downloaded the update to the player works great no problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
D/L'd as well to my A1 - seemded to d/l a bit faster, arnd 40 mins. Went through the normal (reboot, etc).No problems - works fine. However, not sure what it fixes either.
post #93 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Trevor.... I hadn't brushed up on my details, so I think that my reply to you in here in regards to DTS-HD MA decoding on HD DVD players specifically was a erroneous.

On HD DVD THD and DTS MA have the same max bandwidth... it's max on BR is higher and thus the requirements for BR players and receiver decoding are higher.

Thanks for the update !

That would suggest HD DVD player hardware dynamically programmable for DD-THD decoding could also potentially support DTS-HD MA decoding. Which would suggest it probably just comes down to either a choice by Toshiba (Yea Vs Nay), or simple prioritization.

Given everything else going down in Toshiba-land, I can easily see such an optional capability landing well down on the priority list.

Thanks again!

-- Trevor
post #94 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

I did some further poking around and have confirmed that it does not correct the BTB issue. Bummer.
post #95 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Anybody here know the current status of CUE and ICP with our players?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ug-4-2001.html

Thanks -- Trevor

PS. Given release 2.0 has corrected the A2's CUE problem, it's possible one of the firmware updates since Secret's benched the A1 has corrected chroma issues for the G1 players as well. Has anyone investigated this?
post #96 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Liked: 13
I just tried to to update my player to 2.3.. and I get, cannot find out server...anyone have any idea whats up? never had any problems before..
post #97 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Given everything else going down in Toshiba-land, I can easily see such an optional capability landing well down on the priority list.

Thanks again!

-- Trevor

Or a licensing agreement... Dolby's license is pretty flexible, DTS' may not be, and might require a royalty for DTS-HD MA decoding... we'll see soon enough.
post #98 of 598 Old 07-04-2007, 09:36 PM

Updated to 2.3 using the Ethernet port and everything works great. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (SD) never looked better.
CD's and burned CD's still play ok. Blood Diamond should arrive tomorrow.

-Byrd
post #99 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

The firmware *could* have changed some of the readability settings of the drive's laser. Regardless, sticking with Made In Singapore Verbatim dual layer discs is the best way to ensure the best compatibility. You are risking it with any other brand.

Hmmm ... let me see ... Ritek disks with HD content stutter on firmware V2.2 the 1st 5-6 minutes ... solution: buy expensive Verbatims? No! See post of nakedeye, he also uses Verbatim and experience the stutter problem. Other solution: downgrade to V2.0 and now the (cheap) Ritek disks play 100% perfectly fine at no extra costs at all ! The conclusion is pretty simple don't you think ...
post #100 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by evdberg View Post

Hmmm ... let me see ... Ritek disks with HD content stutter on firmware V2.2 the 1st 5-6 minutes ... solution: buy expensive Verbatims? No! See post of nakedeye, he also uses Verbatim and experience the stutter problem. Other solution: downgrade to V2.0 and now the (cheap) Ritek disks play 100% perfectly fine at no extra costs at all ! The conclusion is pretty simple don't you think ...

Ritek discs will always burn with more errors than Verbatims. More errors = better chance of stuttering.

If one is burning HD material on SD discs, they are pushing the boundaries of what the player is designed to do. Hence, the apparent spotty support with some firmwares. I'd rather err on the side of best disc compatibiltiy.
post #101 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 05:43 AM

^^^ No matter if you use Verbatim, you still will have stuttering with firmwares higher than V2.0.

HD content on DVD media is written in the HD-DVD specs, so the player should support it ... and the HD-A1 also did up to V2.0 firmware. Anyway, I hope that Toshiba will fix it in a next firmware release, although I doubt if they will if nobody reports this issue.
post #102 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM

Does 2.3 fix the annoying "clunk, clunk" noise that's there when playing SD-DVDs with 2.1 or 2.2? I downgraded to 2.0 for this reason alone.

Sverre
post #103 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Just did it... Now I will try and see what is different...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #104 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what muxrate means (I'm familiar with DVD bitstream rate, but 20MB/s sounds awfully high for normal DVD, I seem to remember something closer to 10 or less being normal). If muxrate (multiplexed bit rate?) means the same thing, then 20Mb/s suggests you are not making SD DVD's -- Are these homemade HD DVD's on DVD blanks?

Well it should not matter. If you dont go over the spec for hd dvd mpeg2 (what is ti 30 or so?) it should make no difference.

Plus why would i drop from teh 25 my camcorder sends out, and have to do a lenghty re encode and drop pq???
post #105 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I updated last night via the Ethernet port and everything went fine. I watched NIN in TrueHD and played through all the way with no stutters. Will do some more testing when I get home. Just waiting on my Blood Diamond so I can test out the new web features.
post #106 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Updated my A1 last night via ethernet. Started the update process and went to see Die Hard, and the update was done by the time I got home. Turned on the player, and it seemed to boot up a bit faster than with 2.2. I can't comment on anything besides 2.2, as that's what was loaded when I got the player. Will try my HDMI connection tonight to see if it fixes it (HDMI would cut out after about 5 minutes of video for whatever reason, HDMI ERROR 1 displays on the player). Thanks!
post #107 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samundsen View Post

Does 2.3 fix the annoying "clunk, clunk" noise that's there when playing SD-DVDs with 2.1 or 2.2? I downgraded to 2.0 for this reason alone.

I haven't heard that and most discs I play are SD. (2.2 on an HDV5000)
post #108 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedeye View Post

Well it should not matter. If you dont go over the spec for hd dvd mpeg2 (what is ti 30 or so?) it should make no difference.

Plus why would i drop from teh 25 my camcorder sends out, and have to do a lenghty re encode and drop pq???

I didn't make a judgement -- I asked a question of the person who replied to my post. I don't know why you should do anything at all!
post #109 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samundsen View Post

I just upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3 and the clunking noise is still present though I think it may be a little less. Still there though. I have to roll back to 2.0 to git rid of that noise.

Moe
post #110 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaver1 View Post

I just tried to to update my player to 2.3.. and I get, cannot find out server...anyone have any idea whats up? never had any problems before..

Not sure how you might have your Tosh connected to the internet but for myself I only run the cable over to my router when I know an update is available...IOW it's normally not connected up. I discovered that connecting up the cable AFTER you turn on the player will result in getting this message. If you first connect the cable THEN turn on your player it connects properly. The message apparently means that the player sees no internet connection...at least that was true for me and my set up.
post #111 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't heard that and most discs I play are SD. (2.2 on an HDV5000)

I have never heard it either but it seems a lot have it. I almost never watch SD DVD on mine anyway.
post #112 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipplemeyer View Post

I just upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3 and the clunking noise is still present though I think it may be a little less. Still there though. I have to roll back to 2.0 to git rid of that noise.

Moe

When does that sound appear? Is it just certain times, or all the time?
post #113 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I have never heard it either but it seems a lot have it. I almost never watch SD DVD on mine anyway.

I like it for SD since the background analog video noise is ultra low and it gives upscaling via HDMI. The 480i component outputs are perfect for external scaling to a projector (destroys my Denon 2900.)
post #114 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

When does that sound appear? Is it just certain times, or all the time?

The grinding sound is apparent from time to time. When I watch Seinfeld DVDs I can here the clunking noise on both my A1 and XA1.

2010 - In Jimbo I Trust. Go Noles!
2010 - If we had a real QB, the West is Ours. Go Niners!
post #115 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I updated last night via the Ethernet port and everything went fine. I watched NIN in TrueHD and played through all the way with no stutters. Will do some more testing when I get home. Just waiting on my Blood Diamond so I can test out the new web features.

I have FW 2.2 on my XA1, and was going to wait on 2.3 for more user reports.

BUT my Blood Diamond arrived this afternoon. I thought I'd fire it up to see if the Web features worked. Well, the disc doesn't load at all.

First try, the XA1 took forever to load, and identified it as a CD. Ejected, tried again, and got ERROR message. Third try - "No Play".

Downloading the ISO now, and digging around to see if I still have a CD-R around somewhere.
post #116 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, guess that answers the question of how compatible Blood Diamond is with the original website interactivity support (circa 2.2). Sounds like 2.3 is critical!
post #117 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 03:45 PM

i just finished the update to 2.3 but i had no trouble at all playing Blood Diamond, or using the web features with 2.2 over the weekend.
post #118 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static14 View Post

i just finished the update to 2.3 but i had no trouble at all playing Blood Diamond, or using the web features with 2.2 over the weekend.

Fascinating! That was what I had been expecting to be pretty much the case. Oh, well -- I give up!
post #119 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Download version 2.3 this morning on X1A , take about 25min. Everything seems to be working fine, played one HDDVD for 15-20 min., it was OK, didn't see any difference!
post #120 of 598 Old 07-05-2007, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Or a licensing agreement... Dolby's license is pretty flexible, DTS' may not be, and might require a royalty for DTS-HD MA decoding... we'll see soon enough.

You may have seen this, it's from the insider thread. Makes it sound like DTS-HD MA should be very doable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

Hi Amir
Is there a reason that european studios tend to use DTS-HD MA but north american studios (except Fox) tend to use Dolby TrueHD?
other than Dolby TrueHD being mandatory on all HD DVD players; is there any other reason (such as financial matters) that TrueHD is always chosen over DTS-HD MA?

I don't have an exact answer for you. The main factor I have found is that DTS has done a better job getting the european post houses to use their encoder. So they start with a bias of wanting to use DTS (See Rich's comments regarding his title and why he likes DTS). Second reason is probably more valid in that DTS lossless generates both streams for you: lossy and lossless. And more importantly, the total package uses less bandwidth than TrueHD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post

Why didn't DVD Forum make DTS-HD Ma mandatory as well? (which is surprising since they made almost every advanced codec/feature mandatory)

At the time, it was understood that these codecs would all cost extra. So there was a big fight over making them mandatory and for a while, it looked like neither was going to pass. Then Warner and Disney blew a fuse and CE companies relented . Fast forward 3 years later, and both lossless codecs are free if you implement the base lossy codec. Had they made the offer then, they would both be mandatory.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10945613
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page