HD-DVD questitons - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have never seen or used HD-DVD, so I am a little clueless about it at this point. Are the DVD's I can rent at the local video store HD? If not, what is the benefit of buying one of these players?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 11:46 AM

There are plenty of threads about this stuff...ya might want to open a few and you will be rewarded with a ton of info if you are serious about the topic...vs. fishing for trouble.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Not fishing for trouble at all, just asking a newbie question. I want to know why I should spend the money on an HD-DVD player. I'll take a look around... thanks.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummer43 View Post

Not fishing for trouble at all, just asking a newbie question. I want to know why I should spend the money on an HD-DVD player. I'll take a look around... thanks.

You'll find that local video stores carry very little if any Blu Ray's or HD DVD. A few blockbusters will and maybe some mom and pop stores but the only way to rent HD DVD's and Blu Ray discs are using Netflix or Blockbuster online and choosing the appropriate version. the way to find out if a disc is HD is if it comes in a red case and has the "HD DVD" logo up at the top (blu ray will have a blue case with a "Blu Ray" logo embossed on top).
post #5 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never seen or used HD-DVD, so I am a little clueless about it at this point. Are the DVD's I can rent at the local video store HD? If not, what is the benefit of buying one of these players?

Also people who invest in these media players (blu-ray and HD) tend to buy more then rent. Or, they rent to see if they are gonna buy it. I don't live in a big city so I'm buying most of my movies from amazon and other online retailer.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:

Gee whiz, three people took the time to post and not one answered the guy's simple question.

mummer - the DVD's you are used to renting at the video store are NOT HD-DVD. HD-DVD and Blu-ray are new formats with higher resolution than the older DVD format. It's similar to how HiDef television broadcasts have much higher resolution than old TV broadcasts.

The benefit of these players is that, if you have a hi-def TV, you can watch movies with greater clarity, color, and detail than on a regular DVD player. Additionally, all HD-DVD and Blu-ray players will "upconvert" standard DVD's to make them look better.

Note that there are many "upconverting" DVD players out there that claim to provide "near HD" pictures -- this is totally different from HD-DVD and Blu-ray, which are actually a new high-resolution format and not just a scaled-up version of the old format.

Hope this helps!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #7 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 PM

Both Blockbuster and Netflix offer a huge catalog of rentable HD DVDs. I use Netflix and love it!
post #8 of 8 Old 10-05-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

You'll find that local video stores carry very little if any Blu Ray's or HD DVD. A few blockbusters will and maybe some mom and pop stores but the only way to rent HD DVD's and Blu Ray discs are using Netflix or Blockbuster online and choosing the appropriate version. the way to find out if a disc is HD is if it comes in a red case and has the "HD DVD" logo up at the top (blu ray will have a blue case with a "Blu Ray" logo embossed on top).

My local Hollywood movie, rents HD DVD and Blue Ray
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page