i can't decide. spend my money. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
ok, i've had 2 xa2's, both of which have gone back for the same reason (player shut down randomly when playing 1080p, tried many different things, nothing worked)...

also, i really didn't notice any difference when using it for upscaling/de-interlacing vs. my pio59avi putting out 1080i and the display de-interlacing (it's possible this is because i was really frustrated with the xa2 and biased )... so i'm really not inclined to spend the money on it anymore...

options...

1) buy either a2 or a20 at pretty good price. a20 for a few bucks more gives me 1080p24. advantages: cheaper. stable firmware (relatively speaking).

2) order a3 or a30 from robert. costs a bit more. advantages: newer. not that much more than the models they are replacing. disadvantage: no real knowledge of stability of machines.

spend away.

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-27-2007, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

ok, i've had 2 xa2's, both of which have gone back for the same reason (player shut down randomly when playing 1080p, tried many different things, nothing worked)...

also, i really didn't notice any difference when using it for upscaling/de-interlacing vs. my pio59avi putting out 1080i and the display de-interlacing (it's possible this is because i was really frustrated with the xa2 and biased )... so i'm really not inclined to spend the money on it anymore...

options...

1) buy either a2 or a20 at pretty good price. a20 for a few bucks more gives me 1080p24. advantages: cheaper. stable firmware (relatively speaking).

2) order a3 or a30 from robert. costs a bit more. advantages: newer. not that much more than the models they are replacing. disadvantage: no real knowledge of stability of machines.

spend away.

Give 1/4 of your money to charity and then buy and HD-A30. You don't need 1080p.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I love my Xa2 but for you I would say go for the A30.
The free title promo is much better post october first anyways.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-27-2007, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Give 1/4 of your money to charity and then buy and HD-A30. You don't need 1080p.

i already give enough to charity...

if i "don't need 1080p", why not go with the a2 or a3 then?

fwiw, my display is a pio 150fd...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

if i "don't need 1080p", why not go with the a2 or a3 then?

fwiw, my display is a pio 150fd...

Because if you are like me, you'll regret not at least trying a 1080p output. I wouldn't recommend top XA2 or even 1.3a HD-A35 for you but at least have the A30 in case you change your mind later. A3 will keep you wondering ...

That's my logic. I used HD-A1 for 14 months and now expect HD-A35 next week. Have gone from 720p to 1080p front projector capable of 24fps so HD-A35 was needed. SD-DVD don't matter as much as HD DVD's do to me now.

k
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

Because if you are like me, you'll regret not at least trying a 1080p output. I wouldn't recommend top XA2 or even 1.3a HD-A35 for you but at least have the A30 in case you change your mind later. A3 will keep you wondering ...

That's my logic. I used HD-A1 for 14 months and now expect HD-A35 next week. Have gone from 720p to 1080p front projector capable of 24fps so HD-A35 was needed. SD-DVD don't matter as much as HD DVD's do to me now.

k

lol... glad to see i'm not the only one who thinks in that manner...

fwiw, the 150fd does 24fps too... although i'm not really sure i care... either i'm impervious to judder, or i just don't recognize it (and if i don't recognize it, i don't want anyone to tell me what to look for )...

i'm not really concerned about sd dvd's, to be honest... like i said in my original post, i really didn't see any difference (when it worked) between the xa2 scaling/de-interlacing and the 59avi scaling/set de-interlacing...

- chris

post #7 of 7 Old 09-29-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

fwiw, i picked up an a20 at best buy yesterday for $299... i'll play with it for a couple weeks and see where we stand...

- chris

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page