I just got back to my hotel after attending Toshiba's CEDIA press conference with Jon Spackman, AVS HD DVD/BD Moderator.
The theme was Star Trek and the presenters were dressed in Star Trek outfits and the stage was set with Star Trek decorations. The first presentation was all about their new LCD panels, however, I'll just discuss the HD DVD side of the presentation here.
Here's the list of the new news.
1. All Gen 3 players will be packed with Born Identity and 300. All ********************* Gen 3 advance orders qualify for the two additional titles packed with the players.
2. Buy a HD DVD player and the Star Trek box set and their is a mail-in rebate for a Star Trek HD DVD phaser remote control unit, very cool looking and sound effects. All ********************* pre-orders are eligible.
3. The 5 free HD DVD movies will be extended till 2/28/08 and new titles are added to the selection. xBox and notebook PC with HD DVD drives will qualify for the 5 free HD DVD movie offer.
4. Just considering Warner, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks and Dreamworks Animation more than 125 new titles will be release by the end of '07.
5. Shinco, Ventura, Alpine, Onkyo and Integra and the 3 new Gen 3 HD DVD players will all ship by early Q4 '07.
6. Total HD DVD player unit sales are expected to reach more than 1 million stand alone units by the end of ‘07.
7. Amazon and ValueEletronics.com report the A2 is the #1 best seller.
8. According to NPD data, BD stand alone players have 16% market share, HD DVD enjoys a 33% market share, while SD DVD holds 51%.
9. All studios are going to expand the connectivity features, like on the Star Trek HD DVD you can connect to CBS's server and get a tour of the Star Ship Enterprise.
10. All Toshiba products are Earth friendly and will carry the "Earth Protection" logo on their packaging. There is a long list of things Toshiba has developed to ensure their Earth friendly compliance.
HD DVD boldly goes where no other format has gone before.