XA2 and Infocus 7200 720P projector questions. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-04-2007, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was using a Bravo D1, switched to a OPPO 970HD, couldn't stand the macroblocking so I gave the oppo to my Mother-in-law who has a Vizio 50" lcd and switched back to the D1. I've been using a 360 HD add on drive, but I'm tired of bring the 360 down for HD DVD's. It sounds like the XA2 is the best at upconverting and the best all around HD player. I would hook the player to the 7200 by way of a DVI switcher and use a Toslink cable for sound hooked up to my Sony TA-E9000es pre/pro.

On the 360 add on drive I have to really turn the sound up a lot. Does the XA2 have this problem also. The 7200 is a 720P projector. I still see no need to spend 5-7,000 for a 1080p projector. I have a 10' wide 16:9 screen and sit about 15" away from the screen.

Is the XA2 the best player for my setup. I just got a 12% off coupon when I use my rewards program card from Best Buy. It can be used to buy any dvd player. With the coupon my price would be 440. This seems like a great price.

Thanks for the replies.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2007, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken7258 View Post

I was using a Bravo D1, switched to a OPPO 970HD, couldn't stand the macroblocking so I gave the oppo to my Mother-in-law who has a Vizio 50" lcd and switched back to the D1. I've been using a 360 HD add on drive, but I'm tired of bring the 360 down for HD DVD's. It sounds like the XA2 is the best at upconverting and the best all around HD player. I would hook the player to the 7200 by way of a DVI switcher and use a Toslink cable for sound hooked up to my Sony TA-E9000es pre/pro.

On the 360 add on drive I have to really turn the sound up a lot. Does the XA2 have this problem also. The 7200 is a 720P projector. I still see no need to spend 5-7,000 for a 1080p projector. I have a 10' wide 16:9 screen and sit about 15" away from the screen.

Is the XA2 the best player for my setup. I just got a 12% off coupon when I use my rewards program card from Best Buy. It can be used to buy any dvd player. With the coupon my price would be 440. This seems like a great price.

Thanks for the replies.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I've got an InFocus 7205 connected to an HD-XA2 via Component Video and HDMI to DVI to M1 via a DVI switcher. On the audio side I am using SPDIF to a Lexicon MC-8 processor. I have a 10" diagonal screen with seating at 12' and 18'. Click on the link in my signature for a description of my setup.

I am quite happy with this arrangement. Perhaps down the road I might upgrade both the projector and processor.

Although I don't view standard DVDs much anymore, the HD-XA2 does a great job of upscaling via the HDMI output. However, there is a known problem with the Toshiba players that are connected via HDMI to DVI. In the vast majority of reported cases the players send the wrong video levels to displays connected via HDMI to DVI. This results in images that are too dark. Included in Toshiba's most recent firmware upgrade, version 2.5, was a new function call RGB Output Range Selection which was specifically designed to address this problem. Unfortunately, it currently doesn't work. I do however expect Toshiba to issue another upgrade to address this issue.

In the interim, until the fix is released, I have had good results in using the HD-XA2's Brightness and Contrast controls to adjust the grayscale on the HDMI output. Using this "workaround" and I get a very good image that has correctly calibrated black and white levels per the HD DVD calibration disc.

I paid $900 for my HD-XA2 back in January and that was $100 under list, so your $440 is an exceptional value. I have had little in the way of complaints with the player, other than this irritation regarding video levels on HDMI to DVI. I have had very few problematic discs and each of the Toshiba firmware upgrades seems to have incrementally improved playability. I frankly can't remember the last time a disc failed to play flawlessly.

If I were you I would take advantage of the great deal.

Larry
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
+1, Love the xa2 with my 720p projector.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page