**Official Toshiba HD-A3/30/35 Thread** - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3694 Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, with the delays, I'm hoping Toshiba did something to improve the loading times and consistently of the players, much like the A35 (compared to the lack of improvement in the a30)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3694 Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What kind of DACs are the new players sporting?

Newer versions of Burr-Browns, or the same used since the initial A series?
post #723 of 3694 Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I have had my A30 for about a week. I got it from Robert. Ok from what i have been told this player will not resume play after you stop a HD-DVD. Last night i played 2 Sd-DVD and on the SD-DVDs the resumed worked, but the menu for the SD-DVDs mostly did not work. I could not get the up down arrow to work most of the time however i finely did. So is this a problem everyone is having or is this just bad firmware and maybe Robert had a fix for this or do i have a bad unit?
I do like the picture and sound from this player but the firmware is bad.

Thanks.

btw Robert you may want to get a postage machine. The DVE DVD you sent me had a postage due of .71 cents.
Just a thought, Just a thought.
post #724 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 01:15 AM

Anybody got shipping notice from VE for your A3 ??????????

post #725 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:44 AM
cam

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1969 View Post

Its my understanding that the receivers won't light up say "True HD" , that in the eyes of the receiver its just an improved DD7.1 or 5.1 and since the HD-DVD player is encoding it, comes through your AV receiver as just DD. I could be wrong, but I just bought a Sony STR-DG910 and its the same thing with that, since none of the current generations of received have TrueHD yet.

Dolby TrueHD is a PCM stream(not Bitystream) so you need to make sure you set that audio output on the player

So Uzra, you may be hearing TrueHD on your 705.

I have read from somewhere which says the opposite, that means to get the un-decoded sound track from the player to a capable AV amp, you need to send it in its original bitstream format.
post #726 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 AM

PCM is a digital format, so therefore it is technically a bitstream, but to say that True HD is a PCM stream is false. They are two different types of bitstreams.

-Steve
post #727 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 AM

If you are sending bitstream to the 705 and the TrueHD light is not on you are not getting TrueHD. In another thread Urza said that he figured out what his problem was and he got TrueHD on and the indicator on his 705 was on.
post #728 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I have had my A30 for about a week. I got it from Robert. Ok from what i have been told this player will not resume play after you stop a HD-DVD. Last night i played 2 Sd-DVD and on the SD-DVDs the resumed worked, but the menu for the SD-DVDs mostly did not work. I could not get the up down arrow to work most of the time however i finely did. So is this a problem everyone is having or is this just bad firmware and maybe Robert had a fix for this or do i have a bad unit?
I do like the picture and sound from this player but the firmware is bad.

Thanks.

btw Robert you may want to get a postage machine. The DVE DVD you sent me had a postage due of .71 cents.
Just a thought, Just a thought.

I believe that resume and other goodies on HD have to be authored on the HD disk. SDs' do not have this limitation so they pick up were you left off just fine. On some SDs the top menu is quirky, eg: you can select a menu option but the indicator for what you are trying to select doesn't move with the arrow. This is true on my XA2 with the new 2.5 firmware. Definitely a bug.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #729 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its my understanding that the receivers won't light up say "True HD" , that in the eyes of the receiver its just an improved DD7.1 or 5.1 and since the HD-DVD player is encoding it, comes through your AV receiver as just DD. I could be wrong, but I just bought a Sony STR-DG910 and its the same thing with that, since none of the current generations of received have TrueHD yet.

Dolby TrueHD is a PCM stream(not Bitystream) so you need to make sure you set that audio output on the player

So Uzra, you may be hearing TrueHD on your 705.

The 605 series of Onkyo receivers and up are accepting DD THD and DTS HD MA bitstream over HDMI 1.3 and the the THD indicator is showing up on the receiver just fine. I don't think your Sony is capable of this.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #730 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

Does the A35 properly resume playing STANDARD DVDs after power down by the usual method of pressing Stop, shutting down, powering up, and pressing play. Also, does it offer the ability to show time remaining? These are both serious omissions on the XA2. Thanks.

No resume after powering down - it resumes fine after pressing stop one time then pressing play again - but not after it's been powered off - sorry.

It does display time remaining - but only on the LED panel - not on screen. (I sure would like for that to be offered via firmware - can't imagine it'd be that hard since the on screen display shows the counter anyway)

~Bill
post #731 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 10:35 AM

Any comments on cd playback on the A35? Sound quality? Also will cd's resume playback after pause? Thanks.
post #732 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 AM

So, I got my A30 from Robert. Quick ship & great price, thanks!

This is my first HD-DVD player.
I did not find the load times to be that slow & the menus are awesome.
Both movies that came with player are letterbox, which I can do without. They look great. However, SD discs look bad, especially older movies. Scarface looks horrible & the screen shrinks down to a centered rectangle. This is at 1080p 24fps. on a Mits. 57732. On the other hand, Sin City looks awesome. Neither of these look as good as they did on my OPPO upconverting DVD player which put out 1080i (the silver model with DVI interface). I have had that for years and hoping the A30 would be as good or better on SD discs but clearly, it is not. If you have a big screen the XA2 would be a better buy if you want good upconversion.

MFR
post #733 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortfeazor View Post

Both movies that came with player are letterbox, which I can do without. They look great. However, SD discs look bad, especially older movies. Scarface looks horrible & the screen shrinks down to a centered rectangle. This is at 1080p 24fps. on a Mits. 57732. On the other hand, Sin City looks awesome. Neither of these look as good as they did on my OPPO upconverting DVD player which put out 1080i (the silver model with DVI interface). I have had that for years and hoping the A30 would be as good or better on SD discs but clearly, it is not. If you have a big screen the XA2 would be a better buy if you want good upconversion.

MFR

Sounds like the player is sticking to the aspect ratio each movie was encoded with, which my XA1 does as well. The only in-the-box movies I've seen mentioned so far with the G3 players are 300 and Bourne Identity, and neither are letterboxed. They aren't 1.78 or 1.85:1 (300 is 2.4:1), which means they will have black bars top and bottom on your 16:9 screen. Your older Scarface probably really is letterboxed, which means it's actually 4:3 and is why it shows up as a small centered rectangle. Telling your player it's talking to a 4:3 or 4:3 pan-and-scan set can help somewhat with those older letterboxed discs.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #734 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

....... Last night i played 2 Sd-DVD and on the SD-DVDs the resumed worked, but the menu for the SD-DVDs mostly did not work. I could not get the up down arrow to work most of the time however i finely did. So is this a problem everyone is having or is this just bad firmware and maybe Robert had a fix for this or do i have a bad unit?

I have had this problem on some SD DVDs. It's not so much that the arrow keys do not work as that the menu item currently selected does not get highlighted. You have to count how many times you have pressed the arrow key to know which menu item you are on. Or just press the select/enter key and see where you go. Trying to select an individual chapter to play has sometimes been impossible. Seems to happen more frequently on older discs than the newer ones. I don;t think it's a bad unit. It's more of a software problem.
post #735 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The A3 and the A30 has the same VP chip correct? so aside from the 1080p vs 1080i the SD DVD upconverting should look the same?
I have been reading some reviews about the 2nd gen players and have seen several comments about the A20 doing a better job of upconverting than the A2 but then have also seen reviews say that the A3 is a rebodied A2.
I have a A3 on pre-order with VE and thinking about upgrading to the A30 if there is going to be a difference in SD DVD playback.
post #736 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

No resume after powering down - it resumes fine after pressing stop one time then pressing play again - but not after it's been powered off - sorry.

It does display time remaining - but only on the LED panel - not on screen. (I sure would like for that to be offered via firmware - can't imagine it'd be that hard since the on screen display shows the counter anyway)

Thank you very much for providing confirmation that Toshiba is still using engineers to design their products who apparently have never actually watched a DVD on a DVD player in their lives. Pitiful.
post #737 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortfeazor View Post

MFR

I would recommend not outputting SD-DVDs at 1080p with this unit. I have the A30 and while 1080p24 (bypass) is perfect for HD-DVDs, the de-interlacing of the unit is subpar for SD-DVDs. I use the 1080p24 option for HD-DVD playback and 1080i for SD-DVDs...I think you'll notice a big improvement.
post #738 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

So does anyone (Robert chime in if you can) have an idea as to what the loading time variance is between the A30 and A35? I have an A30 now and it certainly seems to take a solid 45s to boot up. From what I've heard this startup time is significantly reduced on the A35 and it may be worth the money to upgrade to this unit or a XA2 if need be.
post #739 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

So does anyone (Robert chime in if you can) have an idea as to what the loading time variance is between the A30 and A35? I have an A30 now and it certainly seems to take a solid 45s to boot up. From what I've heard this startup time is significantly reduced on the A35 and it may be worth the money to upgrade to this unit or a XA2 if need be.

My A35 seems to average about 35 seconds to boot up. Loading time I haven't really timed yet (so I'm guessing it must be pretty reasonable or it'd make me crazy).

~Bill
post #740 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

My A35 seems to average about 35 seconds to boot up. Loading time I haven't really timed yet (so I'm guessing it must be pretty reasonable or it'd make me crazy).

Thanks for the quick reply...so basically all the units are still slow. The difference between 35s and 45s to me is negligible (my own preference)...hopefully one day we'll have 5-10s boot times.
post #741 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Hi, I called Best Buy in Chicago and they said the 35's were not being released until October 28th (or they wont have in stock until then)..does anyone have any clue as to where I can pick one of these up in Chicago and more importantly when..Amazon keep changing their availability date from Oct 1st to the 15th to no date at all....I just cant wait to get my hands on one..
post #742 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightsection View Post

Hi, I called Best Buy in Chicago and they said the 35's were not being released until October 28th (or they wont have in stock until then)..does anyone have any clue as to where I can pick one of these up in Chicago and more importantly when..Amazon keep changing their availability date from Oct 1st to the 15th to no date at all....I just cant wait to get my hands on one..

Why not order from Robert (VE). Better price than Best Buy and you can get it in two or three days.
post #743 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 03:01 PM

hi - im in ireland at the minute and will be in Chicago in the next 2 weeks on holidays - will value electronics ship to ireland?
thanks for responding so quickly..appreciated
post #744 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 PM

Saw elsewhere that Bestbuy is giving 10 Free HDs with a $399 A30(5 from Toshiba mail in), and then looked at Value Electronics site to see that they are now offering more free movies as well(although they are not true HD movies) and double boxing, hdmi cable etc

Is VE going to give all the preorder people these extra items as well. Does anyone else feel a little slighted. I have an A3 on order at VE, yet to be received, and wondering if I will get the new deal.

Curious?
post #745 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that my A2 boots up to the "No Disc" screen in about 20-30 seconds.

Are you saying it takes double this for the A35 or do you mean with a disc in the machine?

That seems backwards.
post #746 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:43 PM

Any verdict on deinterlacing issues when using the A35 with 1080p60 output? I have yet to hear any definitive results on this.
post #747 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Saw elsewhere that Bestbuy is giving 10 Free HDs with a $399 A30(5 from Toshiba mail in), and then looked at Value Electronics site to see that they are now offering more free movies as well(although they are not true HD movies) and double boxing, hdmi cable etc

Is VE going to give all the preorder people these extra items as well. Does anyone else feel a little slighted. I have an A3 on order at VE, yet to be received, and wondering if I will get the new deal.

Curious?

I thought BB was giving 7 HD's
post #748 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCollins View Post

I thought BB was giving 7 HD's

It's actually 9 - Here's the story:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Best_Buy/1026

The nice thing is they are 2 off the shelf - not some crummy movie you don't want
post #749 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's actually 9 - Here's the story:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Best_Buy/1026

The nice thing is they are 2 off the shelf - not some crummy movie you don't want

Will this be for the A3 as well?
post #750 of 3694 Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I got the A35 and tested it with Matrix HD DVD and everything is working, except that I'm not getting 24fps (I know my TV can do it, as I have done it with the Samsung P1400 and PS3). Robert, what are the odds Toshiba would allow 24fps to be "forced on" (like the PS3) via a firmware?

Thanks
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page