Blu-Ray not selling well in UK? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look at this post in What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision. Only 1400 stand alone blu-ray players sold? Man....

http://whathifi.com/home%2Dcinema/

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD supporter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm format neutral, with an A2 and PS3, but I didn't think the stand alones were selling that bad in the UK. Wow..

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD supporter.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

There is no way you can possibly spin 1400 units as a success. I knew the PS3 was important to Blu-Ray, but damn, 1400 SO units is pathetic.

Toshiba's probably sold more A2s *today* than Sony sold in the UK to date. HD-DVD dead? Riiiight.
post #4 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Aside from the utter irrelevance of the hardware sales when they exclude the most common player (PS3) and contradict software sales, wouldn't this be a subject for the BD forums?

Be a Reality fanboy.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Ouch, the BDA had better hope that the PS3 doesn't get b!tchs1@pped to death this holiday season by the 360 and Wii.
post #6 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

How are those HD-DVD disk sales going in the UK???
post #7 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I dunno, I don't think I've ever seen any info on HD disc sales in the UK on either format
post #8 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottscay View Post

Aside from the utter irrelevance of the hardware sales when they exclude the most common player (PS3) and contradict software sales, wouldn't this be a subject for the BD forums?

PS3 is a game machine, not a standalone BD player. The BD player in it is merely a feature of the game machine, nothing more. So forgive reviewers for not taking a page out of the BDA playbook and calling it BD hardware or standalone, because it simply is not.
post #9 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builty View Post

Do you have a link or anything credible to add?
post #10 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I hate it for you, but this can not rest on the PS3. At some point stand alone players have to sell.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post

PS3 is a game machine, not a standalone BD player. The BD player in it is merely a feature of the game machine, nothing more. So forgive reviewers for not taking a page out of the BDA playbook and calling it BD hardware or standalone, because it simply is not.

Or the Toshiba book for calling it a player when they talk about attach ratios

Most horrendous thing in the article is reading about Star Trek being redone with CGI, wtf are they smoking Granted I'm very curious to see what they've done.

Turn all of these guys into CG, lol

post #12 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

I hate it for you, but this can not rest on the PS3. At some point stand alone players have to sell.

Correct. It is amazing to me why BD fans cannot see past this. The PS3 is FIRST and foremost, a game machine. The BD drive in it is just one of the features of this game machine. Wether people use it as a player of BDs is not that important because BD playing is not its primary function. I have had a PS2 for almost 5 years now, and I am yet to play a DVD in it. The DVD player is merely a feature on the gamer that I don't chose to use, because I have a standalone DVD player dedicated to that purpose alone. This is the dilemma that faces Sony, this is why their player to movie attach rates are bad, this is why standalone sales is king, this is why 1 Million HD DVD standalone sales will more than surpass 3 Million PS3 sales.
post #13 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by builty View Post

Um, just a guess since no data is available, but quite well. For one thing Austrian and European HD's are being bought US and Canadian buyers as well as their own native market. And if it wasn't doing well I expect Sony would has issued a press statement bragging on Blu.
The sad fact is even with 3.8 million Blu players worldwide, including the PS3, Blu disk sales are anemic. HD DVD has healthy sales for under 1 million players.
post #14 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Good point. The boost in Blu sales took off exactly when the PS3 entered the market. Now they are slowing down and HD seems to be picking up. I wonder if the PS3 will have the effect Sony claims it does. Standalone players or add ons bought specifically to play movies are the key.
Bragging they have 3+ million Blu players sold seem more like a condemnation since they are not selling movies (or the games for it).
post #15 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

remember,many of the ps3 in the wild are not even connected to hdtv's,so buying a blu ray disk for a movie makes no sense,i'm guessing more then 75% of the ps3 are useless to blu ray disk movie sales

nearly all stand alone players are connected to hdtv's ,so movies are bought for using their tv's to achieve the best picture and sound (stereo's)

as this curve continues down this path ,we will see hddvd continue to gain

look at this weeks hddvd add on sales spike ,we will also see a spike in sales for hddvd movies as well
post #16 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, this is a very true point. PS3 is great, but I doubt it's ever going to reach mass-market prices. Even 4-5 years down the line, I doubt the PS3 will ever be under $199. HD-DVD players are already reaching those prices. And by that time HD-DVD players will be like $50 from China. The PS3's relevance in the format war will only be for the next year at most. By that time stand-alone sales will have likely eclipsed any console factor. If Sony and BDA are still relying of the PS3 at that time, they're are going to be in for a big surprise.
post #17 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereality View Post

Yes, this is a very true point. PS3 is great, but I doubt it's ever going to reach mass-market prices. Even 4-5 years down the line, I doubt the PS3 will ever be under $199. HD-DVD players are already reaching those prices. And by that time HD-DVD players will be like $50 from China. The PS3's relevance in the format war will only be for the next year at most. By that time stand-alone sales will have likely eclipsed any console factor. If Sony and BDA are still relying of the PS3 at that time, they're are going to be in for a big surprise.

Cost is absolutely the driving force, especially in Europe. Browsing through Amazon UK, the HD-E1 (HD-A2 equivalent) sells for about $400 + shipping. Way more than in the US.

The cheapest Blu-Ray player was $900, and some sell for almost $2,000! The PS3 sells for $800. Xbox 360 core sells for $400.

In the dvd player top 100 category, the HD-E1 was ranked about #30. I didn't see a single BR player in the top 100.

The Xbox 360 addon is about $220 shipped and that is interesting since it is reasonably close to the USA price. It seems to be showing strong interest both as an addon to the Xbox, and as a HD DVD player for a HTPC. This is not surprising considering it's by far the lowest price point for anyone that already has a decent HTPC or Xbox.

Reading through the comments for the HD-E1 and Xbox addon, there was a lot of interest in price, lack of region coding, and video quality. Region coding was of strong interest and many commented on the fact that HD-DVD did not have region protection and HD-DVD disks from the USA play fine in their players. They also commented on the fact that the HD-E1 and Xbox addon are not region free for standard DVD's.

The lack of region coding should not be underestimated. It seems to be a major consideration.

Overall my impression is HD-DVD has some interest. Blu-ray does not appear to be on the radar at all, based on standalones. The lower price and lack of region coding for HD-DVD will make it the obvious choice.
post #18 of 22 Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thDanMaster View Post

Do you have a link or anything credible to add?

Credible? Dunno, but for what its worth:
http://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hdbdmr2.jpg

My point is, the thread is intentionally misleading. He says "blu-ray not selling" which implies that its everything blu-ray, when there seems to be some evidence that Europe is following down the line of the USA, that being stand-alone BD players don't sell as well as the HD-DVD ones, but overall market share for BD in hardware and software is heavily in favour.

By the way, 5thDanMaster, rumour has it that you are in fact Oshodi. Is it true you've create about 5 accounts which 4 being banned??
post #19 of 22 Old 08-03-2007, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

exactly. if they don't all the CE companies making BD players will cease doing so as there's no money in it.
post #20 of 22 Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
In terms of playback performance and operation times the PS3 outperforms any other Blu-ray players in the market. Also the pricing of Blu-ray players in rest of the world is way too high. This has forced many to go for the PS3. The reality is Blu-ray discs are doing well in the U.K but not standalone Blu-ray players.

Blu-ray : 340
post #21 of 22 Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Aside from the utter irrelevance of the hardware sales when they exclude the most common player (PS3) and contradict software sales

Every ps3 connected to a standard definition television is one less ps3 that matters.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #22 of 22 Old 08-03-2007, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey View Post

Most horrendous thing in the article is reading about Star Trek being redone with CGI, wtf are they smoking Granted I'm very curious to see what they've done.

Catch it on TV, it's been done very well and in a classy way, similar to what was done with The Motion Picture Director's Cut. They've redone all the exterior shots with CG, but have made a good attempt at still making it look like late 60s special effects technology. Essentially, they cleaned up the show, and I'm eager to see it in HD. They didn't go Star Wars Special Edition crazy with it.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page