**Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread** - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
like msg44 - I posted this on the VE Preorder thread but it's probably more appropriate here.

I recently bought a new A30 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It replaced an Oppo 970 upconvert dvd player. Maybe it's because my TV is only 720p (Pio Elite 940) - or maybe because it's only 42" - or maybe it's just me - but I'm not as blown away by the HD dvd's as I thought I'd be. So far I've watched 300, Bourne Identity and the first disc of Planet Earth. It looks really good - but so does my HD cable TV - and even my old upconverted SD dvd's with my Oppo looked great.

I have the A30 set up to send 1080p/24 to my Pio (which can accept it over hdmi) - so I'm assuming that's the best setting for my situation - but it's just a bit of a letdown after reading so many glowing reports about the difference in HD dvd vs. SD dvd being the same as the difference between HD Cable TV vs. SD Cable TV. Maybe I expected too much - not sure. I did buy Corpse Bride and Serenity today and I'll give them a whirl - but thus far I'm not blown away by my new HD-dvd.

~Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM

Liked: 10
Is the 300 title in the box the same as retail version?
post #453 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM

whether or not you are blown away really depends on your exposure to HD. For a lot of people, the HD discs (Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD) simply are not much better than their HD cable/sat feed.

I think that by the time we get most channels in HD, there will be no novelty in this at all. High definition will be "standard", and we will be thoroughly unimpressed.
post #454 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is the 300 title in the box the same as retail version?

I'm assuming it is - although it did have a "not for resale" sticker on the plastic wrap.

~Bill
post #455 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM

I currently have the panasonic AE900U and the Onkyo TX-SR705. Which 3rd generation Toshiba HD player would you get?

Help
post #456 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknomo View Post

whether or not you are blown away really depends on your exposure to HD. For a lot of people, the HD discs (Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD) simply are not much better than their HD cable/sat feed.

I think that by the time we get most channels in HD, there will be no novelty in this at all. High definition will be "standard", and we will be thoroughly unimpressed.

That is when 1440P comes out
post #457 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well having dropped $349 on the A30, another ~$75 on Planet Earth and another ~$50 on Corpse Bride and Serenity - I hope you're wrong! (but I suspect you're right)

~Bill
post #458 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Considering cable/sat HD feeds are compressed enough to barely be considered HD, I think HD discs are clearly superior. It's like saying an MP3 sounds just as good as a CD track. For some it does, for others like me, not even close.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
post #459 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
H E Y ! ! !
There is already a "Value Electronics" thread on G3's.
Don't screw this thread up as well, with the same four questions 82 times each.
Thanks!

Man I hope one of these three G3's are for me!
I've been waiting for what seems like two yrs.
Oh wait, it has been "two yrs"!!!

Best 1080p24Hz output w/HBR (which is "only" the A35, right?) gets my $$$.
(and, hopefully, that will B Robert at VE)

EDitEDbyED:
WTF!!!
Now on this page, everyone is talking about DISPLAYS!!!
I guess I'll just go to the LCD Forum...
maybe they are posting about the G3's there!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
post #460 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM

just wondering if the release date for the A30 and A35 are the same for Canada as in the US. The toshiba.ca website doesn't even mention any of the 3g hd-dvd players
post #461 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg44 View Post

I agree with you BillKen. I have the Sammy 5687s and the A30. I was just hoping for more HIGH DEF from the expensive set up. I am using HDMI directly into the TV. Both are set to 1080p. I am not sure what more there is.

I put in SD disc of FINDING NEMO into the A20. I wasn't 100% impressed, though it still looked nice. I then through it into my old DVD player. The difference was hardly noticable. I hope that I really am missing something so that I can improve the PQ.

I watched The Bourne Identity HD-DVD. Again, it looked very nice but not nearly as sharp as I was anticipating...Any suggestions out there?

See if you can get an XA2 for $100 more from BB. Do a comparison side by side. You will be blown away by how sharp,more detail and brighter picture it has compare to A30.
post #462 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM

How do you think the PQ of the A35 will compare to the XA2?
post #463 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Must be your TV because it looks jaw dropping on my Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Interesting question.

I recently bought a new A30 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It replaced an Oppo 970 upconvert dvd player. Maybe it's because my TV is only 720p (Pio Elite 940) - or maybe because it's only 42" - or maybe it's just me - but I'm not as blown away by the HD dvd's as I thought I'd be. So far I've watched 300, Bourne Identity and the first disc of Planet Earth. It looks really good - but so does my HD cable TV - and even my old upconverted SD dvd's with my Oppo looked great.

I have the A30 set up to send 1080p/24 to my Pio (which can accept it over hdmi) - so I'm assuming that's the best setting for my situation - but it's just a bit of a letdown after reading so many glowing reports about the difference in HD dvd vs. SD dvd being the same as the difference between HD Cable TV vs. SD Cable TV. Maybe I expected too much - not sure. I did buy Corpse Bride and Serenity today and I'll give them a whirl - but thus far I'm not blown away by my new HD-dvd.

post #464 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting question.

I recently bought a new A30 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It replaced an Oppo 970 upconvert dvd player. Maybe it's because my TV is only 720p (Pio Elite 940) - or maybe because it's only 42" - or maybe it's just me - but I'm not as blown away by the HD dvd's as I thought I'd be.

It should look very good. However, you do have a small screen and probably won't notice as dramatic a difference as with a large one. Once you get over 80 inches or so, you start to see a huge improvement. I have a 120" screen and when I put SD 480p material up there that large, there is a HUGE softness to the image. 1080p material is a BIG improvement over that. But, again, it depends on the size of the display and the source material.

I've seen some pretty stellar looking 1080P material on 46" displays, but they were all 1080P capable -- Sony XBRs, Samsung 71 series. Sharp Aquos. If you're due for a TV upgrade, I would certainly look at one of the 1080P displays that offer 120hz. Or, just get a front projector. You can get a good 1080P front projector now for under 3K.
post #465 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Correct, but I was referring to sets in service before this month's new model announcements.

-Robert

The Hitachi 1080i sets have been available since the beginning/middle of 2006.
post #466 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

It should look very good. However, you do have a small screen and probably won't notice as dramatic a difference as with a large one. Once you get over 80 inches or so, you start to see a huge improvement. I have a 120" screen and when I put SD 480p material up there that large, there is a HUGE softness to the image. 1080p material is a BIG improvement over that. But, again, it depends on the size of the display and the source material.

I've seen some pretty stellar looking 1080P material on 46" displays, but they were all 1080P capable -- Sony XBRs, Samsung 71 series. Sharp Aquos. If you're due for a TV upgrade, I would certainly look at one of the 1080P displays that offer 120hz. Or, just get a front projector. You can get a good 1080P front projector now for under 3K.

heh - I just did "upgrade" to the Pioneer Elite 940hd (from a Samsung HL-R5067 DLP) which does "accept" 1080p/24 via hdmi - I got a really good deal on it prior to the Kuro's coming out and figured what the heck. Maybe I'm just expecting too much - the image on my Pionner is - as someone else posted - "jaw dropping" already - I just was hoping the HD DVD would make it more "jaw dropping" than it already is. I suppose with a 42" 720p display I was silly to expect miracles. I'm certainly not at all unhappy with my Pioneer and think it's one of the best looking pre-Kuro plasmas going - I guess I'm just slightly bummed that the hd dvd didn't make more of a difference - the picture is most definately better than the Oppo - but just not as big of a difference as I was expecting is all.

~Bill
post #467 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

heh - I just did "upgrade" to the Pioneer Elite 940hd (from a Samsung HL-R5067 DLP) which does "accept" 1080p/24 via hdmi - I got a really good deal on it prior to the Kuro's coming out and figured what the heck. Maybe I'm just expecting too much - the image on my Pionner is - as someone else posted - "jaw dropping" already - I just was hoping the HD DVD would make it more "jaw dropping" than it already is. I suppose with a 42" 720p display I was silly to expect miracles. I'm certainly not at all unhappy with my Pioneer and think it's one of the best looking pre-Kuro plasmas going - I guess I'm just slightly bummed that the hd dvd didn't make more of a difference - the picture is most definately better than the Oppo - but just not as big of a difference as I was expecting is all.

You might try having it professionally calibrated I think that is my next step.
post #468 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 PM

Hi, I have the HD-A1 and I was thinking about gettin the A30. But I was wondering for the people who has both A1 and A30 how the pq compared to the A1. I luv my A1 I was just wondering if it looks betting on the A30 thanx.
post #469 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

You might try having it professionally calibrated I think that is my next step.

What does calibration of a plasma involve? I have no clue myself.
Is it just the basic color settings, contrast....... etc?

If it's just the basic color calibrations, most people will adjust them to suit thier eyes. (For Example) Most of you set your color too high........ People's faces on reg. shows look like an Ooompa Loompa from Willy Wonka! BRIGHT RED or ORANGE

I like people to look real and not Real Sunburned!
post #470 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 172
CorCentral,

A plasma calibration will vary depending on accessability to some of the controls. Some manufacturers really don't won't anyone tinkering with some of the settings.

If you decide to go that route, what you want to ask is can your plasma be fully calibrated or are there some settings that can not be performed.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #471 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Damed, Only the HD-A30 will ship this month, in fact, they are likely to ship next week. The A3 are scheduled to ship Monday 10/01/07 and A35's by the end of October or a little sooner. Anyone buying a A30 will have their choice of which 5 title mail-in rebate they want. Since only A30 customers will have this option I will communicate directly with every A30 customer on how we'll take care of selecting their rebate.

roger_richards, the additional 10% discount only applies to the TV.

zeroendless, we wanted to give forum members several special discounted choices to select from. The second option costs an additional $30 over the first option and offers a premium HDMI cable, a portable B&W TV and double boxing the entire order.

We are sincerely working hard to provide the deepest discount prices, add value and choices to match as many customers needs and likes as possible. Many forum members took advantage of all four options so for us and for the vast majority of forum members the varied offers were received very well.

-Robert

Robert quick question. . . not sure if this was posted on the official thread, but I see on the pic of the display of the a35 that itsays 480 ip. does that mean that the unit will output 480i if we want to sent out native sd dvd's to a scaler? and if so is that only over component or will it do it over hdmi?

thanks alot,
jim
post #472 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well last night I fired up Corpse Bride and must say the difference between it and Bourne Identity & 300 is night and day. Everything just looked so much more crisp and defined than either of those other 2 movies. It was a pretty good movie too - definitely one to use to show off an HD-DVD player.

I see UMR is doing another calibration tour and will be in my area in January - I may just have him do up my Pioneer.

~Bill
post #473 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM

Hello just got my HD-A30 / Onkyo 575 from Robert at VE. Got home yesterday unpacked everything had my kids and nephews around me must of been like 10 kids, watching me opening the boxes, went to put the hdmi cable in the tv and boom everything went black. See we had a power outage and my wife was looking at me like what the hell did you do lol. So cant wait to get home today and try it out. Hmm I must be the only person in Puerto Rico with a G3 toshiba.
post #474 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDnooooob View Post

Hey guys, I'm new, so forgive the ignorance if you spot any. I got an HD-A30 last Thursday from Best Buy and plugged it into my new Samsung 5089 LED DLP TV. I played the Planet Earth HD DVD, and it looked fantastic when there were lots of colors and brightness. BUT when there were a mix of blacks and colors on the screen, white specks and lines (almost interference, it seemed) appeared everwhere. Of course, it showed up more in the black spots, but they were most everywhere. And, at times, the screen started flickering a bit.

I swapped my Planet Earth HD DVD for a new one but nothing changed. I swapped my HDMI 600 cable for an HDMI 1000 but nothing changed. I finally brought the A30 to Best Buy yesterday. We plugged it into a Pioneer Elite Plasma (?) and it looked great - no lines, no specks. Then we plugged it into Best Buy's 61" Samsung LED DLP TV (same as mine only bigger), and then we saw those ugly lines and specks appear again. They didn't know what to tell me, so I went home feeling really down.

So now, I'm lost. I don't know what to do. Is this a compatibility problem with LED DLP TVs? Is there a setting on the A30 I should know about? HELP PLEASE!!!!! I've ran out of options, I don't have any answers from anybody, and I don't know what questions to ask anymore. I'm a grown man but I'm about to cry. =p I want to start feeling good about my HDTV... HAAAAALP!!!

Planet Earth has PQ problems due to RF interference that ended up getting recorded onto the video. It's pretty bad in the Fresh Water disc as the camera pans over the falls. Now, some people don't see this strobing white pattern and I think it has to do with their display settings. My suggestion is to turn off DNie if it's on. That seems to make it much worse. There are a few threads here on this issue so don't be concerned that it's a player issue, Blu Ray has the same problem.
post #475 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesaint View Post

Considering cable/sat HD feeds are compressed enough to barely be considered HD, I think HD discs are clearly superior. It's like saying an MP3 sounds just as good as a CD track. For some it does, for others like me, not even close.

Sat feeds are consistent in their use of compressed signals. Cable providers vary greatly on the bandwidth they provide to their HD offerings. Some are excellent, some pretty bad.

I've seen cable HD feeds that look better than a bad HD disc (either format), so a lot rides on the transfer of the content.

On balance, a good transfer should look best when viewed on a HD format disc as opposed to cable or sat.

Of course, when you start mixing in video content vs film based content, the whole format comparison goes out the window.
post #476 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 AM

I'm a little surprised given that the A30 has been around for a week or so now that I'm still to read more than a handful of reviews. Most posts in the relevant threads seem to concern:

- Whether x TV can accept 1080p/24 signal?
- Why x TV has y picture defect?
- Is HD media better than cable/satellite HD?
- Is '300' the same as the retail version?

etc etc.............

It would be great and far more useful to actually hear the following from owners:

- Actual timings for booting up / disc loading etc (faster than G2?)
- Observations regarding the players general responsiveness
- From those with compatible displays, how do you rate HD-DVD at 1080p/24 compared to 1080(i/p)/60?
- How is the deinterlacing if outputting 1080p/60 - have the issues evident with the A20 been resolved?
- General observations when comparing it against G2 units.
- Any other issues to report?

I've just re-read my post and it actually sounds a bit snotty, apologies, this wasn't my intention!! It's just that I sold my A2 a few months back specifically to buy a new player that outputs 1080p/24. I'm interested to know whether there may be any issues with 1080p/24 output on the A30, and whether it is an improvement on the A20 in any regard?

Also, I'm aware of the extra benefits that you gain by choosing an XA2, but purely in terms of HD-DVD playback at 1080p/24, will there be any difference in PQ between the A30 & XA2? (once the issue with 1080p/24 being output at exactly 24 rather than 23.98 on the XA2 has been resolved).

Cheers, and best of luck to all you lucky owners!!
post #477 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why are there no indepth reviews of the A30?

Well there are a couple, both are mostly negative by posters with less than 10 posts.
I can't tell they are honest reviews, trolls, or worse planted posts from the blu ray camp.
post #478 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbrown21 View Post

It would be great and far more useful to actually hear the following from owners:

- From those with compatible displays, how do you rate HD-DVD at 1080p/24 compared to 1080(i/p)/60?
- How is the deinterlacing if outputting 1080p/60 - have the issues evident with the A20 been resolved?

- Approximately 45 seconds to boot up - about 20-30 seconds to load. No clue how that compares to G2 I don't have one.
- It seems pretty responsive - FF and RW are much choppier than my old Oppo though - everything else feels "normal" for a dvd player to me.
- My display only accepts 1080p/24 - but it seems fine with my Pioneer.
- Can't comment
- Can't comment
- My unit has locked up twice during boot up - both times I had to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to force it to reboot.

~Bill
post #479 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbrown21 View Post

I'm a little surprised given that the A30 has been around for a week or so now that I'm still to read more than a handful of reviews. Most posts in the relevant threads seem to concern:

- Whether x TV can accept 1080p/24 signal?
- Why x TV has y picture defect?
- Is HD media better than cable/satellite HD?
- Is '300' the same as the retail version?

etc etc.............

I've just re-read my post and it actually sounds a bit snotty, apologies, this wasn't my intention!! It's just that I sold my A2 a few months back specifically to buy a new player that outputs 1080p/24. I'm interested to know whether there may be any issues with 1080p/24 output on the A30, and whether it is an improvement on the A20 in any regard?

Also, I'm aware of the extra benefits that you gain by choosing an XA2, but purely in terms of HD-DVD playback at 1080p/24, will there be any difference in PQ between the A30 & XA2? (once the issue with 1080p/24 being output at exactly 24 rather than 23.98 on the XA2 has been resolved).

Cheers, and best of luck to all you lucky owners!!

Great questions! In addition, any confirmation as to which Anchor Bay chip is used for upconversion? It has been speculated that if it uses the newer chip, that upconversion might be fairly comparable to the Reon chip found in the XA2 -- could this be correct? If so, the A30 might be a great bargain indeed.
post #480 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:

- Approximately 45 seconds to boot up - about 20-30 seconds to load. No clue how that compares to G2 I don't have one.
- It seems pretty responsive - FF and RW are much choppier than my old Oppo though - everything else feels "normal" for a dvd player to me.
- My display only accepts 1080p/24 - but it seems fine with my Pioneer.
- Can't comment
- Can't comment
- My unit has locked up twice during boot up - both times I had to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to force it to reboot.

Cheers!! Extremely useful information.

Boot up and load times sound similar to G2 units, as does general responsivenes. It's slightly disappointing that these appear to be simply rehoused G2 units - BUT - my A2 was superb for playback and the only thing it lacked was 1080p/24. I'll get over a bit of slowness in operation if the AQ & PQ are of the same high standard, and with no motion judder!!

Once again, thanks for the info.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page