post #181 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjas View Post

So is this a recommended download for those of us that have the HD-A1? I'm not having problems with my player now but I would like faster boot times. What say you?

my boot up time (power button to open tray) went down by about 10 seconds or so. Not a massive timesaver or anything. Don't know of any other real benefits to the player itself so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 PM

I got the same problem when I loaded 2.3 as I did with 2.2. Player slows down to a crawl and gives me HDMI errors. I just don't get it. Everything is good with 2.0 with a couple of hiccups on some movies and the regular slow boot up times. Just can't leave the 2.0 zone!
post #183 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Like several other posters in the sticky 2.2 firmware thread (see post #96), I had HDMI sync issues when I upgraded to 2.2 and had to return to 2.0. Does anyone know if this problem is resolved with 2.3?

Marcus
post #184 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

One nice surprise with 2.3 - Now when you change the resolution while watching an HD DVD it nearly instantly restarts play at the FBI screen. Before it went through a lengthy reinitialization of the disc as though it was just loaded in the drive.

Cory
post #185 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrimes View Post

Like several other posters in the sticky 2.2 firmware thread (see post #96), I had HDMI sync issues when I upgraded to 2.2 and had to return to 2.0. Does anyone know if this problem is resolved with 2.3?

I had opposite happen, HDMI issues w/2.1 that was cured by 2.2, initial startup after 2.3 upgrade presented what I thought would be a rerun of 2.1 but after power toggle of TV & an initialization of player no other sync issues occurred.
The bonus of 2.3 is a much quicker boot, load & reload times, tolerable now plus no laser scratching w/SD DVD's. As far as technical aspects I can't speak for, I don't what half are and no ability to test for & my Sony HDTV doesn't display what rez it's actually getting.

So far no problems since upgrade even w/rentals skipping around chapters used to cause slow-downs & freezeups, not anymore since 2.2.

Harmony 880 is "system/person friendly"
post #186 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Anyone here using a Samsung HLN series DLP HDTV with an Toshiba HD-A1 via HDMI-DVI converter?

My Samsung HLN5065W was working with my HD-A1 great on 2.0 but now with the firmware version 2.1, 2.2 and now 2.3 I get the dreaded NO HDMI LINK error right before the disc initializes.

I'd like to see if anyone else with similar hardware is also having these issues.

Thanks,
Arp-

I am NOT fat, my aspect ratio is just set wrong....

-=[Arpeggio]=-
post #187 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma ghia View Post

plus no laser scratching w/SD DVD's.

Did I miss something? What is laser scratching?

Stace
post #188 of 598 Old 07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing he means the grinding noise? I still get it after 2.3, it almost sounds as if the player is buffering the disc or something.

Be a fan of displays, not companies or technologies!
post #189 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 08:51 AM

I know this is a stupid question, but I've been trying to upgrade my A1 for months and have never had any luck. I've burned the ISO's to disc (and I know I did it the right way) but I either get a "this disc is not a dvd" error or it just spins and shuts down.

I tried connecting my cable modem directly to the player, but it won't auto-detect any of the settings. Can anyone tell me what numbers I should enter to get the firmware upgrade to work and where I can find the numbers for my connection? I've tried everything I can think of and it's just been wasting time and discs. I'm hesitant to even buy new HD DVDs because I'm afraid they won't play on my old firmware (I think I'm on 1.4).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
post #190 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post

Anyone here using a Samsung HLN series DLP HDTV with an Toshiba HD-A1 via HDMI-DVI converter?

My Samsung HLN5065W was working with my HD-A1 great on 2.0 but now with the firmware version 2.1, 2.2 and now 2.3 I get the dreaded NO HDMI LINK error right before the disc initializes.

I'd like to see if anyone else with similar hardware is also having these issues.

Thanks,
Arp-

Hmmm not sure if this is of any help, but I have a HLN437 and I'm going from the HDA1 to my Marantz 4001 first via hdmi, then from the 4001 to the display via hdmi-dvi. I've not had any handshake errors since 2.3 (or before).
post #191 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

I know this is a stupid question, but I've been trying to upgrade my A1 for months and have never had any luck. I've burned the ISO's to disc (and I know I did it the right way) but I either get a "this disc is not a dvd" error or it just spins and shuts down.

I tried connecting my cable modem directly to the player, but it won't auto-detect any of the settings. Can anyone tell me what numbers I should enter to get the firmware upgrade to work and where I can find the numbers for my connection? I've tried everything I can think of and it's just been wasting time and discs. I'm hesitant to even buy new HD DVDs because I'm afraid they won't play on my old firmware (I think I'm on 1.4).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

First. Are you burning the image to a DVD or a CD? You need to burn it to a CD-R disc not a DVD.

Second. You need to turn on DHCP AND DNS. You THEN have to hit the confirm button (make sure "confirm" is highlighted in yellow), then hit OK. The next thing to do is shut off the player (very important) after exiting out of the setup screens completely. When you turn it back on it should work over the ethernet connection.

Hope this helps!

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #192 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFC5 View Post

First. Are you burning the image to a DVD or a CD? You need to burn it to a CD-R disc not a DVD.

Second. You need to turn on DHCP AND DNS. You THEN have to hit the confirm button (make sure "confirm" is highlighted in yellow), then hit OK. The next thing to do is shut off the player (very important) after exiting out of the setup screens completely. When you turn it back on it should work over the ethernet connection.

Hope this helps!

I first tried burning the image onto a CD-R. I tried several times at different speeds and every time it gave me the "disc is not a DVD" error. I then tried it to a DVD but that didn't work either.

I did enable DHCP and DNS, but I might not have shut down the player. I'll try that shortly and will post the results. Thanks for the help! =)
post #193 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I first tried burning the image onto a CD-R. I tried several times at different speeds and every time it gave me the "disc is not a DVD" error. I then tried it to a DVD but that didn't work either.

If your software has the option, you need to "FINALIZE" the disc.
post #194 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did enable DHCP and DNS, but I might not have shut down the player. I'll try that shortly and will post the results. Thanks for the help! =)

Many people hit that error because instead of burning an ISO image (something very very specific) they are burning a file. My guess is you are burning the wrong thing onto the CD-R. (If you can look at the content of the disc from Windows after burning, then you definitely burned the wrong thing!)

If you CAN'T look at the content of the disc after burning, then you probably have the right thing, but you have either used an incompatible burning program, or as mentioned above, you didn't "finalize" the disc.
post #195 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point Trevor. CRFTony needs to burn it AS AN IMAGE via that specific command (BURN IMAGE) inside the burning program.

Nice catch!

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

HT Gear list HERE
post #196 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I haven't been able to burn the iso disc either. I have been trying to use MagicISO and it gives me an error message.
post #197 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

DL'd 2.3 from Tosh, updated to 2.3 completed......

I find it odd that some folks have shaved off boot times, some almost in 1/2, it seems to me like it takes as long or LONGER after 2.0.
1min eject-open(eject as the turn on), about 45 seconds or so to load....

I see something strange here, when you initialise, it ALWAYS defaults to component out, but when I go into setup I have squiggly/rolling(before resetting to HDMI)... WHEN I ONLY HAVE HDMI hooked up!!
I shouldn't see ANYTHING at all on my PJ(AX100U), yet I do...... I can't do anything, but I shouldn't see anything, period.
Never saw this B4 2.3.... weird.

Everything else SEEMS the same so far, gonna go watch something.

I want MY Cigarettes, MINE Nurse Ratched!!
Screen Pics
post #198 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I updated my RCA player a last week, I believe. From RCA's 2.0 to Toshiba's 2.3 firmware. Now I have the Toshiba splash screen. Anyways no problems with it so far!
post #199 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 07:16 PM

I noticed one negative change going from 2.2 to 2.3. Now homemade DVD -R's no longer are recognized as DVD's in my player. I can only successfully play DVD +R's. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just to be clear, I re-initialized and restarted the player after upgrading to 2.3.
post #200 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post

I noticed one negative change going from 2.2 to 2.3. Now homemade DVD -R's no longer are recognized as DVD's in my player. I can only successfully play DVD +R's. Has anyone else experienced this?

Just to be clear, I re-initialized and restarted the player after upgrading to 2.3.

My DVD-R's play fine. I have a few Demo DVD's and they play just fine on my RCA. I don't use + R's so I can't comment on them!
post #201 of 598 Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

I certainly do when using the broken builtin center test tone. BTW the LFE test tone is broken also.

But no problems when using disc based test tones from Avia, DVE or THX Optimzer. It has been working just fine on my XA1 for over a year now.

I have put the XA1 through every firmware upgrade there has been. The goofed up builtin center test tone for the 5.1 analog outputs has always been broke.

Funny you have the problem with DVE.

My Dealer just upgraded me from the Paradigm CC-290 to CC-390 so using the large for center is fine for me.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #202 of 598 Old 07-12-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo913 View Post

My Dealer just upgraded me from the Paradigm CC-290 to CC-390 so using the large for center is fine for me.

Sigh! You should be able to set all your speakers to SMALL and let the sub do the work. Using disc based test tones like THX Optimizer (available on SD DVD's like Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) and a SPL meter will let you get properly calibrated. The Bass Management on the A1 & XA1 does work for the center channel -- you just can not use the built-into-the-player center test tone.
post #203 of 598 Old 07-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnickersonjr View Post

My DVD-R's play fine. I have a few Demo DVD's and they play just fine on my RCA. I don't use + R's so I can't comment on them!

I don't understand this transient "Disc doesn't appear to be a valid DVD" error message then. I upgraded to 2.3 via disc, re-initialized the player, pulled the power cord and restarted. I set all the parameters back and now all HD DVD's and DVD+R's play but I can't get any of my DVD-R's to play.

The weird thing is that the A1 only lists DVD-R's as compatible, although I have had no problems with +R's in the past.

Any suggestions as to how to get these working again?
post #204 of 598 Old 07-12-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:

Downgrade to V2.2? By the way, what content is on your DVD-Rs if I may ask? SD or HD?
post #205 of 598 Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I don't understand this transient "Disc doesn't appear to be a valid DVD" error message then. I upgraded to 2.3 via disc, re-initialized the player, pulled the power cord and restarted. I set all the parameters back and now all HD DVD's and DVD+R's play but I can't get any of my DVD-R's to play.

The weird thing is that the A1 only lists DVD-R's as compatible, although I have had no problems with +R's in the past.

I'm running 2.3, installed via disk, reinitialized to duplicate your condition, plays DVD-R and DVD+R just fine.
post #206 of 598 Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgpsr View Post

Sigh! You should be able to set all your speakers to SMALL and let the sub do the work. Using disc based test tones like THX Optimizer (available on SD DVD's like Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc) and a SPL meter will let you get properly calibrated. The Bass Management on the A1 & XA1 does work for the center channel -- you just can not use the built-into-the-player center test tone.

Using HD DVD DVE, I still get the LFE mixed with pink sound through the center channel when it set to small in the A1's 5.1 audio setup. Changing it to Large I get the correct pink sound (no LFE rumbling sound mixed in) with the HD DVD DVE.

So there is still something wrong with 2.3 firmware and LFE and small center channel.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #207 of 598 Old 07-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Have been trying to update with the downloaded ISO burned to CD. Burned with Nero as an image, Track at once, 4X speed and also tried burning disc at once at 4X speed. Tried both discs and got the same result. I'm getting the error code VUP 113. Have done a search and I don't see that anyone else has had this. It occurs right at the 50% point of the update.

Help!

Stace
post #208 of 598 Old 07-13-2007, 08:28 AM

I should have closed the door while updating firmware from CD.
post #209 of 598 Old 07-13-2007, 09:12 AM

I also encountered the VUP error 133 message when upgrading the firmware via CD.

After changing the write method from "Track-At-Once" to "Disc-At-Once" when using Nero Burning ROM, my HD-XA1 went through the 2.3 firmware upgrade process successfully.
post #210 of 598 Old 07-13-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Have been trying to update with the downloaded ISO burned to CD. Burned with Nero as an image, Track at once, 4X speed and also tried burning disc at once at 4X speed. Tried both discs and got the same result. I'm getting the error code VUP 113. Have done a search and I don't see that anyone else has had this. It occurs right at the 50% point of the update.

Help!

Stace

I've been looking around and it appears to me the only time a VUP error occurs is during internet update. I just want to make sure of your procedure.

The display must be turned on. Starting with the player in standby, press drawer open and wait for it to open. Insert the CD-R and press drawer close. Do not access the setup menu or anything else -- drawer open and drawer close, that's all.

After the disc is loaded the display will prompt you for update yes/no. select yes and enter via the remote. Do absolutely nothing else -- just wait for it to complete.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page