Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 234 Old 10-14-2007, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor View Post

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Thanks for the Active ISO Burner link. It worked great when updating my A20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 234 Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please don't laugh, but I have never burnt a disc in my life. I have the HD-A1 player. Of all the updates to date, which one should I use and what does it accomplish? I bought the unit over the internet a year ago and never registered it with Toshiba. Would anyone consider "loaning" me a copy of the latest recommended update disk? I will return it with $5 to cover S&H. Thanks for your help!
post #93 of 234 Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra5wood View Post

Please don't laugh, but I have never burnt a disc in my life. I have the HD-A1 player. Of all the updates to date, which one should I use and what does it accomplish? I bought the unit over the internet a year ago and never registered it with Toshiba. Would anyone consider "loaning" me a copy of the latest recommended update disk? I will return it with $5 to cover S&H. Thanks for your help!

There are three ways of updating your player*:
1.Download the ISO and burn a CD using Active ISO Burner.(IMHO the best way to update)
2.Update using the ethernet port.(need ethernet cable and high speed internet access)
3.Order the update disc from Toshiba.(takes weeks to receive or never in my case)

*only update if you are having problems
post #94 of 234 Old 10-21-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Ok, since we see a lot of people posting questions and comments regarding burning HD DVD firmware images into the main firmware threads, I figured I'd start a new thread for this topic alone and have the mods make it a sticky. That way, people can use this thread as a disk burning resource/guide and we can keep the main firmware threads free of redundant posts.

What I think would be ideal would be to have separate sections for all the popular burning apps listed in this post. I'll start things off by adding a section for Nero Burning ROM. However, since I'm a disk burning noob in general, it'd be nice if those of you familiar with the other burning apps (Like IMGBurn) could send me instructions/screenshots for those apps via PM. I'll then add them to the first post as I get them.

Finally, please note that I'm going to host the images shown in this post on Photobucket.com, which I'm sure it's going to work out horribly. If anyone has a better hosting solution, please let me know.

So without further ado, here is the Nero section:

Nero Burning Rom 6

1) Fire up Nero Burning ROM and select 'CD' or 'DVD' from the dropdown menu. Then click on the 'ISO' tab. This should bring you to the screen similar to the one shown below (May differ slightly based on the version of Nero used). Adjust your settings to match what is in the image, then click on the 'Open' button, browse to the HD DVD firmware ISO file, and then click 'Open', to open the image.

2) You should now be on the 'Burn Compliation' screen. Adjust the 'Action' checkboxes to match those in the image below, then set the write speed to something you're comfortable with. Many people recommend changing this setting to the lowest possible speed, but I've burnt working firmware disks at 12x speed and up, so your mileage may vary here. Finally, make sure the 'Write Method' drop down is changed to the 'Disk-at-once' value, then click on the 'Burn' button to burn the image. This should produce a working HD DVD firmware upgrade disk.

Let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

My Sony computer came with Sonic CD Burner, but I downloaded Nero CD
Burner from the net for comparison. It was advertised as free. but cost $34.95, some free software!. The menu which came with Nero is totally different from the menu in your e-mail. The drop down menu offers only "Joliet", ISO Level 1" and ISO Level 2". There is a FILE drop down which has Copy ISO file to burner, but it did not work. Kept getting the message "not a valid ISO file". I copied the ISO file directly to CD. Not sure if this will work. I probably will call Toshiba and request a CD.

Any suggestions?
post #95 of 234 Old 10-21-2007, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

My Sony computer came with Sonic CD Burner, but I downloaded Nero CD
Burner from the net for comparison. It was advertised as free. but cost $34.95, some free software!. The menu which came with Nero is totally different from the menu in your e-mail. The drop down menu offers only "Joliet", ISO Level 1" and ISO Level 2". There is a FILE drop down which has Copy ISO file to burner, but it did not work. Kept getting the message "not a valid ISO file". I copied the ISO file directly to CD. Not sure if this will work. I probably will call Toshiba and request a CD.

Any suggestions?

Active ISO Burner.
It's free and best of all it works.
post #96 of 234 Old 10-21-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

Active ISO Burner.
It's free and best of all it works.

Thanks for the tip, moviegeek. Downloaded and installed easily.

I downloaded two upgrade verisons - ver 2.0 from the Toshiba webiste and ver 2.3 from AVS site. Which version is better for the A-1SN?

My machine is a June 2006 machine. I purchased it during Closeout sale at Sears. Software had never been updated. Check of software indicates
ver 1.3/1.09/2.0R. Does this indicate the version installed is 1.3 or 2.0?
post #97 of 234 Old 10-21-2007, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, moviegeek. Downloaded and installed easily.

I downloaded two upgrade verisons - ver 2.0 from the Toshiba webiste and ver 2.3 from AVS site. Which version is better for the A-1SN?

My machine is a June 2006 machine. I purchased it during Closeout sale at Sears. Software had never been updated. Check of software indicates
ver 1.3/1.09/2.0R. Does this indicate the version installed is 1.3 or 2.0?

You have 1.3 installed.Members report that 2.0 is better,you can always upgrade to 2.3 later if you still have problems.
post #98 of 234 Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegeek View Post

You have 1.3 installed.Members report that 2.0 is better,you can always upgrade to 2.3 later if you still have problems.

Does the firmware upgrade address the Resume Play issue after stopping the playback? Everytime I stop play for whatever reason, I have to retreive the disk menu and attempt to locate the chapter/scene I stopped play.
post #99 of 234 Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does the firmware upgrade address the Resume Play issue after stopping the playback? Everytime I stop play for whatever reason, I have to retreive the disk menu and attempt to locate the chapter/scene I stopped play.

Unfortunately that's normal for HD DVD and there's no way around it.
post #100 of 234 Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Greetings,

I would just like to ask, how is it necessary to upgrade the firmware of and hd dvd player..?
post #101 of 234 Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 PM

I just upgraded using the Active ISO Burner to Memorex CD-R 48X multispeed Disc. On the first one I didn't change to 1X Burn speed and it would not work. I changed to the 1X Burn speed for the next oneand it worked by simply inserting the disc iin the player and answering yes to the upgrade question. The only thing I see different so far with the new version is a new menu option for Twin Discs which I don't recall seeing before.

Thanks to my AVS friends for the link to Active ISO and a very helpful thread. AVS is the best!!!!
post #102 of 234 Old 10-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
i have nero smartstart it all i can se at the start up is make data cd...how do i get to nero burning rom? thanks
post #103 of 234 Old 10-30-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 2.3 upgrade disk from Toshiba yesterday - very quick response.
Installed this AM - installation, no issues. Before installation I could not view Transformers; after installation it loaded after a couple of attempts. Only three stutters noted during movie, mostly during the first 1/3 of movie.

Loading is about the same time; power up about the same. Will continue the checkout with "Alpha Dog" tonight.

Originally I had 1.3 and viewed several HD and SD movies with no issues including Alpha Dog. However last night when it failed to read Transformers, I tried to load Alpha Dog and it failed. This prompted the upgrade today.
post #104 of 234 Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 PM

Has anyone used Nero Ver 8 to create an ISO file for the HD-DVD FW. I tried using the Active ISO and when I select burn it completly kills my PC that is running XP after saying the PC is shutting down before a fatal error appears.
post #105 of 234 Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicolow View Post

Has anyone used Nero Ver 8 to create an ISO file for the HD-DVD FW.

Try using the instructions in the first post of this thread. Granted they're for Nero 6, but they'll probably get you where you need to go (Or at least in the right direction).
post #106 of 234 Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 114
This thread has been very useful. Picked up my XA2 yesterday evening. Got up this morning, made all the connections, downloaded ISO burner, downloaded 2.5, burned my CD and updated the XA2. Took between 60-90
minutes.

Without this thread, I can't imagine the time I would have spent trying to figure out how to do everything. Thanks to all!
post #107 of 234 Old 11-02-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks to all who recommended Active ISO Burner... easy!
post #108 of 234 Old 11-02-2007, 08:31 PM

Burnatonce is also a nice burner program. Simple to use. http://www.burnatonce.net/downloads

Click the top one -- full install.
post #109 of 234 Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 PM

For those of you who use a Mac, the advice given earlier in this thread to use the Disk Utility app built into OS X (Tiger) works like a charm. It burned a perfect ISO copy on one of my nearly obsolete (8x) CD-Rs, and it updated the firmware on my HD-A3 without a hitch.

In my case, hooking up with Mr. Chocolate and Mr. Marshmallow could be fatal.
post #110 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Roxio / Sonic failed on two different PCs for me. Active ISO Burner worked fine. Thanks for the link! Here it is for others:

http://www.ntfs.com/downloads/Iso-burner.exe
post #111 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus-SanDiego View Post

Burnatonce is also a nice burner program. Simple to use. http://www.burnatonce.net/downloads

Click the top one -- full install.

If you set theis software to burn at the slowest possible speed in the options menu...this is the easiest and most reliable way to burn the Toshiba ISO CD disk to date.
post #112 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_professor View Post

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Very nice little program. That did it fine. Thanks.

Harold
post #113 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 AM

I downloaded the version 2.5 software from the web and then downloaded Deepburner to allow me to write an iso c/d - ran the software upgrade using instructions I found on this site and the 5 steps took about 10 minutes total - checking firmware on unit confirms I now have 2.5 - put in a standard Planet Earth dvd and it looks awesome - next step is to get some HD dvds - off to Costco I guess
post #114 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 AM

I have Nero, but for those who need a very simple utility to just burn firmware, Active ISO is it. That's all it does, no confusion.
post #115 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've updated the original post in this thread with a basic firmware burning tips section, as well as a 'DeepBurner' and 'Active ISO Burner' section for those folks who don't have a full cd burning suite installed on their pc's.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...12&postcount=1
post #116 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamcracker View Post

For those of you who use a Mac, the advice given earlier in this thread to use the Disk Utility app built into OS X (Tiger) works like a charm. It burned a perfect ISO copy on one of my nearly obsolete (8x) CD-Rs, and it updated the firmware on my HD-A3 without a hitch.

i hope u are still around. i am trying to download and get mounting failed. not sure what to do. i opened disk utility and click on about everything to repair it and no go. what am i doing wrong. my imac is 2 years old if that makes a difference.
post #117 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Works the best for me. Roxio,Deepburner...nah.Active ISO is simplest,surest. INHO...

56HM195/TH-50PX600U/LC-46D64U TW/2 Moto 6416 DVRS/1 Tosh HD-A1 v2.0/1 HD-A2C v2.5 Misc. Audio
post #118 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Active ISO worked great for me. Kept wondering why ImgBurn wouldn't recognize it...ugh.

Thanks! A2 and A3 updated!
post #119 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If you dont have it download the free trial version of Nero 8.0 as others have suggested....Handles iso files like a champ.

Russ
post #120 of 234 Old 11-03-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post

If you dont have it download the free trial version of Nero 8.0 as others have suggested....Handles iso files like a champ.

Why would I download a bloated POS that costs $100US when Active ISO Burner and burnatonce are free and work?
BTW:the maker of ImgBurn said it would support non standard ISO's in the next version:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic339380.html#1769652
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page