Has ANYONE received their 5 free HD-DVD's from Toshiba? - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1448 Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAnderson View Post

Got my disks yesterday. Sent the form 1st week of March...If Toshiba cares at all, they'll dump that fulfillment company asap. Got two "gouged" cases (U-571 and Seabiscuit).
F@#$% Morons!

I got mine last week as well. Seems all the Universal titles come "gouged" through the UPC code -- The Rundown and Seabiscuit for me! The Warner / Paramount titles were perfect. Too bad, as I was actually going to exchange the Rundown. Now I'm stuck with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1448 Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hey, I just decided to gather my rebate materials together, and when I went to cut the UPC code from the HD-A2 box, there was no printed code on the box. Only a computer generated label that was stuck to the side with bar codes for UPC and serial number.

Is this what you guys are cutting out and sending in?
post #183 of 1448 Old 07-31-2007, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

Hey, I just decided to gather my rebate materials together, and when I went to cut the UPC code from the HD-A2 box, there was no printed code on the box. Only a computer generated label that was stuck to the side with bar codes for UPC and serial number.

Yes it is. I only submitted one set (UPC & S/N) and it was accepted.
post #184 of 1448 Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith AP View Post

On HD-A2 package box, there is no directly printed UPC code. In my case, My box has three UPC lables. Two from Toshiba manufacturer, one from Bestbuy.

I mailed Toshiba one that has UPC and serial number, it was rejected by Archway fulfillment for Toshiba offer processing, they said the UPC does not match Bestbuy receipt code. Then I have to mail them the bestbuy UPC as well. Now they accepted. However, they put my order into another 8-10 weeks waiting period.

So the experience is mailing them all UPCs from the box, since they will have no excuse to push back your rebate request.
post #185 of 1448 Old 08-01-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

i'm tellin ya..everybody that got a gouged disc needs to call in and give toshiba a piece of their mind

the rebate form makes no mention of this.

I've decided to not buy into the HD-DVD format. I will not pay money to support a format which sends out burned cases. This action by Universal tells me they do not respect the customer. I only buy from companies that honor their product and word. 17 weeks to get 5 HD-DVD? All Universal cases burned? No thanks. I have choices for my entertainment dollars.

I am going to look into Blu Ray and see if they have better service. Or I will stick with DVD in 480p looks very good. I doubt I will buy another Universal DVD in any format.
post #186 of 1448 Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Took about four months for me to the HD DVDs. All universal titles were given the branding treatment. I have a problem with one of the discs I recieved. I don't know if it is my disc only. Out of the five I chose U-571 and when watching it using the DTS-HD track I loose sound at the scene when they are heading below in the siezed submarine. If I try switching back to the Dolby Digital track the Disc locks up and I have to restart the movie. Can I replace this movie with another copy since it is one of the movies that has been given the branding treatment by Universal. Oh and this happens on the 360 add-on. I have not tested it on another HD DVD player and I have the latest update.

XBox Live Gamer Tag: DWNLOW91
post #187 of 1448 Old 08-01-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiehowser View Post

I've decided to not buy into the HD-DVD format. I will not pay money to support a format which sends out burned cases. This action by Universal tells me they do not respect the customer.

Pleeeeeease....scuffing a free disk's case steers you to another format??
Quote:

I am going to look into Blu Ray and see if they have better service.

Enjoy...depending on which disk you get in that format, it may not work at all.

It's amazing just what little things ticks off some people.
post #188 of 1448 Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFAN0001 View Post

Pleeeeeease....scuffing a free disk's case steers you to another format??

IT IS NOT FREE!!! It was paid for when the HD-DVD player was purchased. It is a part of the sales agreement.

What would you do if you purchased 5 HD-DVD's from Amazon and they came burned? Would you throw the $150 away?

People paid for the 5 HD-DVD's when they purchased the HD-DVD player. It was part of the sales agreement.
post #189 of 1448 Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

The fulfillment companies are required to reject a certain percentage of submissions (valid or not)

Screw HD-DVD. They will never see one cent from me.
post #190 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

IT IS NOT FREE!!! It was paid for when the HD-DVD player was purchased. It is a part of the sales agreement.

What would you do if you purchased 5 HD-DVD's from Amazon and they came burned? Would you throw the $150 away?

People paid for the 5 HD-DVD's when they purchased the HD-DVD player. It was part of the sales agreement.

This is all blown out of proportion. Out of my 5 "free" HD DVD disks, only 2 had any dremel scuff marks (1" or so on the back cover) that are barely noticable and quite frankly, have no real bearing on either the cases or the HD DVD's inside.

I paid a reasonable discounted price for the A2 HD DVD player like most people here, and the "free disks" were frosting on the cake, not part of the batter. I'm looking for some cheese now to go with all the whine.
post #191 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 03:31 AM

Quote:

This is all blown out of proportion. Out of my 5 "free" HD DVD disks, only 2 had any dremel scuff marks (1" or so on the back cover) that are barely noticable and quite frankly, have no real bearing on either the cases or the HD DVD's inside.

I paid a reasonable discounted price for the A2 HD DVD player like most people here, and the "free disks" were frosting on the cake, not part of the batter. I'm looking for some cheese now to go with all the whine.

The lesson I learned is never buying any such thing via "rebate" deal. After I purchase the thing, then I have to beg them for "free" rebate!

I have to say to buy HD-DVD player is a suffering experience! Archway marketing or Toshiba disrespect their customer will be a big story on internet, and I will find a way to solve this.
post #192 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:

Seems that none of my discs got burned, only about a 2 inch "burn" on the case on the back through the UPC. Sure they could have opened it up and punched a hole through the UPC, but then you would be screaming it wasn't shrink wrapped.

Just be glad you got the discs at all. The fulfillment companies are required to reject a certain percentage of submissions (valid or not), it seems that this hasn't happened to too many here.

The discs were not part of the sales agreement as it clearly states on the form "Free HD DVDs are limited to the selection shown for this offer, while supplies last. Free HD DVDs cannot be returned or exchanged at retailers."

Clearly there is a chance that you may not get any HD DVDs. I don't blame Universal for trying to prevent you from returning their discs. A lot of people will not comply with the terms they agreed to, so Universal forced them to comply. Could it have been done better, yes. I see no problem with what they did as long as the disc itself wasn't damaged.

We are in United States not in China or India. Merchandiser has to treat customer first. As a customer, we have a choice to buy product from different retailers. The "Free" HD-DVD disc instance will be a lesson for all other customer.
post #193 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 AM

The following is a message that I sent to Archway marketing service that is fulfillment contractor by Toshiba.

From an experience with your fulfillment service division with processing Toshiba five HD-DVD rebate, I suggest you organization should switch out the call center by using on-line status check via Web page.

That is very simple logic, if we can get our five HD-DVDs on-time without any delay or other instances, we would not spend time to make a call to your customer service representatives and discuss such terrible experience on internet. In fact, that must be something are going wrong caused so many calls and complaints from about five internet discussion forums.

If your organization care about your reputation and performance, you should solve these issue immediately. And publish your solution in all five internet forums.
post #194 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I called Tosh yesterday and was told my form was received and approved, everything was in processing and I will get them soon
I hope so

"There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as if everything is." Einstein

Now Format Neutral

post #195 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:

I think some of us are getting cases more severely damaged than others. Case in point: check out my picture in this post. I'd say that quite significantly impacts the case and is quite noticeable.
post #196 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzz View Post

I called Tosh yesterday and was told my form was received and approved, everything was in processing and I will get them soon
I hope so

Actually, you didn't talk to Toshiba yesterday. That 800 number on the rebate form goes directly to Archway Marketing Services. Yes, the answer the telephone as if they are Toshiba. But they are actually the fulfillment house hired to handle the distribution of the discs for Toshiba.

Mark
post #197 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 AM

This thread is turning into a real whinefest. Guys go out and buy some other movies to watch while your waiting. Thats what I'm doing and if my case comes damaged I really don't give 2 S#$%s, as long as the disc itself is fine.
post #198 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlatt View Post

I think some of us are getting cases more severely damaged than others. Case in point: check out my picture in this post. I'd say that quite significantly impacts the case and is quite noticeable.

How can you put that HD-DVD in your collection on a shelf and not be humiliated when people visit? That HD-DVD looks like it was found at the bottom of a dirty dumpster after a wild animal chewed on it.

Any burning or destruction of the case is not acceptable. When the advertising said 5 HD-DVD movies, everyone expects new HD-DVD's, not second hand garbage with burn marks.

I am going to call a friend who is a lawyer and see if he will join AVS and help people sue Toshiba and Universal. If Toshiba gets sued in small claims court in 1000 different cities, they will feel the pain of having to hire 1000 independent lawyers to drive to BFE to appear before a judge. The goal will be to inflict pain on Toshiba and Universal by forcing them to spend money responding to courts in small cities across America where they do not have an office/lawyer.
post #199 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodef View Post

This thread is turning into a real whinefest. Guys go out and buy some other movies to watch while your waiting. Thats what I'm doing and if my case comes damaged I really don't give 2 S#$%s, as long as the disc itself is fine.

I live like a civilized person and my equipment looks like new. I don't bring garbage into my house.
post #200 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

I received my 5 "free" HD-DVDs from Toshiba/Archway today as promised (FedEx delivery). And, unfortunately, two of my titles (Seabiscuit and U-571) have the dreaded dremel tool cuts into the cases. Man, the guy that's doing the dremeling must be simultaneously watching some slasher movie! It wasn't enough to just cut through the UPC, he dug deep into the cases for a good 2.5 inches and it appears he actually went completely through the case in one spot. He must also be named Larry because he's leaving an "L" behind.

I've already left messages for all the appropriate people at Toshiba and Archway informing them that I will be following through with a small claims court action to recover the cost of replacing these two damaged HD-DVDs (plus court costs). I'd simply buy replacement cases but the paper inserts (which I view as part of the collectible value of the movies) are damaged beyond repair. If Mr. Slasher had stopped with just the UPC code, that would be one thing. But to carry it right down into the text and graphics is quite another.

Mark
post #201 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM

Wow! You guys are too much. Starting to wonder if it's not just the cases and there is an agenda involved here.
post #202 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

really? small claims court for 2 75 cent cases and some 10 cent art work. Good luck to you...I have better things to do with my time. Let us know what you get and how much it ends up costing you.

oh please

if he actually wins the case and replacements are offered to everybody, you'll be first in line...if he wants to take it to small claims let him do it -- why does it bother you so much?
post #203 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

I just received a telephone call from a VP at Archway Marketing Services. She was contacted by their legal department following the message I left today. She asked me to explain exactly what was happening that had me so upset. After hearing my story, she apologized for the long delay (and out of turn delivery) of my HD-DVDs and for the damage to the Universal title cases. She said she is going to investigate the situation and find out where the damage is happening and stop it/correct it if possible. In the meantime, she told me that she will have UNDAMAGED replacement HD-DVDs sent out to me ASAP (hopefully, by tomorrow), even if she has to have someone go out and buy them! I will be returning the damaged ones unopened.

And, for the record, I made it very clear to her the only just and fair thing to do was for Toshiba and/or Archway to replace ALL damaged cases/titles upon request. She agreed that everyone should be entitled to undamaged product. She promised that Archway would look into the matter carefully and evaluate what needed to be done and would could be done.

I am expecting a follow-up call once my replacement titles ship.

Mark

P.S. I offered the suggestion that Archway (or whoever) simply remove the shrinkwrap and security stickers from Universal titles before shipping them. That, as much as anything, would prevent folks from returning them to retailers for an exchange. I don't know any retailer that will exchange a movie that's been opened.
post #204 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

really? small claims court for 2 75 cent cases and some 10 cent art work. Good luck to you...I have better things to do with my time. Let us know what you get and how much it ends up costing you.

It is not two 75 cent cases. It is two $29.99 HD-DVD movies. A replacement case is not the same as an original case. In my DVD collection I have movies which are out of print and now worth over $100+. Would those DVD's be worth as much if the case was burned or missing?

People want to collect items in MINT condition.

Small claims court is perfect. Toshiba and Universal do not have a lawyer in every city in America. If every Joe Sixpack files a small calims case, it will force Toshiba to send out a lawyer to the small town which will cost Toshiba the lawyers time, hotel, transportation, and food expenses. It is not cheap for Toshiba to defend a case in small towns. If Toshiba does not send a lawyer, the plantiff will win.

Since so many people recieved damaged HD-DVD cases, this shows that Toshiba knew about the problem and willfully sent damaged cases. This allows everyone to sue for Treble damages-- three times the amount of damages. So if someone got 5 damaged HD-DVD's at $29.99 each, that is $450 in damages. I'd push it further and sue for treble the HD-DVD player based on breach of contract for $750. Add the price of HD-DVD's and that is $1200. Let the court award back to Toshiba the HD-DVD player. Use the $1200 and go buy a BR player and pocket $600.

What Universal is doing is despicable. They are sending garbage to people.
post #205 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't bother me, I just know taking anything to court isn't cheap or fast....just curious how much time and money it will cost.

As far as class action lawsuits, I don't waste my time...I've been a part of many and haven't received anything to this day. Still waiting on my 1-month free Netflix from the suit I was part of back in 2005. Told resolution and reward would happen no later than a year ago.

You don't want a class action lawsuit. The only people who win are the lawyers. You want small claims. A class action lawsuit makes it easy on Toshiba. They use their corporate lawyers, they go to court in a city they have offices in. Small claims will force Toshiba to send lawyers into places where it is more expensive for them (pay for the transportation, hotel, food...)

The cost to file small claims is next to nothing. Depending on the county or city, it could be as cheap as free to file or $30 bucks. It is a very simple process and does not require a lawyer. The court clerk can help fill out the papers and explain the process. It can be a lot of fun to sue when a company screws the consumer.
post #206 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It doesn't bother me, I just know taking anything to court isn't cheap or fast....just curious how much time and money it will cost.

California SMALL CLAIMS COURT costs $30 plus service of process fees (for cases under $1500). Service of process can usually be done by registered mail. These expenses are recoverable should you win your case.

In my 51 years I've sued two businesses in small claims court. Both for breach of contract. Won 'em both and recovered my requested damages and all costs. Both times, the judges told me that I should have been a lawyer because they'd seen real lawyers that didn't present themselves as well.

I should also point out that both previous times, I went to GREAT lengths to try to reason with the companies before ever filing a suit. Unfortunately for them, I guess they didn't believe I'd follow through with my promises.

Sure, a small claims case takes some time. But time is something I'm happy to spend in pursuit of what is right and fair.

Mark
post #207 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

I should also point out that both previous times, I went to GREAT lengths to try to reason with the companies before ever filing a suit. Unfortunately for them, I guess they didn't believe I'd follow through with my promises.

Sure, a small claims case takes some time. But time is something I'm happy to spend in pursuit of what is right and fair.

Mark

Mark, you make a very good point. It is very important to document every attempt to resolve the problem. Write down what day and time the customer called the company. Write down the name of the employee or CSR the customer spoke with. Small claims judges love people that come prepared.
post #208 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 04:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

different strokes for different folks...I have better things to do with my time than to fret over an HD DVD case...I guess that this is not the case for most of the people here...oh well, to each their own.

Enjoy your small claims filing.

If you wanted the discs truly in mint condition as a collectible when you receive the "untarnished" copies, I assume that you will not remove the shrink wrap or worse even play it as it won't be mint anymore, correct? I guess I enjoy watching movies more than collecting cases. All my DVD cases are stored in a box in the attic, hope no insects eat the art work

No small claims filing necessary. With your "better things to do with your time" nasty postings you must have missed my message #215. Archway is sending me replacement discs ASAP. And, hopefully, correcting the problem for others as well.

In the future, perhaps you might want to actually read an entire thread before spouting off with your drivel.

Mark
post #209 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Here is a message I sent to Archway COO Cheryl Henry and CEO Murad Velani. So far, I didn't get their response yet.

The following are five internet discussion forums
concerning the issues with HD-DVD rebate fulfillment. Please review them:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9&page=7&pp=30
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post11088812
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=776263&page=3
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...t=10333&page=2
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/show...t=12146&page=4

Since I am on vacation this week, I can spend time to deal the
issue. In fact, my rebate still be in "ready to shipping status" for about four
weeks. That was submitted in May. I submitted with all correct forms and
Toshiba OEM UPC, However, the processing center was mistaken to reject my
submission by looking for retailer's UPC that is not in the rebate term.
Then, they unfairly push me back to another 8-10 weeks waiting period .

If the processing were smooth or on-time, nobody would bother to call your
service center. However, some individuals are even horrible to drop the call
in the middle. Since that is not single instance, So I decided to escalate
to Archway senior management.

I believe Archway can solve the issue soon, since you are long time
respected service company in North America.

Regards,

Ray Pan
post #210 of 1448 Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM

Willi Freekin Wonka, Excalibur, Rattle and Hum, Ant Bully, and Polar Express !! Just got 'em last week, woohooo I am in heaven (and pretty messed up considering my choices !!)....

"Don't ever let anyone tell you you have a ten cent fart for a brain unless you only have a dollar in your pocket !!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page