Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof View Post

I know the question was asked but I didn't see an answer:

Is the lipsynch issue solved with the A35?

Is it 23.xx or 24?

My bad... found it in the first page.. lipsync fixed and reading btw the lines, I guess it does handle 23.xx correctly

Now I need to wait for new trip to US to buy the A35 from Robert bought my old XA2 from him in January when I was in US for work.

I know this is pushing it ... but my question hasn't been answered ... either by Robert or Joerod. Is the lipsync correct using the analog audio outs?

Sorry to put anyone out ... but there are lots of us out here who don't want to upgrade our receivers and need those audio outputs. If they don't work properly, it's a deal breaker.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Joerod, If you have the SD HQV disc could you check the film detail test and see how the A35 does with the race car scene. I'm curious how fast it locks on to the 3:2 cadence.

Clark
post #93 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have ordered a A35 from Robert as well, can't wait

-Gary
post #94 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Good point. I am heading down now to do more comparisons... If anyone has any requests now is the time... Going down in 5 minutes....

This may be too late! Would you happen to have the imported T2 version with DTS-HD MA?
post #95 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

I have ordered a A35 from Robert as well, can't wait

-Gary

You giving up on your XA2 Gary?
post #96 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter67 View Post

You giving up on your XA2 Gary?

don't really need it anymore, don't need high-end analog audio output, don't need SD-DVD playback, don't need 1080p/60 output

100% perfect player IMHO, just wanting to move on to the latest and see whats up

-Gary
post #97 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvista View Post

This may be too late! Would you happen to have the imported T2 version with DTS-HD MA?

I know the first thing I am throwing in my A35 when it arrives, T2 DTS Master here I come

-Gary
post #98 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbddvm View Post

You didn't happen to air freight in any of those 905's did you? lol

I would love to air freight NR905s, but they weigh 65 lbs each. I would go broke air freighting them.

-Robert
post #99 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

Great combo, HD-A35, SR805, and VE as your selling dealer.

-Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Robert you do still have some A35's don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV TiVo Dealer View Post

I would love to air freight NR905s, but they weigh 65 lbs each. I would go broke air freighting them.

-Robert

Robert, you're worse than any drug dealer. I need my fix, man.

I now want an A35 to go with my 905 as well.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
post #100 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:29 PM

These drugs are good for your heart and soul and do a great job of entertaining us as well.

-Robert
post #101 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
..anybody from Toronto driving down to pick one of these up from Robert? Mind getting me one as well? heh

I think even with duty and GST, with our dollar now it'd make sense to schlepp... who's in?

post #102 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

don't really need it anymore, don't need high-end analog audio output, don't need SD-DVD playback, don't need 1080p/60 output

100% perfect player IMHO, just wanting to move on to the latest and see whats up

-Gary

isnt the analog audio the same with the XA2 and A35? both 5.1?
post #103 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Thanks Gary, I just ordered the imported version of T2! I also picked up An American Haunting (since it is getting closer to Halloween)...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #104 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Damn, seriously considering selling the XA2 and getting the A35, sounds like a good player.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #105 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It is a very good player but I would consider waiting until Toshiba at least releases their bitstream audio firmware. That and corrects the 1080p/24 goof. Then the XA2 should be complete.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #106 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Gary, I've got to move to your driveway and just pick over the stuff you get rid of...sigh...

Despite the abbreviation to KY, Kentucky's nowhere near anything fun, is it? I guess the pilgrimage is out, then...

post #107 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If there is a picture difference between the XA2 and A35, then it can only be because one of them is tinkering with the original (assuming using HDMI). Fundamentally as it is a digital link and the same source material, every HD DVD player should be capable of outputting the same picture (assuming same output resolution). The fact they don't can only be down to some sort of post processing.

As for audio decoding in the player or in the receiver. I have a high end processor (Lexicon MC-12), which of course does not do TrueHD decoding. However, I like another poster did a very complete set of A/B tests from analogue outputs to coax, comparing CD PCM and Dolby Digital. At first I had cheapy interconnects on and I was not happy with the analogue outputs which sounded like blown midrange and rolled off treble...but after replacing them with decent interconnects, I found it very very hard to hear a difference. In the end I could hear very subtle (and I mean really really subtle) differences, but none that I would say was better or worse than the other. So I just don't buy onto this "must decode in the receiver/processor".

But here is why I suspect a large number of "receiver" owners will hear a positive difference decoding in the player. What do most "receivers" do with a 5.1 analogue signal? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. No distance management, no bass management, no room EQ. Without these things the sound will be impaired, and we know that the XA2 still has some issues with its internal bass management and its crossover controls are poor compared to a receiver/processor.

On the Lexicon this is very different as distance management, bass management and room EQ are all handled with the 5.1 analgoue input. It also will apply Logic 7 processing to obtain a full 7 speaker output. This does mean an additional A->D>A, but the Lexicon is 24bit throughout and does this almost perfectly transparently.

I just don't want to see people jump from the XA2 to the A35 for the wrong reasons especially as Toshiba are still holding their flagsip to the XA2. Loading times are not worth upgrading for. Does anyone know what DACs are in the A35?
post #108 of 637 Old 09-28-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

Why is the HD DVD logo in the player glowing in BLU instead of RED ?

Because the laser is blue-violet, not red!?
post #109 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

If decoding TrueHD to PCM in the HD-DVD player sounds different than sending bitstream to the receiver where the receiver decodes TrueHD to PCM, then there is something fundamentally and mathematically wrong with Dolby TrueHD.

TrueHD is a lossless audio codec, which means whatever PCM data got encoded as a TrueHD track will produce precisely the same PCM data when it's decoded. The transmission over HDMI is digital, so you're not introducing any signal quality issues.

Where the TrueHD is being decoded makes no difference. If it does sound different, then something is applying unnecessary signal processing to the PCM data, and should be considered a design flaw.
post #110 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 12:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naschbac View Post

If decoding TrueHD to PCM in the HD-DVD player sounds different than sending bitstream to the receiver where the receiver decodes TrueHD to PCM, then there is something fundamentally and mathematically wrong with Dolby TrueHD.

TrueHD is a lossless audio codec, which means whatever PCM data got encoded as a TrueHD track will produce precisely the same PCM data when it's decoded. The transmission over HDMI is digital, so you're not introducing any signal quality issues.

Where the TrueHD is being decoded makes no difference. If it does sound different, then something is applying unnecessary signal processing to the PCM data, and should be considered a design flaw.

Don't be silly. If I enable TrueHD on my HTPC it sounds great. Since I have an X-Fi, I can enable the Crystalizer and TrueHD sounds even "better". If others are saying that TrueHD sounds better though the 905 then that's one heck of a great design flaw.

Please feel free to visit MidnightWatcher's Blogspot or follow my NEWS feed on Twitter.
post #111 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
NO offense to jeorod but when I look at overexcited people discussing there new equipment, I am always skeptical till the hype runs down.
post #112 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Completely agree.
post #113 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

It is a very good player but I would consider waiting until Toshiba at least releases their bitstream audio firmware. That and corrects the 1080p/24 goof. Then the XA2 should be complete.

Yah, considering the price I got the XA2 for from Robert, it's probably not worth the swap. I need to get a 605 when the bitstream output is released.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #114 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 01:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Maybe I have the concept wrong, but I thought decoding TrueHD in the player permitted auxilliary audio to be mixed into the resultant PCM stream for output, whereas sending bitstream is effectively only the raw soundtrack from the movie being sent out "unmolested".

In the case of PCM output, there is scope for the player to alter the original soundtrack, so I could understand that there might be a perceived difference between PCM decoded by the player and PCM decoded by the receiver (from bitstream).

And what about the usual Dolby dialogue normalisation and other dynamic range adjustments that can be switched on and off with Dolby Digital soundtracks? If TrueHD also includes these, then it would presumably be up to the decoder to alter the PCM output to suit and if this is done in the player compared to the receiver, then it's another point for having different adjustments applied.

I guess what I'm saying, is that it's important to ensure that both points of decoding (player or receiver) need to be doing the same thing in order for a true comparison to be made. Whether the player permits making the decoding equal to that of a receiver, or whether it introduces other fixed adjustments (for the purposes of cost minimisation) or other colourations would need to be determined.

I don't think the story is as simple as TrueHD->PCM is the same wherever it's done. It would be if all one was doing in both player and receiver was decoding TrueHD directly to PCM, with exactly the same algorithm and settings, and sending it straight out to the DACs. In the real world I think other things are going on.

Quote:

When in Dolby TrueHD mode if you enable director commentary the audio switched to Dolby Digital cinema mode or probably whatever default you have your receiver in. Also, in Dolby TrueHD mode yu can still hear the remote control beeps!

I'm a little confused about the remote control bleeps sounding in TrueHD mode: surely if the soundtrack was being sent to the receiver via bitstream then you wouldn't hear any auxilliary sounds. Maybe I have misinterpreted the context or the way that bitstream versus PCM output works.
post #115 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 02:08 AM

Very nice thread.
I'm still waiting for the EP35's to get released here in the Netherlands.
Probably november....AARRGHH!!
I got the sr875, I got the T2 HD DVD...now all I need is Toshiba's new player.
Joerod, thx for all the updates. I now want mine so bad, I'm almost tempted to import a A35..but I will get in trouble with my free HD DVD's and stuff..

Robert, you don't happen to send players to Europe, do you?

Toshiba is making me very happy!

E.
post #116 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Has it been confirmed whether the HD-A35 uses the new ABT2010 or the same ABT1018 found in the HD-A30?

Personally, I thought the A20 design with the ABT1018 was a noticeable downgrade from the HD-XA2 in terms of 1080p60 output on both DVDs and HD-DVDs. I've heard others make similar comments on the A30.
post #117 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

Robert, you're worse than any drug dealer. I need my fix, man.

I now want an A35 to go with my 905 as well.

hahaha
+1
pulled the trigger on an a35 to go w / my 905

KO
post #118 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

I know this is pushing it ... but my question hasn't been answered ... either by Robert or Joerod. Is the lipsync correct using the analog audio outs?

Sorry to put anyone out ... but there are lots of us out here who don't want to upgrade our receivers and need those audio outputs. If they don't work properly, it's a deal breaker.

Is there certain discs that do this? I have never noticed a lip sync problem and I am using the analog outputs.
post #119 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv View Post

Has it been confirmed whether the HD-A35 uses the new ABT2010 or the same ABT1018 found in the HD-A30?

Personally, I thought the A20 design with the ABT1018 was a noticeable downgrade from the HD-XA2 in terms of 1080p60 output on both DVDs and HD-DVDs. I've heard others make similar comments on the A30.

To add to this question, which video processor do gen 1 players use? specifically the HD A1? Thanx.
post #120 of 637 Old 09-29-2007, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok fellas, fixed the issues. Thanks to Kevnica, the reset on the Onkyo 705 worked. I now get the red TrueHD logo.

I am overall inpressed with the A35. I decided to throw a bunch of combos at this unit, which explains why I am so sleepy at the moment! I ran these movies all the way to the end!

Tried the following

Children of Men
Knocked Up

All played Flawless.

Setup was a breeze with the unit, PQ/AQ were fantastic. The following setup was used in case your curious.

50 inch Panny 1080P set
Onkyo 705
Klipsch Reference Speakers

Only Gripes

1.Loading time was meh! not the slowest thing in the world,but still meh!

2. Fed EX left it on the doorstep!! thats right, Toshiba box just sitting there, Cant believe Fed Ex did that!

I think even more pleasent than the unit, was the service I got from Robert at VE!! thank you Robert!. Great price, fast free shipping, what a breeze.

Get this unit fellas, it gets a 4.75 stars out of 5 from me!

If you all have any questions let me know.

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page