of Harsh Times locked up with error 0x81000c03 on my HD-A1 FW2.3 last night. Wondering if the disc is hosed or if its a firmware issue.
post #26 of 45 Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nics1246 View Post

Lucky # Slevin works fine for me on my 2.2 XA-1, but I can't get The Matador to load at all. Just goes blank. My XA-1 says "play" on the front panel.

Calling Toshiba on Monday.
post #27 of 45 Old 07-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Its stories like these that make me hesitant to even update the FW, even though I personally have not experienced any problems with 2.0.
post #28 of 45 Old 07-19-2007, 03:37 PM

I have the same problem watching Clerks 2 on the A2.
post #29 of 45 Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well in the age of firmware updates, people seem to accept this now.

Quote:

Its stories like these that make me hesitant to even update the FW...

It's stories like these that make me want to wait for the 3rd or 4th gen players. Reading about Toshiba HD-DVD players brings me back to the early days of DVD, or more specifically 1st, 2nd, etc, gen Toshiba DVD players.

M
post #30 of 45 Old 07-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk View Post

Well in the age of firmware updates, people seem to accept this now.

It's stories like these that make me want to wait for the 3rd or 4th gen players. Reading about Toshiba HD-DVD players brings me back to the early days of DVD, or more specifically 1st, 2nd, etc, gen Toshiba DVD players.

M

If Tosh was on their 10th gen HD DVD player, I still wouldn't buy it. I'll wait for another CE manufacturer or dual player as my second HD DVD player.

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page