HD DVD Master Firmware Burning Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 234 Old 07-17-2007, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, since we see a lot of people posting questions and comments regarding burning HD DVD firmware images into the main firmware threads, I figured I'd start a new thread for this topic alone and have the mods make it a sticky. That way, people can use this thread as a disk burning resource/guide and we can keep the main firmware threads free of redundant posts.

Toshiba Firmware Download Link

Download links for all models/firmware revs can be found in jruser's very useful AVSForum thread here.

Basic Firmware Burning Tips

1) Remember to unzip the image file (If required) before attempting to burn it! - In some regions, Toshiba zips up the firmware image files, so be sure to unzip it before you attempt to burn it to disk. The disk extension that cd burning apps will expect for ISO image files is '.iso'. If the file you download already ends in '.iso' (Not '.zip'), no further action is required before burning it onto a disk.

2) Burn disk as ISO image only! - Attempting to burn the ISO image to a cd as a data file will not work. If your cd burning application does not support ISO burning (Many trialware versions of cd burning apps don't), then download one of the apps shown below.

3) Use cd's only! - Toshiba does not recommend using blank DVD's to upgrade their players and you may brick your player if you do use this format. You've been warned.....

People (Myself Included) have had good experience using Memorex cd-r blanks in both the HD-A1 and HD-A2 players. Other brands may work just fine as well, but YMMV here.

4) Set the burn speed to whatever you're comfortable with - Many folks recommend burning sensitive data like this to disks as slowly as possible, to avoid screwing up the disk and burning a coaster. I personally have burnt working firmware disks at speeds of 16x - 32x, so this advice is not set in stone however. I'd recommend using whatever speed you normally burn other data at.

Nero

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-ne...b936c93f7f51d6 - (Nero 10 Trial version)

1) Fire up Nero Burning ROM and select 'CD' or 'DVD' from the dropdown menu. Then click on the 'ISO' tab. This should bring you to the screen similar to the one shown below (May differ slightly based on the version of Nero used). Adjust your settings to match what is in the image, then click on the 'Open' button, browse to the HD DVD firmware ISO file, and then click 'Open', to open the image.

2) You should now be on the 'Burn Compliation' screen. Adjust the 'Action' checkboxes to match those in the image below, then set the write speed to something you're comfortable with. Many people recommend changing this setting to the lowest possible speed, but I've burnt working firmware disks at 12x speed and up, so your mileage may vary here. Finally, make sure the 'Write Method' drop down is changed to the 'Disk-at-once' value, then click on the 'Burn' button to burn the image. This should produce a working HD DVD firmware upgrade disk.

DeepBurner

http://www.deepburner.com/download/DeepBurner1.exe - (Free version)

1) Launch Deepburner and select 'Burn ISO Image' as the project type as shown below.

2) Browse to the Toshiba ISO file using the radio button to the right of the 'Image File:' file path input area. Once the file has been selected, (As shown in the screenshot below) set the desired 'Write speed' and click on the 'Burn ISO' button to burn the firmware image.

Active ISO Burner

http://www.ntfs.com/downloads/Iso-burner.exe - (Freeware)

1) Launch Active Iso Burner and browse to the path of the Toshiba ISO image by using the radio button to the right of the 'ISO Path:' file path input area. Once the path has been selected (As can be seen in the screenshot below), click on the 'BURN ISO!' button to burn the firmware image to disk

NOTE: I was personally unable to burn a firmware disk using this application as it caused my computer to lock up completely every time I clicked on the 'BURN ISO!' button. So be warned! However numerous other AVS Forum members have reported burning disks using this app with no issues and it appears to be the simplest app to use out of the ones listed above, so give it a try (Save all work first!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 234 Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Ok, followed your instructions verbatum. I have now burned 6 discs that result in upgrade failure. Your instructions were exactly what I had done previously but I thought, what the hell, maybe it will work this time. I still get the vup error 113.

Stace
post #3 of 234 Old 07-19-2007, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Ok, followed your instructions verbatum. I have now burned 6 discs that result in upgrade failure. Your instructions were exactly what I had done previously but I thought, what the hell, maybe it will work this time. I still get the vup error 113.

Stace

Did you ever try this using different CD media or a DVD instead of a CD? The player clearly recognizes your disk and allows you to begin the upgrade, so I have to think the drive is having problems reading the image properly from a certain part of the disk, which then causes it to bomb out.

Also, what CD media are you using?
post #4 of 234 Old 07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Did you ever try this using different CD media or a DVD instead of a CD? The player clearly recognizes your disk and allows you to begin the upgrade, so I have to think the drive is having problems reading the image properly from a certain part of the disk, which then causes it to bomb out.

Also, what CD media are you using?

Yes, I have burned 4 TDK CDr's, 1 Memorex CD RW, and 1 TDK CD RW. I will try a dvd but the Toshiba site says to only use CDs. I didn't want to cause any problems with my player.

Stace
post #5 of 234 Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlehman View Post

Yes, I have burned 4 TDK CDr's, 1 Memorex CD RW, and 1 TDK CD RW. I will try a dvd but the Toshiba site says to only use CDs. I didn't want to cause any problems with my player.

Stace

I wasn't aware that they said not to use DVD's, so maybe that's not such a good idea - I'd skip that approach unless anyone else can vouch for its safety. I personally used a Memorex CD-R to upgrade my player to 2.3, so you're definately using a kosher format. The question is, is there something about the TDK brand that's screwing things up? Also, have you checked to see if your CD/DVD burner has the latest firmware update (if any) applied?
post #6 of 234 Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Set the burn speed to the slowest possible setting. Use disc-at-once.

If it still fails, try track-at-once.

However, thinking about it, since you are burning an ISO, you should not even SEE the Joilet selections and such. You start Nero. The New compilation window comes up by default. CLOSE that screen by clicking Cancel.

On the menu select Recorder - Burn image. A browse window comes up. Find the ISO file that you have downloaded. Then once you have selected it the Burn Compilation window comes up. Default is Maximum burn speed and track at once. Just change the burn speed down to the lowest setting and give it a go.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

I followed the instructions posted by Slaine precisely and got a "no disc" error upon putting the CD into the A1 player. I tried it again using Tspeer's suggestion and got the same error.

Is my player just resistant to having the firmware updated? I connect it directly to the cable modem and turn on DHCP and DNS and clicked confirm, then exited the menu and shut down the player. Upon reboot, it still won't recognize the modem and download the new firmware online. I've really tried everything every single time new firmware is released and am still on 1.4 This is ridiculous and although I love HD DVD, I'm extremely skeptical about whether I'd want to buy any of the newer players because this is a nightmare. I won't even buy any new movies for fear they won't play on my "outdated" player, which is ludicrous for a machine that is less than 8 months old.

I'd happily pay someone to send me a working firmware disc. Feel free to PM me.
post #8 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 02:05 PM

You can get Toshiba to send them to you -- review your materials that you were sent.

Also, I think the best method is the one Tspeer mentions -- I use that method and have had no problems at all. FYI I'm using Memorex CDR 700MB 52x rated blanks.

Just a qualifier I'm a computer professional in the field for > 21 years.

Does your burner work for other stuff like making music CDs and the like? If you've had so much grief with this just have Toshiba send you the upgrade CDs.
post #9 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 03:41 PM

Thanks for the reply, Muttlover. I'm also using Memorex CD-R's, 700MB 52x. I'm not sure if you're using +/- or RW discs, but it seems like we have the same media. I use them all the time for data discs of photos and as audio CDs and have never had any trouble.

I requested a disc from Toshiba when 2.2 came out but haven't received it yet. I'll call again and ask for 2.3 and hope I have better luck.
post #10 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 04:41 PM

upgrade to Nero 6.6 (free) and when you try to burn an ISO it will open another screen and burn it properly.
post #11 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 05:06 PM

I'm using 6.6 and it still isn't working for me.
post #12 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTony View Post

I followed the instructions posted by Slaine precisely and got a "no disc" error upon putting the CD into the A1 player. I tried it again using Tspeer's suggestion and got the same error.

If it's giving you a "No disc" error, it's obviously not even recognising the disk as a firmware image. That's usually because the disk hasn't been finalized or that it hasn't been burnt as an ISO image, but I wonder if the image itself is knackered. Can you check the size of the image by checking the file properties and post it here?

The image I used to upgrade is 73,175,040 bytes in size.
post #13 of 234 Old 07-23-2007, 08:39 PM

toshiba's disk burning utillity

http://askiris.toshiba.com/ToshibaSu...%200%204670741

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman"

post #14 of 234 Old 07-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

For you fellow mac users, the excellent burning program Toast won't work with the firmware images for some reason. It produces a coaster every time. The mac os Disc Utility works just fine though.

AV Enthusiast
post #15 of 234 Old 07-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Why not try out the freeware Active ISO Burner... it is a burning software specifically catered to the burning of ISO image files on CDs. A check with CNet has confirmed that the software is free of spyware. The software is meant for the Windows platform.

Instructions: Just follow the instructions on the Toshiba support webpage http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp and after extracting the .iso file, follow the instructions on http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm.

You'll have to refer back to the same Toshiba support webpage for instructions on installing the update using the created firmware update CD.

The Active ISO software just simplified the whole burning process for me. Didn't have to change any settings.

Hope it helps.
post #16 of 234 Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Bump to keep thread active while waiting for sticky status......
post #17 of 234 Old 08-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I have an HD-XA1 thats approximately a year old. This is my first time around in updating the firmware. Should I go directly to 2.3? Or get an upgrade disc from Toshiba instead?

I have an HD-DVD rental disc from Netflix that I cannot play. I would rather save time and burn the firmware, but I've read the other threads, and successful burning and installation of the software seem extremely risky.

Thanks for any help. I'm a bit lost as to what's the best course to take now.

John
post #18 of 234 Old 08-09-2007, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

I have an HD-XA1 thats approximately a year old. This is my first time around in updating the firmware. Should I go directly to 2.3? Or get an upgrade disc from Toshiba instead?

I have an HD-DVD rental disc from Netflix that I cannot play. I would rather save time and burn the firmware, but I've read the other threads, and successful burning and installation of the software seem extremely risky.

Thanks for any help. I'm a bit lost as to what's the best course to take now.

John

You can go directly to 2.3. Also, for the most part, upgrading via burned disc is quite safe. The majority of problems people are having with burned discs are either that the disc cannot be read in the player period or that the firmware upgrade craps out midway through the upgrade. Neither of those situations should harm the player.

I've upgraded to firmware versions 2.0 and 2.2 via the internet, and to 2.3 via burned disk and all ended well. The firmware update did crap out once or twice while using the internet upgrade method, but as I mentioned no harm was done to the player. Simply restart it and try again.

Hope this helps .
post #19 of 234 Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Bah,

I've made a half dozen or so coasters with NERO so far.

I'm using TDK CD-R media.

Any suggestions? NERO log follows.

Windows XP 5.1
IA32
WinAspi: -

NT-SPTI used
Nero Version: 7.10.1.0
Internal Version: 7, 10, 1, 0

Recorder: Version: U201 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.10.1.0
Adapter driver: HA 1
Drive buffer : 2048kB
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ?
CD-ROM: Version: U201 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.10.1.0

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : ST94011A atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: Off

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F D: CdRom0
=======================

AutoRun : 1
Excluded drive IDs:
WriteBufferSize: 66060288 (0) Byte
BUFE : 0
Physical memory : 446MB (457712kB)
Free physical memory: 115MB (118632kB)
Memory in use : 74 %
Uncached PFiles: 0x0
Use Inquiry : 1
Global Bus Type: default (0)
Check supported media : Disabled (0)

CD Image
10:38:32 AM #1 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 424
LockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL

10:38:33 AM #2 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3196
SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F
Super Link activated

10:38:33 AM #3 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3508
Turn on Disc-At-Once, using CD-R/RW media

10:38:34 AM #4 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 307
Last possible write address on media: 336224 ( 74:44.74)
Last address to be written: 19068 ( 4:16.18)

10:38:34 AM #5 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 319
Write in overburning mode: NO (enabled: CD)

10:38:34 AM #6 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2972
Recorder: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F;
CDR code: 00 97 31 01; OSJ entry from: Ritek Co.
ATIP Data:
Special Info [hex] 1: D0 00 98, 2: 61 1F 01 (LI 97:31.01), 3: 4A 2D 00 (LO 74:45.00)
Additional Info [hex] 1: 00 00 80 (invalid), 2: 00 80 00 (invalid), 3: 00 80 80 (invalid)

10:38:34 AM #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 493
>>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<<br /> =========================================

10:38:34 AM #8 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 793
Setup items (after recorder preparation)
0: TRM_DATA_MODE1 (2 - CD-ROM Mode 1)
2 indices, index0 (150) not provided
original disc pos #0 + 19069 (19069) = #19069/4:14.19
not relocatable, disc pos for caching/writing not required/not required
-> TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048, config 0, wanted index0 0 blocks, length 19069 blocks [D: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F]
--------------------------------------------------------------

10:38:34 AM #9 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 995
Prepare [D: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F] for write in CUE-sheet-DAO
DAO infos:
==========
MCN: ""
TOCType: 0x00; Session Closed, disc fixated
Tracks 1 to 1: Idx 0 Idx 1 Next Trk
1: TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048/0x00, FilePos 0 307200 39360512, ISRC ""
DAO layout:
===========
___Start_|____Track_|_Idx_|_CtrlAdr_|_____Size_|______NWA_|_ RecDep__________
-150 | lead-in | 0 | 0x41 | 0 | 0 | 0x00
-150 | 1 | 0 | 0x41 | 0 | 0 | 0x00
0 | 1 | 1 | 0x41 | 19069 | 19069 | 0x00
19069 | lead-out | 1 | 0x41 | 0 | 0 | 0x00

10:38:34 AM #10 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 215
SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME

10:38:34 AM #11 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 4294
Caching options: cache CDRom or Network-No, small files-No (<64KB)

10:38:34 AM #12 Phase 36 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1762
Burn process started at 4x (600 KB/s)

10:38:34 AM #13 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 2721
Verifying disc position of item 0 (not relocatable, no disc pos, no patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

10:38:34 AM #14 Text 0 File MMC.cpp, Line 17687
StartDAO : CD-Text - Off

10:38:34 AM #15 Text 0 File MMC.cpp, Line 22363
Set BUFE: Super Link -> ON

10:38:34 AM #16 Text 0 File MMC.cpp, Line 17915
CueData, Len=32
41 00 00 14 00 00 00 00
41 01 00 10 00 00 00 00
41 01 01 10 00 00 02 00
41 aa 01 14 00 04 10 13

10:38:42 AM #17 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 269
Pipe memory size 66059200

10:38:49 AM #18 SPTI -1064 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 179
CdRom0: SCSIStatus(x02) WinError(0) NeroError(-1064)
Sense Key: 0x05 (KEY_ILLEGAL_REQUEST)
Sense Code: 0x21
Sense Qual: 0x02
CDB Data: 0x2A 00 00 00 01 C0 00 00 20 00 00 00
Sense Area: 0xF0 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 02
Buffer x079d03c0: Len x10000
0x9C BF 60 B3 4E 9B 4F 30 D8 9C 37 16 FC 27 35 5B
0x40 CE C6 75 BB 2A 79 00 F2 68 F2 C2 57 8E C3 55
0xFE E5 BD 76 BC 81 4A 7D AC 6B 21 10 8A E6 01 08

10:38:49 AM #19 CDR -1064 File Writer.cpp, Line 303
Invalid block address
D: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F

10:38:50 AM #20 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1762
Burn process failed at 4x (600 KB/s)

10:38:50 AM #21 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 261
SPTIDismountVolume - completed successfully for FSCTL_DISMOUNT_VOLUME

10:38:52 AM #22 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 11185
DriveLocker: UnLockVolume completed

10:38:52 AM #23 Text 0 File SCSIPTICommands.cpp, Line 424
UnLockMCN - completed sucessfully for IOCTL_STORAGE_MCN_CONTROL

Existing drivers:

Registry Keys:
HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\WinLogon\\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)
post #20 of 234 Old 08-10-2007, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyE View Post

Bah,

I've made a half dozen or so coasters with NERO so far.

I'm using TDK CD-R media.

Any suggestions? NERO log follows.

Other people who have experienced problems burning also appear to be using TDK media, which makes me suspect that the Toshiba player doesn't like that media type.

Your burner appears to be a Samsung, which is what I use (Apparently a different model though). I've had good success using Memorex CD-R media in my DVD player/CD burner combo drive, so you might want to try picking up some Memorex CD-R's and trying your luck with those. Also note that I've upgraded my drives firmware several times, so you may wish to check the Samsung site for an upgraded firmware for your drive, just to rule out any firmware bugs.
post #21 of 234 Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I have burnt like 5 disk all sucessfull I will help as much as I can.

I am currently using

MAXELL CD-R

First I go here.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

Then I use Nero 7 ( express ) Doesnt matter wich ver.
Open ------------ BURN TO DISK IMAGE
Open -------------IMAGE PROJECT, COPY
Open -------------DISK IMAGE OR SAVED PROJECT

Locate the downloaded ISO file ( I usually save to desktop )

Select ISO file

BURN ( Speed does not matter )

When you burn ISO ( with 7 ) no settings required. Everything is set for you.

I leave -------------verify data on disk after burning ( UNCHECKED )

Burn process completed successfully at 24x (3,600 KB/s)

This has worked several times, Good luck.

Burn Log

************************************************************ ************************************************************ ************************************************************

Windows XP 5.1
IA32
WinAspi: -
ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\\Program Files\\Nero\\Nero 7\\Core\\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.74, size=164112 bytes, created 11/2/2004 1:54:32 PM

NT-SPTI used
Nero Version: 7.0.0.0 (Nero Express)
Recorder: Version: 1.52 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.0.0.0
Drive buffer : 2048kB
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ?
CD-ROM: Version: 1.52 - HA 1 TA 0 - 7.0.0.0

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : HTS541060G9AT00 atapi Port 0 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 2 ID 0 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 2 ID 1 DMA: Off
CdRomPeripheral : Generic DVD-ROM 1.0 d347prt Port 2 ID 3 DMA: Off

=== CDRom-Device-Map ===
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S D: CDRom0
Generic DVD-ROM E: CDRom1
Generic DVD-ROM F: CDRom2
Generic DVD-ROM H: CDRom3
=======================

AutoRun : 1
Excluded drive IDs:
WriteBufferSize: 73400320 (0) Byte
ShowDrvBufStat : 0
BUFE : 0
Physical memory : 502MB (514480kB)
Free physical memory: 57MB (59192kB)
Memory in use : 88 %
Uncached PFiles: 0x0
Use Inquiry : 1
Global Bus Type: default (0)
Check supported media : Disabled (0)

CD Image
2:58:59 AM #1 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3007
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S
SmoothLink activated

2:58:59 AM #2 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 525
ReadBuffer-Pipe got 71680KB of Memory

2:58:59 AM #3 Text 0 File Reader.cpp, Line 124
Reader running

2:58:59 AM #4 Text 0 File Writer.cpp, Line 113
Writer D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S running

2:58:59 AM #5 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 3301
Turn on Disc-At-Once, using CD-R/RW media

2:58:59 AM #6 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 277
Last possible write address on media: 359845 ( 79:59.70)
Last address to be written: 19218 ( 4:18.18)

2:58:59 AM #7 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 289
Write in overburning mode: NO (enabled: CD)

2:58:59 AM #8 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2568
Recorder: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S

2:58:59 AM #9 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 456
>>> Protocol of DlgWaitCD activities: <<<<br /> =========================================

2:58:59 AM #10 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 846
Setup items (after recorder preparation)
0: TRM_DATA_MODE1 (2 - CD-ROM Mode 1)
2 indices, index0 (150) not provided
original disc pos #0 + 19219 (19219) = #19219/4:16.19
relocatable, disc pos for caching/writing not required/not required, patch infos
-> TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048, config 0, wanted index0 0 blocks, length 19219 blocks [D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S]
--------------------------------------------------------------

2:58:59 AM #11 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1058
Prepare recorder [D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S] for write in CUE-sheet-DAO
DAO infos:
==========
MCN: ""
TOCType: 0x00; Session Closed, disc fixated
Tracks 1 to 1:
1: TRM_DATA_MODE1, 2048/0x00, FilePos 0 307200 39667712, ISRC ""
DAO layout:
===========
__Start_|____Track_|_Idx_|_CtrlAdr_|_RecDep__________
-150 | lead-in | 0 | 0x41 | 0x00
-150 | 1 | 0 | 0x41 | 0x00
0 | 1 | 1 | 0x41 | 0x00
19219 | lead-out | 1 | 0x41 | 0x00

2:58:59 AM #12 Text 0 File SCSIPassThrough.cpp, Line 34
SPTILockVolume - completed successfully for FCTL_LOCK_VOLUME

2:59:00 AM #13 Phase 24 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1724
Caching of files started

2:59:00 AM #14 Text 0 File Burncd.cpp, Line 4129
Cache writing successful.

2:59:00 AM #15 Phase 25 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1724
Caching of files completed

2:59:00 AM #16 Phase 36 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1724
Burn process started at 24x (3,600 KB/s)

2:59:00 AM #17 Text 0 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 2669
Verifying disc position of item 0 (relocatable, no disc pos, patch infos, orig at #0): write at #0

2:59:00 AM #18 Text 0 File MMC.cpp, Line 16828
StartDAO : CD-Text - Off

2:59:00 AM #19 Text 0 File MMC.cpp, Line 21541
Set BUFE: SmoothLink -> ON

2:59:00 AM #20 Text 0 File MMC.cpp, Line 17059
CueData, Len=32
41 00 00 14 00 00 00 00
41 01 00 10 00 00 00 00
41 01 01 10 00 00 02 00
41 aa 01 14 00 04 12 13

2:59:02 AM #21 Text 0 File Cdrdrv.cpp, Line 1195
02:59:02.281 - D: MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-840S : Queue again later

2:59:56 AM #22 Text 0 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 116
start writing Lead-Out at LBA 19219 (4B13h), length 0 blocks

2:59:56 AM #23 Text 0 File ThreadedTransfer.cpp, Line 228
all writers idle, stopping conversion

3:00:06 AM #24 Phase 37 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1724
Burn process completed successfully at 24x (3,600 KB/s)

Existing drivers:

Registry Keys:
HKLM\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\WinLogon\\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

( Updating )

ray is the best Blah, blah, blah.
post #22 of 234 Old 08-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Liked: 14
I am attempting to update my player with the newest firmare (2.2). I got it off the Toshiba site, and I believed I got is burn successfully onto a CD-R. When I pop it into my player, I get the following error message: "non DVD format disc..cannot play".

I will take a stab at the problem. Is it that I did not use a correct program to burn the ISO file? I might have access to Nero. I'm not sure. But to create the disc, I just used Windows XP.

Is this the problem, or is it something else.

Thank you.

Nick
post #23 of 234 Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 AM

I don't know if this helps, but the player displays "MSS G", while the display shows "This disc is not DVD format. Cannot play the disc" This seems especially odd, since I have read extensively that this player does excellent CD playback.
What gives?

Nick
post #24 of 234 Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 AM

Used ISO specific burning software and VIOLA! Ver 2.2 is up and running.

Nick
post #25 of 234 Old 08-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post

Other people who have experienced problems burning also appear to be using TDK media, which makes me suspect that the Toshiba player doesn't like that media type.

Your burner appears to be a Samsung, which is what I use (Apparently a different model though). I've had good success using Memorex CD-R media in my DVD player/CD burner combo drive, so you might want to try picking up some Memorex CD-R's and trying your luck with those. Also note that I've upgraded my drives firmware several times, so you may wish to check the Samsung site for an upgraded firmware for your drive, just to rule out any firmware bugs.

Slaine, thank you much. Upgraded with first try on Memorex CD-R media.

I shall watch 300 today!

For others, I did not upgrade my firmware for my burner. The PC is around a couple years old...

Guess this isnt my week. My disc is dying on Chapters 17 and 18 ...
post #26 of 234 Old 08-11-2007, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonnyE View Post

Slaine, thank you much. Upgraded with first try on Memorex CD-R media.

I shall watch 300 today!

For others, I did not upgrade my firmware for my burner. The PC is around a couple years old...

Guess this isnt my week. My disc is dying on Chapters 17 and 18 ...

Try deleting everything from persistent storage and then initializing the player (Write down all settings first, especially in the audio section, as these will be lost!). Once that's done, unplug the player and hit the power button again (While it is still unplugged). The power light will flicker and go out again. Leave for a few minutes and re-plug the machine back in. Re-enter any custom settings (Especially 'Dynamic Range Control, which seems to default to 'On' after a reset) and see if you have better luck.

For what it's worth, I performed those steps after having playback problems with 'The Bourne Identity' using firmware 2.3. I had no further issues watching that movie and '300' played flawlessly as well. Mind you, it's possible the routine described above is the electronic equivalent of a voodoo dance, but I've had no problems with movies after performing those steps following a firmware upgrade.
post #27 of 234 Old 08-13-2007, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Good advise Slaine after you do the upgrade. I do the same with peristent storage and unpluging the player after each upgrade. I only had the error stating non dvd format message once and I retried the disk with no issues on one of the upgrades. I use Burn at Once to write ISO files. I find it easier than Nero and I get fewer errors and it is free and very fast.
post #28 of 234 Old 08-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Burned at 4x on Nero, loaded and updated no problem...Maybe 10 mins on the outside.

Did the 30 day free trial of Nero and that's all it took. Longest part of the process was downloading the Nero trial version.

300 ran flawlessly.

--D

Easy Button End Table w/IXL18.2...1700cf room + REW = Base bliss!
post #29 of 234 Old 08-19-2007, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Burning an ISO is not putting an .iso file on the disk. It is using an ISO file to create a disk image.

Using Nero 6.6 SmartStart, choose CD [or DVD] from the dropdown and then Make Data CD [or DVD]. This should bring up Nero Burning ROM.

From the Recorder Menu item, choose Burn Image. Put a disk in the burner. Using the file list popup, select your ISO file.

Now continue as the OP suggests. However, once the burn starts, check the VERIFY box. When the burn completes, the disk will eject for a moment then go back in and be compared against the ISO file. If it passes, you will know you have a good disk. For flashing with a CD you really want to verify the CD copy first.
post #30 of 234 Old 08-23-2007, 09:54 AM
njt

Used the settings in the screenshot in post 1, a standard CompUSA CDR, the slowest burning spped and the update ran fine.

Didn't notice any issues out of the box (just got the player last week). But the version it was shipped with was 1.3 I belive, so the tech in me was compelled to go to 2.2.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page