Vin
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

From your description, it looks like you burnt the iso image file to a disk instead of burning the iso image itself to a disk. If so, this will not work. If you successfully burn the ISO image, Windows explorer will probably not even be able to read the newly burned disk because it is now using a format that Windows cannot recognize. You can easily confirm this by trying the disk in your player. It'll either prompt you to upgrade or it'll give you a 'disk not recognized' error.

I'd recommend reading the first post in this thread and try using one of the recommended apps to burn the ISO image. Once done, pop it into your player and upgrade once prompted.

Slaine, thanks for replying. When I receive my A3 (hasn't even shipped yet from hhgregg) I'll try the disk I made and if it doesn't work I'll download one of the recommended apps and try again.

Thanks again for your help.

Vin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 234 Old 11-27-2007, 08:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhiii2002 View Post

As reported on other threads for many months, the HDA35 is not able to deliver 1080p/24 to many 1080p/24 TVs/projectors, such as my Optoma HD80 which has *amazing* pictures with the Samsung bd-p1400 which can deliver 1080p/24 as blu-ray players have been able to do for some time.(

You are right, the specs say the A35 can output 1080p24. However, I don't think you will see a big difference. There will be no increase in resolution, only smoother motion due to the removal of the 3:2 pulldown. Not a big difference and not even noticeable on scenes with little motion. Some HDTVs will even do the removal for you if you feed them a 1080i60 picture.

I use HD video cameras with adjustable frame rate and the only difference is the amount of motion judder. The resolution is identical.
post #183 of 234 Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM

I have never successfully burned a firmware upgrade for the HD-A1. Tried both CD-R and RW. Anyone suggest any software or type of disk. Thanks.
post #184 of 234 Old 11-30-2007, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernole View Post

I have never successfully burned a firmware upgrade for the HD-A1. Tried both CD-R and RW. Anyone suggest any software or type of disk. Thanks.

Check the first post of this thread for suggestions and instructions.
post #185 of 234 Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernole View Post

I recommend trying "Burn At Once" CD burning software which is available as freeware on the net. Download as exe file titled "bao0995.exe" slightly over 2 MB. I used a Memorax CD-R CD with this software and burned at 40X, not really expecting any success, but it worked! This was after 10 failures with isoburn, nero, sonic and realplayer.

Try it and, but verify under MASTERING/Data CD/ISO Setting that "ISO 9660:1999" box is checked. Try setting a lower speed, but not sure if this affects ISO files.
post #186 of 234 Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon04 View Post

I recommend trying "Burn At Once" CD burning software which is available as freeware on the net. Download as exe file titled "bao0995.exe" slightly over 2 MB. I used a Memorax CD-R CD with this software and burned at 40X, not really expecting any success, but it worked! This was after 10 failures with isoburn, nero, sonic and realplayer.

Try it and, but verify under MASTERING/Data CD/ISO Setting that "ISO 9660:1999" box is checked. Try setting a lower speed, but not sure if this affects ISO files.

Those of you with Macs just need to download the file, drag it to a CD-R or CD-RW and go to "Disk Utility" and press the Burn button.
post #187 of 234 Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Just a simple suggestion...the slower you burn the CD the better chance you have for success...in FW every bit needs to be correct its a software program...in music or video it does not...

I use Active ISO at 1x burn on CD-R, it has worked every time...I have become the defacto FW burner for all my friends...and boy do I feel important

Long Live The Gorn!
post #188 of 234 Old 12-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

I'd like to bring the following little freeware tool for Windows to your attention, with which I was able to burn every Toshiba firmware update successfully, without any problems. The name of the tool is "BurnAtOnce", you will find a download link when you enter that string in the Google search field. Actual version is v0.99.5, downloadable for free from Afterdawn and other freeware sides.

Worth to note is that no special settings were needed to burn the ISO files successfully, I've just chosen the slowest write speed which was offered by the tool (in my case: 4x). I'm using Verbatim CD-R media, never had any problem with home-burned Toshiba firmware CDs that way.

Laserdiscs: ~350
HiVision LDs: 42
HD DVD count: 379 / still 20 on the wishlist
post #189 of 234 Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

got firmware? I downloaded Nero v8. Free 15 day deal. In your pograms page/list scroll over nero and menu will drop down. Click startsmart. Once there choose 'backup' tab at top of window and then 'copy disc' icon within window. Once you click 'copy disc' it will start to load again a new window. Click on 'disc image or saved project' icon. This opens your file choices. Choose the a2 2700 iso file you downloaded. Click 'burn' button at bottom of window. Now do as follows. If a2 is on...so be it. Otherwise power on the a2, drop in disc, close drawer by button on a2, not remote, wait to load, choose 'yes' from message on your monitor(tv, etc) and that's it. Approx 15/20 mins later disc will eject with a2 power off. Remove disc...power on...drawer will close by itself. Done.

Does it help a2...? don't know but atleast I have latest fw.

btw...no slowing down reader/writer speed either...my burn speed was 40x with no issues using verbatim cdr. Took all but a minute to burn the iso fw.
post #190 of 234 Old 12-12-2007, 06:38 PM

I just picked up a A3 tonight.

I believe there is a firmware updat version 1.10 posted on Toshib Canada's website Oct 22,07.

I am afraid to update the firmware incase I screw it up. Is this update absolutely necessary? If it is recommended what is the best/safest way to do this?
Ethernet, burn my own disc or request a firmware disc from Toshiba?

Thanks
post #191 of 234 Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmaone View Post

I just picked up a A3 tonight.

I believe there is a firmware updat version 1.10 posted on Toshib Canada's website Oct 22,07.

I am afraid to update the firmware incase I screw it up. Is this update absolutely necessary? If it is recommended what is the best/safest way to do this?
Ethernet, burn my own disc or request a firmware disc from Toshiba?

Thanks

Either way is ok. The instructions/steps are pretty straight forward from the website. The problem with some owners getting the fw disc from Toshiba is that it is older fw rather than current not to mention taking weeks to arrive...? Don't ask. Anyways, I successfully downloaded 2.7 for my a2 and dropped it in player, closed the drawer, that's it. Does it help? Not really. Loads a little, I mean little like a couple seconds faster. Other than that...nothing. I could have lived w/ the 1.5 or whatever was on it out of the box. Until the fw does something significant I am not going to bother with upgrades. It works fine as is. I would suggest leaving well enough alone unless the fw update really improves performance and/or functions for your player I mean, why bother? I got caught up in the "got to have the latest fw trance" for the first time ever. Again, unless the update really does something significant I would not bother but it's your stuff.
post #192 of 234 Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc View Post

Either way is ok. The instructions/steps are pretty straight forward from the website. The problem with some owners getting the fw disc from Toshiba is that it is older fw rather than current not to mention taking weeks to arrive...? Don't ask. Anyways, I successfully downloaded 2.7 for my a2 and dropped it in player, closed the drawer, that's it. Does it help? Not really. Loads a little, I mean little like a couple seconds faster. Other than that...nothing. I could have lived w/ the 1.5 or whatever was on it out of the box. Until the fw does something significant I am not going to bother with upgrades. It works fine as is. I would suggest leaving well enough alone unless the fw update really improves performance and/or functions for your player I mean, why bother? I got caught up in the "got to have the latest fw trance" for the first time ever. Again, unless the update really does something significant I would not bother but it's your stuff.

Thanks for the info. How would I know if the update will help unless I go ahead and try it? If it just for the speed of loading I am not concerned but if is for a better picture quality I would think it would be worth it. I have the Borne Identity and 300 which came in the box and Galapogos and they all say "it is possible this HD DVD disc was manufactured after your HD DVD disc player. to ensure the best possible viewing experience you HD DVD disc player may need a firmware or software update."

Seriously, if this is required for HD DVD/Blu Ray players this technology is not ready for the average person. How many people will want to go through this process... not many can or will. Just my 2 cents.
post #193 of 234 Old 12-13-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Actually, I just got my Toshiba upgrade disk from them and it was 2.7. I had already burned one and upgraded but they are shipping 2.7 now.

Pan 46PZ85U, Marantz SR5003, TiVo Premier, TiVoHd + 1tb, A2 (fs), PS3, Pan DMR E-95 (fs), JVC DVD-A, Polk & Infinity, Harmony One
post #194 of 234 Old 12-15-2007, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuJac View Post

Actually, I just got my Toshiba upgrade disk from them and it was 2.7. I had already burned one and upgraded but they are shipping 2.7 now.

That's good, however some owners have reported getting discs w/ earlier fw. It's been a month or so and I've yet to receive mine although I was able to burn/load it myself finally. As I mentioned before I could have easily lived w/o it as I see/hear little to no difference. I'm just thrilled about the less than a hundred price as I was in the market for a new dvd player anyways. Best bang for buck in a long while.
post #195 of 234 Old 12-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info. How would I know if the update will help unless I go ahead and try it? If it just for the speed of loading I am not concerned but if is for a better picture quality I would think it would be worth it. I have the Borne Identity and 300 which came in the box and Galapogos and they all say "it is possible this HD DVD disc was manufactured after your HD DVD disc player. to ensure the best possible viewing experience you HD DVD disc player may need a firmware or software update."

Seriously, if this is required for HD DVD/Blu Ray players this technology is not ready for the average person. How many people will want to go through this process... not many can or will. Just my 2 cents.

I don't recall exactly where but within Toshiba's site are benefits to the fw update and what they fix/improve. Their site is a terrific mess. So that said it basically does nothing to improve pic/audio quality. All I have heard talk of is load times improved by a few seconds...? wow. When a fw update does something significant I'll be the first in line. Until then I'm shhhhh! and watching the show.

As far as constant updates are concerned...I don't get it. What happenned to the days of design it, build it, sell it, and it be right the first time. Function, qualities, etc right out of the box. Don't misunderstand me but don't you think for one second that that the engineers knew how long load times were, how bright the lights were, how the unit does not resume play form stop point on hd software, how setup options are not accessable during playback, etc, etc, etc? Apple should make a hd player and blow everone away...right out of the box! Only the low price justifies it shortcomings. I would really be po'd had I jumped the gun earlier and paid much more.
post #196 of 234 Old 12-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnc View Post

I don't recall exactly where but within Toshiba's site are benefits to the fw update and what they fix/improve. Their site is a terrific mess. So that said it basically does nothing to improve pic/audio quality. All I have heard talk of is load times improved by a few seconds...? wow. When a fw update does something significant I'll be the first in line. Until then I'm shhhhh! and watching the show.

As far as constant updates are concerned...I don't get it. What happenned to the days of design it, build it, sell it, and it be right the first time. Function, qualities, etc right out of the box.

Exactly. How is the average joe going to feel when they open up there first HD DVD and it states they "may have to update firmware to take advantages of newly available features on your HD DVD disc."

This can't be helping to push along this new technology or get people sitting on the fence to jump into the game.
post #197 of 234 Old 12-15-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Exactly. How is the average joe going to feel when they open up there first HD DVD and it states they "may have to update firmware to take advantages of newly available features on your HD DVD disc."

This can't be helping to push along this new technology or get people sitting on the fence to jump into the game.

Both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players were released before all the bugs were ironed out. Both machines are in essence very complex computers with botchy software. I have an HD-A1 and Samsung BDP-1400, and both have intermittent issues. It appears that everytime a studio releases a new gen movie, the players require a software patch to play correctly. HD-DVD appears to have fewer issues since Toshiba has better control of its standards with movie suppliers. Sony has so many different studios and licensed manufacturers, that the standard is constandly changing. The patches don't get trouble shot properly and occasionally cause more problems than they solve.
post #198 of 234 Old 12-24-2007, 07:46 PM

I read thru this thread and don't think I saw it posted... is there an archive of previous firmware versions? All I could find on toshiba's site are the latest versions.
post #199 of 234 Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 AM

thx e professor, i used the link you posted and worked just fine for me, updatign as we speak!
post #200 of 234 Old 12-29-2007, 08:03 PM

Posted this in another thread, obviously the wrong one... Anyhow, trying to update my brother's A2 that he just received as a present (from me). Download goes to 40/40, then I get an error message "Can not find out server." That has been the case for the last couple of days. So, tried downloading and burning the .iso image. While unzipping the file I get a message that the file is corrupted. Tried downloading several times, same thing... Starting to doubt myself that I am doing something wrong, although I have been assembling my own computers for the past 10 years. Am I missing something here? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
post #201 of 234 Old 12-29-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG AR View Post

Posted this in another thread, obviously the wrong one... Anyhow, trying to update my brother's A2 that he just received as a present (from me). Download goes to 40/40, then I get an error message "Can not find out server." That has been the case for the last couple of days. So, tried downloading and burning the .iso image. While unzipping the file I get a message that the file is corrupted. Tried downloading several times, same thing... Starting to doubt myself that I am doing something wrong, although I have been assembling my own computers for the past 10 years. Am I missing something here? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Just curious if you are using the firmware download link in the first post of this thread or are getting it from some other source?
post #202 of 234 Old 12-29-2007, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Just curious if you are using the firmware download link in the first post of this thread or are getting it from some other source?

Both from the link in the first post and directly from Toshiba's web site.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
post #203 of 234 Old 01-02-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:

Nero Burning Rom 6

http://2008-version.com/nero/join.asp - (Nero 8 Trial version)

1) Fire up Nero Burning ROM and select 'CD' or 'DVD' from the dropdown menu. Then click on the 'ISO' tab. This should bring you to the screen similar to the one shown below (May differ slightly based on the version of Nero used). Adjust your settings to match what is in the image, then click on the 'Open' button, browse to the HD DVD firmware ISO file, and then click 'Open', to open the image.

Can someone get rid of the Nero Link? It ends up at a scam site... I was stupid enough avoid reading and thought I was purchasing Nero... just a crappy link...
post #204 of 234 Old 01-02-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Can someone get rid of the Nero Link? It ends up at a scam site... I was stupid enough avoid reading and thought I was purchasing Nero... just a crappy link...

Ooops. Not sure what happened there, but I've updated the link. Thanks for the heads up.
post #205 of 234 Old 01-02-2008, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG AR View Post

Both from the link in the first post and directly from Toshiba's web site.

I was able to download the HD-A2-2700U.zip file this morning using the download link in the first post and was able to extract the HD-A2-2700U.iso from the zip file successfully. Therefore I'm not sure if your downloads were just being corrupted somehow or if they've since fixed a legitimate problem with this file.

You might want to give it another whack and see if you have better luck.
post #206 of 234 Old 01-30-2008, 05:59 AM

Do not make any compilations with firmware files. Toshiba states clearly that their firmware file is not recognizable by PC or MAC. When you download ZIP file, extract it and then burn ISO image. In Nero and other burning software there is an option to burn image. Use that option and you are set. The best media for burning firmware images is CD-RW. You can later erase it and burn another firmware update. There is no need to keep firmware updates. After you upgrade successfully your player then you can delete it. I use Verbatim 32X CD-RW. Except Nero I can recommend Alcohol 120% and Ultraiso.
post #207 of 234 Old 01-30-2008, 08:52 PM

I was able to get the download of the 2.7 firmware update to burn to a disc and successfully update my XA2 from 2.0 to 2.7 firmware tonight.

JohnG (videokng)

Sony KDS-R50XBR1 (SXRD)
Onix Rockets RS550MKIIs
Denon AVR3806/ DVD3910
Toshiba HD-DVD XA2/ Sony PS3
SVS 25-31CS+
post #208 of 234 Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone kindly PM me the 2.7 firmware for XA2 ? I tried all the burning softwares on the first page but could not burn anything on a CD. TIA
post #209 of 234 Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

After some trials I had been able to burn the new 2.8 firmware for XA2 onto a CD. But I still need 2.7 firmware for XA2. Can someone PM me a zip file of 2.7 Firmware for XA2 ? Or tell me the direction to where I can download the 2.7 Firmware would be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTSS-TR View Post

Can someone kindly PM me the 2.7 firmware for XA2 ? I tried all the burning softwares on the first page but could not burn anything on a CD. TIA

post #210 of 234 Old 02-16-2008, 06:23 AM

Here is another "thumbs up" for Active ISO Burner. After several failed attempts to burn the HD-A3 firmware upgrade using Nero Express, I checked out this thread and was rewarded. Active ISO burner is quite easy to use provided you have downloaded the proper .iso file to burn. By the way, I updated my firmware from version 1.1 to 2.0 and it took less than 20 minutes in 4 steps. My thanks to all posters for valuable information.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page