**Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread** - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #451 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BillKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
like msg44 - I posted this on the VE Preorder thread but it's probably more appropriate here.

I recently bought a new A30 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It replaced an Oppo 970 upconvert dvd player. Maybe it's because my TV is only 720p (Pio Elite 940) - or maybe because it's only 42" - or maybe it's just me - but I'm not as blown away by the HD dvd's as I thought I'd be. So far I've watched 300, Bourne Identity and the first disc of Planet Earth. It looks really good - but so does my HD cable TV - and even my old upconverted SD dvd's with my Oppo looked great.

I have the A30 set up to send 1080p/24 to my Pio (which can accept it over hdmi) - so I'm assuming that's the best setting for my situation - but it's just a bit of a letdown after reading so many glowing reports about the difference in HD dvd vs. SD dvd being the same as the difference between HD Cable TV vs. SD Cable TV. Maybe I expected too much - not sure. I did buy Corpse Bride and Serenity today and I'll give them a whirl - but thus far I'm not blown away by my new HD-dvd.

~Bill
BillKen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #452 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Member
 
P3R3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 300 title in the box the same as retail version?
P3R3 is offline  
post #453 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Member
 
nicknomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
whether or not you are blown away really depends on your exposure to HD. For a lot of people, the HD discs (Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD) simply are not much better than their HD cable/sat feed.

I think that by the time we get most channels in HD, there will be no novelty in this at all. High definition will be "standard", and we will be thoroughly unimpressed.
nicknomo is offline  
post #454 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BillKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:


Is the 300 title in the box the same as retail version?

I'm assuming it is - although it did have a "not for resale" sticker on the plastic wrap.

~Bill
BillKen is offline  
post #455 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Member
 
wbart4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the panasonic AE900U and the Onkyo TX-SR705. Which 3rd generation Toshiba HD player would you get?

Help
wbart4 is offline  
post #456 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Member
 
P3R3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknomo View Post

whether or not you are blown away really depends on your exposure to HD. For a lot of people, the HD discs (Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD) simply are not much better than their HD cable/sat feed.

I think that by the time we get most channels in HD, there will be no novelty in this at all. High definition will be "standard", and we will be thoroughly unimpressed.

That is when 1440P comes out
P3R3 is offline  
post #457 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BillKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknomo View Post

whether or not you are blown away really depends on your exposure to HD. For a lot of people, the HD discs (Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD) simply are not much better than their HD cable/sat feed.

I think that by the time we get most channels in HD, there will be no novelty in this at all. High definition will be "standard", and we will be thoroughly unimpressed.

Well having dropped $349 on the A30, another ~$75 on Planet Earth and another ~$50 on Corpse Bride and Serenity - I hope you're wrong! (but I suspect you're right)

~Bill
BillKen is offline  
post #458 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
littlesaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Brunswick, Ohio
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknomo View Post

whether or not you are blown away really depends on your exposure to HD. For a lot of people, the HD discs (Blu-Ray, and HD-DVD) simply are not much better than their HD cable/sat feed.

I think that by the time we get most channels in HD, there will be no novelty in this at all. High definition will be "standard", and we will be thoroughly unimpressed.

Considering cable/sat HD feeds are compressed enough to barely be considered HD, I think HD discs are clearly superior. It's like saying an MP3 sounds just as good as a CD track. For some it does, for others like me, not even close.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
littlesaint is offline  
post #459 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIG ED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: California Wine Country
Posts: 3,290
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
H E Y ! ! !
There is already a "Value Electronics" thread on G3's.
Don't screw this thread up as well, with the same four questions 82 times each.
Thanks!

Man I hope one of these three G3's are for me!
I've been waiting for what seems like two yrs.
Oh wait, it has been "two yrs"!!!

Best 1080p24Hz output w/HBR (which is "only" the A35, right?) gets my $$$.
(and, hopefully, that will B Robert at VE)

EDitEDbyED:
WTF!!!
Now on this page, everyone is talking about DISPLAYS!!!
I guess I'll just go to the LCD Forum...
maybe they are posting about the G3's there!

"I wonder if any of the releases had slipcovers though."
"Are these comfirmed to have slipcovers?"
"They look nice in those slips."
"This slipcover looks too good to pass up."
BIG ED is offline  
post #460 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Newbie
 
nightwing17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
just wondering if the release date for the A30 and A35 are the same for Canada as in the US. The toshiba.ca website doesn't even mention any of the 3g hd-dvd players
nightwing17 is offline  
post #461 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
vahid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msg44 View Post

I agree with you BillKen. I have the Sammy 5687s and the A30. I was just hoping for more HIGH DEF from the expensive set up. I am using HDMI directly into the TV. Both are set to 1080p. I am not sure what more there is.

I put in SD disc of FINDING NEMO into the A20. I wasn't 100% impressed, though it still looked nice. I then through it into my old DVD player. The difference was hardly noticable. I hope that I really am missing something so that I can improve the PQ.

I watched The Bourne Identity HD-DVD. Again, it looked very nice but not nearly as sharp as I was anticipating...Any suggestions out there?

See if you can get an XA2 for $100 more from BB. Do a comparison side by side. You will be blown away by how sharp,more detail and brighter picture it has compare to A30.
vahid is offline  
post #462 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Senior Member
 
th8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you think the PQ of the A35 will compare to the XA2?
th8ter is offline  
post #463 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Member
 
BoostGeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Must be your TV because it looks jaw dropping on my Samsung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Interesting question.

I recently bought a new A30 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It replaced an Oppo 970 upconvert dvd player. Maybe it's because my TV is only 720p (Pio Elite 940) - or maybe because it's only 42" - or maybe it's just me - but I'm not as blown away by the HD dvd's as I thought I'd be. So far I've watched 300, Bourne Identity and the first disc of Planet Earth. It looks really good - but so does my HD cable TV - and even my old upconverted SD dvd's with my Oppo looked great.

I have the A30 set up to send 1080p/24 to my Pio (which can accept it over hdmi) - so I'm assuming that's the best setting for my situation - but it's just a bit of a letdown after reading so many glowing reports about the difference in HD dvd vs. SD dvd being the same as the difference between HD Cable TV vs. SD Cable TV. Maybe I expected too much - not sure. I did buy Corpse Bride and Serenity today and I'll give them a whirl - but thus far I'm not blown away by my new HD-dvd.

BoostGeek is offline  
post #464 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ricwhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 2,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Interesting question.

I recently bought a new A30 and overall I'm pretty happy with it. It replaced an Oppo 970 upconvert dvd player. Maybe it's because my TV is only 720p (Pio Elite 940) - or maybe because it's only 42" - or maybe it's just me - but I'm not as blown away by the HD dvd's as I thought I'd be.

It should look very good. However, you do have a small screen and probably won't notice as dramatic a difference as with a large one. Once you get over 80 inches or so, you start to see a huge improvement. I have a 120" screen and when I put SD 480p material up there that large, there is a HUGE softness to the image. 1080p material is a BIG improvement over that. But, again, it depends on the size of the display and the source material.

I've seen some pretty stellar looking 1080P material on 46" displays, but they were all 1080P capable -- Sony XBRs, Samsung 71 series. Sharp Aquos. If you're due for a TV upgrade, I would certainly look at one of the 1080P displays that offer 120hz. Or, just get a front projector. You can get a good 1080P front projector now for under 3K.
ricwhite is offline  
post #465 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
ChrisCollins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 575
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Correct, but I was referring to sets in service before this month's new model announcements.

-Robert

The Hitachi 1080i sets have been available since the beginning/middle of 2006.
ChrisCollins is offline  
post #466 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BillKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

It should look very good. However, you do have a small screen and probably won't notice as dramatic a difference as with a large one. Once you get over 80 inches or so, you start to see a huge improvement. I have a 120" screen and when I put SD 480p material up there that large, there is a HUGE softness to the image. 1080p material is a BIG improvement over that. But, again, it depends on the size of the display and the source material.

I've seen some pretty stellar looking 1080P material on 46" displays, but they were all 1080P capable -- Sony XBRs, Samsung 71 series. Sharp Aquos. If you're due for a TV upgrade, I would certainly look at one of the 1080P displays that offer 120hz. Or, just get a front projector. You can get a good 1080P front projector now for under 3K.

heh - I just did "upgrade" to the Pioneer Elite 940hd (from a Samsung HL-R5067 DLP) which does "accept" 1080p/24 via hdmi - I got a really good deal on it prior to the Kuro's coming out and figured what the heck. Maybe I'm just expecting too much - the image on my Pionner is - as someone else posted - "jaw dropping" already - I just was hoping the HD DVD would make it more "jaw dropping" than it already is. I suppose with a 42" 720p display I was silly to expect miracles. I'm certainly not at all unhappy with my Pioneer and think it's one of the best looking pre-Kuro plasmas going - I guess I'm just slightly bummed that the hd dvd didn't make more of a difference - the picture is most definately better than the Oppo - but just not as big of a difference as I was expecting is all.

~Bill
BillKen is offline  
post #467 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yellowcanary73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: McKinney,Texas
Posts: 2,394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

heh - I just did "upgrade" to the Pioneer Elite 940hd (from a Samsung HL-R5067 DLP) which does "accept" 1080p/24 via hdmi - I got a really good deal on it prior to the Kuro's coming out and figured what the heck. Maybe I'm just expecting too much - the image on my Pionner is - as someone else posted - "jaw dropping" already - I just was hoping the HD DVD would make it more "jaw dropping" than it already is. I suppose with a 42" 720p display I was silly to expect miracles. I'm certainly not at all unhappy with my Pioneer and think it's one of the best looking pre-Kuro plasmas going - I guess I'm just slightly bummed that the hd dvd didn't make more of a difference - the picture is most definately better than the Oppo - but just not as big of a difference as I was expecting is all.

You might try having it professionally calibrated I think that is my next step.
yellowcanary73 is offline  
post #468 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Senior Member
 
mchamblissII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have the HD-A1 and I was thinking about gettin the A30. But I was wondering for the people who has both A1 and A30 how the pq compared to the A1. I luv my A1 I was just wondering if it looks betting on the A30 thanx.
mchamblissII is offline  
post #469 of 3694 Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM
Member
 
CorCentral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

You might try having it professionally calibrated I think that is my next step.


What does calibration of a plasma involve? I have no clue myself.
Is it just the basic color settings, contrast....... etc?

If it's just the basic color calibrations, most people will adjust them to suit thier eyes. (For Example) Most of you set your color too high........ People's faces on reg. shows look like an Ooompa Loompa from Willy Wonka! BRIGHT RED or ORANGE

I like people to look real and not Real Sunburned!
CorCentral is offline  
post #470 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JimP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wetumpka, AL
Posts: 15,251
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 172
CorCentral,

A plasma calibration will vary depending on accessability to some of the controls. Some manufacturers really don't won't anyone tinkering with some of the settings.

If you decide to go that route, what you want to ask is can your plasma be fully calibrated or are there some settings that can not be performed.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
JimP is offline  
post #471 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jimim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NEPA
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Damed, Only the HD-A30 will ship this month, in fact, they are likely to ship next week. The A3 are scheduled to ship Monday 10/01/07 and A35's by the end of October or a little sooner. Anyone buying a A30 will have their choice of which 5 title mail-in rebate they want. Since only A30 customers will have this option I will communicate directly with every A30 customer on how we'll take care of selecting their rebate.

roger_richards, the additional 10% discount only applies to the TV.

zeroendless, we wanted to give forum members several special discounted choices to select from. The second option costs an additional $30 over the first option and offers a premium HDMI cable, a portable B&W TV and double boxing the entire order.

We are sincerely working hard to provide the deepest discount prices, add value and choices to match as many customers needs and likes as possible. Many forum members took advantage of all four options so for us and for the vast majority of forum members the varied offers were received very well.

-Robert

Robert quick question. . . not sure if this was posted on the official thread, but I see on the pic of the display of the a35 that itsays 480 ip. does that mean that the unit will output 480i if we want to sent out native sd dvd's to a scaler? and if so is that only over component or will it do it over hdmi?

thanks alot,
jim
jimim is offline  
post #472 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BillKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well last night I fired up Corpse Bride and must say the difference between it and Bourne Identity & 300 is night and day. Everything just looked so much more crisp and defined than either of those other 2 movies. It was a pretty good movie too - definitely one to use to show off an HD-DVD player.

I see UMR is doing another calibration tour and will be in my area in January - I may just have him do up my Pioneer.

~Bill
BillKen is offline  
post #473 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 08:07 AM
Newbie
 
meijino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Mayaguez, PR
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello just got my HD-A30 / Onkyo 575 from Robert at VE. Got home yesterday unpacked everything had my kids and nephews around me must of been like 10 kids, watching me opening the boxes, went to put the hdmi cable in the tv and boom everything went black. See we had a power outage and my wife was looking at me like what the hell did you do lol. So cant wait to get home today and try it out. Hmm I must be the only person in Puerto Rico with a G3 toshiba.
meijino is offline  
post #474 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Skyeclad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDnooooob View Post

Hey guys, I'm new, so forgive the ignorance if you spot any. I got an HD-A30 last Thursday from Best Buy and plugged it into my new Samsung 5089 LED DLP TV. I played the Planet Earth HD DVD, and it looked fantastic when there were lots of colors and brightness. BUT when there were a mix of blacks and colors on the screen, white specks and lines (almost interference, it seemed) appeared everwhere. Of course, it showed up more in the black spots, but they were most everywhere. And, at times, the screen started flickering a bit.

I swapped my Planet Earth HD DVD for a new one but nothing changed. I swapped my HDMI 600 cable for an HDMI 1000 but nothing changed. I finally brought the A30 to Best Buy yesterday. We plugged it into a Pioneer Elite Plasma (?) and it looked great - no lines, no specks. Then we plugged it into Best Buy's 61" Samsung LED DLP TV (same as mine only bigger), and then we saw those ugly lines and specks appear again. They didn't know what to tell me, so I went home feeling really down.

So now, I'm lost. I don't know what to do. Is this a compatibility problem with LED DLP TVs? Is there a setting on the A30 I should know about? HELP PLEASE!!!!! I've ran out of options, I don't have any answers from anybody, and I don't know what questions to ask anymore. I'm a grown man but I'm about to cry. =p I want to start feeling good about my HDTV... HAAAAALP!!!


Planet Earth has PQ problems due to RF interference that ended up getting recorded onto the video. It's pretty bad in the Fresh Water disc as the camera pans over the falls. Now, some people don't see this strobing white pattern and I think it has to do with their display settings. My suggestion is to turn off DNie if it's on. That seems to make it much worse. There are a few threads here on this issue so don't be concerned that it's a player issue, Blu Ray has the same problem.
Skyeclad is offline  
post #475 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aydu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 3,655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesaint View Post

Considering cable/sat HD feeds are compressed enough to barely be considered HD, I think HD discs are clearly superior. It's like saying an MP3 sounds just as good as a CD track. For some it does, for others like me, not even close.

Sat feeds are consistent in their use of compressed signals. Cable providers vary greatly on the bandwidth they provide to their HD offerings. Some are excellent, some pretty bad.

I've seen cable HD feeds that look better than a bad HD disc (either format), so a lot rides on the transfer of the content.

On balance, a good transfer should look best when viewed on a HD format disc as opposed to cable or sat.

Of course, when you start mixing in video content vs film based content, the whole format comparison goes out the window.
aydu is offline  
post #476 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Member
 
stuartbrown21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a little surprised given that the A30 has been around for a week or so now that I'm still to read more than a handful of reviews. Most posts in the relevant threads seem to concern:

- Whether x TV can accept 1080p/24 signal?
- Why x TV has y picture defect?
- Is HD media better than cable/satellite HD?
- Is '300' the same as the retail version?

etc etc.............

It would be great and far more useful to actually hear the following from owners:

- Actual timings for booting up / disc loading etc (faster than G2?)
- Observations regarding the players general responsiveness
- From those with compatible displays, how do you rate HD-DVD at 1080p/24 compared to 1080(i/p)/60?
- How is the deinterlacing if outputting 1080p/60 - have the issues evident with the A20 been resolved?
- General observations when comparing it against G2 units.
- Any other issues to report?

I've just re-read my post and it actually sounds a bit snotty, apologies, this wasn't my intention!! It's just that I sold my A2 a few months back specifically to buy a new player that outputs 1080p/24. I'm interested to know whether there may be any issues with 1080p/24 output on the A30, and whether it is an improvement on the A20 in any regard?

Also, I'm aware of the extra benefits that you gain by choosing an XA2, but purely in terms of HD-DVD playback at 1080p/24, will there be any difference in PQ between the A30 & XA2? (once the issue with 1080p/24 being output at exactly 24 rather than 23.98 on the XA2 has been resolved).

Cheers, and best of luck to all you lucky owners!!
stuartbrown21 is offline  
post #477 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Artslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why are there no indepth reviews of the A30?

Well there are a couple, both are mostly negative by posters with less than 10 posts.
I can't tell they are honest reviews, trolls, or worse planted posts from the blu ray camp.
Artslinger is offline  
post #478 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BillKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbrown21 View Post

It would be great and far more useful to actually hear the following from owners:

- Actual timings for booting up / disc loading etc (faster than G2?)
- Observations regarding the players general responsiveness
- From those with compatible displays, how do you rate HD-DVD at 1080p/24 compared to 1080(i/p)/60?
- How is the deinterlacing if outputting 1080p/60 - have the issues evident with the A20 been resolved?
- General observations when comparing it against G2 units.
- Any other issues to report?

- Approximately 45 seconds to boot up - about 20-30 seconds to load. No clue how that compares to G2 I don't have one.
- It seems pretty responsive - FF and RW are much choppier than my old Oppo though - everything else feels "normal" for a dvd player to me.
- My display only accepts 1080p/24 - but it seems fine with my Pioneer.
- Can't comment
- Can't comment
- My unit has locked up twice during boot up - both times I had to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to force it to reboot.

~Bill
BillKen is offline  
post #479 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
HD_Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 551
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbrown21 View Post

I'm a little surprised given that the A30 has been around for a week or so now that I'm still to read more than a handful of reviews. Most posts in the relevant threads seem to concern:

- Whether x TV can accept 1080p/24 signal?
- Why x TV has y picture defect?
- Is HD media better than cable/satellite HD?
- Is '300' the same as the retail version?

etc etc.............

It would be great and far more useful to actually hear the following from owners:

- Actual timings for booting up / disc loading etc (faster than G2?)
- Observations regarding the players general responsiveness
- From those with compatible displays, how do you rate HD-DVD at 1080p/24 compared to 1080(i/p)/60?
- How is the deinterlacing if outputting 1080p/60 - have the issues evident with the A20 been resolved?
- General observations when comparing it against G2 units.
- Any other issues to report?

I've just re-read my post and it actually sounds a bit snotty, apologies, this wasn't my intention!! It's just that I sold my A2 a few months back specifically to buy a new player that outputs 1080p/24. I'm interested to know whether there may be any issues with 1080p/24 output on the A30, and whether it is an improvement on the A20 in any regard?

Also, I'm aware of the extra benefits that you gain by choosing an XA2, but purely in terms of HD-DVD playback at 1080p/24, will there be any difference in PQ between the A30 & XA2? (once the issue with 1080p/24 being output at exactly 24 rather than 23.98 on the XA2 has been resolved).

Cheers, and best of luck to all you lucky owners!!

Great questions! In addition, any confirmation as to which Anchor Bay chip is used for upconversion? It has been speculated that if it uses the newer chip, that upconversion might be fairly comparable to the Reon chip found in the XA2 -- could this be correct? If so, the A30 might be a great bargain indeed.
HD_Lantern is offline  
post #480 of 3694 Old 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM
Member
 
stuartbrown21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

- Approximately 45 seconds to boot up - about 20-30 seconds to load. No clue how that compares to G2 I don't have one.
- It seems pretty responsive - FF and RW are much choppier than my old Oppo though - everything else feels "normal" for a dvd player to me.
- My display only accepts 1080p/24 - but it seems fine with my Pioneer.
- Can't comment
- Can't comment
- My unit has locked up twice during boot up - both times I had to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to force it to reboot.

Cheers!! Extremely useful information.

Boot up and load times sound similar to G2 units, as does general responsivenes. It's slightly disappointing that these appear to be simply rehoused G2 units - BUT - my A2 was superb for playback and the only thing it lacked was 1080p/24. I'll get over a bit of slowness in operation if the AQ & PQ are of the same high standard, and with no motion judder!!

Once again, thanks for the info.
stuartbrown21 is offline  
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off