An Alternative to DVD Scratch Removing Machines - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Materials: (available at most auto supply stores and Walmart)
  • One - 10 fl. oz. bottle of "Meguiar's PLASTX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish"
  • One - "Meguiar's Even Coat Applicator Pad" (or other brand)
  • Two - "Meguiar's Supreme Shine Microfiber"cloths (or other brand), preferably in two different colors

IMPORTANT NOTE #1: Before purchasing the PlastX read the entire back label for directions and precautions. Specifically verify that the Polish can be used on scratch CD's. Do not purchase the product if for use on CD's not listed.

STEP 1. Apply the polish following the manufactures directions. Again per Meguiar's directions, use color "A" microfiber cloth to remove the dried polish residue .

Your DVD's scratches may either disappear or be greatly minimized. Note that more than one application may be required.

STEP 2. Thoroughly wash the disk with window cleaner and cold running water. Thoroughly dry the washed disk with color "B" microfiber cloth.

IMPORTANT NOTE #2: Never use color "A" microfiber cloth to dry the washed disk. Never use color "B" microfiber cloth to remove the polish residue from the disk. Microfiber cloths may be washed per manufacturers instructions. Never interchange the cloths. Doing so could leave polish residue on your disk and possibly damage your HD-DVD player. The applicator pad is also washable.

This method is much less expensive that buying a scratch removing machine. It worked for me with a terribly scratched Netflix "Sleepy Hollow" HD-DVD" disk.

Good Luck

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-10-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Good one!!

I've had good result's with a cloth buffer on my drill press and i can buff the inside out in a straight line.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

This method is much less expensive that buying a scratch removing machine. It worked for me with a terribly scratched Netflix "Sleepy Hollow" HD-DVD" disk.
Good Luck

Thanks for the good information. BTW, I hope I get the discs that you return to Netflix.

No electrons were harmed during the creation, transmission or reading of this posting. However, many were excited and some may have enjoyed the experience.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Blue Coral also has a similar product called Plexiglass/Plastic Cleaner/Preserver. One of the uses listed on the back is "restores optical clarity to CDs". Really does the trick for scuff marks and light scratches and seems to make the surface more resistant to fingerprints. If the plastic protecting the instrument panel in your car has dulled from cleaning it with a paper towel, this stuff will make it disappear.

Good tip about the two types of microfiber cloths also, I'll have to try those.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page