3. Confirm your addresss

4. Choose "Super Saver" free S&H

5. VOILA - 3 Movies for 4 - price reduced to 179.99

Add 5-10 bucks if you want fast shipping

Total Value:

HD DVD, King Kong, 3 HD DVD's of your choice and 5 Via rebate

Rebate quick link:

http://assets.xbox.com/en-US/hardwar...HDDVDOffer.pdf

I Got a 2nd one to dedicate to my PC and used a new amazon.com card to get 30.00 off so for 149.00 shipped i got 9 more movies to put on Ebay and a HD DVD player for my PC to really experiment with on my PJ.. Gotta love netflix and being able to get HD DVD's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgot the amazon link - just grab the 3 movies from here and select the 360 hd dvd addon and voila - 171 - 189 depending on which 3 movies you select.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...22571&plpage=1
post #3 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Rebate Form: http://assets.xbox.com/en-US/hardwar...HDDVDOffer.pdf

Works with: Xbox 360

Windows Vista - out of the box
Windows XP - driver required (google Xbox 360 addon windows xp)

I have this drive working with PowerDVD and Nero. PowerDVD supports all high definition formats include 5.1/7.1 and with an ATI X2k card that can be found for 50-60 bucks you can enjoy crisp/clear HD DVD on your PC if you don't have a 360.
post #4 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 07:24 AM

I jumped in, without wife approval =), and I got HD-A20 for $300 with the movies. Pretty sweet!
post #5 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It took some sweet talking but i told her i was going to ebay all the movies and convert our netflix account to HD DVD to let me get this one I hogged the original tv up too much playing Bioshock that this will allow me to play the movie on our media center pc in the home theater room where it belongs to begin with.

i'm waiting for the a3's before i get a stand alone at this point in time, but welcome to the club. This deal is too good to be true!
post #6 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

#14 in video game sales, so its definitely moving some units and climbing up.
post #7 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

#8 now.

Please Digg the story
post #8 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #9 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM

I ordered to use this on my PC as I already have an HD-A1. And not one of the movies will be a redip! Woohoo.

Now, is there a clear page with instructions on how to get HD DVD playback on a PC with a monitor that only has VGA/DVI inputs. My Video card is HDCP capable, but my monitor is an older Dell 2005FPW with DVI/VGA only.

Lover of all things High Definition©
post #10 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
VGA is a SNAP. Its analog. No extra work required!!

In terms of LFE, size does matter!
post #11 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Thats what I wanted to confirm, you can still get the 1080p goodness out of it using VGA on the PC.

I have an 8800 GTS 320 with Dual DVI output and it came with DVI to VGA converters. I wonder if I will be able to output the VGA using the second DVI port and just switch inputs on my monitor.

Lover of all things High Definition©
post #12 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Makes me want to buy a second 360 HD DVD player. It basically covers the cost of the movies and the 360 HD DVD player is just a freebie!!!
post #13 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHDDVD View Post

Makes me want to buy a second 360 HD DVD player. It basically covers the cost of the movies and the 360 HD DVD player is just a freebie!!!

Thats how i justified my order. I chose movies i can sell well on Ebay and recover my costs as i already own a couple and i Netflix for the most part so this works out perfectly!
post #14 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 01:32 PM

So what kind of hookup am I using on this player? I have an Xbox360 hooked up using component right now (the xbox is a year or so old... so no HDMI) ... what are my options for getting the best video possible out of this player? The price really is pretty hard to pass up assuming I can actually take advantage of the technology.
post #15 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisvt99 View Post

So what kind of hookup am I using on this player? I have an Xbox360 hooked up using component right now (the xbox is a year or so old... so no HDMI) ... what are my options for getting the best video possible out of this player? The price really is pretty hard to pass up assuming I can actually take advantage of the technology.

Component is fine, you will get 720p/1080i or 1080p if your tv supports it over component. I use VGA on my tv at the tv's native pixel resolution and it looks great!
post #16 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 PM

So there's an obvious difference between this xbox player and a quality stardard def DVD player then?
post #17 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atisvt99 View Post

So there's an obvious difference between this xbox player and a quality stardard def DVD player then?

umm, you're talking 480p vs. 1080p

so if you have an HD display, even a 720p/1080i display,then yes, it's a huge difference

take hot fuzz for example:

Regular DVD
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...D/4f11e4c5.png

HD DVD:
http://www.imageviper.com/displayima...fuzzhddvd6.png

Blu-ray FTW
post #18 of 48 Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 PM

Great deal. I was on the fence about buying the add-on forever but this is what sealed it for me.
post #19 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronmhome View Post

Component is fine, you will get 720p/1080i or 1080p if your tv supports it over component. I use VGA on my tv at the tv's native pixel resolution and it looks great!

Is this true? I thought the hd-dvd drive only did 1080p over vga.

My tv supports 1080p over component (sony xbr4), but i thought the hd-dvd player only did 1080i over component?
post #20 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGu View Post

Is this true? I thought the hd-dvd drive only did 1080p over vga.

My tv supports 1080p over component (sony xbr4), but i thought the hd-dvd player only did 1080i over component?

Yes its true, 360 supports 1080p over component - just can't upconvert SD DVD on component - only VGA and HDMI

don't ask why
post #21 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronmhome View Post

Total Value:
HD DVD, King Kong, 3 HD DVD's of your choice and 5 Via rebate

Have they changed the deal? It appears that King Kong is now considered one of the freebies. They are only letting you choose 2 for free, in addition to the drive/KK combo.

Den:Toshiba 37" 37rv530u, DirecTV HR24, AppleTV2, Wii, JVC RX-D206B > Modified Sony Surround Speakers 5.1

Basement: Sony 51" KP-51HW40, DirecTV H24, AppleTV 2, XBOX 360 & One, Pioneer VSX-815 > JBL SCS150 7.1

Master Bedroom: LG 40", DirecTV H24, AppleTV 2, Looking for a good sound bar...

post #22 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinster View Post

Have they changed the deal? It appears that King Kong is now considered one of the freebies. They are only letting you choose 2 for free, in addition to the drive/KK combo.

The HD DVD's are buy 2 get one free so the third one is a freebie - add it to your cart and go through the checkout and in the final price page you will see the discount
post #23 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 AM

Thanks a lot for this deal!! I've been contemplating the 360 hd-dvd addon or waiting for a dual format player, but $187 was a great deal!

"Ohhh, its red wire to red wire. Pfft, what idiot dreamed that up?" -Homer Simpson (installing Satellite)
post #24 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth View Post

I ordered to use this on my PC ... Now, is there a clear page with instructions on how to get HD DVD playback on a PC with a monitor that only has VGA/DVI inputs. My Video card is HDCP capable, but my monitor is an older Dell 2005FPW with DVI/VGA only.

There are quite a few posts in the HTPC section. I will let you know as soon as mine shows up; ordered it last night! I could not resist any more the 9 movies covered the cost of the AO. It is almost like getting the AO for free.

From what I have read I don't think HDCP is a big issue at this point, however I could stand corrected. My video card and monitor are HDCP compliant and pass the HD DVD readiness test so I cannot help you there.

I am planning on running PowerDVD ultra from inside Vista Media Center. It looks like there is a fairly straight forward script to get it to auto load HD DVDs and provide a Media Center HD DVD menu choice. I really wish there was a streamlined Vista Media Center integrated solution that did not load a bunch of PowerDVD junk I don't want; not to mention paying for stuff I will never use and will probably only cause problems.
post #25 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Is this for US only? I tried it but it says, can't ship to my destination (Canada).

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #26 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 AM

I'm also on the fence until one or the other wins, but for now, spending $180 to get a whole bunch of movies doesn't sound too bad considering this war might go on for another year. It's not like if HD DVD loses that it's all that bad since I always have those movies.

Related question, in looking at getting this vs a stand alone player. On my 56" 1080i Toshiba (DLP), would I notice a big difference in picture quality going with the stand alone player vs the 360 add-on? Or any?
post #27 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGY44 View Post

I'm also on the fence until one or the other wins, but for now, spending $180 to get a whole bunch of movies doesn't sound too bad considering this war might go on for another year. It's not like if HD DVD loses that it's all that bad since I always have those movies.

Related question, in looking at getting this vs a stand alone player. On my 56" 1080i Toshiba (DLP), would I notice a big difference in picture quality going with the stand alone player vs the 360 add-on? Or any?

The biggest difference between a stand alone and the Xbox 360 + addon is Audio based. The xbox 360 will mix everything to 1.5mbit DTS over the optical port while Stand alones can offer analog 5.1 out or full HD Audio capability.

Used as a drive on a PC/MAC though there is no loss of functionality, only a financial limit of how much you want to squeeze out of it
post #28 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM

So are you saying that if I use the Add-on in my computer rather than hooked to my xbox 360, that it will output Dolby TrueHD/ LPCM in a format I can use on my home theatre?

I was not aware of that. All I would need is PowerDVD ultra? (yea, I know there's probably a lot about this in the htpc section, but this is the first i've heard that the HD-DVD add-on could output the lossless audio.

Can it do DTS HD-MA? Will PowerDVD upconvert DVD to native resolution, and do so well?

BTW, we jumped on this deal after we found that the A2 wasn't projected to ship until October, which runs up against the MIR free HD-DVD's deadline.
post #29 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief5286 View Post

So are you saying that if I use the Add-on in my computer rather than hooked to my xbox 360, that it will output Dolby TrueHD/ LPCM in a format I can use on my home theatre?

I was not aware of that. All I would need is PowerDVD ultra? (yea, I know there's probably a lot about this in the htpc section, but this is the first i've heard that the HD-DVD add-on could output the lossless audio.

Can it do DTS HD-MA? Will PowerDVD upconvert DVD to native resolution, and do so well?

BTW, we jumped on this deal after we found that the A2 wasn't projected to ship until October, which runs up against the MIR free HD-DVD's deadline.

That is correct, with PowerDVD Ultra you will have support for:

* High-definition format support - Playback of HD file formats H.264, HD MPEG-2, and WMV-HD
* Advanced display technologies - Exceptional support for widescreen monitors, including the latest content protection standards for digital connectors
* Hardware acceleration - Optimization for high-definition graphics processors from Intel, NVIDIA and ATI

Advanced Movie Interactivity

* Interactive movie features - BD-J and iHD technology provides links to online content, games, and other disc extras
* Next-gen navigation - Overlayed menus, movie bookmarks, and zooming offer new ways to enjoy movie content
* Advanced content - Movie commentaries displayed in Picture-in-Picture mode let you watch a movie while referencing content like comments from actors and the director

Home Theater Audio

* High-definition audio technologies - Pure high-definition audio with Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, DTS
* 8-channel surround sound - The ultimate home-theater audio support with true 7.1 channel Dolby Digital EX and 5.1 channel DTS
* Advanced audio effects - The feeling of surround sound quality via sound systems, headphones, and on notebook PCs, with technologies from Dolby, DTS, and CyberLink

The limitations of the drive while connected to the Xbox 360 is purely a limitation of the software/hardware support built into the xbox and not a limitation of the drive itself.
post #30 of 48 Old 08-29-2007, 12:48 PM

I have a question. Does the 360 HD-DVD upconvert regular DVD to at least 1080i? And right now my 360 is outputting 1080p through component, that will work with the HD-DVD player right? I'm just trying to decide if I should jump on this, and if I do what movies to get. If it doesn't upconvert then I'm going to pick up V for Vendetta in HD haha.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page