Local Costco selling more HD-DVD players than Blu! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My wife and I were at our local Costco today and, as we approached the entrance, I saw a fellow pushing a brand new Vizio 42" HDTV out the door with a Toshiba HD-D2 player sitting on top of it. Put a smile on my face (the HD-DVD player, not the Vizio! ).

Anyway, inside the store, I struck up a conversation with the Costco employee in charge of the video dept. Asked him flat out, which was selling better... the Toshiba HD-D2 or the Sony Blu-ray player they carry. He said the Toshiba was easily the better seller. At $200 less expensive, it's a no-brainer for most folks just getting into the whole HDTV thing (which happens a LOT at Costco. Particularly when he explained to them that he felt the Toshiba did a better job of upscaling the image from regular DVD.

BTW, my Costco had BOTH players on different end caps and both were connected to big sets and playing their respective HD demo discs. The HD-DVD player was closer to the front door though!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
No surprise there. Even at BestBuy and every other electonics outlet in North America (except Sony Style stores) HD DVD stand alone players will outsell blu-ray players due to price.
post #3 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I was in BB today and all their HD DVD players (HD-A2 and HD-A20) were sold out. Just one HD-A2 display model sitting on the shelf, not hooked up to anything. Plenty of Blu-ray players were in stock, though. And at least three Blu-ray demo end cap displays in full operation - they had no HD DVD players hooked up and running anywhere that I could see.

Lots of Blu-ray discs out on display, too. I had too look harder to find their HD DVD's.
post #4 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

My local BJs (similar to Costco) stocks the HD-D2 but no standalone BD player. (They have the PS3 but it's not discounted.) I noticed they had only one HD-D2 in stock but plenty of stacks of regular DVD players. When I asked the stock guy if they had any more HD-D2's in stock he said that was the last one and they can't keep them in stock more than a few days.
post #5 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:00 PM

I was in Walmart today in CT. There was a HD DVD and Blu-Ray display for disks. It was one of the cubes with an equal amount of space given to both.

They had a few HD-A2's, the Walmart branded version, for $298. I did not see any Blu Ray standalones. Interestingly, the HD-A2's had some sort of anti-theft devices on them. I thought that was a little strange as none of the other DVD players or recorders had these on them.
post #6 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

HD DVD continues it player growth, good news. The recent news definitely helped out.
post #7 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

At $200 less expensive, it's a no-brainer for most folks just getting into the whole HDTV thing...

Bingo. I came pretty close to buying one myself at Costco just yesterday... but Amazon is still a bit less expensive. Plus I'm still not 100% sure which player to go for.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post

Bingo. I came pretty close to buying one myself at Costco just yesterday... but Amazon is still a bit less expensive. Plus I'm still not 100% sure which player to go for.

Can't beat the unlimited return policy with Costco...not that I'm saying you'd ever want to return a player just because the format lost

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #9 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:

My wife and I were at our local Costco today and, as we approached the entrance, I saw a fellow pushing a brand new Vizio 42" HDTV out the door with a Toshiba HD-D2 player sitting on top of it. Put a smile on my face (the HD-DVD player, not the Vizio! ).

Anyway, inside the store, I struck up a conversation with the Costco employee in charge of the video dept. Asked him flat out, which was selling better... the Toshiba HD-D2 or the Sony Blu-ray player they carry. He said the Toshiba was easily the better seller. At $200 less expensive, it's a no-brainer for most folks just getting into the whole HDTV thing (which happens a LOT at Costco. Particularly when he explained to them that he felt the Toshiba did a better job of upscaling the image from regular DVD.

BTW, my Costco had BOTH players on different end caps and both were connected to big sets and playing their respective HD demo discs. The HD-DVD player was closer to the front door though!

Mark

Well thats coscto....where no smart person shops for audio/video only cheap people looking to save money.

What about best buy and my work circuit city? Oh yeah blu-ray players and movies sell better there. Hmmmm i wonder why....
post #10 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Can't beat the unlimited return policy with Costco...

Yeah, I know what you mean. But these units tend to either be DOA or they run forever.

The price is $266 at Costco (after tax) and $239 at Amazon. The return policy is tempting, but is it worth $27? Tough call.
post #11 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

the more important question is the ratio regular old DVD players are outselling BD/HD-DVD combined. 20:1? 50:1? more?

and let's just stop with this anecdotal evidence...it really means nothing. support your position (um...bias) with some hard data if you want to be convincing.

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
post #12 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateBestBuy View Post

Well thats coscto....where no smart person shops for audio/video only cheap people looking to save money.

What about best buy and my work circuit city? Oh yeah blu-ray players and movies sell better there. Hmmmm i wonder why....

So people that want to save money are dumb? Seems I'm just slightly above the average salary of a Costco Customer ($50K). Lot of dumb people in this world making a decent living.

FWIW, I bought my Onkyo 605 for $360 about 3 weeks ago at Circuit City.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #13 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:

If that were the case, why are there 5 times as many HD DVD players as Blu Ray players?

j

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love, and be loved in return.
post #14 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Probably because there are a couple million more PS3's than either?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #15 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No it's called "Smart" shopping or best-bang-for-the-buck. I do it all the time!

Your name "IhateBestBuy" ??? Do you shop there? You sound confused.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #16 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 PM

FWIW, I returned my D2 to Costco yesterday (because I ordered an XA2) and the guy told me that "the blu-ray players are gathering dust" in that store.

On a different note... at the same Costco they put stickers on all the hi-def players stating that there is a 90-day return period on them (not "unlimited" as stated above). Maybe it's not the same at all stores, but that's how it is here in Charlotte, NC.
post #17 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:46 PM

Hawthorne, CA Costco Sucks. HD DVD and BetaRay on shelf, but no demo, no tv next to any of them. No inventory of any HD DVD title (as of 8/16) and 1 -4 disc BetaRay movie collection (cant recall what, though). Pretty healthy selection of SD DVD's though. Most people round here dont even bother with this Costco as a Fry's is right down the street, but with an anemic selection of HD DVD's (good prices though) compared to the racks (4 if I recall) of BetaRays.
post #18 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post

the more important question is the ratio regular old DVD players are outselling BD/HD-DVD combined. 20:1? 50:1? more?

and let's just stop with this anecdotal evidence...it really means nothing. support your position (um...bias) with some hard data if you want to be convincing.

This is the Amazon DVD Players category in order of best selling. It is trimmed down to show only HD players. The in-between numbers are SD players.

post #19 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 PM

just stopped by costco here in san diego. i noticed the toshiba hd dvd player was featured at the end of the isle, stocked on its own pallate, big sign reading $249.00, the rebate next to it, greeting you as you walk in. the sony br was down the isle, with the rest of the dvd players.
post #20 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trots View Post

I returned my D2 to Costco yesterday (because I ordered an XA2)...

Why'd you decide to go with the XA2 instead?

And did you order it from Costco?
post #21 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

no smart person works at circuit city either...

XBL/PSN: wirechild
post #22 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trots View Post

On a different note... at the same Costco they put stickers on all the hi-def players stating that there is a 90-day return period on them (not "unlimited" as stated above). Maybe it's not the same at all stores, but that's how it is here in Charlotte, NC.

That change took place this summer throughout the US and applies to TVs as well. If you bought before the change, you are covered by the old policy.
post #23 of 33 Old 08-23-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

So people that want to save money are dumb? Seems I'm just slightly above the average salary of a Costco Customer ($50K). Lot of dumb people in this world making a decent living.

Actually $50k is the average income of a Target consumer. The average Costco customer makes 70% more:

http://www.icsc.org/srch/sct/sct0703/index.php
Quote:

Costco’s demographics were also a major factor. The median age of Costco’s members is 51.8, and they have a median income of $85,000. That’s well above the U.S. medians of 35.6 and $41,000. More than 42 percent of Costco members earn upwards of $100,000 yearly, versus just 12.2 percent nationwide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1117 View Post

My local BJs (similar to Costco) stocks the HD-D2 but no standalone BD player. (They have the PS3 but it's not discounted.) I noticed they had only one HD-D2 in stock but plenty of stacks of regular DVD players. When I asked the stock guy if they had any more HD-D2's in stock he said that was the last one and they can't keep them in stock more than a few days.

So much for BJs being Blu-Ray exclusive.

Silence is Golden. Duct Tape is Silver.
post #24 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 02:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by trots
I returned my D2 to Costco yesterday (because I ordered an XA2)...

Why'd you decide to go with the XA2 instead?

And did you order it from Costco?

I went with the XA2 mainly for the 5.1 Analog output. I don't have an HDMI receiver and probably won't be springing for one for awhile.

I wasn't aware Costco carried the XA2. I hadn't checked, but I just looked now and all I could find was the A20. Anyway, I ordered it a couple of days ago from Value Electronics for the AVS club price, $577. My 90 days for Costco return would've been up today. I see now in another thread that Best Buy has them for $499. Oh well.
post #25 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Most all of the rich people that have retired and moved to Florida love Costco. These people can afford to shop anywhere they want to. I guess you need to inform these multimillionaires that they are dumb.
post #26 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is an ignorant comment.

Do you have any idea how much money these "cheap people" spend at Costco? Using a membership card that they had to pay for?
post #27 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 10:05 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I don't think it's a tough call at all, seems like $27 well spent. I bought my D2 at Costco in June, and my 3 months is up in Sept. Since the new A3 is coming out I'll probably return mine, and get the latest model. Plus my Netflix queue is basically empty for HD now which is a bummer since it seems like there just haven't been much in terms of new releases for HD lately.

jcg

Quote:

Yeah, I know what you mean. But these units tend to either be DOA or they run forever.

The price is $266 at Costco (after tax) and $239 at Amazon. The return policy is tempting, but is it worth $27? Tough call.

post #28 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

much much smarter than you believe that.....

also hd-dvd fanatics aka nerds the ps3 counts as a blu-ray player and has every single LAME player of yours dominated in sales figures. Now think about that and cry....cry cry cry you nerds.

Are you 15 years old?

Reported.

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #29 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Mark

Interesting, I had a similar but very opposite discussion at my Costco. They have stopped carrying HD DVD media because the D2 and the HD discs were not selling. He says the BD player is selling fairly well and they will continue to stock the BD discs for the short term.
post #30 of 33 Old 08-24-2007, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Costco sells a TON of HD merchandise! Best Buy or Circuit City would be lucky to turn so much product.

And, since you work at Circuit City, I KNOW you aren't making a bunch of money (they just recently fired all of their long-term employees and hired a bunch of replacement at minimum wage). So, being a lower-income person, of course you see afluent people saving money at Costco as "cheap".

The truth is, the SMART ones are the ones saving money by shopping at Costco!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page