post #2521 of 3694 Old 01-23-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

Could one put a series of "dunzel" commands in these macros to buy time for certain components? Could one add on/off a bunch of times, ect. for some old VCR codes for a now gone component?

My RP TV takes 30s or so to warm up. So there is no point in issuing a change video input command until it has. So in the advanced settings for this device I tell the Harmony to wait 35 s before doing anything else. So effectively the Harmony does the following

1. Turn on TV
2. Wait 35 s
3. Set input to whatever
4. Power on other devices as required

Works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 3694 Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got an A30 from Best Buy. One of the free movies I chose was Ocean's 13 (HD-DVD and DVD combo disc). It is the first HD movie I played. It played perfectly until around 1 hr. 22 min., then the picture started to break up, temporarily freeze and then advance several frames at time. And the audio disappeared too. I took the disc out and checked the surface and it is flawless - no smudges or scratches.

I am not sure how to check the firmware version, but in Setup - Maintenance - Update, it said 1.3/1.1 at the top. I think that means it already has the latest firmware, right?

Signal path, if it is relavant: A30 via HDMI to Joytech HDMI Trilink Switcher to 4-year old Sony Wega Rear Projection 768p TV via HDMI to DVI cable.

Audio is A30 to older 5.1 receiver via optical cable.

What do you recommend as a next step:

Exchange the disc?
Exchange the player?
post #2523 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post

I just got an A30 from Best Buy. One of the free movies I chose was Ocean's 13 (HD-DVD and DVD combo disc). It is the first HD movie I played. It played perfectly until around 1 hr. 22 min., then the picture started to break up, temporarily freeze and then advance several frames at time. And the audio disappeared too. I took the disc out and checked the surface and it is flawless - no smudges or scratches.

I am not sure how to check the firmware version, but in Setup - Maintenance - Update, it said 1.3/1.1 at the top. I think that means it already has the latest firmware, right?

Signal path, if it is relavant: A30 via HDMI to Joytech HDMI Trilink Switcher to 4-year old Sony Wega Rear Projection 768p TV via HDMI to DVI cable.

Audio is A30 to older 5.1 receiver via optical cable.

What do you recommend as a next step:

Exchange the disc?
Exchange the player?

It is most likely having trouble changing layers on the disc. You could try exchanging the disc to see if it helps. This has happened to me with HP and the Order of the Phoenix and Bourne Identity so far

Yes the 1.3 is the latest firmware so you are good there.

I am hoping the next firmware update will help smooth out these layer transfers...
post #2524 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 AM

i watched 11 movies out of 48 i own and when watching face/off on the sceen where caster troy shoots the female fbi agent and throws her out the plane(begining of movie ) picture breaks up (like hd tv) and frezzes a few times i have to skip that chapter and everthing is perfect after that always happens at that scene other 11 movies i played where ok . the disk is perfect brand new bought it one month ago and opened it last night i have a HD-A30 and did not have to update the firmware as it said i had the latest out of box version 1.3/1.1 any clues??
1. will this continue to happen with others i have played yet.
btw on my xbox 360 addon the movie plays flawless
so should i just return it??
what do you all think
i keep hearing all these freezin stories so im not sure as im new any advice guys/gals from AVS??
post #2525 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemccl View Post

Same with me, except the disk was HD Superman Returns. Firmware is 1.3. It happened again while playing one of the Special Features on the disk. I stopped playback and went back to the movie to the same spot I had an issue with, and it played perfectly. I thought it was a bad disk, now I'm not sure. I'm hoping the next Firmware release fixes these issues.
post #2526 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

My RP TV takes 30s or so to warm up. So there is no point in issuing a change video input command until it has. So in the advanced settings for this device I tell the Harmony to wait 35 s before doing anything else. So effectively the Harmony does the following

1. Turn on TV
2. Wait 35 s
3. Set input to whatever

Works fine.

I haven't had a Harmony yet. Some of us are stille using ancient Marantz RC2000's.... I don't think mine has a delay function. My life is purr-dy harmonious but when the LED in the Marantz gets a little dimmer, I'll check out those Harmony phasers.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #2527 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

I haven't had a Harmony yet. Some of us are stille using ancient Marantz RC2000's.... I don't think mine has a delay function. My life is purr-dy harmonious but when the LED in the Marantz gets a little dimmer, I'll check out those Harmony phasers.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! You still have one???? Well, if you want another if yours breaks, I still have mine too! I think in the macros there may be a way to enter delays. That was quite a remote in its time. Since then, though, I had replaced it with a Phillips Pronto 7000 (which is a real PITA to program), then recently tried a few others until I settled on the Harmony 1000 and THIS one is a keeper! Nice fairly large LED touch screen, and is way so easy to program! Yes, a bit more costlier than the other Harmony remotes, but looks great on the coffee table, the larger screen has bigger fonts (no need to squint at tiny lettering or icons), the touch screen is great, and is still way cheaper than the Pronto or Universal Remotes similar to it.
post #2528 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!! You still have one???? Well, if you want another if yours breaks....

Essentially, I have 4 of them. Two of 'em are the version for the 2 Marantz AV9000's pre's I have. I stille use one of 'em at this point. Then I bought 2 of the RC2000's when they were closing them out. The last one I got for $50. Someday, I'll need to replace them all because the readouts are getting fainter over time. I'll miss 'em when they're gone, someday. I'm so used to them.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #2529 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHSER7 View Post

I had the same problem with my A30, every movie I played froze 3/4 of the way in each time. I exchanged for a new one, but I have not had time to watch any movies since the exchange.

My A30 has been doing the same thing with multiple new movies. The time isn't consistent for me, it's typically around 3/4 of the way through the movie and it will start to skip, or freeze. I sometimes get out of sync audio with TrueHD tracks as well.

My A2 never had these problems...which I just received today back from Toshiba after the last firmware update bricked it

Has everyone who has experienced these problems had to return their A30?
post #2530 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM

[quote=RaiderRodney;12915516]It is most likely having trouble changing layers on the disc. You could try exchanging the disc to see if it helps. This has happened to me with HP and the Order of the Phoenix and Bourne Identity so far

QUOTE]

Thanks. I did take the disc back to Best Buy. I had them play it in their demo A30 and it did not freeze. So I assumed the player was the problem and exchanged the A30 and kept the disc. But the disc froze in the same spot on my 2nd unit. So I exchanged the disc and the new one plays OK in my 2nd unit (it probably would have played OK in my first unit too).

It's odd that the first disc would freeze on both of the two A30's I tried but it played OK on the BB demo unit. Both my units had the same "batch" number on a sticker on the box. Maybe their demo unit was from a different batch.
post #2531 of 3694 Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

My A30 has been doing the same thing with multiple new movies. The time isn't consistent for me, it's typically around 3/4 of the way through the movie and it will start to skip, or freeze. I sometimes get out of sync audio with TrueHD tracks as well.

My A2 never had these problems...which I just received today back from Toshiba after the last firmware update bricked it

Bricked my A2 as well, for me it happened during 2.7 firmware upgrade. Got the A35 to replace it but I too am experiencing audio dropouts and freezing with certain HD DVD's, of my collection tested so far 40 Year Old Virgin and Tokyo Drift. Because of this issue I sent my A2 off to the Depot for repair, have working firmware placed on it. I wasn't going bother at first until I found the A35 not to be as solid as my pre-bricked A2.
post #2532 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

1. Turn on TV
2. Wait 35 s
3. Set input to whatever

Works fine.

I have an 890. I am having trouble setting the order of powerup with input selection. Where in the setup is it? I have a delay set for the TV itself, but it goes through the powerups and then worries about inputs. I can set the order in which devices powerup, but I can not seem to find a way to tell it to powerup 1 device, wait, set its input then complete the rest of the devices.
post #2533 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Is anyone else having trouble with SD DVD menus on the A30? It seems most of the menus on startup are not responding to any remote inputs except in very rare circumstances, so it takes me 5 minutes just to get lucky enough to be able to start the movie. Response is the same for player buttons. It just doesn't do anything.
post #2534 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudidoody View Post

Is anyone else having trouble with SD DVD menus on the A30? It seems most of the menus on startup are not responding to any remote inputs except in very rare circumstances, so it takes me 5 minutes just to get lucky enough to be able to start the movie. Response is the same for player buttons. It just doesn't do anything.

Are you using 1080p/24? Many SD DVD's will have issues with the menu system at that setting.
post #2535 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 05:36 PM

I just set up my new Pioneer 5080 plasma and a Toshiba A3. I have never really looked at the output of either HD or Blu Ray except at a retailer. When I put in my first HD DVD I get black horizontal bands at the top and bottom of my screen. My question is, is this normal and if so will it affect burn in on my TV?

Thanks in advance!
post #2536 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton View Post

Are you using 1080p/24? Many SD DVD's will have issues with the menu system at that setting.

Yes, I am. Thanks for the tip.
post #2537 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudidoody View Post

Yes, I am. Thanks for the tip.

No problem, the following is from the UltimageAVmag review:
Quote:

As with the updated HD-A20 I reviewed recently, the HD-A35 will not only play back HD DVDs at 1080p/24, but will do the same for standard DVDs as wellsomething that no Blu-ray player we know of will do. But Toshiba does not recommend using 1080p/24 on standard DVDs, nor does it promote this capability. The player was apparently not specifically designed for this feature, so its 1080p/24 standard DVD performance is not seamless. But note that setting up the player to output 1080p/24 for HD DVDs also engages 1080p/24 output for DVDs, whether we or Toshiba want it to or not!

If, for example, you set the player to 1080p/24 before you start a standard DVD, the disc, the menus will not work correctly, making it difficult to set up for playback or navigate to specific scenes using the Scenes menu. The only way around this is to start the disc in 1080p/60 or a lesser resolution, stop it immediately after the movie starts, change the resolution to 1080p/24, then push Play to resume (recall that the HD-A35's resume function works on standard DVDs but not on HD DVDs). Obviously, this tap dance is not required on film-based HD DVDs, which work fine at 1080p/24, your display permitting.

post #2538 of 3694 Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRSX View Post

Yes, for a $309 refund from Amazon. (Now A30 selling for half as much from there.) And my A2, which I'm currrently using, hardly ever has trouble tracking movies, including those from Netflix.
post #2539 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:

Bricked my A2 as well, for me it happened during 2.7 firmware upgrade. Got the A35 to replace it but I too am experiencing audio dropouts and freezing with certain HD DVD's, of my collection tested so far 40 Year Old Virgin and Tokyo Drift. Because of this issue I sent my A2 off to the Depot for repair, have working firmware placed on it. I wasn't going bother at first until I found the A35 not to be as solid as my pre-bricked A2.

Yeah, I currently have my A2 sitting under my A30 and despite the 1080p (which honestly doesn't look any better than 1080i) my A2 is back to being my default player. I'll probably call Toshiba tomorrow and send the A30 back.

Other than the combo disc of 300 I had zero issues with my A2. My A30, however, has been very bad. I'm extremely disappointed with this player. Unfortunately I think I'm out of the return window. I already received a price correction from Amazon.
post #2540 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 01:55 PM

Update on the return of my A3 to Toshiba for repair:

I mentioned a few notes back that I had been experiencing freezing problems on all HD disks with my A3 and sent it to Toshiba for repair. They sent me a brand new unit, which I received yesterday. While I obviously haven't had time to run through every HD movie I own, I put in a scratched Untouchables which previously would freeze up at the same spot in my first machine and it played through without a hint of a freeze. No shudder, no hesitation. I put in Eastern Promises, a combo disk, that on my first machine would show up as "No Disk," and now it loaded up just fine. I also tested it on another scratched HD disk that would always stop my first machine cold, and it played through.

I am absolutely thrilled so far. While there were many people not having any problems whatsoever with their third-generation players, there was this small group of folks who were having significant problems (after having eliminated the obvious of updating firmware, initializing the unit and unplugging the unit, and the still real problem of there being manufacturing problems in some disks), it all pointed to a defective unit.

Toshiba was wonderful to deal with, too. When I called, I think I was maybe on hold barely 5 minutes. There was no delay in arranging for the warranty repair. I did have to pay to have my unit shipped to them (I think it was maybe $12 or so to ship UPS), but after having it for almost a week, they called me to say they were shipping me a new unit and when I requested a tracking number by email, a day later I got that.

Will continue to give the new A3 a workout this week but I feel very optimistic.
post #2541 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Another post that now makes me believe that there is no point in waiting for firmware upgrade to fix playback issues. Two choices, return to retailer for a full refund or to Toshiba and have them fix or replace it.
post #2542 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Another post that now makes me believe that there is no point in waiting for firmware upgrade to fix playback issues. Two choices, return to retailer for a full refund or to Toshiba and have them fix or replace it.

I think that's about it. It's sad that the (likely?) last players to market from Toshiba are this poorly manufactured.

If my 360 were quiet (yeah right) and output PCM I'd probably sell both my Toshiba players.

This is starting to make me a blueish purple
post #2543 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM

I am having a HDMI signal problem. Currently own Samsung HL-R4667 and bought a Toshiba HD-A30 player. Updated the player via ethernet to new frmware. Connect the player via HDMI to TV. Player says welcome, TV notices HDMI connected. Get message on screen no signal or weak signal. TV turned on first then player. Go to menu on TV and it shows input HDMI, but no picture. Screen on player also does not show HDMI. This is driving me nuts. Any Help?
post #2544 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM

I just bought A30 tonight.
Can I use HDMI 1.3v cable to connect it to my Mits HC6000 and Onkyo 605 receiver?
Thanks
post #2545 of 3694 Old 01-26-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgtan View Post

I just bought A30 tonight.
Can I use HDMI 1.3v cable to connect it to my Mits HC6000 and Onkyo 605 receiver?
Thanks

Heck yes.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #2546 of 3694 Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 AM

Hi,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this is a dumb and/or often asked question. I just bought an A30 yesterday, but I have not set it up yet. I just started looking at this forum today (after already buying the A30). I did not have time to read the thousands of posts in this thread, but I did read the last few hundred! I'm pretty sure that I saw several posts saying that the A30 was supposedly the best player available for upconverting standard DVDs and yet I also saw some posts that said it did a poor job. Currently I have tons of standard DVDs, so I would really like to have a player that upconverts well. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks,

Gregg
post #2547 of 3694 Old 01-27-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Welcum tu da forim, Gregg! I think the concensus is that the XA2 is Toshiba's best upconverter.

post #2548 of 3694 Old 01-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

I just bought an A3 today and I have it connected up to my Samsung FP-t5084 and the picture quality is FANTASTIC! I am extremely happy and for $100 it was a steal!
post #2549 of 3694 Old 01-27-2008, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anybody know where there there is an online manual for the A30? The Toshiba site has the A35, but not the A30. I'm guessing that the manuals are almost the same, but I like having online manuals for all of my stuff.
post #2550 of 3694 Old 01-27-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleM View Post

Heck yes.

thanks
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version