Well I did it, new HD DVD owner here! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, my name is Paul, 28, and I recently purchased an HD-A2 from the Amazon deal that I saw linked from engadget I believe it was. I have the following observations I'd like to make, if you all will indulge me for a few minutes...

Upon considering the whole HD format war, I watched rather passively until about a month ago. I began to see the prices dropping to what I consider buyable levels, and started looking around at the different websites. Upon coming to blu-ray.com, I was rather shocked to see the type of language I saw there. And I don't mean foul language, though there was certainly a lot of that. But mostly, a type of hysteria almost. Everyone was all "I'm tru-blu 4 life!!!" and "F#%$ HD DVD". And then, the Paramount decision came. Everyone was blaming Microsoft for this!!! I mean, I know they sell an add-on and did some programming work for them, but that's hardly enough to shell out $150m for (which I was never able to find a confirmation of btw, the farthest back I was able to trace the source of that was a NY times article that did not state any clear sources). In fact, I went on that site rather soon after the big announcement, and would you believe that people were actually asking if their website had been hacked, so firmly implanted in their beliefs that blu-ray had "won". They did not believe the press release was real. It was at this point that I turned away from blu-ray.

Then I started looking at some of the HD DVD forums more closely, and what do I find? People talking amongst themselves about firmware updates, various technical problems, conjecture on the war, press releases, a clear list of reasons on why they thought HD DVD was superior, and no foul language. Holy cow! Rather normal hardware discussion! So I began to lurk for a few days, and the Amazon deal hit, and that is when I made my purchase of the HD-A2 So that is my story. Now, onto some observations if you dont mind...

I rarely see anyone with a blu-ray player other than a ps3. I mean, who is really buying these other than ps3 owners? I rarely see people with a stand-alone unit, even on these forums by either blu-ray backers or dual format supporters. Still, with "only" an estimated 3-1 HD DVD stand-alone advantage, I guess some people are. Honestly, with the cost of these units, I'm surprised it isn't higher than that. Surely the movie industry can't throw their support behind a poorly performing game machine, so why have they? Was any real reason given why disney and fox support blu-ray and did so so early on? It seems to me disney is a better fit for HD DVD, and the most I could find on fox was the higher security of the blu-ray.

How long can Sony keep things like this up before it seriously impacts their business? I seriously can't understand why ANY head of any company would ever side with Sony with any format medium of all things. Who are these decision-makers? At what point do you guys think that Sony will become, maybe not a second-class company, but not looked to as an industry dominator and market leader. How many more failures? Would blu-ray failing do it? I know MANY people who had to flip their PS1s upside down to play properly, their PS2s would not play blue cd based games, and they can't even make a battery that doesn't explode for goodness sake! (ok, maybe a little dig there, forgive me)

How long do you think it will take HD DVD to overtake blu-ray in sales? You can expect perhaps another million ps3 consoles sold in the us by the end of the year, of which, maybe 25% will buy blu-ray movies. So figure another 250,000 units just from that. Still, from the low price HD DVD units coming out, it still might happen this year. What do you guys think? Would this be a final nail, or just another one?

What do you think is a bigger blow to blu-ray and/or sony:
1. continued poor ps3 sales
2. warner, disney, or fox moving over
3. low price HD DVD units
4. HD DVD selling more software
5. combo discs being singular movie release, perhaps by universal first
6. changing hardware standards within blu-ray
7. poor dvd yields and increased manufacturing/licensing costs

Which brings me to another point. I was thinking about this. What do you think the chances are that 1.0 will just become the blu-ray standard and just say, "work with that the best you can we still have next gen pq and sound", thereby eliminating legacy issues?

I guess that about does it. So, let's here some opinions!

I just want to end on something and say that though the price is superior, and the paramount announcement is great, that would not have been enough to sell me on HD DVD at this point. But the etiquette and lemming mentality of the ps3 dominated blu-ray forums is what drove me to HD DVD. That sort of fanaticism is unhealthy and wrong, whether you are talking about politics, religion, or (of all things) a storage format. How utterly ridiculous.

Sincerely,
Paul Kroenke

From the NEW $699 Sony BDP-S500 and $1299 BDP-S2000ES manuals...

"This player supports BD-ROM Profile 1 only. Playback of later versions of BDs is not guaranteed."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Paul,

Welcome to the forum and to the world of high-def on disc! Your first post was intelligent, well-worded and gave us a nice glimpse into the thought process surrounding your decision. You are obviously a perfect individual to be joining the HD-DVD crowd (and it is getting crowded) here on AVS!

Mark
post #3 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Welcome to the club. Your decision to come off the fence definitely contributes to the format, and to your home theater experience.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #4 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 06:48 PM

Paul,

Welcome to the fold, red is a nice color, ain't it.
post #5 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Paul,
Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the world of HD DVD!
post #6 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome to the 'family' Paul

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM

Welcome, Paul -- I hope you get much enjoyment from your new toy! Very interesting first post; I share your concerns about the lack of both moderation and rational thinking shown in the Blu-oriented sites. Perhaps the majority of the fanatic Blu-bois are 14 year olds, posting from Mummy'n'Daddy's basement? Sprinkled amongst them, though, are Sony's paid agents provocateurs, organised to fan feelings of loyalty in the faithful, and spread FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) amongst the fence-sitters in a vicious viral marketing campaign.

Anyway, back to more important things -- what were the first HD DVDs you bought? What did you think as you first viewed them in high-def?

"Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge away."

When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
post #8 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:17 PM

Paul welcome. I completely agree with all of your observations. Especially the one about BD supporters. I think the primary reason for the level of decorum shown by HD supporters as opposed to BD supporters, is that you have to be quite knowledgeable to choose a format that you have been told is going to lose because you have to be able to see through all the BS that is being thrown around. Also, as you've noted, PS3 dominates the BD field, so there is somewhat of that videogame console fanaticism involved.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaivo View Post

Paul welcome. I completely agree with all of your observations. Especially the one about BD supporters. I think the primary reason for the level of decorum shown by HD supporters as opposed to BD supporters, is that you have to be quite knowledgeable to choose a format that you have been told is going to lose because you have to be able to see through all the BS that is being thrown around. Also, as you've noted, PS3 dominates the BD field, so there is somewhat of that videogame console fanaticism involved.

Well stated, sir.

Go ahead, take a Chill Pill.
post #10 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 159

<-- You have chosen wisely!
post #11 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM

Paul very well said! I posted in a thread about a month ago that the blu folks mentality was driving people the other way and what they were saying was not in their formats best interest and they more or less laughed me off. Well your post is the very proof that I was talking about which shows that it indeed helped in your decision of picking the HD DVD format. And believe me you are not the only one who came to that conclusion on that basis, I have heard from others as well.

Anyways, Enjoy your new player!
post #12 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM

Sorry Paul....
post #13 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
"3. low price HD DVD units"
I believe that is the reason why HD-DVD will win the format war,that was the main reason VHS beat Beta.I recently bought a A2 because the price was dropping and the announcement by Paramount/Dreamworks,that and I will never buy anything from Sony again.Sony only had two good products:the Walkman and Digital8 camcorder.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Welcome.

Quote:
What do you think is a bigger blow to blu-ray and/or sony:

4. HD DVD selling more software. HDDVD outsold them all 2006, so 2007 gets to be BDs year (thanks to the PS3 being new and cool), but i have my doubts they'll be able to cary it forward into 2009.

And don't forget to tell us how much you enjoy HDDVD once your player arrives.

International HDDVD Screenshot Archive (Full 1080p Images): www.hdmovies.co.nz
post #15 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:41 PM

I will throw my insight in as well. I have been a PS3 owner since January and have enjoyed blu-ray. I did however feel like I was missing out on something and certain titles I wanted were exclusive to HDDVD. I am now NEUTRAL as I bought a XA2 off Amazon during their deals this weeks and I made about 4 separate orders for HDDVDS. I thought for the longest time that Blu-ray was going to win and it was only a matter of time, especially after all their announcements for upcoming titles. Well, after months and months passed with delay after delay (yes I'm talking about you FOX!) and no product on shelves and with HDDVD seemingly picking up momentum each week I was having doubts. I will fully 100% admit that the Paramount bombshell is the reason that took me off the fence and jumping head first into HDDVD. Upon hearing their announcement the only thing going through my head over and over was "f*ck, no transformers for me". I am no fanboy of either format, I just want to be able to enjoy Hi Def movies no matter what the format. I can say that I feel like a huuuuge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I no longer have to worry about missing out on a movie I want. I am in this for the best picture/best sound that I can get in my home theater environment. Most things in this battle are pure hype and never pan out or aren't as important as touted and I have to skip over shameless thread over thread with nothing but bashing the other format. I have since changed my stance on who I think is in the lead and I am beginning to think HDDVD is only one more BIG announcement away from completely turning the tide and taking over (perhaps the if the rumored Warner going HDDVD exclusive comes to fruition).Another huge factor for me going HDDVD with the XA2 is the continued super suport I have read about on here from Toshiba with their firmware updates. Reading that the XA2 will soon be capable of handling output of 24 and bitstream audio made my decision that much easier. While others are bickering on the forums I will be kicking back and enjoying HD at it's finest.

Hi-Def is where it's at
post #16 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool JAWA View Post

I will throw my insight in as well. I have been a PS3 owner since January and have enjoyed blu-ray. I did however feel like I was missing out on something and certain titles I wanted were exclusive to HDDVD. I am now NEUTRAL as I bought a XA2 off Amazon during their deals this weeks and I made about 4 separate orders for HDDVDS. I thought for the longest time that Blu-ray was going to win and it was only a matter of time, especially after all their announcements for upcoming titles. Well, after months and months passed with delay after delay (yes I'm talking about you FOX!) and no product on shelves and with HDDVD seemingly picking up momentum each week I was having doubts. I will fully 100% admit that the Paramount bombshell is the reason that took me off the fence and jumping head first into HDDVD. Upon hearing their announcement the only thing going through my head over and over was "f*ck, no transformers for me". I am no fanboy of either format, I just want to be able to enjoy Hi Def movies no matter what the format. I can say that I feel like a huuuuge weight has been lifted off my shoulders and I no longer have to worry about missing out on a movie I want. I am in this for the best picture/best sound that I can get in my home theater environment. Most things in this battle are pure hype and never pan out or aren't as important as touted and I have to skip over shameless thread over thread with nothing but bashing the other format. I have since changed my stance on who I think is in the lead and I am beginning to think HDDVD is only one more BIG announcement away from completely turning the tide and taking over (perhaps the if the rumored Warner going HDDVD exclusive comes to fruition).Another huge factor for me going HDDVD with the XA2 is the continued super suport I have read about on here from Toshiba with their firmware updates. Reading that the XA2 will soon be capable of handling output of 24 and bitstream audio made my decision that much easier. While others are bickering on the forums I will be kicking back and enjoying HD at it's finest.

Nice honest post welcome to HD DVD. I also have both formats. We are the winners!

Joe V.
post #17 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What's this? people playing together and except for 1 snide dig from ALF a civil discourse.

Is a comet heading towards earth?
post #18 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 08:28 PM
BJM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Classic! How appropriate. Nice work!

Brent

...... There is no spoon
post #19 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjmills View Post

Anyway, back to more important things -- what were the first HD DVDs you bought? What did you think as you first viewed them in high-def?

I did not receive it yet, but my 3 free are 300, happy feet, and departed. To be honest, I dont plan on buying many until there is another buy 2 get 1 deal or some such thing, as I also have a Dish Network HD DVR, and now that you can plug in an external HD, I am going to use that to record a lot of HD content.

On a side note, why isn't there more made of this? I have a lot of movies that aren't even out on HDM. Sitting on my dish receiver, I have all 6 Star Wars, and a lot of blu-ray only movies like Pirates of the Caribbean 2, all in 1920x1280 HD and at least 5.1. This should help tide me over for any blu-ray supported studios until a winner is chosen. Does that make me 1/2 dual format?

Though, I still do plan on picking up a lot of movies once I can get them for $10-$15 through a sale or something. Once I see that, I can be good for, depending on the selection, 20-50 movies at one purchase, maybe more. Going to ebay my SD duplicates. BTW, I have included a picture of my current DVD collection, which does NOT include my boxed set rack... So, that is what I have to bring to HD DVD and what blu-ray lost for previously stated reasons.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for their warm greetings. It is much appreciated.

Paul Kroenke

From the NEW $699 Sony BDP-S500 and $1299 BDP-S2000ES manuals...

"This player supports BD-ROM Profile 1 only. Playback of later versions of BDs is not guaranteed."
post #20 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Welcome aboard. You're gonna have a blast!

Nice collection by the way....damn!

post #21 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 PM

Hey Paul welcome to the right side of the fence
post #22 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakron1122 View Post

Hello, my name is Paul, 28, and I recently purchased an HD-A2 from the Amazon deal that I saw linked from engadget
Sincerely,
Paul Kroenke

Welcome Paul, and congratulations.
You have chosen wisely the format that is designed for mass adoption, and as the months go by, you will see for yourself.
I loved your exposition, well thought out and very intelligent, a lot like the HD DVD family.
You'll fit right in.
post #23 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

The best yet.
post #24 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Welcome aboard Paul! Beware of some blu folks though; some of them are allergic to rational thought. Now go get some more HD DVDs!

post #25 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakron1122 View Post

BTW, I have included a picture of my current DVD collection, which does NOT include my boxed set rack... So, that is what I have to bring to HD DVD and what blu-ray lost for previously stated reasons.

Finally, I'd like to thank everyone for their warm greetings. It is much appreciated.

Paul Kroenke

Paul, I never thought I'd say this to another guy...but nice rack! It'll be a while 'til all those DVDs will be released in HD...so it's a good thing that you'll be getting a player that has good upscaling to tide you over until HD titles are cranked out in quantity. I'd guess that you, like me, have the Dish "Everything" package with all the HD channels...but even that doesn't satisfy the HD monkey in me, who keeps saying "Moremoremore!"

"Playing strip poker with an exhibitionist somehow takes the challenge away."

When you're racing...it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
post #26 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 154
All Are Welcome

Djoel
post #27 of 28 Old 08-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member